Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to get the HDMI output upconverted to 1080P with this unit? The specs say it can output to 720P, 1080I and 1080P but I can't find any options for selecting those. All I can get is 480P and I can't find anything in the manual that tells how to alter the output resolution.
Thanks,
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by *hoby* View Post

Does anyone know how to get the HDMI output upconverted to 1080P with this unit? The specs say it can output to 720P, 1080I and 1080P but I can't find any options for selecting those. All I can get is 480P and I can't find anything in the manual that tells how to alter the output resolution.
Thanks,
Charles

Use the "HDMI" button, top left, 2nd button down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #723 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

...Anyone use the ATSC tuner in this unit in a high multipath area? Results?

When you say multipath, do you mean weak reception area or something else?
post #724 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Charles

Are you looking at the HDMI options in Settings?
post #725 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Are you looking at the HDMI options in Settings?

They're not there, just a HDMI button, as posted above (only available with HDMI cable and multi-scan TV connected, appears on front panel display, unsupported res. are skipped).

|
|
|
post #726 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Use the "HDMI" button, top left, 2nd button down.

I had pressed that button once or twice but, since it doesn't display anything except HDMI, I didn't realize it did anything. Odd that you need to verify via the TV to know what you are setting it to - unless I'm missing something else. Anyway, Thanks again.
post #727 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I had pressed that button once or twice but, since it doesn't display anything except HDMI, I didn't realize it did anything. Odd that you need to verify via the TV to know what you are setting it to - unless I'm missing something else. Anyway, Thanks again.

Are you saying you don't see any changing res. on the front display of the 3575? Only those your TV supports will show up and be selectable.

(They prob. have the res. show up on the 3575 front panel display cause, once set up with a TV, they don't expect you to change it often, if at all?)

|
|
|
post #728 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Are you saying you don't see any changing res. on the front display of the 3575? Only those your TV supports will show up and be selectable.

(They prob. have the res. show up on the 3575 front panel display cause, once set up with a TV, they don't expect you to change it often, if at all?)

Nothing on the unit itself, but I found that if I pressed INFO twice on the remote (I had only been doing it once) it does show the output resolution. I can then hit the HDMI button to progress through the various resolutions.
post #729 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

When the Pio 640 first started being used, many people thought the Auto-Start Recording was a great thing...until they discovered their STBs always output a signal even when off. Not sure anyone found an STB that didn't.

I couldn't use it either on my basic cable w/no STB since I always have a signal as well...as soon as I activated Auto-Start, it started recording.

That's true of my Motorola sat receiver as well, which is a design flaw in those receivers, no question However this problem is not unsolvable. The Pioneer considers the video signal to have started when it gets a sync signal, which would be sensible except for the STB design flaw. Instead it should be looking for any non-blank image, which would also be easy enough for modern digital electronics. You'd have to have a timeout at the end of course, say 15 seconds, since you wouldn't want it to stop recording on the fade-to-black between program segments and commercials. In fact the latest Pioneers do have a fade-to-black detector which attempts to insert automatic chapter marks, although apparently it's too sensitive.

And BTW, the Philips 3575 does not detect the "no video signal" condition at all. It will happily record a blank image from a disconnected video input as long as you let it. Even my last cheap DVDR was smart enough to pause recording when the video signal stopped, so that's a bit of a deficiency in this Philips model.
post #730 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Even on the moon you could receive digital OTA with a big enough dish.

But let's be reasonable. The test for most people is whether they could receive digital OTA with a set-top antenna as opposed to a roof-top antenna. In my area I can receive nothing with a set-top antenna, but up to 4 stations are in range with a roof-top antenna. I have satellite, so I'm not going to put up a roof-top antenna. Almost every home in this entire suburb is on sat or cable - I've never noticed a single roof-top antenna - so practically speaking there is no digital OTA available here.

My "roof top" antenna is in the attic, accesable through a bedroom door. Works great and makes fine adjustments convenient.
post #731 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

And BTW, the Philips 3575 does not detect the "no video signal" condition at all. It will happily record a blank image from a disconnected video input as long as you let it. Even my last cheap DVDR was smart enough to pause recording when the video signal stopped, so that's a bit of a deficiency in this Philips model.

