Cheaper Component to S-Video Converter - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 694 Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, it looks like this thread died a year ago, but apparently this device is still necessary huh? The price went up yet again too. $139 now. Any other solutions? That's a bit pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 694 Old 10-23-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsaregolden View Post

That's a bit pricey.

Even tho it also strips CP!?
post #33 of 694 Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM

jmystikcfl's post of last August pointed out that Component In and S-Video Out on his Philips DVDR77 does what everybody wants.

Philips and some other off-brand DVDRs of a few years ago were built with
- Component In/Out
- S-Video In/Out
- Composite In/Out
- RF In/Out

You don't even need the drive to function, just so long as the unit powers on the conversion should work.

Goodwill, ebay, or an Apple TV Converter at $130?
post #34 of 694 Old 11-24-2008, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Those who have used the Apple TV Converter and a DVD recorder with component inputs, how would you compare their PQ?

I thought about looking for an older DVD recorder, but I recall some makes/models used incorrect black levels because North America use a different video black level than Japan. Has anyone noticed this problem? If so, which makes/models should I avoid?

Thanks in advance.
post #35 of 694 Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Does anyone know if there's a way to determine how much free disk space and the equivalent recording time is remaining on a 3576 hard drive? Thanks.
post #36 of 694 Old 02-15-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any updates on this thing?

There's another converter on Ebay now...
Look up weesolutions on ebay. THat's the seller
"component converter"

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #37 of 694 Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomag View Post

Does anyone know if there's a way to determine how much free disk space and the equivalent recording time is remaining on a 3576 hard drive? Thanks.

On any TV Channel, press INFO button, look in bottom right corner of screen. Press Rec Mode button to see time at each mode.
post #38 of 694 Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm about to bite on one of these...

Anyone else have any advice?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #39 of 694 Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
It sure looks nicer than the Apple TV device. I like the brushed aluminum case. What's the price? If you get it please post back your impressions.
post #40 of 694 Old 02-25-2009, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

It sure looks nicer than the Apple TV device. I like the brushed aluminum case. What's the price? If you get it please post back your impressions.

$209 plus shipping.

It's made by Ambery.

http://www.ambery.com/covitocovisc.html

For some reason, I'm going towards the Ambery if only because there is a component pass-through that will remove macrovision. I don't know why I'd ever need it but I just feel like I might one day.

post #41 of 694 Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

It's more expensive than the Apple device but it seems to do much more. AFAIK the other component to S-video adapter Nextoo talked about, it will only convert 480i component to 480i S-video. The device you linked looks like it will take 480i-1080p and both downconvert to 480i for S-video/composite and pass thru the native resolution. That sounds really nice and would sure work with something like the DTVPal DVR which does not output 480i via component, so the other converter wouldn't work while this one would.
If you don't mind I'm going to put your link in the other thread since the title of this thread is "cheaper" component to S-video converter. Yours isn't cheaper but sure sounds more flexible. Lastly, are you sure the Ambery device removes CP? Maybe I missed it but I didn't see it mentioned in your link.
post #42 of 694 Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you don't mind I'm going to put your link in the other thread since the title of this thread is "cheaper" component to S-video converter. Yours isn't cheaper but sure sounds more flexible. Lastly, are you sure the Ambery device removes CP? Maybe I missed it but I didn't see it mentioned in your link.

Which other thread?

post #43 of 694 Old 02-25-2009, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's more expensive than the Apple device but it seems to do much more. AFAIK the other component to S-video adapter Nextoo talked about, it will only convert 480i component to 480i S-video. The device you linked looks like it will take 480i-1080p and both downconvert to 480i for S-video/composite and pass thru the native resolution. That sounds really nice and would sure work with something like the DTVPal DVR which does not output 480i via component, so the other converter wouldn't work while this one would.

It appears to be much better than the apple svideo converter for the reason you mention. It down converts a high definition source to 480i output. Plus it seems to offer high definition passthrough via component output simultaneously.

The apple svideo converter requires a 480i feed (it does not down convert) and some cableco boxes are now not providing a full widescreen image if the box is set to 480i - even via component output. So in these cases the apple svideo converter becomes useless.

As far as CP is concerned it seems that when a component input is converted to svideo the CP gets left behind. So pretty much any device that does this type of conversion eliminates any CP concern (edit - cableco/satco CP concern). This is probably the number one reason why DVD recorders with component inputs disappeared from the market as quickly as they did.
post #44 of 694 Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Which other thread?

This was Nextoo's thread(the one I was thinking about). I hadn't remembered the title had "cheaper" in it. Sounds like you're going to be getting a very nice converter/CP remover. Let us know your impressions.
post #45 of 694 Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This was Nextoo's thread(the one I was thinking about). I hadn't remembered the title had "cheaper" in it. Sounds like you're going to be getting a very nice converter/CP remover. Let us know your impressions.

I'm going to wait until I can (hopefully) get 25% off using live.com. We'll see

post #46 of 694 Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

To be honest with you all, I just found out about this:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Since I was primariily looking to use it to archive HD stuff in 16x9, I'm just going to get this and archive in HD!

post #47 of 694 Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 PM

I just thought I would report that I bought the Ambery device listed here and it works great. Thanks digital freak for posting it.
I wish it didn't cost twice as much as the dvd recorder I'm using it with, but it does everything that it advertises so I'm happy. I can now record programs off my dvr in native widescreen format which is great.
post #48 of 694 Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider12 View Post

I just thought I would report that I bought the Ambery device listed here and it works great. Thanks digital freak for posting it.
I wish it didn't cost twice as much as the dvd recorder I'm using it with, but it does everything that it advertises so I'm happy. I can now record programs off my dvr in native widescreen format which is great.

