Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Try look for info here

http://www.shinybow.eu/eshop/index.php?strana=search

The scart version is around $160 in Aus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 694 Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I hadn't thought of that, in that case I agree it would be best to try first with a discerning ear, if you here no delay your probably good to go.

Have someone who can read lips watch the video & see if the audio is in sync with the video. My wife can read lips quite a bit and when the audio is off she really notices it. When we got a big screen HDTV she said the audio was off a lot more. This was with NTSC, HD, DVD, etc. It just depended on each individual program. After experimenting it was concluded that the bigger screen displays bigger lips, which then makes any lip movement easier to see.

So I was forced to buy a new A/V receiver with an adjustable audio delay. Usually it's set at 0 or 40ms delay, but occasionally it has to be at the max 100ms which sometimes is not enough. I guess it's time for a new receiver!
post #543 of 694 Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 AM

I just heard on the radio today about how the government is looking at toughening up laws regarding copyright laws here to do with downloading and uploading movies and TV shows ripping discs etc and that they are considering following other countries like USA and clamping down on this. I pricked up my ears when i heard that as it was a bit to do with what has been discussed here. I supose they will want to try and stop things like the HD fury here too then.
post #544 of 694 Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm really thinking of getting one of these unless someone knows they are basically a Lenkeng clone. As some of you may know I have a similar Lenkeng that while very reasonable(under $50 I believe) I'm not really impressed with it's PQ
I'd like it if this converter had S-video but even composite can look better than my Lenkeng's S-video which IMO is the same PQ as it's S-video output. Other than this one I'd have to spend >$300 to get a HDMI to S-video converter and thats kind of out of my budget. The whole reason I now need such a device is because I've started shooting home movies with my new Nikon 9100 point and shoot camera which records nicely in 1080p but when using it's composite video output to my DVDR it letterboxes everything Damn Nikon! When using it's HDMI output the picture is full screen, hence the need for such a converter. I tried playing the SD card in my computer but had no luck Using Widows Media Player or VLC I got sound but only paused video. Even if I was able to play the HD I'd have to get a BD burner and only play the DVDs in my BD player to retain HD, I think I'd be OK with SD if only better picture quality than I get from my Lenkeng.
Does anyone think it's worth a try to get this converter? Sounds like it would cost at least $12.50 + return shipping if I didn't care for it. I called the US distributor and asked about black level and if this device was US or European standard, they didn't really know but the guy said when he's played with it at trade shows he didn't notice the black level being raised....
post #545 of 694 Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

I'm really thinking of getting one of these unless someone knows they are basically a Lenkeng clone. . . .

I wonder what they really mean by:
Quote:

This device is non-compliant to HDCP

I also wonder since the connection picture they show has the box being fed by a game console (looks like an X-box) which would not have HDCP switched on.

jjeff, you really need to be using a PC for your camera. I'm sure it came with a USB cable to transfer pictures and video files. The file format will probably be H.264 and the SD card will be formatted as AVCHD -- which is why you can't play it in VLC or WMP. You know how much I like Video ReDo, but in this case I would urge you to take a look at Corel Video Studio Pro X4 or X5 to edit and author camcorder footage to a disk. You can download a 30 day trial -- if X4 works for you, you can buy it for $30 from Amazon. It will down convert HD to 480i for DVD-Video but I would be surprised if the camera didn't allow you to specify 480 resolution in it's settings menu. If it were strictly a camcorder it would have a firewire port for DV transfer and you could use one of your Panasonic recorders with DV input.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #546 of 694 Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I wonder what they really mean by: I also wonder since the connection picture they show has the box being fed by a game console (looks like an X-box) which would not have HDCP switched on.

I think they mean it will not remove CP if HDCP(which I'd take as BD only) and if I wanted it would work for CP'd DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

jjeff, you really need to be using a PC for your camera. I'm sure it came with a USB cable to transfer pictures and video files. The file format will probably be H.264 and the SD card will be formatted as AVCHD -- which is why you can't play it in VLC or WMP. You know how much I like Video ReDo, but in this case I would urge you to take a look at Corel Video Studio Pro X4 or X5 to edit and author camcorder footage to a disk. You can download a 30 day trial -- if X4 works for you, you can buy it for $30 from Amazon. It will down convert HD to 480i for DVD-Video but I would be surprised if the camera didn't allow you to specify 480 resolution in it's settings menu. If it were strictly a camcorder it would have a firewire port for DV transfer and you could use one of your Panasonic recorders with DV input.

