Cheaper Component to S-Video Converter - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 694 Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well I have read through this whole thread which took me all day pretty much. I am one of the people looking for a quality component to s-video converter plus a HDMI to component converter. So far it seems no one makes this sort of device all in one unless you want to buy a cheap unit from amazon or something that costs up near $1000 or so.
From what I can gather the top recommended component converters are
Altona
Ambery
Audio Autority
And perhaps Apple TV or some device from svideo.com which I did not read much about
Now heres another one to add to the mix

Cypresss
http://www.cypress.com.tw/english/display.asp?id=400

From doing a lot of reading I have come to learn that a lot of the Altona, Ambery, Sima, AVT etc etc products all originate from Cypress Technology Taiwan. That's what a lot of other people have said too. They are all made in the same factory but rebranded for different markets, often fitted in different colour cases and often with different remote controls but are all essentially the same. Prices can vary too when you get some re-branders saying their product is better than another which they claim to be a knock off so they think they can charge more. I have seen this to be the case with the AVT-8710 vs CTP-100 time base correctors. One vendor saying the light blue ones were knock offs and the black AVT-8710's were the real deal. Well that's not true. They all originate from the same place. I do wonder why the $100 difference between the Ambery and Altona converters. Is that how Altona can offer a 3 year warrenty? They jack the price up and offer you a warrenty and then if something does go wrong they can afford to just send you a new one and this has been factored into the price? I really wonder. Like I said before, these devices all seem the same to me, and I know from working in the motorcycle industry that many aftermarket parts are made in the same factories in Taiwan and prices vary for the exact same part. The fancy American branded versions cost more than the exact same part branded for another market and I know for a fact they are the same and there may only be cosmetic differences or no differences at all.

Ok back to converters. So far I have narrowed my decision down to the Ambery/Altona/Cypress. Its will just come down to price and warrenty and if I can make a saving getting one from a certain place than another, keeping in mind that if I need to buy a AUS power adaptor that would be extra unless I find an Australian vendor.

Now I cant not quite remember, but what was the only drawback/negative of the Altona/Ambery/Cypress converter?
Was it only that it could not accept 480i/576i? Or was it something else?

Here is another I am considering.

Altona AT-HD-AVSC

http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-PC-HD-DOWN-CONVERTER.html

Discontinued here, but i am sure i can track one down as an Altona or another re-brand. eg http://www.hdtvsupply.com/codoco.html
or here

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/aa-1361.html

and here

http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt3190.shtml

wish they had front photos so i could see them. That site seems to have 3 or 4 of those units at varing prices and all seem to be the same to me. So just because Alton discontinued them does not mean you cant get them elsewhere. They show up on the Cypress site too.

Apart from price, what do you guys think?

It accepts these inputs

480i & 480p @ 60Hz
576i & 576p @ 50Hz
720p @ 50 & 60Hz
1080i @48, 50 & 60Hz

So I guess that's where it beats the other units as it accepts 480/576i

Only thing i am woried about is if you have a 16:9 anamorphic source, whats it going to make the s-video output as? From a quick read of the manual it says you can chose aspect ratios of full, pan & scan, and letter boxed. I dont think any of those ar 16:9 then. What about the Altona AT-HD-AVSC or Ambery equivalent. What does that do with aspect ratios? Greaser?
Also i note it does not support 1080p in. Only 1080i. I assume the HDfury can outout 1080 i though?

Not to sure about the PC functions and if I would use them though but it does offer these functions

Switch on the back to select PC or HDTV input
Down converts to NTSC or PAL, component output.
Supports high resolution PC input up to UXGA (1600x1200@60Hz) and HDTV input up to 1080i@60Hz.
Output video format is selectable between Composite/S-Video and Component (YCbCr).
Supports high input refresh rate up to 140Hz (VGA)
Additional HD-15 and 3RCA connectors for looping through PC and HDTV input signal.
Adjustable image scaling; Pan, Position and Zoom.
Advanced 2-D flicker filter ensures flicker-free picture.
Aspect adjustment for wide-screen HDTV Source.
Adjustable contrast, brightness, color, sharpness.
Last state memory recall ( all settings will be saved if the converter is turned off or unplugged from the electricity )
Useful function-over scan, freeze, test pattern, magnifier.
Adjustment and control through RS-232 interface.
Remote control, OSD operation display.

