Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 4792 Old 01-23-2008, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my Philips 3575 yesterday. Its hooked up to a 42" plasma through composite cable that came in the box. I am strictly OTA and bought it to record digital TV.

I have to say that I am disappointed in the picture quality (PQ) of recorded programs. For example I watch PBS (1080i) directly on the plasma, it looks fantastic. The same show recorded or in "pass through" mode looks horrible on the 3575. The only reason I would tolerate it is because at present I have no other way to record OTA digital TV. I hate paying monthly fees -- that's why I am OTA.

I understand there is a down conversion to standard definition (SD) and that there will be some degradation in PQ. But I did not anticipate the magnitude of the degradation. Based on earlier comments I thought it would be as good as watching wide-screen DVD's, which are also SD. It's no where close. It looks like a bad VHS recording.

I have an HDMI cable on order and will try it out when it arrives to see if that improves PQ. I will post the results.

On the plus side I hooked it up to a Sony camcorder through IEEE1394 and was able to successfully copy the tape to the HDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 4792 Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yes you should get much better PQ using HDMI, or at the least component or S-video. Composite is really very poor, not much better than watching via RF ch3 or 4.
Keep an eye out for the Echostar tr50 which at last I read should be available by summer. Perfect for you and I. OTA and HD.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972197
post #3153 of 4792 Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbonobo View Post

On the plus side I hooked it up to a Sony camcorder through IEEE1394 and was able to successfully copy the tape to the HDD.

Could you try recording widescreen (16:9) video you've shot with your DV camera to see if the Philips can record 16:9 via Firewire IEEE1394 with the correct aspect ratio?

Some of us would like to know. TIA.
post #3154 of 4792 Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I got my Philips 3575 yesterday. Its hooked up to a 42" plasma through composite cable that came in the box. I am strictly OTA and bought it to record digital TV.

I have to say that I am disappointed in the picture quality (PQ) of recorded programs. For example I watch PBS (1080i) directly on the plasma, it looks fantastic. The same show recorded or in "pass through" mode looks horrible on the 3575. The only reason I would tolerate it is because at present I have no other way to record OTA digital TV. I hate paying monthly fees -- that's why I am OTA.

I understand there is a down conversion to standard definition (SD) and that there will be some degradation in PQ. But I did not anticipate the magnitude of the degradation. Based on earlier comments I thought it would be as good as watching wide-screen DVD's, which are also SD. It's no where close. It looks like a bad VHS recording.

I have an HDMI cable on order and will try it out when it arrives to see if that improves PQ. I will post the results.

I'd suggest you to check out this post from Wajo, our resident expert:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...5&postcount=11
post #3155 of 4792 Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

If your Sony does widescreen and you test that on the 3575, make sure you set the Video > TV Aspect for 16:9 Wide before copying.
post #3156 of 4792 Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Use at least component video cables, I have used mine both ways and either looks great on the digital channels. I now have it hooked up through HDMI cable because I got some good quality ones dirt cheap online a while back. I see a tiny bit of sparklies around the edges of some small print and things, haven't retried my component cables again to see if it looks better. I only have so many inputs and cables to go around, plus the hassle of redoing and moving things around.
So far the latest latest unit has held all digital channels still and the mid fifty channels still are good on analog.
I might just go back to Wally world with the 1st old unit and my receipt/extended warranty and see if they'll swap it out when even newer units show up.
I've heard folks have gotten Dec builds through some of the online sources.
My store also still sells theirs at 298 rather then the 320 new price online.
post #3157 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yes you should get much better PQ using HDMI....

I didn't. The better the connection, and the higher the resolution, the worse it looked. The best possible picture I was able to get on my 50" plasma was through s-video at 480i. And it still wasn't acceptable enough, as I finally just gave up and returned the Philips.