No DV output, it's just a camera that also records up to 29 minutes of HD video. I suppose I should really go the PC route, I really do like the 1080p HD going directly from the camera to my TVs HDMI input it's just then to burn HD I'd have to get a BD burner(I suppose a external USB would work) but then there is the compatibility issue with people that don't have a BD player(my mother and father for two) but truthfully I've never given them a burnt DVD of family movies, if they watch them it's on my TV.....I know, I know, it's getting to the point where I really need to start using my PC more and stop relying on my DVDRs, currently the only thing I burn with my PC is what will still rip with Shrink, which is surprisingly quite a few DVDs but of course no BDs which I've been purchasing in limited quantities. Just purchased Blazing Saddles on BD the other day(not one of the wifes favorites) and she said, don't we already have BS? to which I replied.....but not on BD which really gives the movie another dimension even though it's 2.35:1 the detail really pops on BD(it was only $6 at Sams).
post #547 of 694 Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

No DV output, it's just a camera that also records up to 29 minutes of HD video.

Right, no DV output, but doesn't it have USB?

You don't need a BD burner unless you are going to burn BD-R. If these are the usual short home video camcorder recordings you just format as AVCHD and burn to DVD-R/DL. Remember, AVCHD was made for this. You should be able to fit about 1 hr of HD camcorder footage on a DVD-R. True you need a BD player for playback to your TV, but you can still play them on your PC using the DVD burner.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #548 of 694 Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 PM

jjeff, i know those cheap devices are tempting but i reckon you would be better off with this

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Compone...6111640&sr=8-1

and a separate component to comp/s-vid converter around the same price or bit more than a all in one device which no doubt are not that good

Comparison of View HD and HDfury1 here. ViewHD looks ok to me. I want to get one.
http://www.hdfury.com/is-our-picture...egal-problems/

You can tell the guys at HDfury are pretty pissed off that they are not allowed to sell it in USA when other manufactures are allowed to. They seem singled out/targeted.
post #549 of 694 Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for those links cyclone82, I hadn't seen that dual input HDMI to component converter, for the price it sure sounds nice. I agree, it seems like for the best picture quality one needs to get a separate HDMI to component converter and then a separate quality component to S-video converter bringing the total cost a little over $200. It looks like for a better quality HDMI to S-video converter it would cost North of $300 so two separates would still be cheaper.
Considering the cost I think I'll try and figure out how to edit my camera footage on my PC. Since my footage isn't CP'd HDCP isn't a issue but I just figured if I was going to get such a device it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone since I'm not totally happy with the output of my Sima. I guess it seems Hollywood(or who ever the powers are to be) are forcing everyone to move away from standalones and do everything on a PC where programs are easily found....
post #550 of 694 Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Heres another one

http://www.cypress.com.tw/english/display.asp?id=402

CYP CM-388

Shame about this though

Quote:

When receving contents that has HDCP encryption, the CV & SV output will not display image

But i have seen this device elsewhere and not seen that written. There is anotherr one by Shinybow but that seems to have been pulled from market. Could not find one anywhere.

I think the viewhd one is fairly good unless you are maybe a perfectionist. The current model has mostly very good reviews and it sounds far better than those Lenkeng HDMI to S-vid converters flooding ebay but yes you would still need a component to s-vid converter but like you said, a reasonable set up could be had for around $300 if you shop around or can haggle. $80-$100 for HDMI to component & $190-$220 for component to s-vid/composite (viewHD & cypress/ambery/atlona/shinybow etc)

You next best option to the Sima may be the copiall Dv7000 or whatever its called. It seems upto date on the latest CP?.

Its strange how they want to stop restict standalone recording but are letting programes like AnyDVD exist and other devices that will allow getting component and HDMI into a computer.
post #551 of 694 Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM

Liked: 10
{Please excuse this longish post, covering a lot of ground, which I chose instead of multiple smaller ones.}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

Well I have read through this whole thread which took me all day pretty much. I am one of the people looking for a quality component to s-video converter plus a HDMI to component converter. So far it seems no one makes this sort of device all in one unless you want to buy a cheap unit from amazon or something that costs up near $1000 or so.

