Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by opieandy View Post

I've had the unit 25 days. Today, the HDD is acting up. One title does not go into preview when it is selected, and will not play from the beginning. I was able to get it to play when I skipped to chapter 3 (15 minutes into the title). However, it's just frozen up at the start. Won't play, won't edit. Can't do anything with it in edit mode. Won't fast forward or skip forward from 0:00. The title was working fine yesterday.

Also, the HDD is slow to 'boot up' tonight, taking a much longer than usual for the first frame of each title to display. The title button is also slow to respond at times. Seems like the HDD is about to crash.

Guess that's why Philips has the long disclaimer about the HDD in the manual. However, that long disclaimer doesn't give you much confidence in the HDD. I am trying to quickly burn these to DVD (this title is 2 days old). Have others had this issue?

Chris

How full is your HDD? It may be getting fragmented if it's near capacity, particularly if you've done a lot of editing (or it may be related to title divide and file corruption). (Wish the unit had a defrag function, like some other brands do.) You might try cleaning up the HDD of some titles if so.

N.B. You may notice that one of the titles in the thumbnail screen doesn't preview - that one's corrupted and causing the slow frame loading, and you'll probably have to end up deleting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM

Bummer!

I got a call from Philips today saying that due to supply issues, they wouldn't be able to ship my replacement unit until Mid-October.

Oh well....
Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've had the unit 25 days. Today, the HDD is acting up. One title does not go into preview when it is selected, and will not play from the beginning. I was able to get it to play when I skipped to chapter 3 (15 minutes into the title). However, it's just frozen up at the start. Won't play, won't edit. Can't do anything with it in edit mode. Won't fast forward or skip forward from 0:00. The title was working fine yesterday.

Also, the HDD is slow to 'boot up' tonight, taking a much longer than usual for the first frame of each title to display. The title button is also slow to respond at times. Seems like the HDD is about to crash.

Guess that's why Philips has the long disclaimer about the HDD in the manual. However, that long disclaimer doesn't give you much confidence in the HDD. I am trying to quickly burn these to DVD (this title is 2 days old). Have others had this issue?

Chris

The only time I ever had any problems anything like that was when I did multiple title splits on a title and then tried to do scene deletes on the split files. For me, the result was a mess. Scene delete would not work properly, until I deleted all of the title pieces, and another title I had attempted to do scene deletes on while I had those pieces on the HDD.

This occurred when I was trying to test for interaction between title split and scene delete, based on a problem reported by another user.

It is my opinion that there is a bug in title split, and it leaves the files in a state where scene delete may not work correctly, and may cause other problems. I, and others, have warned against using title split followed by scene delete.

Your posts seem to indicate that you routinely mix title split and scene delete. Based on my experience, you you may have to get all the pieces of such titles off of the hard drive before things will become stable.

I now use scene delete exclusively, and the results are completely stable. I would only use title split if I had two programs in a title that I wanted to separate. I would use title split one time on the title, after all of the scene delete work had been done first. I would then immediately dub the two pieces onto a DVD or DVDs and then delete the pieces from HDD.

The only issue I observe is that a few frames from the deleted scene sometimes show up on the DVD version of the title, but I am not creating profession DVDs, so I can live with that. I suspect that I could use the edit features on the DVD to hide them, if I really cared, but I am not about to sit and watch my archive DVDs just to look for such frames.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM

For the last 2 nights the unit failed to turn itself off after a timer recording.Any thoughts?thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtech View Post

For the last 2 nights the unit failed to turn itself off after a timer recording.Any thoughts?thanks

Is it possible that anyone or anything (cat,dog) touched the remote at any time during the recording process. If it thinks someone might be watching, it will not turn the unit off.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

Is it possible that anyone or anything (cat,dog) touched the remote at any time during the recording process. If it thinks someone might be watching, it will not turn the unit off.

