post #4771 of 4792 Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtrek View Post

I'd occasionally also get an "E 22" error message, which I believe is another disc (DVD) reading error. Or, at least, I think I read that somewhere online. Maybe (hopefully) it was indeed just a few bad DVDs.

It might be good for you to check the Media ID (MID) on the discs you've been using to see if they might be Class 2 or even Class 3 (Crap) according to digitalfaq.com. Here's a help file on the onboard utility the 3575 has for checking the MID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtrek View Post

wajo: "Do you use 16X discs exclusively, or do you have some slower-speed discs you can try, even if RW?"

I'm at work so I can't check which kind of discs that I've been using. Just the standard DVD-R, I think. I can't remember the speed, but I presume 16X like you say. I buy them usually in the 50 or 100 spindle packs and, like I said, have never really had any problems with them. I dub everything to them at SP (high speed dub) and the picture quality is fine (a bit less so on the stuff that I'm transferring from VHS, of course). All I have is the most recent 100 pack that I bought. I'd recently run out and gone out and bought a new pack. (I don't think that I have any RW DVDs.)

Here's another help file on DVDs with some interesting info on DVD Speed that points to using lower-speed discs whenever possible.

You might be suddenly getting a bad combo of high-speed discs (requiring 40% more burn power) and bad media ID?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 4792 Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Here's another help file on DVDs with some interesting info on DVD Speed

Link is bad...
post #4773 of 4792 Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec630 View Post

Link is bad...

Thanks... fixed now, but here it is again.
post #4774 of 4792 Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR_999 View Post

I recently have experienced macroblocking with the network channels (4.1, 7.1, 9.1) on my Philips 3575. I have the main cable running directly into the unit and another cable from the pass-thru to the TV. Pass-thru reception works fine. But while watching via the tuner I get a breakup in the picture and momentary sound loss every few minutes.

Does this mean the tuner is toast?

My 3575 is connected exactly like yours and I had the same problem with the network channels - specifically HD programs. It turned out the signal strength from Comcast was TOO STRONG for the Philips tuner with HD digital signals. Inserting in-line attenuator(s) resulted in perfect reception and recording. I bought four of them (3, 6, 8, and 10dB) to cover a 3dB to 27dB range, and just kept experimenting with different combinations until I found the lowest value to eliminate breakup.
post #4775 of 4792 Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 PM

[quote=wajo;18144087]AFAIK, no one has worn out a DVD drive in a Philips 357x or Mag 2080/2160.

I find that hard to believe, especially in my present situation. I was looking back here to see if anyone had managed to cob in a standard computer-type DVD burner, but I guess I'll try to order another Magnavox 2160 to minimize down time.

I've got a 3575h that I've had since about September 2007. Skip 123 shows 477 hours writing DVDs and 1318 hours reading them. For several months now I've been noticing more wasted disks than usual. I've also got a 3576h and a Mag 2160MW9A and this is giving a lot more errors than those. This 3575 was my first one, and now it's devoted to recording from PBS where there aren't many commercials to edit out. It's burned maybe 1000 DVDs.

I've had several CD burners go bad over the last 10 years or so and this is the way they went, just higher and higher error rates with more wasted disks until I finally got sick of it and replaced. This isn't so easy to replace I suspect. About 4 or 5 times in a row now I've gotten "Can not record on this disc" errors trying to get stuff off it, new Sony disks each time. I know I can dub to another recorder or maybe swap drives between the 3675 and the 3576 to get it off, but things get pretty busy here at times, and sometimes I'm actually recording 3 channels on the 3 recorders. It's just a hobby that's gotten out of hand since I've retired.

I read once in a thread somewhere that as the lasers age (including the possiblility that a seal in there goes bad) they have less output. It takes more calibration time to get them going, which wastes more of the calibration area on the disk. I'm seeing this error both trying to write data and trying to finalize. If I get it burned and try to finalize in another recorder I may still get the "can not record" error there if the 3576 has used up all the calibration space.

So, I'm wondering if people can post hours of laser time after which things are still working. Also if anyone has managed to get a regular computer DVD drive hooked up, even if it takes a hacksaw and Dremel, and maybe wiring an adapter. Are they normal ATA/IDE drives?

Thanks. I used to read these threads a lot more before I got stuck with dial-up. Sorry if these questions have been answered.

Alan
post #4776 of 4792 Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a help file with pics on replacing the DVD drive ($67.99).