Deficiency??? Actually, it's a "bonus feature" of the 3575. There are some users of other 2007 recorders who are complaining that their units STOP TIMER RECORDING if the signal drops out, even for a second or so!

We are truly blessed!

|
|
|
post #732 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, I'd rather get a tiny bit of black screen rather then nothing once the signal drops.
I did the firmware update, what a HUGE amount of steps just to update. Most units will just detect that there is a update disk in and ask if you want to update and go from there. It did loose all programming and timer settings, I should have written down what I had setup. It of course doesn't fix the QAM memory issues, in fact so far it's worse now, forgets all channels after I do anything lately.
The extra info hidden away in the update/designer menus is a nice touch, and can be used to verify warranty claims I'd bet
I haven't really done any burns with it since the update but I'll have to scan one when I do and see if it got better, hopefully it can burn faster then 32 minutes in HS mode but that's still faster then my panny e80h does HS in.
I did notice yesterday that the philips support site couldn't find the unit when I went to see if they had added another update for the QAM issues. Lets hope it's not signs of things to come, the Canadian site still had the model listed in support and had the minor update posted...
post #733 of 4792 Old 06-23-2007, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Deficiency??? Actually, it's a "bonus feature" of the 3575. There are some users of other 2007 recorders who are complaining that their units STOP TIMER RECORDING if the signal drops out, even for a second or so!
We are truly blessed!

I said my last DVDR *paused* when the video signal stopped, and it resumed automatically when the video signal resumed. And I never saw it pause accidentally on a momentary glitch.
post #734 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 07:33 AM
mxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I did notice yesterday that the philips support site couldn't find the unit when I went to see if they had added another update for the QAM issues. Lets hope it's not signs of things to come, the Canadian site still had the model listed in support and had the minor update posted...

It's on the US site this morning. I searched the support site for dvdr3575h and it brings up the same info for both the /37 and /37B models. Still just the minor update, no QAM update.
post #735 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxb View Post

It's on the US site this morning. I searched the support site for dvdr3575h and it brings up the same info for both the /37 and /37B models. Still just the minor update, no QAM update.

We think the "B" in "/37B" just stands for Black (as apposed to Silver).
If this is the case, they would, of course use the same updates.
post #736 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 09:06 AM

Does anyone know if there is a Slingbox remote for controlling Philips 3575H/37?
post #737 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxb View Post

Yeah, I checked yesterday and it was back as well, that's a good thing Seems the way Walmart works somethings for sale then it can be gone if it doesn't move or they just feel like it.
I hope the QAM issue is fixed soon, my tuner looses the channels almost every time I do something else now since the update.
Another thing that might be affected by the way this model is tied together by it's firmware is the eventual replacement of the burner with another different one. I don't remember if anyone here has actually tried a bigger Hard drive yet as well, don't know if that is also hard wired into firmware... But it doesn't appear that at least in setup there is a way to format a drive.
post #738 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

... But it doesn't appear that at least in setup there is a way to format a drive.

If there is, I haven't found it either. That's one of the features
I really like about my now semi-retired Lite-On HD-A760GX.
It even has a Defrag feature for it's 250GB HDD.
All things considered though, I love the DVDR3575H/37 warts and all.
post #739 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, me too. I can even live with a TINY 160 gig drive I have all my main QAM channels memorized and can add them all back in in a minute or there abouts and I use the major real channel for as many of my timer recordings as I can becuase they always work even if it has forgotten them again
post #740 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Got the Phillips 3575 DVDR HDD and gave it a spin. Overall pretty disappointing. I found the tuner no better than the analog tuner I have in my Panasonic E80 DVDR HDD. The recordings made from my Dish HD Sat through the line in on the Panasonic bested the Phillips. So back to Wally World for the Phillips. Will wait until a quality company comes up with something better and hopefully with a HD psss through to the TV for watching live. Would also be nice to have a feature that allows for HD recording like the PVR sats do.

The pending USB 2.0 support by Dish for an external hard drive will be the resolution for me. That should be here by years end.