It's possible I hit the remote while fumbling around for other remotes.I'll be careful tonight and see what happens.Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtech View Post

It's possible I hit the remote while fumbling around for other remotes.I'll be careful tonight and see what happens.Thanks

Don't forget, it is normal behavior for there to be
a one minute delay between the end of a timed
recording and the machine shutting down.
So if you're watching it, it looks like it's not shutting
off, but is actually just waiting one minute before
it does.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex king View Post

How full is your HDD? It may be getting fragmented if it's near capacity, particularly if you've done a lot of editing (or it may be related to title divide and file corruption). (Wish the unit had a defrag function, like some other brands do.) You might try cleaning up the HDD of some titles if so.

N.B. You may notice that one of the titles in the thumbnail screen doesn't preview - that one's corrupted and causing the slow frame loading, and you'll probably have to end up deleting it.

It did turn out to be only one title causing the problem. The first few seconds were bad (frozen), and I was able to delete that segment and salvage the remainder. After I deleted that segment, everything worked fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

The only time I ever had any problems anything like that was when I did multiple title splits on a title and then tried to do scene deletes on the split files. For me, the result was a mess. Scene delete would not work properly, until I deleted all of the title pieces, and another title I had attempted to do scene deletes on while I had those pieces on the HDD.

This occurred when I was trying to test for interaction between title split and scene delete, based on a problem reported by another user.

It is my opinion that there is a bug in title split, and it leaves the files in a state where scene delete may not work correctly, and may cause other problems. I, and others, have warned against using title split followed by scene delete.

Your posts seem to indicate that you routinely mix title split and scene delete. Based on my experience, you you may have to get all the pieces of such titles off of the hard drive before things will become stable.

I now use scene delete exclusively, and the results are completely stable. I would only use title split if I had two programs in a title that I wanted to separate. I would use title split one time on the title, after all of the scene delete work had been done first. I would then immediately dub the two pieces onto a DVD or DVDs and then delete the pieces from HDD.

The only issue I observe is that a few frames from the deleted scene sometimes show up on the DVD version of the title, but I am not creating profession DVDs, so I can live with that. I suspect that I could use the edit features on the DVD to hide them, if I really cared, but I am not about to sit and watch my archive DVDs just to look for such frames.

Thanks, kenavs. In the particular case where a title had a frozen part at the beginning, it was a new recording, so not the result of a title split.

I have to use title split because football games run 3+ hours, so I have to burn them to 2 DVDs in SP mode.

I have now focused on doing all scene deletes before title split, which I thought I was doing before, but later realized I wasn't. I usually have to delete part of the beginning and end, and divide it in the middle. It is a pain in edit mode to skip all the way to the end of the 3+ hour title to delete the end, then skip back to the middle to divide it, but with Philips' buggy and nonuser-friendly editing features, I suppose that is what needs to be done.

Chris
Old 09-27-2007, 04:56 PM

Can someone point me to a thread/forum where I can get some advice on making personal copies of my own DVDs? I have tried to use DVD Shrink, but it freezes up very early in the process. I see the pervasive disclaimer that "NOTE...We do not allow the chat on copying of software". I am not trying to do anything illegal here, just make backup copies of my DVDs. If that can't be discussed on this forum, that's tragic, since there are so many helpful people here.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Try DVD Decrypter in ISO mode. This will image a copy of the disc to your computer HDD. Then again use DVD Decrypter to burn the image (ISO file) to a DVD disc. It is a free program. It should work fine. DVD Shrink can sometimes have problems with +VR discs which may be the issue in your case.

Here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Decrypter
Old 09-27-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks very much, nextoo. I'll give that a try.

I've re-run DVD Shrink several times (I'm using a Maxell 8x -R), and now it's finally working...but only 70% to the finish line, so we'll see.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 09-27-2007, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You may be better off just making an image of the dvd as an ISO file with DVD Decrypter versus using DVD Shrink. It's fast and easy and doesn't change anything from the disc which was originally burned by the Philips.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 PM

i just bought a 3575h philips dvr and can't record a channel w/o being on it al the time even if i setup for a timed recording. is there anyway to record one thing and watch something else with this unit. if someone could answer asap one of my shows is about to come on. thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

You may be better off just making an image of the dvd as an ISO file with DVD Decrypter versus using DVD Shrink. It's fast and easy and doesn't change anything from the disc which was originally burned by the Philips.

