Phillips DVDR3505/37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 205 Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I would start this model specific thread for the Phillips DVDR3505/37 since I just spotted it today at Wally's Mega Lo Mart. Shelf stock was at least 15 units. Build date on the box states February 2007. Display unit was just placed on top of an RCA 8030??? (80GB HDD recorder, which was price dropped alot since last month)

To stay within forum rules, the DVDR3505/37 is less than $200.

The box specifically says SDTV tuner for the reception of Digital signals. The shelf tag says DVD Recorder w/ATSC.

I did not buy this unit, as I'm waiting for a recorder with an HDTV tuner that has pass-thru HD and only downscales to 480i/p to a DVD-DL (actually would prefer a unit with a HDD even if it downscaled to 480i/p to the HDD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 205 Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 PM

I bought one of these tonight. The label says newmodweek10 which in Walmart lingo means its supposed to come out next week. I'll try it out and let you know how well it works.
post #3 of 205 Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'd be really interested on how well the OTA tuner works - I assume this will be the same as in the 3575 (HHD equipped unit) .
post #4 of 205 Old 03-27-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjr View Post

I bought one of these tonight. The label says newmodweek10 which in Walmart lingo means its supposed to come out next week. I'll try it out and let you know how well it works.

darjr,
How much did you pay?
post #5 of 205 Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 PM

$169.87,

My only complaint is that finalizing disks takes like 3-4 minutes each.
post #6 of 205 Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought someone in Fla said it was on the shelves at Walmart at just $10 above the current 3390 unit ($139)- that seemed pretty low at the time.
post #7 of 205 Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjr View Post

Have you played with it enough to give us an update? (PQ, 16:9 quality, good points, bad points, etc.)

- Rich
post #8 of 205 Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post

Have you played with it enough to give us an update? (PQ, 16:9 quality, good points, bad points, etc.)

Sorry not yet. One of my friends has been in town that normally lives a long distance away and Ive been spending time with him.

I did use it to record a tv show the other day. The quality has better than my dvdr04/ 5005x. And the disc ony took about 2 minutes to finalize.

I havent tried the hdmi/hd upconversion stuff yet because the tv its hooked too doesnt have hd capabilities.
post #9 of 205 Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 PM

I went to the Philips website to look at this and nowhere does it mention a HDD/ Is this because because the model # actually refers to two machines, i. e., a DVDR3505 without a HDD and a DVDR3537 with HDD? For my part. I'm less concerned about a digital tuner than I am about having a large hard drive. I mean, digital tuners are required by 2009, so they will come, but the convenience of a large HDD is inestimable.

PatH
post #10 of 205 Old 03-31-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatH View Post

I went to the Philips website to look at this and nowhere does it mention a HDD/ Is this because because the model # actually refers to two machines, i. e., a DVDR3505 without a HDD and a DVDR3537 with HDD? For my part. I'm less concerned about a digital tuner than I am about having a large hard drive. I mean, digital tuners are required by 2009, so they will come, but the convenience of a large HDD is inestimable.

PatH

The DVDR3505/37 has no hard drive.
The DVDR3575H/37 has a 160 GB hard drive,
but is not listed on the Philips website yet,
and does not yet have a definite release date.
post #11 of 205 Old 04-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

OK, a little more info. I am in Columbia, SC. They only had one, it was dumped on top of the 3390s and I tried to fool them into giving it to me for the 139, but they didn't go for it.

Definitely does not record anamorphic signals. It neither crops, nor stretches 16:9 programs, but records the black bars as a part of the program, so those scan lines are lost on a wide screen TV. Audio output is only PCM, no 5.1. No USB input either.

The digital info from HD channels is more thorough than what I had with the LG, the Philips gives a whole page of info, with a summary of the program. There is no program guide though.

Picture quality with commercial DVDs is excellent and the internal de-interlacing looks very clean. Moving around in menus and skipping chapter is painfully slow though. The remote is not very responsive and needs to be directly pointed at the recorder. As I already said disc management is retarded, but the editing options seem pretty good to me - I am not one to ever edit recordings though - there are options for splitting and merging titles, creating chapters, renaming, selecting thumbnails, hiding and deleting.

I still don't understand why can't the clock be shown at least in the tuner mode. I tried the region hacks from previous generations Philips recorders and players, but none of them worked

The menu structure is very much like Funai and all of its clones, I bet this 3505 is Funai with a purchased Philips name.

In letterbox ratio, 4:3 programs show in a small box in the middle of a standard TV screen, with my unit, on my TV the little box is not square, it is narrower in the top part.

There is a disc resume, but only for one disc and only if the disc is not ejected, it will resume from the last point if powered off though.