Tallbonobo's experience matches mine to a tee, no matter what I tried. I couldn't have described it better myself. Even my SD satellite tuner's PQ was degraded running through a line input.
post #3158 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 AM

I've had the 3575H since July after my EH75V died. The 3575H is not as easy to use, but it was a lot cheaper, with a larger hard drive, and we are used to its quirks by now (I used title divide and scene edit early on, but then stopped that after locking a couple of titles). I have followed the threads on digital channel loss, and my situation is different: it is OTA. On 2 or 3 occasions, channel 36.1 (KXAN-DT) was the last channel to record a program. The next day, all digital channels were lost. I had to rescan them. More than once, I did not notice this until AFTER recording "nothing" on a timer program. I believe this station has some tuner compliance issues because of another incident. I used the STOP button to end a recorded program on this channel, then tried to change to another channel to begin recording. The digital tuner lost all channels, and I had to rescan again. I was using the manual method due to an interruption in recording. From what I read, noone else has reported channel loss issues with OTA. I had been checking the unit for a while after this happened, but it had not done this for a long time until Tuesday PM; this caused Wednesday PM recording to be "blank".
post #3159 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 AM

This is an occasional problem; I wonder if anyone else has seen it. After recording a title of 60 minutes, I edit it down to about 43 to 44 minutes to copy to a DVD-R. I also delete the auto-chapters, leaving the chapter marks at the deletion points. Most titles have 5 or 6 chapters. In a few rare cases, the last chapter on the title has no audio when played back, whether on this unit or on another unit (after the disk is finalized). Oddly, if I hit the FF button and then the PLAY button, then the audio is restored. The closed captions are available in either case. I discovered that the audio is not lost until AFTER the disc is finalized. This has always happened in Chapter 5 or 6; once it happened in both 5 and 6. In one case, with 3 titles on a disk, this happened in Chapter 6 of the 2nd and 3rd titles. There does not seem to be a way to avoid this since it does not occur until after finalize.
post #3160 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I didn't. The better the connection, and the higher the resolution, the worse it looked. The best possible picture I was able to get on my 50" plasma was through s-video at 480i. And it still wasn't acceptable enough, as I finally just gave up and returned the Philips.

Tallbonobo's experience matches mine to a tee, no matter what I tried. I couldn't have described it better myself. Even my SD satellite tuner's PQ was degraded running through a line input.

Maybe the "much" statement was a bit much.... but I would think even you would agree that anything(even HDMI) would be better than composite.
I was amazed how poor composite looked to me the other day. I ran out of good inputs to my Panny LCD, and only had a composite open. I temporally hooked up a spare DVDR to that input for testing. It looked awful. And to think that was the preferred connection for years, with non S-vcr's. Hard to believe!
post #3161 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayjr View Post

This is an occasional problem; I wonder if anyone else has seen it. After recording a title of 60 minutes, I edit it down to about 43 to 44 minutes to copy to a DVD-R. I also delete the auto-chapters, leaving the chapter marks at the deletion points. Most titles have 5 or 6 chapters. In a few rare cases, the last chapter on the title has no audio when played back, whether on this unit or on another unit (after the disk is finalized). Oddly, if I hit the FF button and then the PLAY button, then the audio is restored. The closed captions are available in either case. I discovered that the audio is not lost until AFTER the disc is finalized. This has always happened in Chapter 5 or 6; once it happened in both 5 and 6. In one case, with 3 titles on a disk, this happened in Chapter 6 of the 2nd and 3rd titles. There does not seem to be a way to avoid this since it does not occur until after finalize.

Set auto-chapter to OFF and see if it happens then.
post #3162 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:

My PBS station broadcasts in 1080i (Houston), but many of the shows are just SD embedded in the HD frame, i.e. black bars on all four sides. When I record these shows with a 16:9 setting on the 3575, it preserves the black bars all around, meaning that the recording essentially has lost resolution. I think recording such shows with a setting of 4:3 P&S would preserve the PQ of the SD "HD" better, but I'm too likely to forget to change back to 16:9 for my other programs. As it is, if I use the Zoom feature of the 3575 or my TV to make the recording fit, that's when the PQ really looks the worst. Still, I prefer this to snowy analog OTA reception.

One other observation is that the black level (brightness) of the tuner in these units is off. I mentioned in this forum (I think) a while back that my recordings always looked dark. I attributed it to not having calibrated the 3575 and my TV. But having done that now with GetGray's disc, my recordings still seem too dark upon playback, even burned DVDs played on the computer. The same things have been seen over in the Magnavox H2080MW8 thread, with one poster having done some actual tests on both the Mag and Philips and found the black level conversion lacking. (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12870060) The problem only seems to occur for the ATSC-NTSC conversion, not on the NTSC tuner or commercial DVD playback. I gripe a little here, but the con is still outweighed by the pros in my case.
post #3163 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 AM

wajo ,

I got a 3575H recently (August '07 mfg) and was totally clueless about it but purchased one largely on following these and other forums, and your hard work and the postings you have made regarding this unit are absolutely incredible and I humbly thank and commend you for your sincerity and sharing your knowledge on this device.

