Phillips DVDR3505/37 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 205 Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, it means that the unit will tune standard analog TV. Having the ATSC tuner means it will tune the digital HD TV too, but because it's a SD unit, the signal is down-rezed (converted) to SD for recording to the DVD and for output to the TV via HDMI/component/s-vid. So anything you record will be recorded in SD, but it should be clean SD (no analog fuzziness).

Note, if you connect the rf out from the 3505 to your TV (with the antenna to the rf in of the 3505), then you can watch the original "live" OTA signal in HD (that's not altered), but anything over the other outputs will be SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 205 Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Thanks Chris for clarifying that. What about program guide for OTA? Can this do that?
post #183 of 205 Old 04-30-2008, 02:01 PM

I don't think this unit has a program guide. The info button only tells you what show information the station is broadcasting with the signal.
post #184 of 205 Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb0 View Post

I don't think this unit has a program guide. The info button only tells you what show information the station is broadcasting with the signal.

True statement. No program guide, only stream information.
post #185 of 205 Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybarthman View Post

True statement. No program guide, only stream information.

Does that mean it displays the name of the show that's on, with start/end times?
I have an Allegro dvd player/vcr combo, that will display program title name and start/stop times, and I often wonder why other models/companies wouldn't enabled this feature on every unit. It's too useful not to include it.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #186 of 205 Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Does that mean it displays the name of the show that's on, with start/end times?
I have an Allegro dvd player/vcr combo, that will display program title name and start/stop times, and I often wonder why other models/companies wouldn't enabled this feature on every unit. It's too useful not to include it.

You know what? I'm not sure. We use this at my office so I'll look tomorrow.
post #187 of 205 Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y_not View Post

No one has tested 1080p on the new Rev.2 units?

Please update!

I did my F/W update sometime ago, but never had a chance to test if 1080p was available as an option.

Last week, I took my unit to my sister's place and she has a Sony Bravia LCD HDTV. We confirmed that the 1080p signal output was available by pressing HDMI button on the remote.

However, we did not test the upconversion, i.e. "progressive scan option" was turned OFF. Previous reports indicated that this Philips unit did a poor job in upconversion. However, without reference source material, I would not have been able to compare upconvert quality.
post #188 of 205 Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by work4mike View Post

I did my F/W update sometime ago, but never had a chance to test if 1080p was available as an option.

Last week, I took my unit to my sister's place and she has a Sony Bravia LCD HDTV. We confirmed that the 1080p signal output was available by pressing HDMI button on the remote.

However, we did not test the upconversion, i.e. "progressive scan option" was turned OFF. Previous reports indicated that this Philips unit did a poor job in upconversion. However, without reference source material, I would not have been able to compare upconvert quality.

Ok, so I don't understand how others have coped with the SDTV tuner portion of the DVDR3505 losing the channels (even with the auto clock off/firmware updates) but I have recently got myself a DVDR3506 instead and it is working flawlessly.

All the SDTV channels found are now permanent.
post #189 of 205 Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM

I recently tried to use the DV input with my Samsung camcorder and was unsucessful. The 3505 will not recognize my camera and I can't figure out how to transfer my tapes.

I had been using a Panasonic recorder to transfer my tapes. Although the Panasonic also didn't recognize my camera (to allow for the features to be used), it allowed me to use it as a video feed so I was able to transfer. Actually the Panasonic tech help informed to to use it that way.

However, the Philips 3505 won't let me do that. If anyone has this same issue and was able to work around it, please let me know.
post #190 of 205 Old 12-30-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Why can't you use the camera as a "video feed" to the 3505... it has video/audio inputs besides the DV?

For using DV, did you select the DV input, switch the camera to video mode (not camera mode), then press the INFO button to see the camera "CONTROL."
post #191 of 205 Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Wajo, I wanted to use the DV input for the best quality. The RCA output was not very good.

What I do with the Panasonic recorder is to set it to the DV input mode with my camcorder connected via the i-link cable (per Panasonic's tech help advice). The recorder is supposed to recognize the camcorder and allow me to use the recorder's built in controls to control the camcorder. Since this didn't work, I tried what Panasonic told me. I simply play the camcorder, and then using the recorder's remote, I can start recording at any time. The Panasonic's DV input mode acts just like any RCA input where it simply feeds the video and audio stream into the recorder.

I tried to do this with the Philip's 3505 but it wouldn't recognize my camcorder or work the way that I use the Panasonic. If I can't figure this out, my options are buying a new camcorder or stay with the old Panasonic.
post #192 of 205 Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 AM

The unit's fan runs sometimes even when the power is not on. Turning the unit on, and then back off seems to shut it down, but since it's in our bedroom the fan noise is a bit disturbing when we're trying to sleep.

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?