There are some weird options for HDMI that I had not seen before, and since I don't have an HDMI capable monitor, I have no idea what they do. One is HDMI select - RGB or YPbPr, and another is.... can't remember, something about normal or enhanced.
post #12 of 205 Old 04-01-2007, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

In letterbox ratio, 4:3 programs show in a small box in the middle of a standard TV screen,

For SD material upconverted for broadcast on a HD channel, that's what I'd expect, if it records/displays HD in letterbox format and there's no way to "zoom" the image so the actual content fills the screen. Does it also do this with actual SD channels? For example PBS on 35.1 or 35.2 or NBC Weather Plus on 10.2 or the weather radar on 25.3 if you're using OTA signals.
post #13 of 205 Old 04-02-2007, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

No, SD channels fill out the 4:3 screens.
post #14 of 205 Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Just picked one up today at Mal-Wart, paid 169.87 also. (I went to 2 Mal-Warts, the first didn't have one, but they had the Panasonic with the dual deck, and a Magnavox DVD-R with ATSC tuner) This was in Staunton and Waynesboro, Virginia.

Some initial comments:

I also own the LG, but after plugging this in the LG went back in the box and is going back.

First the tuner is great, almost as good as the Samsung 260, I'm receiving all but one channel I was getting with the Samsung (WTVR-CBS from Richmond though, so I'm bummed about the Masters coming up).

Since I can receive Richmond HD channels with this I can report 5.1 audio DOES NOT pass through with OTA broadcasts.

As stated before the clock sets itself like some VCRs (the LG didn't).

It starts up a lot faster than the LG, around 6 seconds. As also stated before the disc will play if one is in.

One thing I've noticed the LG has, and this doesn't is the ability to un-finalize a disc. I had a finalized disc from the LG and the only option I was given is to erase the disc in the disc menu.
post #15 of 205 Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBri99 View Post

One thing I've noticed the LG has, and this doesn't is the ability to un-finalize a disc. I had a finalized disc from the LG and the only option I was given is to erase the disc in the disc menu.

That doesn't surprise me. Finalizing an RW just makes it play nice with other brands. The actual RW disc usage will be brand-specific. Have you tried both finalizing and then unfinalizing an RW on just the Philips?

Mike
post #16 of 205 Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjnovak View Post

That doesn't surprise me. Finalizing an RW just makes it play nice with other brands. The actual RW disc usage will be brand-specific. Have you tried both finalizing and then unfinalizing an RW on just the Philips?

Mike

I did sit down with the manual last night, and it says it will unfinalize a disk that was finalized on the phillips.

I tried my first recording last night, and when I tried to replay it, it froze and I was never able to watch. I will try again to see if it was a fluke.

DVD loading is extrememly slow compared to the LG. It might be a deal breaker.

If I could have the Phillips tuner and the LG DVD hardware/software, that would be just fine.
post #17 of 205 Old 04-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to add a few more things about the Philips that make no sense to me either.

The digital channel management is just terrible. There is no info on the actual digital frequency, and no way to delete a sub-channel without deleting all the channels on a specific frequency.

There is also no way to just switch the antenna type without rescanning all frequencies. This drives me nuts, because I can't easily switch from basic cable to OTA.
post #18 of 205 Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Is anyone else having problems recording? I tried again today, using the Highest Quality setting, and the recording froze every 10-20 seconds for about 2 seconds.

Could it just be the disc? I'm using the DVD-RW that came with the LG, it worked fine there.

Did I mention it takes a long time for the disc to initialize, or for the disc menu to come up after watching TV.
post #19 of 205 Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBri99 View Post

Is anyone else having problems recording? I tried again today, using the Highest Quality setting, and the recording froze every 10-20 seconds for about 2 seconds.

Could it just be the disc? I'm using the DVD-RW that came with the LG, it worked fine there.

Did I mention it takes a long time for the disc to initialize, or for the disc menu to come up after watching TV.

Yes, it could be the disc. I would try a different brand or
at least a new, unused disc.
post #20 of 205 Old 04-06-2007, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Yes, it could be the disc. I would try a different brand or
at least a new, unused disc.

I erased the disk, and then used it again in the phillips, it recorded fine this time.

I am returning this today though, I also picked up the Magnavox DVD Recorder which is virtually the same thing as the Phillips minus HDMI (no use for me), and DV input (also no use for me). Menus, tuner, recording is exactly the same on the Magnavox (made by Funai).
post #21 of 205 Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 AM
kog

Can one of the owners of this unit tell me if it supports QAM? The wiki pages says it does, but the sales sheet on their website makes no mention of QAM. Thanks.
post #22 of 205 Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kog View Post

Can one of the owners of this unit tell me if it supports QAM? The wiki pages says it does, but the sales sheet on their website makes no mention of QAM. Thanks.

Yes it does.
post #23 of 205 Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Like others here, I bought the 3505 at Walmart. I'm having two problems:

1. When the unit is turned on, it comes up fairly quickly and starts showing TV, but then if you have a DVD in it (which I always do because I regularly record shows) it loads the disk and throws you into a menu screen showing the different titles on the disk, whether you wanted to go there or not. Very annoying - if you just want to watch TV you have to hit the stop button to exit the menu and return to watching TV. Anyone know if there's a way to make it not do this?