From what I can gather the top recommended component converters are
Altona
Ambery
Audio Autority
And perhaps Apple TV or some device from svideo.com which I did not read much about
Now here's another one to add to the mix

Cypresss
http://www.cypress.com.tw/english/display.asp?id=400
. . . .

Well, it took me a few days -- bit by bit -- to read through all 19 pages, but I've been interested in the topics covered in this thread. The reasons behind that interest are different and somewhat more immediate than preparing for a situation we may (probably will) be facing, and are detailed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21968683

I'm using a couple DirecTV HR23-700 receivers, one of which can still usually dub -- in SD, of course -- over to a Pio 640; the other one now most often can NOT, without a great deal of aggravation, and multiple re-tries for pieces that must then be joined together. Prior to several weeks ago, this function was pretty automatic at either video station. Even Premium content posed no problem. These receivers have Component, S-Vid, and Composite Out taps, in addition to the HDMI. Before I got them, almost two years ago now, I specifically inquired about this, and was told that all Outputs were simultaneously Live, without one preempting another. I only used the HDMI Out to the TV + the S-Vid to feed the Pio 640, but success with that particular subset seemed to support what I had been told. Had it been otherwise, I might have chosen a different provider, instead of DirecTV.

The archiving problem I have run into has forced me to begin exploring other options. To that end, I have since ordered what I now know to be the Lenking HDMI -> S-Vid box. I would also be inclined to get a reasonably good Component -> S-Vid box . . . which is where this thread comes in handy. If necessary, I won't stop there, or be deterred by having to spend more than what the Lenking cost.

I have some questions, prompted by various posts in this thread. One poster (much earlier in the thread), wondered about the compatibility of certain units with the DirecTV receivers. I'm wondering about that too. (Mine can output either 480i or 480p, which might be advantageous.)

In post #62, RonnieJP obtained poor results from the Component Out on his (circa 2009) DirecTV receiver. I don't suppose he might still be monitoring this thread, but if so I would ask if he managed to find a better solution ?

Is the "Analog Sunset" spoken of here the same thing as the threat to remotely turn off all non-HDMI outputs ? Whether it is or it isn't, note that this thread extends from 4/2007 to -- by now -- 5/2012, so this threat has been hanging over our heads for quite awhile now, without having yet materialized. (And I'm certainly not saying it won't, btw.)

From what I've read here, in regard to the Component Out I'd be inclined to try the Apple TV or Atlona AT-comp500 ones first -- provided there is no fundamental problem with the Component Out from these receivers. They have only ONE HDMI Out, so a good HDMI DA is probably in the cards . . . unless I can simultaneously avail myself of a Component Out solution. Of course, IF / WHEN they should turn OFF those other taps, I'll be truly hosed, and any $$ invested in these workarounds will be down the drain. At that point, I'd be very inclined to tell DirecTV to GFY (themselves, whatever, for correct syntax), and drop them as my provider.

The reported horizontal shear line issue and AR changes on the Atlona / AA units give me some pause, though.

Any solution that incidentally removes CP -- even if it's an unclaimed, under-the-radar feature -- would be a very big plus.

Ranging a bit farther afield: One poster said "This is one of the reasons I just bought an Oppo Digital BDP-95. . . . On 1/1/14 no BR player may be sold with Analog video outputs." Yes, but their website specs state that
"Analog Video: Composite, Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr, 480i/480p, 720p/1080i available for non-restricted content only." That kind of makes them useless though, doesn't it, unless you do a computer rip & copy first ? Or is there some Oppo production change regarding protected content that has already occurred ?

In post #523 of this thread, Budget_HT said: "If I were you, I would replace the current SD DirecTiVo with a new THR-22 HD DirecTiVo. Then you have HD recordings and your choice of HDMI or Component connections . . . "
This seems to confirm the reports I'd heard about DirecTV's new joint venture with Tivo. But I was under the impression that Tivo had dropped most of the other connectivity options for their boxes (at least on the cable side), leaving only HDMI and ethernet. There was even some doubt as to whether the vaunted Tivo2Go was going to continue much longer ?