It is pricey but I am sure I can find it cheaper and I don't want to buy little plasticky boxes. I guess I will need to read the manual a bit more but at this stage I am pretty keen on it, as long as i can find out what happens when its fed a 16:9 picture. Are there any component converters that will pass through 16:9 to s-video out???

Now the second part of my post. The HD fury has been mentioned a lot here. I have had this on my mind for a while but did not understand all the different versions and the whole HDCP thing.
If I am right the HDfury 2 and 3 are not restricted by HDCP and will remove it' but the HDfury 4 will not remove the HDCP if there is any? If that's the case I should get the 2 or 3?

The HD fury3 manual says

Industry-Standard Compliance
- HDMI 1.3
- EIA/CEA-861D
- DVI 1.0
- HDCP 1.1

Does this mean it wont strip HDCP then? I just need to know it will be right for me before buying as I don't want to discover it no longer works for HDCP. Have the updated the 3 and made it so it now wont pass HDCP? Anyone recently bought one from HDfury direct?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 694 Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Liked: 11
All HDfury, from 1 to 4 will get rid of the 4letters things.

HDfury1 is HDMI/DVI-D/DVI-D_4letters input and RGBHV output.

HDfury2 is HDMI/DVI-D/DVI-D_4letters input and RGBHV or component output.

HDfury3 is 2x HDMI/DVI-D/DVI-D_4letters input and RGBHV or component output.

HDfury4 is HDMI/DVI-D/DVI-D_4letters input and HDMI/DVI-D/RGBHV/component output.

The last one also can output both ANALOG AND DIGITAL simultaneously, means you can input HDMI and get DVI-D and component out at the same time, or HDMI and RGBHV, or any others combinaison.
post #513 of 694 Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Cyclone 82, I own an Atlona HD COMP-500,have had it for ~1 1/2 yrs.It works flawlessly.Excellent color and brightness,unlike those .25 cent converters that have been,and continue to be, recommended by some.It has an HD passthru,and a heavy gauge aluminum casing.I paid ~$212.00 incl.shipping(new in box).I was told by a Atlona CSR that these units were made for commercial use and that the unit will stretch a 4x3 pic.to fill the screen(stretch-o-vision)on a 16x9 tv set.There is a Real Easy fix for that though.For example,if i want to record a 4x3 movie from TCM, i first tune to Fox News HD for a 16x9 widescreen pic.,just for a second or two,then i tune to TCM,and the 4x3 AR will come thru correctly.No problem.16X9 aspect ratios show normally,as do other AR's such as 2:35.1,and 1.85.1.Sometimes(but not always) an AR of 1.66.1 will show very slightly stretched,but not annoyingly so.A by-product of the conversion process is the elimination of CP.
I also own a HDFury2,it too works flawlessly.The Fury provides the "handshake"necessary to be able to watch tv on a non-HDMI,non-HDCP compliant HD tv.
post #514 of 694 Old 04-09-2012, 03:31 PM

Liked: 13
the Atlona HD COMP-500 is the same as the
Audio Authority 1360 Component to S-Video Converter which is the one I have,bought for $80.00 2 yrs ago. works perfect.

MickinCT
post #515 of 694 Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 84
^^^ you got yours for a steal, they're $314 and up now
post #516 of 694 Old 04-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

^^^ you got yours for a steal, they're $314 and up now

You bet jjeff!!,for some reason these converters have been slowly but steadily rising in price.Don't know whyI'm glad i bought mine when i did.
post #517 of 694 Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

the Atlona HD COMP-500 is the same as the
Audio Authority 1360 Component to S-Video Converter which is the one I have,bought for $80.00 2 yrs ago. works perfect.