I think I'm beginning to see the light, nextoo. Here's what I've surmised so far.

DVD Shrink = 3-step process:
1. Rip files to PC (as .vob files)
2. Convert .vob files to .iso files (with program such as ImgTool)
3. Burn .iso files to DVD (with program such as ImgBurn)

It sounds like DVD Decrypter is a 2-step process (rip and burn), is that right?

That would be much better. Each additional step is more time and more chance of me making a mistake.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrbob View Post

i just bought a 3575h philips dvr and can't record a channel w/o being on it al the time even if i setup for a timed recording. is there anyway to record one thing and watch something else with this unit. if someone could answer asap one of my shows is about to come on. thanks

There is only one tuner in the unit so if it being used to record a program, that is the only channel that can be watched through the unit. You need to use the tuner in your TV if you want to watch a different channel.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:

I think I'm beginning to see the light, nextoo. Here's what I've surmised so far.

DVD Shrink = 3-step process:
1. Rip files to PC (as .vob files)
2. Convert .vob files to .iso files (with program such as ImgTool)
3. Burn .iso files to DVD (with program such as ImgBurn)

It sounds like DVD Decrypter is a 2-step process (rip and burn), is that right?

That would be much better. Each additional step is more time and more chance of me making a mistake.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, I'm quoting myself. This is ridiculously hard. Man, technology has consumed way more of my life than I'd like, certainly disproportionate to the enjoyment I've gotten out of it.

DVD Decrypter won't work. I/O errors. Joy.

ImgTool created a file that is 2x as large as the files it started with, so it won't fit on a DVD. Hallelujah.

Meanwhile, this activity and additional programs are dragging my PC performance down, causing freezes and reboots.

Really, truly, the answer is probably Beta or VHS.

Chris
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Strange.

I would call on those that have successfully imported a Philips 3575 burned DVD to their PC. It can't be that tough and there should be a simple solution. Sometimes PC hardware can get in the way.

I am at a loss because I do not currently own the 3575.

Wish I could help but this seems to be more of something that wabjxo can deal with.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Strange.

I would call on those that have successfully imported a Philips 3575 burned DVD to their PC. It can't be that tough and there should be a simple solution. Sometimes PC hardware can get in the way.

I am at a loss because I do not currently own the 3575.

Wish I could help but this seems to be more of something that wabjxo can deal with.

Well, someone on another forum said I could skip step 2 and use ImgBurn to 'build' the file on a DVD. It created a 3.8 GB file, and I was ready to burn...until I discovered my "DVD-ROM" tray with the "ReWritable" logo was not a DVD burner. Why don't they just label the trays clearly instead of having small, cryptic logos? So now I have to buy a DVD burner.

The journey continues...

Chris
Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Regarding copying DVDs from the 3575:

I normally record on the HDD first, edit there, then make a high-speed dub to a DVD+R. If I want two copies, I make two. If I want to copy the DVD later, after the original recording is gone from the HDD, I use Nero on my PC.

If I want to edit on my PC instead of on the 3575, I dub to DVD+RW and use TMPGEnc DVD Author on the PC. It's easy to use and reliable.

If I want to convert one of the tracks from the DVD+RW to an XVid AVI, I usually use AutoGK.

All of this works reasonably well most of the time. Every once in a while it doesn't work properly for no apparent reason. In that case I just try different combinations of other programs until I find a way. That's the world of digital video.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrbob View Post

Too late for your show, but...

If the 3575 can receive some unscrambled channels on its own from the sat. feed, then you can put the 3575 1st in line for the incoming coax. With an output to the TV, you'll be able to watch or record one channel on the 3575.