That's probably enough for now. May follow up on some more later.
post #552 of 694 Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

In post #523 of this thread, Budget_HT said: "If I were you, I would replace the current SD DirecTiVo with a new THR-22 HD DirecTiVo. Then you have HD recordings and your choice of HDMI or Component connections . . . "

This seems to confirm the reports I'd heard about DirecTV's new joint venture with Tivo. But I was under the impression that Tivo had dropped most of the other connectivity options for their boxes (at least on the cable side), leaving only HDMI and ethernet.

The THR-22 has HDMI, component, s-video and composite out.
post #553 of 694 Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 AM

I know its not much use now but if i was you i would have passed on the Lenkeng HDMI to s-vid converter and got this

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Compone...6379391&sr=8-2

OR HD fury3

and a separate component to s-vid converter.

I will admit i have been tempted to also get one of those Lenkeng converters but i have talked my self out of it.

I have not got a ViewHD yet but the amazon and other reviews are impressive enough for me to grab one.

Undecided on which component to s-vid converter/s to get yet

Lets us know what you think of the Lenkeng though. i think the older models strip HDCP but the new 2012 model you see on ebay does not.
post #554 of 694 Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

The THR-22 has HDMI, component, s-video and composite out.

If that is current gear, they must have added back to this sat receiver desirable items no longer offered on their 4th. gen cable boxes. That sort of begs the question as to 'Why', if these outputs are at all likely to be switched OFF by the provider in the not too distant future ? Otherwise, it almost makes me want to get one, even at the cost of initiating a fresh two-year contract commitment with DirecTV. Before I did that, I would want to ask someone here who has one a few questions about Tivo2Go.
post #555 of 694 Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

If that is current gear, they must have added back to this sat receiver desirable items no longer offered on their 4th. gen cable boxes. That sort of begs the question as to 'Why', if these outputs are at all likely to be switched OFF by the provider in the not too distant future ? Otherwise, it almost makes me want to get one, even at the cost of initiating a fresh two-year contract commitment with DirecTV. Before I did that, I would want to ask someone here who has one a few questions about Tivo2Go.

The "analog sunset" doesn't apply to cable/sat boxes, they're protected by Fed law, as described below (from one of my help files.)... as long as the boxes have analog outputs, of course. I don't doubt that cable/sat companies won't start ordering such since many people erroneously think they are affected.

The "Analog Sunset"
Here's a good explanation of the "analog sunset" as mentioned here. It's a licensing agreement between content owners and CE mfgrs that applies to a narrow equipment category (BD) and NOT other equipment. As stated on pg 2 of the pdf doc:

"... analog sunset is also a narrowly defined, regulatory term whereby the performance and behavior of specific types of A/V equipment, namely Bluray Disc (BD) players and recorders, are restricted in a legally binding manner, and this term is not applicable to other equipment.

On pg 5, it states that cable/sat STBs, are not included:

"The analog outputs of cable or satellite TV set-top boxes, including receivers or DVRs, are sometimes improperly associated with the analog sunset. In the United States, the FCC has a regulation, 47 CFR 76.1903, that explicitly prohibits the disabling of analog outputs on cable and satellite set-top boxes...."
post #556 of 694 Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:

if i was you i would have passed on the Lenkeng HDMI to s-vid converter and got this

OR HD fury3

and a separate component to s-vid converter.

I'm working off the advice of someone very knowledgeable, whose opinion I greatly respect. He found the Lenkeng generally adequate (allowing for sample variation, which can be a factor . . . or maybe just chalk that up to dubious QC in the manufacturing), and that it did strip HDCP. He also warned me off the HD Fury for certain reasons. If I could have obtained one of the Fury 3 units (apparently) sold in Australia, already correctly firmware-d, known to be working perfectly, at a very reasonable price, I might have considered it.

Quote:

I will admit i have been tempted to also get one of those Lenkeng converters but i have talked my self out of it.

Lets us know what you think of the Lenkeng though. i think the older models strip HDCP but the new 2012 model you see on ebay does not.