I own both of these, and have had the same problem with both. Sometimes I get a sort of horizontal shear line, with the picture below the line being a frame or two later than the picture above the line. When there is movement in the picture, vertical lines, like door edges, will be offset. This only happens for a few seconds, to a minute, once, maybe twice, or not at all, during a feature length film. I have seen it many times. It is not in the original signal. If I replay the original signal from the DVR again, to the DVDR, through the converter, the effect does not recur in the same place.

Also, both converters make very dark scenes a bit too dark. Otherwise, color is good, picture sharp.

Addendum: the dark scenes too dark only occurs with a SD channel, not with the HD channels.
post #518 of 694 Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 AM

I dont quite understand the HDfury 'letters thing' I was under the impression the new HDfury 4 which is 3d capable was the one that would not pass encrypted stuff anymore so i was going to get the number 3. Dont think i need the 3D capability. I double checked with HD fury and the nice guy there said 3 will strip copy protection so i think i will get that one. Just wish they were in a stand along box instead we have to have this dangling spider like thing with cords hanging out of it. Oh well its the function that matters i guess.

Yes Greaser i read all your praise for the Atlona device through out the thread. Kjbawc, i wonder if your problem can be fixed using a TBC after the converter?

Very keen on getting this http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt3190.shtml or its equivalent in another brand and the Ambery/Atlona HD COMP-500 is hight on my list.

No one else has found any other decent ones yet? Would be good to find some good ones that do not originate from the same factory in Taiwan, bit of variation to choose from. I guess there is not a high demand for down converters. I am not urgently needing one but feel its something i should get. Who knows what will happen a few years down the track. Things may not be so bad for me in Australia like you USA guys as we have digital tuners in our recorders. But something ma change. Blank DVD's should be available for many years to come i hope so as long as i have a way to feed in signals via composite/s-vid i will be able to record something.

So at this point i sit and wait till i have enough $ saved for the HDfury and will keep looking for good component to s-vid converters.
post #519 of 694 Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I dont quite understand the HDfury 'letters thing' I was under the impression the new HDfury 4 which is 3d capable was the one that would not pass encrypted stuff anymore so i was going to get the number 3. Dont think i need the 3D capability. I double checked with HD fury and the nice guy there said 3 will strip copy protection so i think i will get that one. Just wish they were in a stand along box instead we have to have this dangling spider like thing with cords hanging out of it. Oh well its the function that matters i guess.

Yes Greaser i read all your praise for the Atlona device through out the thread. Kjbawc, i wonder if your problem can be fixed using a TBC after the converter?

Very keen on getting this http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt3190.shtml or its equivalent in another brand and the Ambery/Atlona HD COMP-500 is hight on my list.

No one else has found any other decent ones yet? Would be good to find some good ones that do not originate from the same factory in Taiwan, bit of variation to choose from. I guess there is not a high demand for down converters. I am not urgently needing one but feel its something i should get. Who knows what will happen a few years down the track. Things may not be so bad for me in Australia like you USA guys as we have digital tuners in our recorders. But something ma change. Blank DVD's should be available for many years to come i hope so as long as i have a way to feed in signals via composite/s-vid i will be able to record something.

So at this point i sit and wait till i have enough $ saved for the HDfury and will keep looking for good component to s-vid converters.

It's easy to understand.

Depending on your country, a reseller can get his HDfury device shipped with 4letters compliant firmware, however you can update this firmware. Both HDfury3 and HDfury4 have USB upgradable firmware. so if you are buying from US/UK/CA reseler, then this particular reseller in those countries might ship the device with compliant firmware and you will need to flash another firmware in order to ensure interoperability with your preHDMI display.

It's nothing else than a 5 sec operation.
post #520 of 694 Old 04-11-2012, 05:33 AM

Liked: 10

Cheap Way to convert S-video to component?

Greetings,

I'm running my DVD and HD signal through my reciever to my component input on my TOSH HDTV.

I'd like to run my DTivo through the receiver as well, but my receiver doesn't upconvert the signal, so it would come through a different cable. I'd really like to figure out an affordable way to upconvert it before it hits the receiver, so I only have to use one input on the TV.