A std 40-pin drive won't work... I tried and my pics in that help file show why.

Farther down, that help file also has some (dated) stats on DVD usage by some people who reported them.

Before replacing, I'd try some 8X Taiyo Yuden from supermediastore.com first, or Verbatim 8X if you can find them. Here's a help file on recommended DVDs and where to get them.
post #4777 of 4792 Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1jx View Post

AFAIK, no one has worn out a DVD drive in a Philips 357x or Mag 2080/2160.

I find that hard to believe, especially in my present situation. I was looking back here to see if anyone had managed to cob in a standard computer-type DVD burner, but I guess I'll try to order another Magnavox 2160 to minimize down time...

I've had several CD burners go bad over the last 10 years or so and this is the way they went, just higher and higher error rates with more wasted disks until I finally got sick of it and replaced. This isn't so easy to replace I suspect...

So, I'm wondering...if anyone has managed to get a regular computer DVD drive hooked up, even if it takes a hacksaw and Dremel, and maybe wiring an adapter. Are they normal ATA/IDE drives?

Alan

The DVD Drives in the 2160 are proprietary in design and do not interchange with computer DVD burners.

According to Funai the DVD Drive and its associated Circuit Board Assembly (CBA) must be replaced together as a module.

Earlier this month I contacted Funai Service Parts and purchased a spare DVD Drive/CBA module (N78F8EUN) for the original 2160 version (of 2008 manufacture). My thought is that this module might also serve as an upgrade for my earlier Magnavox 2080 or Philips 3575 and 3576 models. (There might be an unintended consequence of using a 2160 DVD Drive/CBA module on a Philips 3575 or 3576 in that the Philips might no longer recognize the Philips remote.)

The 2160 "A" version (of 2009 manufacture) uses a different model DVD Drive/CBA module (N78F0FUN) with a revised operating system and support for the SATA hard drive whereas the original 2160 version uses a PATA hard drive.

The photos of my spare DVD Drive and its associated CBA are found in these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18290205

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18290219

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4778 of 4792 Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some advice. I just installed a working seagate 400gb drive (ST3400832A) into my Philips 3575 and I've run into a really weird problem. When a timed recording starts from the machine powered off it starts recording at the right time but the picture is all messed up, for 14 seconds exactly! Then it hangs for a couple of minutes before I get "System Error S 2". I then have to unplug it to reset. This only happens when the player is off and the time kicks in from that state. When the machine is on and I set a time recording that starts immediately, or when I press record directly, it works fine.

It's acting like the hard drive isn't ready to record, although it tries. The unit isn't allowing enough time for the hard drive to get ready or something. I'm wondering if there's a way to make an adjustment somewhere that will fix this, like adjusting the power-up defaults on either the machine or the drive. The WD drive that can with it worked fine. Does anybody have suggestions?
post #4779 of 4792 Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't think anybody has reported that sort of issue with a upgraded drive yet. Maybe your drive draws too much power from the thing and it takes a bit to stabilize. The refurbed 250 I got from woot and used in my Polaroid, then my 3575 is still going fine and has no issues so far. You could always try the external case thing route and then the power draw wouldn't be a issue if that has anything to do with your problems.
post #4780 of 4792 Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcshaman View Post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some advice. I just installed a working seagate 400gb drive (ST3400832A) into my Philips 3575 and I've run into a really weird problem. When a timed recording starts from the machine powered off it starts recording at the right time but the picture is all messed up, for 14 seconds exactly! Then it hangs for a couple of minutes before I get "System Error S 2". I then have to unplug it to reset. This only happens when the player is off and the time kicks in from that state. When the machine is on and I set a time recording that starts immediately, or when I press record directly, it works fine.

It's acting like the hard drive isn't ready to record, although it tries. The unit isn't allowing enough time for the hard drive to get ready or something. I'm wondering if there's a way to make an adjustment somewhere that will fix this, like adjusting the power-up defaults on either the machine or the drive. The WD drive that can with it worked fine. Does anybody have suggestions?

Did you format the hard drive with the SKIP 079 utility?

Information concerning the SKIP 079 utility is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...stcount=39#079

Following that formatting make a brief hard drive test recording in order to become operational.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #4781 of 4792 Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcshaman View Post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some advice. I just installed a working seagate 400gb drive (ST3400832A) into my Philips 3575 and I've run into a really weird problem.

As Dartman suggested, it might be a power issue since that drive uses the highest seek power I've seen for any drive for the PhilMag machines, 12.40W, as listed here.