I am of VERY limited means and on disability, but awhile back I was VERY lucky to find a low-mileage VERY high end Tube-Type Projector for ~$160 that can output 1080i resolution (although the Philips can't do it through my PJ), and the DVDR-3575H/37 made my projector literal AV heaven for me as I was trying to build a PC to feed it with, but with the Philips 3575H I can now watch and record HDTV, watch DivX, XviD and other formats on my PJ with the greatest of ease far exceeding what I would have went through, experienced and spent had I went through hooking up a HTPC to my PJ.

A simple S-Video connection to my PJ and 2 wires for audio and I was off to the races with my 3575 and my PJ... I just wish I could hook up the Philips to my PJ and achieve upconversion but I am not sure how to accomplish this although the PQ with the S-video cable while watching DVD's or HDTV is incredibly good and it tunes far more OTA HDTV channels than any of the 3 HDTV tuners I have for my PC's.

My 2yo & 3yo grandkids are having an absolute blast watching Elmo and their favorite movies now on the biggest screen they've ever seen thanks to the 3575

Now, I just wish I had another 3575 for my desktop
LOL. I mean I love watching their shows with them, but I do need some "me" time also once in awhile...

Sincere regards and **MUCH THANKS** from the scorched earth of Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana (south of NOLA), where we had cows, coffins and trucks in trees after the great pool-party/water-b0mbing of '05...
post #3164 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BurntPixlz, what a great story! Everyone who has posted on the 3575 contributed to your happy experience! You certainly deserve it!!!

As they say down there (I think?), LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!
post #3165 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 PM

In response to plplplpl question about 16:9 aspect ratio transfers from my camcorder:

I happened to have transfered a tape which was recorded initially at 4:3 aspect and then later (after I realized the camera setting was incorrect) at 16:9 aspect ratio. The transfer over 1394 worked perfectly. The first part of the tape plays back in 4:3 (with sidebars) and the later part plays back in 16:9 occupying the full screen. The PQ isn't great but this is not an HD camcorder so I am okay with that. I hope that answers your question.

HDMI cable result:

HDMI does look (marginally) better than composite on some scenes. I have both HDMI and composite hooked up to the plasma TV and have tried switching back and forth. The image is darker and the color rendering is off compared to the native rendering on the plasma. Flesh-tones are not great. I remember reading something about that on this thread, I'll go back and investigate.

jjeff: thanks for pointing out the echostar tr50. It's frustrating that Philips won't record in HD on the 3575. I understand that to transfer to DVD you have to use SD. But they should have given the option to record HD to HDD. The OTA signal is already in HD at the output of the tuner/demod (there's no such thing as an SD tuner) so it would be a simple matter of transferring it to HDD without any further operations on the signal. There must be some cost consideration that I am not seeing that made Philips omit HD recording to HDD from the unit. It's possible that the MPEG-decoder that they have in the unit only handles SD? But the transcoding process of going from HD to SD involves first decoding the HD stream then down sampling it to a lower resolution and then reencoding it to MPEG at SD resolution. So it must be the case that they have an HD decoder inside the unit. My guess is that a firmware change is all that would be required to make this unit record and play back HD from the HDD.
post #3166 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to defend Philips, but one other possible limitation to recording HD to the HDD would be the size of the HDD. It would really stand out with HD. My guess is a person would only get ~10 hrs HD on the 160GB HDD(I'm just totally guessing on the time, but I know on the Tivo HD, you don't get much time on the HDD using HD as the source).
post #3167 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 PM

The ATSC OTA broadcast standard has a user payload of 19.38 Mbps. This will typically be a multiplex of one HD channel plus one or more SD channels. If we conservatively assume all this information needs to be recorded (my understanding is that typically the HD channel only uses up around 12 Mbps). Then we need around 8.7GB per hour of recording. So a 160GB drive should hold around 18 hours of HD recording (and perhaps up to 60% more, around 29 hours if we assume the lower 12 Mbps number). I would be perfectly happy with these type of numbers given that there is no other alternative.
post #3168 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, I would be happy with 29, or even 18 hrs of HD. But advertisers really like to push the 168hr 6hr mode feature. My guess is they would think people would complain about the short HD capacity. Again I'm not defending Philips, but just trying to figure out what they might have been thinking.
post #3169 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayjr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Set auto-chapter to OFF and see if it happens then.

