post #481 of 694 Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

These two HDMI to Composite converters seem identical at around $58 from the same vendor:

e-Labs

LinkStyle

Quote:

I believe they are one in the same and both probably made by Lenkeng.

Quote:

Thanks, jjeff!

I ended up ordering the LinkStyle, mainly because the e-Labs was sold out.

Lenkeng no longer shows this item on its website, and HDTVsupply is saying "WE ONLY HAVE A FEW LEFT AND THEN NO MORE." It appears it is being discontinued.

They all appear to be the exact same unit, but why does HDTVSupply want three times as much? Is there a difference? From the pictures of the box, it sure doesn't look to be any different. Even the silk-screen on the case is the same. Wouild the internal electronics be different, even though the connectors and everything else about them are identical? It seems unlikely to me.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 694 Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

They all appear to be the exact same unit, but why does HDTVSupply want three times as much? Is there a difference? From the pictures of the box, it sure doesn't look to be any different. Even the silk-screen on the case is the same. Wouild the internal electronics be different, even though the connectors and everything else about them are identical? It seems unlikely to me.

They are the same unit(Lenkeng),it's just that HDTVSupply is an expensive place to buy anything from.Iv'e cross checked their prices for various components against the prices from other sellers of the same components and HDTVSupply is always higher than everybody else,sometimes much higher. G.
post #483 of 694 Old 04-21-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I agree with Greaser, I believe the only differences between the various Lenkeng products is how much you want to pay for basically the same thing. I've seen the one MP sells for $58 for more than $100 at other etailers IMO get the cheapest one you can find, at least that way you didn't spend too much. That Philips would probably do a better job than a Lenkeng but note you've got to be able to feed it 480i(something that not every device outputs) and it's much larger than a little standalone converter like the Lenkeng or others.
post #484 of 694 Old 04-21-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hudson View Post

Hey Dave,
No problem at all with bluray movies? It sounds like I am in the same position with a new AVR. I just want to use my projector with it's new bulb for another year or so. I have no need to pass audio. I just need to get a component signal to my projector that is hopefully not crippled. I would like to use all hdmi interconnects and send the last stage from my AVR to the projector.

No problem with BluRay. I have the BD player set for 1080i output and all works very well.

Dave
post #485 of 694 Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i86time View Post

conv-2 looked like it had more detail and was brighter, I'm guessing that was the HDMI.

Quote:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I downloaded both files yesterday and couldn't tell much of a difference on my 23" PC.

Interesting!

Actually video sample 1 was the HDMI unit, and sample 2 was the MonoPrice converter.

So that means out of three converters that I've had (including the Ambrey one), the MonoPrice one is the best of the three.....
post #486 of 694 Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobster View Post

Actually video sample 1 was the HDMI unit ...

That's really disappointing, considering I had just ordered that unit.

Thank you for giving us the results!

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #487 of 694 Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 PM

That is disappointing, and I also ordered one. That converter really crushes the luminance. I fully expect my Video Filter to outlast the analog hole. But once 2014 (or whenever) hits, what then?
But it is good news for those who want to go the HDFury route. You can get what looks to be a pretty good component->composite/s-video converter for under $50.
post #488 of 694 Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

My LinkStyle recently arrived, which now shows out of stock. It appears these are selling out fast from North American vendors.

Although the video quality is reasonably acceptable to me, the main thing is that it does eliminate copy protection and will be usable with my DVD recorders when the analog hole is plugged. For $60 I see it as an inexpensive investment into the unknown future.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #489 of 694 Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I had no idea MP sold so many of these but if the following notice on their website is any indication they sure sell, still only 3 reviews though
Only 3 left in stock - order soon!
We expect to receive:
80 pieces on 5/4/2011

They've been out of stock before but I had no idea how many they ordered at a time, until I saw the above note today.
post #490 of 694 Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

jjeff, could you post a link to the web page at the MP site? I seem to have a problem finding the correct search terms.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #491 of 694 Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jjeff, could you post a link to the web page at the MP site? I seem to have a problem finding the correct search terms.

See below:

Quote:

post #492 of 694 Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a heads up:

It appears the same HDMI to Composite converter that we had purchased at around $60 has now dropped to $29

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

post #493 of 694 Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like tomwil got you the link, only 2 left now

Quote:

Just a heads up:

It appears the same HDMI to Composite converter that we had purchased at around $60 has now dropped to $29

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

For under $30 and a more than fair $2.98 shipping I just couldn't resist. I mean where else could one get a video filter (even if it's not the highest PQ) for change over $30 I don't see how these can last long....
post #494 of 694 Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

For under $30 and a more than fair $2.98 shipping I just couldn't resist. I mean where else could one get a video filter (even if it's not the highest PQ) for change over $30 I don't see how these can last long....

I have to admit, I couldn't resist either... How can they even make this thing for $30?!?