For the occasional times I need to dupe a movie, home movie etc, the Panasonic does a fantastic job with no hiccups over the past two years.

By the way I also tried the Poloroid 160 HD model and it is a miserable piece of equipment. Don't know why a company like Poloroid woudl put their name on tha piece of junk from China.
post #741 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcewin View Post

...Will wait until a quality company comes up with something better and hopefully with a HD psss through to the TV for watching live. Would also be nice to have a feature that allows for HD recording like the PVR sats do...

What you need to do is get a HD recorder.
post #742 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 12:05 PM

Responding to several earlier posts

biker19 . . . I'm OTA only, using an indoor antenna, and only about 5 miles from antenna towers. I have multipath problems due to a lot of trees surrounding my home. Multipath is worse if it's rainy/windy. So far I'm very pleased with the Philip's performance. Reception is better than the ATSC version of the Lg, Samsung and Panasonic recorders. Also, see my comment to "amesdp" below.

amesdp . . . I agree 100% with wabjxo on the signal loss issue. As noted above, I experience multipath in my area resulting in a temporary signal loss (the signal loss is often only for a few seconds). The ATSC version of the Panasonic I tested (and returned) would stop the recording when the signal loss occurred. Due to this recording off / recording on process, the "gap" in the recording was of much longer duration than the actual signal loss. I much prefer the Philips approach of recording right through the signal loss since it results in a shorter duration loss in the program I'm attempting to record.

Chuck44 . . . Multipath issues can cause a temporary complete loss of signal. What happens is that the ATSC tuner receives not only the main signal from the broadcast antenna, but also additional echos of the main signal that are reflected from other objects (trees, buildings, etc.). The tuner cannot "decide" which of the various signals it's receiving is the correct one and basically cuts off all signals and "re-boots" itself. This may not be the most technical description of what occurs, but is how I can best understand the phenomena. By the way, multipath is NOT due to a weak signal. I get a very strong signal, but still experience multipath.
post #743 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomel View Post

...Chuck44 . . . Multipath issues can cause a temporary complete loss of signal. What happens is that the ATSC tuner receives not only the main signal from the broadcast antenna, but also additional echos of the main signal that are reflected from other objects (trees, buildings, etc.). The tuner cannot "decide" which of the various signals it's receiving is the correct one and basically cuts off all signals and "re-boots" itself. This may not be the most technical description of what occurs, but is how I can best understand the phenomena. By the way, multipath is NOT due to a weak signal. I get a very strong signal, but still experience multipath.

That explanation will do until a better one comes along.
post #744 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcewin View Post

Got the Phillips 3575 DVDR HDD and gave it a spin. Overall pretty disappointing. I found the tuner no better than the analog tuner I have in my Panasonic E80 DVDR HDD. The recordings made from my Dish HD Sat through the line in on the Panasonic bested the Phillips. So back to Wally World for the Phillips. Will wait until a quality company comes up with something better and hopefully with a HD psss through to the TV for watching live. Would also be nice to have a feature that allows for HD recording like the PVR sats do.

The pending USB 2.0 support by Dish for an external hard drive will be the resolution for me. That should be here by years end.

For the occasional times I need to dupe a movie, home movie etc, the Panasonic does a fantastic job with no hiccups over the past two years.

By the way I also tried the Poloroid 160 HD model and it is a miserable piece of equipment. Don't know why a company like Poloroid woudl put their name on tha piece of junk from China.

Sounds like you are comparing apples and oranges if you are comparing digital sat to analog cable/OTH as a recording source. In general digital sat TV gives a better quality input signal for recording than OTH or cable analog TV, even though they are both standard def. The Philips may be able to do just as well with OTH digital, but I haven't tested that.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an HD recorder. You aren't going to get any video recorder to record HD any time soon in the USA other than closed proprietary PVRs, for legal rather than technical reasons. If you use Dish, get their PVR, or a hard drive add-on to their tuner.