Will do. One idea I tend to be resistant to is having a whole bunch of devices stacked up in the chain, in order to perform a basic task that I used to do going straight in to the DVDR. Thus far, I've seen no signs of DirecTV passing NO COPY flags, of the kind that stymied other DVDRs. (Unless this spontaneous reboot thing is some new ploy along those lines.)
post #557 of 694 Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Can a moderator please delete this and above double posts thanks

Only if *YOU* CLICK on the located on the left side of the individual post.

Moderators do NOT read EVERY post in EVERY forum.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Note to Cyclone82: Although I'm replying to YOUR post, my reply is not specifically directed to you but as a 'FYI' to *ALL* of the forum members that post the same type of message.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #558 of 694 Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

Only if *YOU* CLICK on the located on the left side of the individual post.

Moderators do NOT read EVERY post in EVERY forum.

Spoiler  
Note to Cyclone82: Although I'm replying to YOUR post, my reply is not specifically directed to you but as a 'FYI' to *ALL* of the forum members that post the same type of message.

Also, to confirm this for myself, I just went into EDIT Mode for my previous post and I see that I can Delete it myself.

Have you tried that?

Quote:
To delete this message, check the appropriate option below and then click the 'Delete this Message' button.

Deletion Options

• Do Not Delete Message
  • Delete Message
Reason for Deletion:

post #559 of 694 Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Well i tried to delete my own posts but could not find a delete button. Some forums only allow moderators to delete posts so i assumed this was one of them as i could see no delete button.

Well i found it now. I am sure it was not their before or maybe juinior members were not allowed to delete own messages?

Yeah you can buy the HD fury on Ebay Australia and direct from th HDfury site. I have heard nothing but good reports on the HDfury3. I plan to get one sometime.
post #560 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I have heard nothing but good reports on the HDfury3. I plan to get one sometime.

I have a Fury 2 and have never had a moments' worth of trouble with it.
The only possible drawback to the Fury 2 is that(IIRC) to have its FW updated i must send it to the manufacturer,although(IIRC)the EDIDS can be updated by the user.
post #561 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I know its not much use now but if i was you i would have passed on the Lenkeng HDMI to s-vid converter and got this

First-hand user reports on this from AVS members would be very welcome.
Does it go 1 --> 2 for HDMI Out, with no signal loss, and thereby lessening the need for a good HDMI DA ? Does it have any incidental benefits, like failing to pass CP ?
post #562 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First-hand user reports on this from AVS members would be very welcome.

Sorry i can't give you a first hand report,but i have read a LOT of very positive reviews on this unit.If i didn't already have a Fury 2,i think i would be very tempted to buy it and try it(based on user reviews).That's the only way to know "for sure" if it does what you want it to. I bought my Fury based on the many,many,many positive user reviews,and am glad i bought it.
post #563 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I would have given it a try also, but if I was going to go that route I'd want to go directly from HDMI to S-video since I have no recorder that directly uses component. Getting that device I'd need another device(component to s-video converter) which for a quality unit is currently over $300. Due to the cost, for my camera/camcorder footage I'm just going to go the PC route the whole way which also has the advantage to keep/archive my footage in full HD.
Again if that device was HDMI or even component to S-video and a quality unit not priced too high, I'd use it for the occasional realtime CP remover although even for that the majority of my backups are now done with a PC.
The above converter does look nice though, and the price is right
post #564 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would have given it a try also, but if I was going to go that route I'd want to go directly from HDMI to S-video since I have no recorder that directly uses component. Getting that device I'd need another device(component to s-video converter) which for a quality unit is currently over $300...

Before Cyclone82 began his research, I had pretty much decided to go with the Monoprice Component-to-S-Video Adapter for LT $50 from the Mag FAQ. jjeff, don't you own one?

While HD is noticeably sharper, even on my 'Budget-Level' Panasonic TC-L32C3, to conserve precious HDD space on my 'Free-For-One-Year' FiOS Motorola 7232, I've gotten accustomed to recording most 'Non-Major-Network' shows at SD (thus 4:3PS) and using ZOOM to fill the screen. Until I finally get an OTA antenna re-installed and can begin using my stockpile of CECBs, I currently have 3 Mag DVDRs dedicated to 3 ReplayTVs dedicated to ONE channel each - CBS, NBC, ABC - via Clear QAM. But, for the occasional movies that I'm burning to DVD, it's a darn shame to waste all those bits on 4 bars of black.