Also, since it's a PATA drive, maybe it has something to do with the jumper position for Master/Slave/Cable Select etc.?

In fact, the product sheet (pdf link on linked page) shows the startup 12V current is 2.8A, and I know these machines have a 2.0A fuse on the power supply PCB, so I'm not sure how that works??? The OEM Seagate is 2.0A startup.

In fact, ALL of the drives listed in the upgrade help file are 2.0A startup.

Personally, I wouldn't use a drive with that power-hog profile in my 3575 or 2160. YMMV.
post #4782 of 4792 Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Also, since it's a PATA drive, maybe it has something to do with the jumper position for Master/Slave/Cable Select etc.?

During my hard drive upgrade project for my Magnavox 2080 (of July 2007 manufacture) I found the original Western Digital hard drive set as Cable Select so that's how I set the new Seagate hard drive from your list of recommended hard drives.

post #4783 of 4792 Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yep, that's what I found with mine as well so that's how I set it. The drive I used was originally built for a earlier series of DVR type boxes and was just a bigger version of the Polaroids 80 gig that it originally had in it.
I didn't know that when I ordered it, it was just a great price at the time for the drive and I figured I'd buy a Polaroid soon and give it a try, if it didn't work out I had a extra data drive on hand.
post #4784 of 4792 Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

It's now been one year and one week since I upgraded the hard drive in my Magnavox 2080.

Here are this morning's statistics:

Hard Drive power on hours 1118

DVD WR 81:49
DVD RD 253:30
CD 0:00

This 2080 was probably a customer return. I purchased it as a "refurb" in December 2008. Since that time it has been used only as a clear QAM tuner and hard drive recorder, editing of hard drive recordings and high-speed dubbing to DVDs. I do not use it for direct-to-DVD recordings or real-time dubbing. It is not used as a DVD player.

post #4785 of 4792 Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

It's now been one year and one week since I upgraded the hard drive in my Magnavox 2080.

Here are this morning's statistics:

Hard Drive power on hours 1118

DVD WR 81:49
DVD RD 253:30
CD 0:00

Thanks! I updated your stats in the table that shows in-service usage data.

It's been awhile since people have updated their stats, so I hope others will follow your lead and do so now. New users welcome!

Here's the table.
post #4786 of 4792 Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 PM

A) Is everyone still reading this list? There hasn't been a post for months, but is that because there's nothing to say, or because you've all gone to another better list that I should be reading too? I hope someone will reply to clue me in on this.

B) I have the impression that there is new firmware available. I wanted to come prepared with urls and everything, but I've been busy and I'm disorganized too. But I'll tell you what I know. At the Philips website under support, for the Philips DVDR3574H and Philips DVDR3576H, iirc, there was new firmware written around August of 2008. That's after most of us bought our machines. But even though I was in the USA part of the website, I'm not sure these machines have been sold in the USA. IIRC, I googled and found a couple ads on ebay in the UK for them. But I haven't downloaded and read the manuals, and I don't know how much like the Philips DVDR3575H/37 they are.

But since the numbers are so similar, one less and one more, I'll bet they are basically the same and could accept each other's firmware. They might have ended in /37 too. I don't remember.

Does anyone know anything about all this?

Do you want me to provide more info, like urls?

Is anyone out there reading this list.

I downloaded both files which are zip files and they were the same length for both models Inside were two other files, one for CD update and one for USB update. (IIRC, there are advantages to each method). Both of these zip files were the same length from one model to another I haven't looked inside these, and I haven't made byte-by-byte comparisons of the contents, but I could if someone thought it worth my effort.)

There are several things I wish the unit would do. Now I have a set-top box too and it allows me to make 30.1 a preset but not 30.2, 30.3, 30.4 and 30.5. This would make surfing a lot easier if the new firmware works like the set top box. Maybe it's doesn't, but whatever changes were made are probably improvements. I didn't see any place where it listed the changes, like most software does. (Of course this is the first firmware I've paid attention to, and I don't remember about BIOSes)

BTW, I was surprised when I got this DVDR that it was not listed in the support part of the Philips site. It's still not but these other two are. Why do you think that is?
post #4787 of 4792 Old 05-14-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMikeM View Post

A) Is everyone still reading this list? There hasn't been a post for months, but is that because there's nothing to say, or because you've all gone to another better list that I should be reading too? I hope someone will reply to clue me in on this.