Unfortunately, I didn't plan well enough to BUY a reciever that does the upconversion for my. I've got the Onkyo HT-R530.

Thanks for any help,

David
post #521 of 694 Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by killomarker View Post

I'm running my DVD and HD signal through my reciever to my component input on my TOSH HDTV.

I'd like to run my DTivo through the receiver as well, but my receiver doesn't upconvert the signal, so it would come through a different cable. I'd really like to figure out an affordable way to upconvert it before it hits the receiver, so I only have to use one input on the TV.

There is really no need to upconvert before the receiver. The HDTV will upconvert any signal it receives to match the native resolution of its screen. The upconverters (scalers) on quality HDTVs are generally much better than what you find in run-of-the-mill consumer components -- upconversion in these components is more a marketing tool than a feature of real utility -- and that includes mid-range AV receivers. Unless you have a high-end component (i.e. Oppo player) or a real video processor, let the HDTV do the upconversion.

One other point. Most components only upconvert out their HDMI outputs and not their component outputs. The ones I've seen that do upconvert out of component will not do so for protected source.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #522 of 694 Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I agree. Your HDTV probably has an internal upconverter that is far superior to any budget stand-alone device you could buy. I say budget because in big bold letters you asked: "Cheap Way to convert S-video to component?" Those inexpensive little boxes usually have pretty poor interpolation circuitry, so lines look jaggy and circles have square bits on them. I would definitely just let the television handle it.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #523 of 694 Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by killomarker View Post

Cheap Way to convert S-video to component?

Greetings,

Unfortunately, I didn't plan well enough to BUY a reciever that does the upconversion for my. I've got the Onkyo HT-R530.

Thanks for any help,

David

If I were you, I would replace the current SD DirecTiVo with a new THR-22 HD DirecTiVo. Then you have HD recordings and your choice of HDMI or Component connections to your Onkyo AV receiver, enabling you to use a single cable from your Onkyo receiver to a single input on your HDTV.

Dave
post #524 of 694 Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Depending on your country, a reseller can get his HDfury device shipped with 4letters compliant firmware, however you can update this firmware. Both HDfury3 and HDfury4 have USB upgradable firmware. so if you are buying from US/UK/CA reseler, then this particular reseller in those countries might ship the device with compliant firmware and you will need to flash another firmware in order to ensure interoperability with your preHDMI display.

It's nothing else than a 5 sec operation.

I will be buying it direct from HDfury and not a re-seller

Well the guy at HDa fury is telling me the number 4 version does strip HDCP. Thats confusing. Not sure i need the 4 though but now i need to decide between the 3 or 4?????

There is tonnes of these things (component cconverters) out there
http://www.hallresearch.com/page/Products/VHD-180

post #525 of 694 Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Update on HDFury 4. I contacted them direct and asked if the 4 will shut down the component output if HDCP is detected as i said that this is what i had been reading a lot on forums.

This was their reply

Quote:

the hdfury 4 will do what you want in all modes dvi-d output vga and component video. It will not output a hdmi signal without encryption just dvi-d. Dvi-d is the same as hdmi except it doesnt carry audio.

After that i made sure it was clear that i wanted to convert HDMI to component and pass/remove HDCP and he said it will do what i want it to do. So it seems all this stuff about the 4 not being able to output to component if HDCP is detecected is not true. Thats what was telling me.
post #526 of 694 Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After that i made sure it was clear that i wanted to convert HDMI to component and pass/remove HDCP and he said it will do what i want it to do. So it seems all this stuff about the 4 not being able to output to component if HDCP is detecected is not true. Thats what was telling me.