So, my question is, how does the 16:9 Anamorphic created by the Monoprice box compare to the HDMI 4:3PS ZOOM'd? ~$40-50 fits my budget; $300 no way. Also, does 'HDMI-to-S-Video' differ much from 'Component-to-S-Video'? Currently, I'd prefer leaving the HDMI connected to the HDMI Automatic Switch which feeds the TV and then, once-in-a-blue-moon, when I need to convert a 4:3PS movie from the 7232, I'd plug in the Monoprice and RTD to the Mag HDD.

I have to give back the 'FREE' 7232 in 2 weeks, so I'm cutting it down-to-the-wire to get the adapter and move the half dozen or so movies off of the 7232. Then, I plan to upgrade my FiOS Motorola 2500 SD STB to a Motorola 7100 HD STD and dedicate it to a ReplayTV with the Monoprice running 24x7 feeding HD 16:9 Anamorphic to the S-Video input of the ReplayTV. But, heaven forbid my wife or I decide to watch something LIVE in HD via HDMI direct to the TV. With an HDMI Adapter, wires would have to be swapped and then remembered to be swapped back; or a manual switch would need to be flipped and then flipped back. Separate HDMI-to-TV and Component-to-Adapter-to-ReplayTV seems preferable.

Is there much of a 'Quality Hit' between converting from HDMI vs Component? How does the Monoprice Component compare to 4:3PS ZOOM'd?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

post #565 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I do have a Lenkeng HDMI to S-video converter which I decided to keep since the price was so low and I did have a MonoPrice(I'm sure made by Lenkeng) component to S-video converter. The main reason I returned the MP device was I wasn't all that satisfied with the picture quality and I just didn't need it that bad. I also wasn't all that impressed with the HDMI to S-video converter(I'd say about similar quality to the MP device) but the reason I kept it was twofold. 1.) The $30 was just too cheap to return and 2.) I kind of wanted a last resort device if I had something that was only HDMI output and wanted to record it to one of my DVDRs.

While I wasn't all that impressed with either device, if it was a choice between one of them or recording a postage stamp image(what is outputted from many STBs and such) I'd chose the converters in a instant. Of course your best bet is a quality converter but not everyone wants to spend $300-400 to be able to record. If your in that boat I'd say get one of the MP converters and if for whatever reason your not happy MP is very good about returns, it will just cost you the return shipping(~$5 in my case).
Note a few others have reported better luck than Greaser or myself in regards to picture quality with the Lenkeng converters and it's been speculated that QC may be to blame, I do know I have 3 Sima CT-2 CP removers and one has noticeably better(not so washed out) picture quality. Not sure how much MP would like it but I suppose you could order 3 or 4 converters, try them all and keep the best if you didn't mind screwing around, otherwise just hope for the best
post #566 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

On the MP converters, make sure you try both NTSC and PAL switch positions. On PAL, you'll see what actually looks like an "OK" pic but it's not as good as on NTSC. I switched to both several times to make sure the switch wasn't reversed cuz the QC guy was smokin... something.
post #567 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Jjeff, at one time you gave screenshots of both types of Lenkeng converters you had.They're in a thread you created,to talk about all converters.Maybe you can find them and post a link,then interested people could see it and judge for themselves if they like the PQ or not.?? BEFORE they spend the money.
post #568 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

Jjeff, at one time you gave screenshots of both types of Lenkeng converters you had.They're in a thread you created,to talk about all converters.Maybe you can find them and post a link,then interested people could see it and judge for themselves if they like the PQ or not.??

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...dmi+to+s+video
The OP has the screen shots and I updated my above post, I believe it was you and I that weren't too happy with the Lenkeng PQ, not sure why I thought it was SuperEye
post #569 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's another take on the MP/Lenkeng converters using actual video source (moving pictures like we watch, not static test patterns).
post #570 of 694 Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The MP converter is up to 4.5 out of 5 stars on their site, most of the recent reviews have been 10 out of 10. The most recent reviewer had one of those STBs that gives the irritating warnings about using component cables(I take it he was using only composite and I seem to remember someone at AVS complaining of the same thing) and they said using the converter box they no longer get those warnings, he gave it a 10 of 10.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page