Wajo is right. I had a similar problem after dubbing from the HDD to DVD. When playing the DVD, I noticed near the end of certain chapters (about the last two to three), there was no audio. So I would press the FF button and the PLAY button and audio would be restored for that particular chapter but if I would go to the next chapter, audio was lost again. Or I would press the Rapid Play button a couple of times and that would restore audio. But only for that particular chapter. So what I did was set auto-chapter to OFF and I haven't had any problems with lost audio since. Chapters are automatically marked when deleting a specific part of a title such as commercials between shows. (This could get a bit tedious when deleting parts of shows or events that are over an hour or two long).
post #3170 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

............Once you get the HD TIVO video copied to the 640 and send the signal out again, it'll be very insteresting to see if you notice any diff, one way or another, between digital composite and any other output from the 640.

It'd be esp. nice to compare the S-Vid output with composite and see if the 640 retains the separate components from the S-Vid copy to the 640... getting complicated to put into words, but you get the idea?

I tested these connections on my Pioneer 640 dvd recorder, using (what I *think* is) the same picture settings on my digital composite and on my s-video cable, both from bluejeanscable, so good quality cable examples of both types. What I've found is that their s-video cable provides better color than the digital composite cable. For a while, I also thought the sharpness/clarity was better, but upon further examination, they are the same. It's just that the fuller/richer color of the s-video cable transferred content is also creating a perception of greater detail, most likely a result of the greater contrast provided by the better color (and better contrast is said to improve perceived sharpness or clarity).

The wild card in all of this is how I am connected to my 37" lcd tv when playing back s-video recorded content from the Pioneer 640 (and still talking about HD Tivo as the original content source) vs. digital cable under the same circumstances. Specifically, for playback purposes, I have my Pio 640 dvd recorder attached to my lcd via a digital composite cable. I'm not sure if this impacts my observation in any way.

In other words, could attaching an s-video cable to my lcd tv change my perceptions of the recordings I talked about in my previous paragraph? I don't know. If anything, I would suspect the s-video recordings would look even better than they do now, increasing it's superiority over the digital composite cable, if I had an s-video cable connected to the lcd tv.

Quote:

You may be expecting too much from your particular display. Generally, LCD's don't display SD as well as the better plasmas do (before anyone comments - I said "in general, not as well"). They often appear "softer" from closer up.

Have you tried turning up the sharpness? After a little calibration, which usually involves that, and maybe turning on the NR a bit to compensate for any artifacts that may cause, a good HD recording practically looks HD when recording from my Sony DVR to my Panny EH75V - at least from 10 ft. away. I would figure that the TiVo HD and the Pioneer recorder combo should be equal, as long as you're using the highest quality recording speed.

Have you tried dubbing from the TiVo HD to a computer? Might get better results - worth a try, anyway.

Yes, I'm very much aware that the general perception out there is that the average plasma does better processing of non-HD content than the average lcd. Not sure if this perception would hold up under rigorous scrutiny or not, but from reading thousands of posts in the plasma/lcd forums over the years, I do believe there is some truth to that perceptional advantage of plasma over lcd.

Regarding your question about adjusting the sharpness, no I did not as the Pioneer recorder doesn't have a "sharpness" setting, per se. But, I have observed that it's "YNR" menu setting, who's described purpose is to "adjust the brightness noise reduction", does improve sharpness by having it set at minimum. No other setting had an impact upon sharpness. In any case, nothing I have attempted yet has yielded approximate "dvd quality" recordings as commonly claimed as being viable with regard to the better dvd recorders here on this dvd forum (which is what prompted both yours and wajo's posts I've quoted above.. in case you've forgotten.. it's been awhile. ).

With all that said, even though I've expressed dissatisfaction that my Pio 640 recorder was not providing even "dvd quality" output of HD downres'd content (I'd actually be thrilled with dvd quality, if I could get it), from what I've observed of it so far, my dad's new Philips 3575 recorder pales even in comparison to my Pioneer 640 in this respect. I'll qualify this statement a bit more towards the end of my post.