The rules may be different in Australia. The web info on the Fury 4 is that it is HDCP compliant for the US market otherwise it would have been banned. In order for an HDMI device to be sold in the US it has to be licensed and the HDMI license requires HDCP compliance. If the input is HDCP protected HD, the Fury 4 is not supposed to output HD over component. The previous Fury 3 did and was finally pulled from the market.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #527 of 694 Old 04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

From the 3D HDFury manual.Disclaimer:"This product does not process HDCP input.When receiving content that has HDCP encryption there will be no video output.In some countries a 3rd.party and/or a custom firmware can be used".In the "Main Features"section it says that the unit is software/firmware upgradeable thru usb.
Afew mos.ago there were questions concerning this very point on the Fury website(does it strip/nullify/process/decipher HDCP?).The answer was basically that it 'will/won't'. There is a downloadable program(costs $30.00)called "Powerstrip" that can be used to 'upgrade' the firmware so that the HDCP will be processed,and if you go to their website you can find multiple U.S. users who own this great little device.They also said that to be in compliance with the laws of the various countries they ship to,they must ship the device in a state that will not process HDCP.It's the end users responsibility to "upgrade"the unit.
So,it WILL work,you just have to tweak it a bit.
post #528 of 694 Old 04-18-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

So,it WILL work,you just have to tweak it a bit.

Good to know.

- kelson h

post #529 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:

The rules may be different in Australia.

I contacted HD Fury direct on their website. I think they are in China or Taiwan?

Quote:

So,it WILL work,you just have to tweak it a bit

Yeah i like that. But even if it will only work after some 'mods' I am not sure why he did not say that to me. I can only assume that if i did get one he would ship it with the restrictions removed already and thats why he said it would work right away as he knew i was enquiring from AUS. So really i think if the 4 is made HDCP compliant they are really just doing it to satisfy the 'hollywood police' thats all. I think they want them off their back but really they want to allow the buyer freedom to use it as they wish so thats why they will hand out the different firmware.

I think its a bit ridiculous though. Are your border patrol/customs really going to spend time inspecting and 'testing out' every HD fury that comes into the country?

Anyway, i just bought a TBC1000 today (surprisingly a lot cheaper than if i got it from US too) so need to wait a few weeks till i can get the fury and one of these component converters
post #530 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 03:37 AM

Heres another one

http://www.hdwise.com/product.php?productid=906

First found it on an Australian site so then went to find a place in USA for you guys

Google 'shinybow SB-3681' for more

actually this one is a little different to this one with SCART

post #531 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Heres another one

http://www.hdwise.com/product.php?productid=906

First found it on an Australian site so then went to find a place in USA for you guys

Google 'shinybow SB-3681' for more

actually this one is a little different to this one with SCART

So,Shinybow FINALLY came out with their Component>s-video converter??
I waited i think nearly a full year for them to come out with it,then just about the time they said it would be available,they cancelled it and i never saw it listed on their website again.I even registered with them so i would be emailed a notice telling me when they were about to start selling them,never heard a word back.Dang!!!!It was originally supposed to be available 6/30/10,then that date was set back to 11/30/10 then....nothing.
post #532 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

$135 plus free shipping in the US, seems to be a good deal if the black level is correct. Note the US version lacks the SCART connector but adds RCA L&R audio outputs. Personally I'd just run the audio direct from my source to DVDR(and avoid the extra connections) but to each his own.
3 year warranty is nice, I wonder how easy(and if their would be a change for shipping) if the item was returned(for example if the black level is raised). Might be worth a shot, especially if the picture quality is better than my Sima CT-2.
post #533 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Go ahead,buy one jjeff and tell us all about it ,maybe it's a new Viable option for people looking to buy a converter.IF it's a good one.

Hmm,says it has "automatic control down scaling and UP scaling"??? So it has a scaler built in?? I know they all down scale,but i never heard of one that UP scales. wonder how well that'll work.Hmmm.Wonder if the scaler can be turned off if it makes the pic.worse??Too bad there's no HD passthru. The warranty is "right on".
post #534 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Note the US version lacks the SCART connector but adds RCA L&R audio outputs. Personally I'd just run the audio direct from my source to DVDR(and avoid the extra connections) but to each his own.

That may not be a good idea. It all depends on how big the video processing lag is. Audio inputs/outputs are there to delay the audio to match the video lag and keep everything in synch.