2. When I first hooked up the unit it took me through some setup menus - select language, run through channel presets. Problem is, it has done this twice more in the week I've had the unit, i.e. it has forgotten all of the channels and I had to run through all the setup screens again. There have been no power outages here that I'm aware of, and no problems with channel memories on my VCR. Anyone else expereicence this sort of problem?

Also annoying is the fact that you can delete digital channels but not add any. If you have a situation where you're trying to receive OTA from more than one location, you can't move the antenna and then add a station - you'd have to move the antenna and rescan all stations (which takes several minutes) - not exactly a practical workaround.

I have a feeling this unit is going to get returned, especially if it keeps doing the I-forgot-all-the-channels stuff. Fortunately Walmart has a 90 day return policy.
post #24 of 205 Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 AM

Wow, bummer
I no longer have a Philips TV for pretty much the same reason.
First, their firmware couldn't receive certain channels. Then they fixed that, but screwed up all channel retention, favorites lists, etc. Any channel not currently coming in would be completely deleted - unbearable. Click on my name and find my old posts on the 42pf7320/37 if you want all the gory details.
Mike
post #25 of 205 Old 04-22-2007, 04:41 PM

All,

Does anyone know how to hack the Philips DVDR3505 to make it region free? Thanks for any assistance!
post #26 of 205 Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

Like others here, I bought the 3505 at Walmart. I'm having two problems:

1. When the unit is turned on, it comes up fairly quickly and starts showing TV, but then if you have a DVD in it (which I always do because I regularly record shows) it loads the disk and throws you into a menu screen showing the different titles on the disk, whether you wanted to go there or not. Very annoying - if you just want to watch TV you have to hit the stop button to exit the menu and return to watching TV. Anyone know if there's a way to make it not do this?

2. When I first hooked up the unit it took me through some setup menus - select language, run through channel presets. Problem is, it has done this twice more in the week I've had the unit, i.e. it has forgotten all of the channels and I had to run through all the setup screens again. There have been no power outages here that I'm aware of, and no problems with channel memories on my VCR. Anyone else expereicence this sort of problem?

Also annoying is the fact that you can delete digital channels but not add any. If you have a situation where you're trying to receive OTA from more than one location, you can't move the antenna and then add a station - you'd have to move the antenna and rescan all stations (which takes several minutes) - not exactly a practical workaround.

I have a feeling this unit is going to get returned, especially if it keeps doing the I-forgot-all-the-channels stuff. Fortunately Walmart has a 90 day return policy.

Yep, #2 just happened to me. I bought the unit last Tues (4-14) and have used it to record 3 times. I turned it on this morning after recording a show last night and the "initial setup" screen came up. Had to do the channel scanning and option settings all over again.

This issue aside, I'm fairly happy with the unit (although I'm planning to return it when the HDD-DVD version is released). I am using it strictly for OTA ATSC recording for later viewing. My TV has a ATSC tuner, so the slow channel changing is not much of an issue for me. I like the fact that it seems to record 16:9 broadcasts in that aspect, at least if you have the video playback setting at 16:9.

Two questions for you 3505 users:

-Has anybody else besides Otaguy and myself had this issue of forgetfulness? Otaguy, do you have Type 1 or Type 2 of the 3505? If your first item in the Setup menu is labeled "required settings", then you've got Type 1 like me. If it says "general setting", then it's Type 2. The connections on the back are in a different layout as well, with Type 1 having the HDMI off by itself near the middle of the unit at the top, while the Type 2 has the HDMI grouped near the coax audio out. I'm wondering if the version/type number is making the difference for this glitch.

-What RW discs do you use? I couldn't find locally any of the +RW or -RW media which were recommended (supported) in the manual. I ended up with some Imation (I think) since they were cheap and I could get them in a 5-pack. So far I haven't had any trouble, but then again I've only used 2 discs for a total of 3 times.

-chris
post #27 of 205 Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 AM

"Yep, #2 just happened to me..."

Did it again last night. It must have burped during the day and ended up not recording Lost. Guess I'll have to return it to WM. Still concerned if it is a Type 1 or Type 2 unit issue. Has anyone seen the T2's in stores?
post #28 of 205 Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 AM

Interesting -- My 3505 did the lost memory thing at the end of the first week. Right after that, I put a backup power supply on my video equipment and since then (2 weeks) it hasn't happened again.
post #29 of 205 Old 04-28-2007, 10:40 AM

Well, I'll have to give that a try. I say this after returning my 1st unit and the 2nd one did it within 24 hours. Just went out an got a small UPS and hooked it up this morning. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Thanks for the advice.
post #30 of 205 Old 04-28-2007, 01:20 PM

I knew I should have kept my mouth shut --- this morning I noticed the clock was a half an hour fast, which is what happened last time the DVDR lost it's memory. But this time I didn't lose channels ----- so now I have changed the clock to manual.

Dale
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)