As for "a company like Polaroid", they sold that brand name to Chinese no-name suppliers years ago. Don't rely on any familiar old brand names that disappear for a few years, then suddenly resurface supplying cheap electronics gear. Polaroid is one of many.
post #745 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

It only allows a max. 3-digit major and 2-digit minor, like "106.33."

Does that mean the unit will not scan & find a channel with 3 + 3 digits? Or just that you cannot manually enter these directly via the remote?
post #746 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Does that mean the unit will not scan & find a channel with 3 + 3 digits? Or just that you cannot manually enter these directly via the remote?

Can't enter 3-digit minor directly. I don't have any, so can't see if channel up/dwn button will catch them.

|
|
|
post #747 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... Don't hold your breath waiting for an HD recorder. You aren't going to get any video recorder to record HD any time soon in the USA other than closed proprietary PVRs, for legal rather than technical reasons...

I agree with amesdp on this one. These companies do not have much incentive to improve their offerings (Wally World seems to be the only retailer carrying HDD DVRs). If you read the French website of RCA parent Thomson, they are celebrating selling their one millionth HD DVR to Direct TV, who in turn wants to rent them to us for a monthly fee. Why would they build a unit that might piss off their one million units customer? If you want to try out your French on this Press release:

http://www.thomson.net/FR/Home/Press...1-1e4f5d26a2fa

Just for fun, I think Thomson recently sold the rights to the RCA brand to Audiovox of the good ol' U.S. of A. Right now though, the Philips seems to have a lot of things done right for $298

In the UK, Thomson offer this product:

http://www.qed-uk.com/q?vp=5&bg=114&...&bi=0&ird=1405

Which includes "Universal (6-in-1) remote control controls TV, DVD, VCR, SAT, HiFi, AUX of most brands". And also, this product:

http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/fre...SON+DTI6300-16

Including "A twin tuner enables you to record one programme whilst watching another" ... for under $300 (prices quoted on European websites generally include sales tax).

Somehow the cable and satellite companies, along with Tivo, seem to have everything all tied up and locked up here ...
post #748 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

What you need to do is get a HD recorder.

Am not aware of any HD recorders other than what is in the many PVR's furnished or sold by cable and sat providers. I know about the D VHS but I do not see that as a viable solution for archiving HD recordings.

What HD recorders are you talking about? I may want to consider one.

Thanks
post #749 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like you are comparing apples and oranges if you are comparing digital sat to analog cable/OTH as a recording source. In general digital sat TV gives a better quality input signal for recording than OTH or cable analog TV, even though they are both standard def. The Philips may be able to do just as well with OTH digital, but I haven't tested that.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an HD recorder. You aren't going to get any video recorder to record HD any time soon in the USA other than closed proprietary PVRs, for legal rather than technical reasons. If you use Dish, get their PVR, or a hard drive add-on to their tuner.

As for "a company like Polaroid", they sold that brand name to Chinese no-name suppliers years ago. Don't rely on any familiar old brand names that disappear for a few years, then suddenly resurface supplying cheap electronics gear. Polaroid is one of many.

Clarification: The Panasonic made better recordings no matter what the source: analog OTA or Sat Digital from my Dish receiver. Compared the Phillips under same conditions so there was not an apple and oranges comparison. I do have the Dish VIP 622 PVR that I record all my programs for later viewing. Just looking for a better way to archive the ones I would like to keep. At the moment the Panasonic does a better job than the Phillips in this regard.
post #750 of 4792 Old 06-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Polaroid is no longer a company. All the current Polaroid company owns is the name Polaroid. Polaroid originally went under at the beginning of this decade and another company bought out the rights to Polaroid and sold off the equipment manufacturing division to Chinese manufacturing companies. Just because it's a Polaroid no longer means your getting a "Quality" product. Most of what Wal-mart sells from them is produced by Funai who are the makers of Symphonic, Sylvania, Durabrand, ILO, Emerson, etc.

Someone stated that the Philips is also produced by Funai, but I haven't seen any evidence to prove this to be true. If the Philips unit is indeed produced by Funai, then Funai must be composed of higher end manufacturing products and low end manufacturing products. I must say that the Philips in my definition is a pretty high quality product from all my experiences with my unit.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page