Cheaper Component to S-Video Converter - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 694 Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Well I got my replacement Atlona 500 and while it's color is fine(my first one was WAY to saturated) this one has a issue where if one of the jacks is touched I lose the picture :mad: My guess is a bad solder joint or some other loose connection, but it's just not right. IMO the QC on these boxes seems atrocious, they may have potential for quite good picture quality but I don't want to mess with possibly 3 new boxes to get one good one. I also noticed some odd inconsistencies between the two boxes, according to the manual when plugged in the LED is supposed to be red and then turn to green when turned on, the second one works that way but the first is off and then turns red when turned on(no green). When I mentioned this to Atlona they said to not worry, must just be different versions.....The manual also says the box must be fed 480p or above to work, well the second box is that way for sure but the first box can also receive 480i(the second box has no output with 480i).

Well I promised some screen shots so here they are. Due to the number I may have to have them in multiple posts:

This screen shot is direct from S-video of my DVD player:

This screenshot is S-video through a Grex video filter(note slight loss of resolution):

This snapshot is component output converted by my second Atlona to S-video(note loss of resolution):

This snapshot is component output converted by my first Atlona to S-video(note loss of resolution):

Direct S-video:

S-video through Grex:

component output converted by second Atlona to S-video:

component output converted by first Atlona to S-video:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 694 Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Part 2 of screenshots.

Direct S-video

S-video through Grex(note very slight lightening of picture):

Component output through second Atlona converted to S-video(note major major darkening of picture):

Component output through first Atlona converted to S-video(note major darkening of picture):

S-video through Grex(note no direct S-video snapshot since source was CP'd):

Component output through second Atlona converted to S-video(note major major darkening of picture):

Component output through first Atlona converted to S-video(note darkening of picture, it may look good but in person it's dark):

S-video through Grex(note no direct S-video snapshot since source was CP'd):

Component output through second Atlona converted to S-video(note darkening of picture and white line near top of screen):

Component output through first Atlona converted to S-video(note color saturation and darkening of picture and also white line near top of screen):

Notes:

As you can tell the first second Atlona's color is way way to saturated. This may be hard to tell from some shots but is very obvious when watching things, also note the irritating white line along the top of the screen is also visible on both Atlona's, worse on letterboxed movies but visible all the time.

Also you can't see this on a screenshot but the first Atlona converter the video is wiggly near the top of the screen(on last snapshot it's near the top of the screen right before the letterbox, hard to see on a photo but very obvious on a moving picture).

IMO none of the Atlona devices did better than my Grex in fact both did quite worse to varying degrees, so if like me your only reason for purchasing such a converter was to remove CP I'd say save your self some money and get better PQ by purchasing a Grex(or similar good filter). If your stuck with a letterboxed cable box SD output and your box has full screen component then you might want to purchase 2 or even 3 of the Atlona converters and hope you get at least one good one, then return rest, I'll be returning mine and not messing with them anymore.

post #693 of 694 Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

I have the AA 1360, and the Atlona 500. I have no color problems with either. I do have two problems with both of them. SD sources are too dark. The other problem may be what you refer to as shearing. A horizontal line develops, with the portion of the frame above, and the portion below, actually from different frames. If there is a lot of movement, and vertical lines in the frame, it is very obvious. If not much movement, and more horizontal elements in the frame, not so obvious. This comes and goes, and doesn't come at the same place, if you replay a source.

I had the same problem with the horizontal line developing in the middle of the screen with top and bottom out of sync,luckily it was only intermittent and was most noticeable during action scenes.
But that was when i was with Dish.When i went to internet streaming thru my laptop and Roku,the problem disappeared.No more horizontal shear,just good PQ.
No funny white lines on top of the screen either.
I assume that there was just some compatibility problem between the sat.receiver and the Atlona.confused.gif
The same problem may happen with cable stb's too??
post #694 of 694 Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I get the horizontal shear on Comcast. I haven"t tried either converter on anything else.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page