Luke

post #495 of 694 Old 05-04-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I ordered two of 'em as soon as tomwil posted about the sale: I was about to reluctantly order one anyway at $58.99, getting a twofer made the decision easier. Quality may be so-so, but at this $29.95 price they make a decent emergency backup (heck, a used Sima CT-2 fetches $100).

UPDATE 8pm EST: Price just went up to $47.95
post #496 of 694 Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

UPDATE 8pm EST: Price just went up to $47.95

So it did, luckily my Amazon conformation said the original $28.99, I should have probably ordered 2 like you did very weird indeed
Thanks again for the tip tomwil!
post #497 of 694 Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 PM

I hope those who bought one (or two) will post a review after testing it.
post #498 of 694 Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas View Post

I hope those who bought one (or two) will post a review after testing it.

jjeff has kindly posted screen shots of the converter output:

Resolution
Contrast
Black Level

And Loobster has provided a video of the output:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobster View Post

http://www.mediafire.com/?byexvuks68cgbop

post #499 of 694 Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Question:

Why would Amazon seller be selling what appears to be the same HDMI-to-Composite converter at different price points?

$47.99

$56.99

$91.99

post #500 of 694 Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

all I know is it seems to be a somewhat common practice with the converters made by Lenkeng, guess you can spend as much money as you want I liked the $30 PP and thanks to you I got it
post #501 of 694 Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Do they have the same stock number? Is it possible that they have the same shell, but different electronics? There is no guarantee that they are identical INside.

Two say three available, and the other one says two available. I wonder if they are relly the same. If they are, it IS strange the threee listings at different prices.

Luke

post #502 of 694 Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Same unit, same multiple price points on eBay as well. This is an eBay "But It Now" gimmick that has unfortunately migrated to Amazon as sellers market on both sites. I don't understand it, one would think any idiot could see the same seller was hawking the same item at widely varying prices and just pick the cheapest one. But apparently enough naive folk bite at the higher prices to make the spread worthwhile: the sellers get the price shoppers while still leaving the option open to fleece the unknowing.
post #503 of 694 Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM

That sucks, wish I could have picked it up for $30. The PQ of this unit is serviceable, but it's odd. It reminds me of a medicore PAL->NTSC transfer. I have a Samsung SV-7000W and that's what it looks like, a soft pseudo-film look. I did notice it has a PAL/NTSC switch. I'm wondering if, since it's made in China (which uses PAL), if it's natively PAL and requires a conversion to NTSC when converting from digital to analog. If so, it would look far better if it natively output NTSC.
post #504 of 694 Old 05-06-2011, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The Sima video filters also had a PAL/NTSC switch. They don't do any converting but when set to NTSC they are NTSC-in-NTSC-out and when set to PAL they are PAL-in-PAL-out.
I did test my Sima once with a PAL VCR and multi system TV and it worked just fine when set to PAL. I think they have the switch just so they can sell the same unit worldwide.
post #505 of 694 Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM

You have to remember that with digital HD (ATSC), there's no longer NTSC or PAL. The only leftover is the frame rate (50/60Hz). Since this unit takes ATSC (although it also accepts progressive ED, which is basically NTSC/PAL), it has to convert it to either NTSC or PAL for the analog output. I'm just guessing that it's natively PAL and then has to convert it again for NTSC out. For example, my Sony BD player has analog outs. As far as I know, it will only display NTSC out of those, i.e. native. However, a unit in Europe would probably only output analog as PAL (but yes, I know that many PAL components drop frames to output a faux NTSC). They both take a digital ATSC signal and convert to analog, but both only have 1 native resolution. If I'm correct, someone with a native PAL systen would see a much better picture.
post #506 of 694 Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am in the market for a new Component>SVideo converter, with component pass-through. I have a couple of Lenkengs, and an Audio Authority, I'm thinking of buying an Ambery this time. Has anyone used one? Does anyone have any other brands to recommend?
post #507 of 694 Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

I am in the market for a new Component>SVideo converter, with component pass-through. I have a couple of Lenkengs, and an Audio Authority, I'm thinking of buying an Ambery this time. Has anyone used one? Does anyone have any other brands to recommend?

kjbawk, i have an Atlona AT-Comp 500 and it works quite well.The Atlona has a HD pass-through. Hope this helps.
post #508 of 694 Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks - I knew there was at least one I was forgetting. I'll check it out.
post #509 of 694 Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 AM

I briefly had an Ambery but didn't find it to be in any way superior in picture quality to my Lenkeng unit.

Some suggested that 'it must be faulty' since they figured that this was not possible for it to output a lower quality than any Lenkeng device. I maintain that if the unit was faulty I would have had an unstable picture, not a very stable, low quality picture.

I believe my comments on my Ambery experience are detailed earlier in this very thread.
post #510 of 694 Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for reminding me of that. I went back and read the posts. I guess I'll go with the Atlona. I see them through Amazon for $241. They are $299, direct from Atlona. If anyone knows a better price on one with a warranty, please let me know!

Audio Authority no longer makes them. When I get the new one, I plan to send in my Audio Authority one for repair. They said that would be $45, IIRC. Best to have a spare.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page