Thanks for reporting back. So, to be clear does it indeed convert component HD down to anamorphic 480i via s-video?

Also, do you know if it preserves (or adds) a widescreen flag, and finally does it also strip copy protection?

Sorry about all the questions...I sent Ambery an email and they never responded.
post #49 of 694 Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 AM

Yes, it converts component HD video down to anamorphic 480i via s-video. This was the reason I purchased it.

When recording, it did not set the widescreen flag. I don't know if this is because of the Ambery device or if certain stations aren't accurate about setting it properly. Do all HD channels set this flag as Y? I have a Toshiba DR420 which can set this flag for me. When I left it to automatic, it did not work properly so I had to force it on the dvd recorder to turn the flag to set to widescreen. I actually purchased the Toshiba over the Panasonic because of this feature since this was the only company I could find that offered this.

I just got the device and havn't recorded too much, but it was ok recording Dollhouse from FOX and I think it was CNN HD or maybe it was another HD news channel. I'll do a couple tests tonight to see if there are any copy protection issues.
post #50 of 694 Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider12 View Post

I'll do a couple tests tonight to see if there are any copy protection issues.

Thank you! My Star Choice satellite receiver doesn't output anamorphic widescreen properly, and they're threatening to start including CP flags soon, so the Ambery unit would kill 2 birds with one stone. I look forward to hearing about the results.
post #51 of 694 Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 PM

I played with it a bit tonight but couldn't find anything at all that has copy protection from my DVR. I know there is copy protection when using firewire, but I tried a number of stations just using composite without using the Ambery box and all seemed to record ok so I don't have a benchmark to test with.

I have Verizon FIOS with digital cable, but no extra pay channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) so I wasn't able to try them.

I tried passing the output of a dvd player into the dvd recorder and it would not let me record that so I thought maybe I could try using that with the Ambery device. But I got no picture at all when passing through the Ambery device. I guess it has to be a high def signal for that to work.

I'm not sure what else I can try.
post #52 of 694 Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks very much for all your efforts Spider12!

The only thing I can think of to test in your case would be: If your DVDR has a HDD and component out, you could connect the component out into the Ambery unit, and connect from the Ambery via composite or s-video to an input on the same DVDR. Then play a copy protected DVD and try to record to the HDD. That would confirm, but I don't know if you have the necessary cables, and you've already done more than enough.

Thanks again!
post #53 of 694 Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone seen or used this?

http://www.svideo.com/lkv7611.html

It’s from the same company that sells the Apple TV Component Video to S-video converter. But the Lenkeng LKV7611 is only $69.00 and appears to accept a whole bunch of video resolutions. I stumbled across this item while searching for something else. However it does not readily appear on svideo.com’s web site.
post #54 of 694 Old 05-22-2009, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

That is interesting, Mike. I'm looking at it and thinking, "What's the catch?" I don't get why the same company is selling 2 similar products where one is twice as expensive as the other. Perhaps this doesn't strip CP? I have no idea.
post #55 of 694 Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

That is interesting, Mike. I'm looking at it and thinking, "What's the catch?" I don't get why the same company is selling 2 similar products where one is twice as expensive as the other. Perhaps this doesn't strip CP? I have no idea.

Those are my thoughts too. There could be a difference in video quality, but you never know. I've sent svideo.com an email asking what are the differences between the two products. I'll post the reply once I get it.
post #56 of 694 Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM

I just ordered the Lenkeng LKV7611 from S-Video.com and it should be here next week.
I'll let you know how it works trying to record from DirecTV HD Receiver/DVR to my Panasonic DVD Recorder via S-Video. I want to see if it passes the WideScreen flag and also if it seems to disable CPRM copy protection.
post #57 of 694 Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still waiting for a reply from svideo.com. I figured I'd give them a week to reply, which will be tomorrow. Then I'd call them. I emailed them several months ago about a question I had on their more expensive converter but they never replied. That makes me a bit concerned about their customer service. Especially when their web site states to put "question" in the subject line of your email.

RonnieJP,

Please let us know how the LKV7611 works out.
post #58 of 694 Old 05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I ended up calling svideo.com and asking what the differences are between their expensive $169 converter and the $69 one.

The person I spoke with said the expensive YPBPR2CSV model was made in the USA, military approved and can be put under water. I asked if he was serious & he said yes. With the proper cables it can be put underwater. The cheaper Lenkeng LKV7611 was more versatile because it accepted several input formats.

He said he has used both & cannot tell a difference in picture quality. I asked if they sell many of the Lenkeng model because it does not show up as readily on their web site. He said they sell about equal numbers of both. And there is a 30 day money back guarantee, but I would have to pay shipping.

RonnieJP,

Please let us know how your unit works.
Thanks in advance.
post #59 of 694 Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Geez, under water, that's a handy feature
What will they think of next I think I'd save the Benjamin...
post #60 of 694 Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Mike99,

What I am more curious about is the difference between the Lenkeng and their other MR-YPBPR-AV Multi-Resolution converter which is on sale for $179.00.

It looks absolutely identical to the Lengeng!

RonnieJP
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page