To your last question, "tried dubbing from the TiVo HD to a computer?", no, I have not. Like you, I would be very curious to know if that helps and how much.

Quote:

I have to echo these observations, at least so far.

My dad has the Philips 3575 recorder now, recommended to him by me based upon all the positive feedback for it here. We've hooked it up to his new Samsung 50" plasma. As of right now, we only have the hdmi cable connected for playback from the Philips to the plasma. But so far, in the case of commercial dvd playback, the elcheapo no name $50 value dvd player he has provides a better picture than the hdmi cable connected Philips 3575. In terms of color mostly. Much richer, more vivid in that one respect.

I've only had about 90 minutes with his Philips 3575 when I'm over visiting, and I haven't been able to find where picture adjustments can be made. Not exhaustive searches for it, mind you, but it hasn't exactly jumped out at me yet. I don't even see anything about making these adjustments in wajo's (LOVE the name shortening, btw!) FAQ section. I assume there is one, and I keep missing it? If there is one, hopefully I'll be able to tweak it to surpass the playback quality of his bargain basement dvd player (which is connected to the plasma by a super cheapo s-video cable, btw).

I still need to bring him some extra s-video and/or digital composite cables to try out for his playback of content recorded to his Philips 3575. As of right now though, the playback of his recorded content from the Philips, connected to his plasma by hdmi cable, pales in comparison to my Pioneer 640 recorded content displayed on my smaller lcd tv. How much the variance of panel sizes, brands and technology (lcd/plasma) is contributing to the difference is difficult to quantify at this stage. I'll share more observations after some more time helping him tweak his setup.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #3171 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #3172 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM

can anyone help me. dose anyone know where i can get setting info for my plasma? please help
post #3173 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks, wajo. I'll see if that helps anything. I've seen those settings before, but I thought nothing changed when trying to switch between them, like only one of the two options was available. I wanna say it was the RGB and the other, YCbCr, wasn't available to choose. The setting bounced back automatically to the RGB. Again, from vague recollection of a prior attempt. I'll play with it some more this weekend.

And if I have enough time, I'll see what a digital composite cable does, comparing HDD recorded content playback between the hdmi and the composite cable.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #3174 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

thanks, wajo. I'll see if that helps anything. I've seen those settings before, but I thought nothing changed when trying to switch between them, like only one of the two options was available. I wanna say it was the RGB and the other, YCbCr, wasn't available to choose. The setting bounced back automatically to the RGB. Again, from vague recollection of a prior attempt. I'll play with it some more this weekend.

And if I have enough time, I'll see what a digital composite cable does, comparing HDD recorded content playback between the hdmi and the composite cable.

Hey, the "bounce-back" is something new to me and good to know! I knew that the RGB/YCbCr setting was supposed to "revert" to RGB if the display was non-YCbCr compliant, but it'd be nice to see if it really does auto-bounce back to RGB as a definite no-no-YCbCr thing! My LCD takes YCbCr and gives me an awesome pic on commercial DVDs (produced in YCbCr)!

On the digital composite cables, that's only if the signal source is cable, which is a composite signal. If OTA or Sat, the higher-quality cables *should* be better for those (mostly) Component sources. (I think some people might have been missing the "match the source" part of my post on connecting to the TV? Digital Composite cable is not for everyone.)
post #3175 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

well, "bounce back" might have been a poor choice of words. I think it might have been a manual bounce back procedure. As in, the setting didn't take, so I switched it back to the other on my own.

thanks for the qualification on the cable issue. yea, I almost forgot about that aspect. The cable service is "standard cable", which is analog for our local Comcast Cable nomenclature, except for the HD/digital free ones he gets via the QAM tuner. We'll probably just use the cable which provides the best visual experience for the majority of channels they watch, or some other criteria along those lines.

post #3176 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Bought one with a Nov 07 build date.

Connected it to HDMI output, also tried SVHS and component. Tried cable box feeding the 3575 and the 3575 feeding the cable box.

The PQ out of this was a disappointment. Upscaling was horrid compared to my Oppo.

One of the worst was the aspect ratio given to Comcast cable shows. When you flip channels and at the bottom of the screen there is an info box with the channel and program information? When trying all combination of outputs, the only way to get the box to fully display was if the picture itself as skewed. Maddening to my wife.