- kelson h

post #535 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

Hmm,says it has "automatic control down scaling and UP scaling"??? So it has a scaler built in?? I know they all down scale,but i never heard of one that UP scales.

There won't be any upscaling if all it has is composite and S-Video outputs, Those are limited to 480i.

- kelson h

post #536 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Audio inputs/outputs are there to delay the audio to match the video lag and keep everything in synch.

Ever since i started using a converter,the audio cables run directly from the sat.receiver to the DVDR,while the video is routed from the receiver thru the converter to the DVDR,and i've never had an A/V synch problem.But maybe that's due to the length of my A/V cables.The audio cable(R+W)is 6ft. long,and i use two 3ft. Component video cables,which of course equals 6ft.Since the cables are all the same length,there shouldn't be any A/V synch problem.
post #537 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There won't be any upscaling if all it has is composite and S-Video outputs, Those are limited to 480i.

Yes,i'm more than a bit confused about the "upscaling"part of the statement.Could the "upscaling" be refering to the 'scart' connector?? I never heard of 'scart' until recently.
post #538 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM

I looked at a lot of the Shinybow stuff last night. I get the impression they are along the same lines as Cypress and the stuff is made in Taiwan and is not just re-brands or bottom dollar cheap chinese stuff flooding ebay or amazon. Some of their stuff is quite expensive like the Cypress stuff. These days i think thats the best we can get, unless you want to pay $2000 for something like this from perhaps a american maker or Japanese? Even then i reckon it would be made offshore. Theres not much choice for electicalgadgets and convertors these days. There is a Shinybow USA site and also a big Euro division too. I dont know how good their stuff is, but like usual you will probably read some negatives and positves (like all brands) but there gets a point where if the feedback is not 90% or overwhelmingly negative, you just gotta give it a try.

I would try looking on the USA or EU site for a fact sheet on that converter. I got a small sheet from an Australian seller but there was little to know info on it really.

I too was worried about audio delay with these sorts of device but most people say either leave the audio cables off (usually they are pass through for easy connection only anyway) but if you do leave them connected there may only be a very small millisecond time delay not noticeable to humans.
post #539 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I looked at a lot of the Shinybow stuff last night. I get the impression they are along the same lines as Cypress and the stuff is made in Taiwan and is not just re-brands or bottom dollar cheap chinese stuff. Some of their stuff is quite expensive like the Cypress stuff. There is a Shinybow USA site and also a big Euro division too.

I would try looking on the USA or EU site for a fact sheet on that converter. I got a small sheet from an Australian seller but there was little to know info on it really.

I was on the Shinybow usa website today,entered the model# and got a 'no information found' or something to that effect,message. And yes,most of their equipment is quite expensive.
post #540 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That may not be a good idea. It all depends on how big the video processing lag is. Audio inputs/outputs are there to delay the audio to match the video lag and keep everything in synch.

I hadn't thought of that, in that case I agree it would be best to try first with a discerning ear, if you here no delay your probably good to go.
I also agree from looking at the Shinybow website that they don't look like a Lenkeng type of company. Not that their is anything with a company like Lenkeng trying to save people money but you just need to know what your in for and if you want top quality then you should probably look elsewhere(and probably spend a considerable amount more). What I really don't like is when unscrupulous companies take a cheap product like a Lenkeng, slap their name on it and charge 2 or even 3 times what a reputable company like Monoprice changes.
Greaser, I just may give the Shinybow converter a test but I'd have to be assured the company had a good return policy because I am fussy and if it didn't have noticeably better picture quality than my Sima then it would be going back. I wouldn't be using the device for WS preservation since my DVD player already outputs WS over S-video, I'd only be using it for CP removal and even then the majority of my rips are now done on my PC but when I'd need to compress the DVD to less than ~90% of the original, I really prefer a realtime copy with one of my Panasonics. This is assuming it's not a concert/music or special effects(5.1) laden movie in which case I'd probably bite the bullet and use a $1 Verbatim DL DVD on my PC.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page