TIA
post #193 of 205 Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletee View Post

The unit's fan runs sometimes even when the power is not on. Turning the unit on, and then back off seems to shut it down, but since it's in our bedroom the fan noise is a bit disturbing when we're trying to sleep.

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?

If the "fan noise" bothers you, you'll have to turn Auto Clock OFF. Philips units with auto clock "spin up" (on standby power) to search for a time signal on all the channels at 11:59am and 11:59pm.

You can then set your clock manually and keep it in sync if it runs slow, as mine do but over a long period of time.

If you really like and need auto clock, you can do my "11:57 Procedure" described here, which sets a specific channel number to search for by using the Auto Clock > Manual menu. It'll still spin up but then only take a few sec to sync to the time signal.

(All this assumes the 3505 is similar to my 3575's.)
post #194 of 205 Old 01-14-2009, 07:27 AM

Problem solved! Thanks so much for the guideance. I never would have guessed that something like that was happening at scheduled intervals.
post #195 of 205 Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad it worked!

Did you set auto-clock OFF or on Manual?
post #196 of 205 Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 PM

I have had my 3505 for about a year and a half. Last week it started making some noises when trying to read a dvd disc. Sometimes it will tell that there is a disc error; at other times it will take a long time before finally reading the disc. At this point it takes along time to jump between sections on the disc.

Has anyone seen this?

Up until now I was happy with my version 2 unit, but this behavior is annoying.
post #197 of 205 Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Glad it worked!

Did you set auto-clock OFF or on Manual?

I turned it 'OFF'.
post #198 of 205 Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkornerup View Post

I have had my 3505 for about a year and a half. Last week it started making some noises when trying to read a dvd disc. Sometimes it will tell that there is a disc error; at other times it will take a long time before finally reading the disc. At this point it takes along time to jump between sections on the disc.

Has anyone seen this?

Up until now I was happy with my version 2 unit, but this behavior is annoying.

Sounds as if it might need the burner's hub/spindle cleaned with swab, lightly moistened with alcohol.

See if you can remove 3505 cover, then see how diff. it might be to get at the rubber center hub area that grips discs... it could easily be slipping, esp. if used in a smoky/dusty room and a habit of handling discs by center hole. While in there, might also be able to gently clean the laser lens... altho you could FIRST try one of those Laser Disc Cleaners found at Walmart, hanging over blank discs, ~$10 and it has helped several people w/o having to get into machine guts.
post #199 of 205 Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Sounds as if it might need the burner's hub/spindle cleaned with swab, lightly moistened with alcohol.

See if you can remove 3505 cover, then see how diff. it might be to get at the rubber center hub area that grips discs... it could easily be slipping, esp. if used in a smoky/dusty room and a habit of handling discs by center hole. While in there, might also be able to gently clean the laser lens... altho you could FIRST try one of those Laser Disc Cleaners found at Walmart, hanging over blank discs, ~$10 and it has helped several people w/o having to get into machine guts.

Thanks for the directions!

I opened up the box and cleaned the parts you mentioned with a Q tip and a touch of Isopropyl alcohol.. The discs seems to spin without a problem, but the laser moves up and down the radius of the disc for up to three minutes (for some discs) before finally recognizing the disc. After this it takes a long time to move between titles and chapters, with the same bouncing back and forth by the laser.
post #200 of 205 Old 02-03-2009, 07:31 PM
mml

Or 3505? Please, please post it.
post #201 of 205 Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Could anyone help me to set the code for free region on may DVD?
post #202 of 205 Old 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Greetings..

I was wondering if anybody has any recording tips. My DVDR records fine just for PBS and broadcast shows.

I like to bypass the DVDR Blue Menu Screen after recording and just record without a menu, (Timer recordings) but I can't find where in the manual.

Any other tips or hacks would be appreciated.

I wonder if it's possible to add a Hard Drive to this unit? Maybe a "Hack" to the next model up? Possible same circuit board and wiring in place? (Yes, dreaming a little.)

I pick this model up at a pawn shop a few years back for $25..luck out I guess records fine...for that price.

Thanks! :thumbs:
post #203 of 205 Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Well you could always open the case and see if the boards are there for the hard drive part but I really doubt it or somebody back when these first came out would have tried it. I don't know a lot about it except it's likely the neutered cousin to the 3575 that came out shortly after it did and I do have two of those.
post #204 of 205 Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks..

If I hit the record button it will record a program without a menu but if I use a timer then adds there ugly "blue" menu. Any tips?

Also how do I record some VHS Tapes(input)..some old tapes won't record. the PhillipsDVDR blocks it with a copyright notice.

(something?vision" is encoded on the tapes..?
post #205 of 205 Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Technically can firewire (ilink) be used as a output for timer recordings? I know it can dub between a camera.

maybe a Firewire HD drive? or another unit with another Phillips model with a hard drive?

Can the hard drives be upgraded? 2T's
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page