With the picture in the correct aspect ratio (not squeezed vertically or horizontally), the bottom half of the info box (as well as a portion of the picture itself) was cut off.

Called Philips, they walked me through everything. No luck. Had a buddy who does HT setups, he went through everything with Philips as well. No go.

Back to the store it went.

I'm bummed...
post #3177 of 4792 Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 PM

POST captainvid;12531557]Well I finally got my second replacement unit to replace the one I bought last May. From the day I bought it, it had the digital cable memory loss syndrome. I called them to complain about it and they sent me a new one in July but it would not finish the channel search sequence. Back it went and since them I called every month to hear them say we are out of stock and will ship next month. So here after 6 months I get a replacement in a plain brown box and after opening it up I find its a refurbished unit with an April manufacture date. It also says its only warranted for 90 days. It is an April build but has the latest mods and software in it I am so disgusted with their "rapid replacement program" that I dont know if I even want to test it out to see if they have fixed the problems. This model has so much potential yet they seem to not care at making it right. If I decide to connect it up I will post my findings.... otherwise they are going to get another call from me tomorrow. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

==============================================
Well 3rd time is not a charm. I got my third replacement unit with a December build. It is new and not refurb. I connected it up along with the the April Refurb unit to compare the two. I am unhappy to say that they are identical almost every way. Both have the same software versions. Both do not lose QAM channels. Both during the Auto Search mode hangs when they get to DTV ch 135 (QAM) and once you escape from the channel search mode it remains on 135.1 until you can change to another channel only when it flashes a blue screen (about once a minute). The only difference I noticed is the new unit will not tune in some of the DTV channels manually that the other one found during auto scan. One other final note is that both units still have the DTV channels with a lower black level than the same feed on the analog channels (using S-video out). I know that removing the cable feed just before getting to 135 will probably allow the search to finish but this is totally unacceptable since Comcast likes to frequently move channels around and I need to scan to find them. I think Philips needs to rethink using China as it manufacturing source. (there is some joke about lead/poision I could make here but I will refrain at this time)
post #3178 of 4792 Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainvid View Post

POST captainvid;12531557]Well I finally got my second replacement unit to replace the one I bought last May. From the day I bought it, it had the digital cable memory loss syndrome. I called them to complain about it and they sent me a new one in July but it would not finish the channel search sequence. Back it went and since them I called every month to hear them say we are out of stock and will ship next month. So here after 6 months I get a replacement in a plain brown box and after opening it up I find its a refurbished unit with an April manufacture date. It also says its only warranted for 90 days. It is an April build but has the latest mods and software in it I am so disgusted with their "rapid replacement program" that I dont know if I even want to test it out to see if they have fixed the problems. This model has so much potential yet they seem to not care at making it right. If I decide to connect it up I will post my findings.... otherwise they are going to get another call from me tomorrow. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

==============================================
Well 3rd time is not a charm. I got my third replacement unit with a December build. It is new and not refurb. I connected it up along with the the April Refurb unit to compare the two. I am unhappy to say that they are identical almost every way. Both have the same software versions. Both do not lose QAM channels. Both during the Auto Search mode hangs when they get to DTV ch 135 (QAM) and once you escape from the channel search mode it remains on 135.1 until you can change to another channel only when it flashes a blue screen (about once a minute). The only difference I noticed is the new unit will not tune in some of the DTV channels manually that the other one found during auto scan. One other final note is that both units still have the DTV channels with a lower black level than the same feed on the analog channels (using S-video out). I know that removing the cable feed just before getting to 135 will probably allow the search to finish but this is totally unacceptable since Comcast likes to frequently move channels around and I need to scan to find them. I think Philips needs to rethink using China as it manufacturing source. (there is some joke about lead/poision I could make here but I will refrain at this time)

Does your December unit have interference on channels 51-57? I am curious about this because I might swap out my October unit.
post #3179 of 4792 Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM

are you referring to analog or digital side....if digital I dont have any channels in that range
post #3180 of 4792 Old 01-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainvid View Post

are you referring to analog or digital side....if digital I dont have any channels in that range

Channels 51-57 on the analog tuner. These are the ones that show interference in the Sept units and some October units.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page