Click #1 in my sig. for the latest and best thread for the Philips and Mag DVDRs.

Quote:

B) I have the impression that there is new firmware available. I wanted to come prepared with urls and everything, but I've been busy and I'm disorganized too. But I'll tell you what I know. At the Philips website under support, for the Philips DVDR3574H and Philips DVDR3576H, iirc, there was new firmware written around August of 2008. That's after most of us bought our machines. But even though I was in the USA part of the website, I'm not sure these machines have been sold in the USA. IIRC, I googled and found a couple ads on ebay in the UK for them. But I haven't downloaded and read the manuals, and I don't know how much like the Philips DVDR3575H/37 they are.

But since the numbers are so similar, one less and one more, I'll bet they are basically the same and could accept each other's firmware. They might have ended in /37 too. I don't remember.

In the Sellers and Support section of the list you'll see at the link in my sig. there are links to support items. The only units we have in the US/Canada are the ones ending in "/37"... at least those are the NTSC/.ATSC/QAM ones and designate North American units.

The FW listed for the 3575 at the link in my sig. is for yoru 3575 but it only makes some very minor change for reading some discs. I and others have installed that FW and noticed no difference in any op.

Quote:

There are several things I wish the unit would do. Now I have a set-top box too and it allows me to make 30.1 a preset but not 30.2, 30.3, 30.4 and 30.5. This would make surfing a lot easier if the new firmware works like the set top box. Maybe it's doesn't, but whatever changes were made are probably improvements. I didn't see any place where it listed the changes, like most software does. (Of course this is the first firmware I've paid attention to, and I don't remember about BIOSes)

The tuners in these DVDRs are "hybrid" analog/digital tuners that have a switch to go from analog to digital, but your STB and all HDTVs have an integrated tuner that tunes all numbered channels in sequence w/no switch.

Our hybrid tuners are "all-or-nothing" as far as digital channels... if you Add or Delete any subchannel in a major channel group, you Add or Delete ALL the subchannels in that group.

Go to that new thread for lots more info and help.
post #4788 of 4792 Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you want me to provide more info, like urls?

Is anyone out there reading this list.

BTW, I was surprised when I got this DVDR that it was not listed in the support part of the Philips site. It's still not but these other two are. Why do you think that is?

No posts for "months" and "another better list," you're kidding, right? The discussions remain active in the sticky thread and in a number of other threads.

With just a little browsing/reading one may find clarity and avoid disinformation.

European Philips models, even those with similar sounding model names, are very different products with different hardware (e.g. SCART) and software (e.g. ATLAS). European Philips service manuals demonstrate how different those products are from our /37 versions. As to the use of firmware for non-/37 versions, that's a quick way to turn a /37 into a "brick." Are you feeling lucky?

Here's a recent example where those same model variations have lead to confusion, but the appropriate resource material restored order:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1248080

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1249202

post #4789 of 4792 Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Uno

I just played on my Philips 3576H two finalized DVDs recorded by my defunct Polaroid DVD recorder with hard drive. In both cases, I began playing a movie on the DVD when it soon froze. When I looked at the surfaces of the two DVDs, they now have several circles on them that aren't on finalized DVDs that work normally. I am now afraid to play on the Philips DVDs recorded on my Polaroid & Sansui machines. I think the Philips still plays its own recordings okay, but I don't want to ruin a recording by testing. I guess I'll have to make a second copy of the same movies to test. My Philips is 2+ years old, & I've recorded between 200 & 300 DVDs on it. I never before had a problem with the Philips playing DVDs recorded on my previous machines.
post #4790 of 4792 Old 08-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post

... I am now afraid to play on the Philips DVDs recorded on my Polaroid & Sansui machines. I think the Philips still plays its own recordings okay, but I don't want to ruin a recording by testing. ...

Firstly, why not record something not important, to test if the Philips creates the same problem again. Check the surface for defects carefully before and after playing.

Secondly, you may be able to replace the DVD recorder drive with a new drive as described here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...=39#DVDReplace
post #4791 of 4792 Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Uno

Thanks, I'll try a test recording. However, I can't record something on the Polaroid, since I no longer have it--just 100+ DVDs recorded on it. I gave my Polaroid away when it began ruining DVDs instead of recording onto them. The HD still recorded & the DVD drive still played DVDs.
post #4792 of 4792 Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Click here for info or help with the Philips DVDR3575H/37 or 3576 (or their virtually identical follow-on units, the Magnavox 2160, 513 and others).

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page