Since the coax in/out of the 3575 is a direct pass-thru, continuing the coax from the 3575 to the DirecTV STB will allow the STB to see all the channels you get as if the 3575 wasn't there. Connect a line output from the STB to a different line input on the TV. So now you can watch something thru the STB and record something on the 3575 thru its tuner.

To record channels only the STB receives (and the 3575 can't receive or descramble), you can run a line output from the STB to the rear input on the 3575 (E1) and record that way.

If the 3575 can't receive ANY channels on its own, you won't need any coax connection to the 3575 (tuner won't show any channels), but you can still record something from the STB via the line in/out described above. This way, the STB has to be on whatever channel you want to record and you can't watch anything else...only the STB tuner works.

Maybe this gives you some ideas?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Hi, can anyone confirm if this unit can be made region free via a hack?
Thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Interesting test!

The only thing I'm "disappointed" in a little with the 3575 is its long high-speed dub time compared to my Pio 640's 10-12 minutes (finalized).

I did a test with a single 1:59:53 title on three different disc types and write speeds. Results below (in minutes):

Genuine TDK DVD-R . . 1-16X . . . . .34 write + 3.0 finalize = 37 total
Phony Sony DVD+R . . .1-16X . . . 33.5 write + 1.5 finalize = 35 total
Genuine TDK DVD-RW . 1-2X . . . . . 25 write + 1.5 finalize = 28 total

The 3575 likes slower-speed discs!?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyJCT View Post

Bummer!

I got a call from Philips today saying that due to supply issues, they wouldn't be able to ship my replacement unit until Mid-October.

Oh well....

I ordered a unit on Wednesday from Phillips Online and it was shipped today from oak grove, Oh. Strange they they tell you they are out of stock...
Old 09-28-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Interesting test!

The only thing I'm "disappointed" in a little with the 3575 is its long high-speed dub time compared to my Pio 640's 10-12 minutes (finalized).

I did a test with a single 1:59:53 title on three different disc types and write speeds. Results below (in minutes):

Genuine TDK DVD-R . . 1-16X . . . . .34 write + 3.0 finalize = 37 total
Phony Sony DVD+R . . .1-16X . . . 33.5 write + 1.5 finalize = 35 total
Genuine TDK DVD-RW . 1-2X . . . . . 25 write + 1.5 finalize = 28 total

The 3575 likes slower-speed discs!?

My times so far on a 1:59+ dub to DVD+RW has been between 20-21 minutes. All discs are 1-4x and are Memorex and Verbatims. That's total time including the writing to the discs. Since they are +RW, no finalizing required. Also, all RW dubs have played in my Toshiba DVD (just a) player in my bedroom.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

My times so far on a 1:59+ dub to DVD+RW has been between 20-21 minutes. All discs are 1-4x and are Memorex and Verbatims. That's total time including the writing to the discs. Since they are +RW, no finalizing required. Also, all RW dubs have played in my Toshiba DVD (just a) player in my bedroom.

If we assume the finalize time on your +RW 1-4X discs would be 1.5 minutes (if we wanted to finalize), like on two of my disc types, that's 21.5-22.5 minutes total for a 1-4X disc. Beginning to look like maybe the 3575 likes 4X or 8X best???

We need some people to report total time for a single 2-hour title on some 8X -R and +R discs for comparison.

P.S. I forgot to mention the 3575 I tested on is my latest Aug 2007 unit with the latest FW (the version online now).

Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 PM

I am unable to delete minor digital channels (ie 4.2, 4.3) without deleting the entire major channel (ie 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3).

is this the way it is supposed to be or am i missing something?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkav View Post

I am unable to delete minor digital channels (ie 4.2, 4.3) without deleting the entire major channel (ie 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3).

is this the way it is supposed to be or am i missing something?

That's the way the digital channels work ON THE 3575.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

That's the way the digital channels work.

While many tuners work like this, some others will let you exclude individual subchannels (at least some HDTV STBs and HDTVs).

I have one of each in my HDTVs with built-in ATSC/QAM tuners.

Another difference is one will display all PSIP future program guide (as much as the station is transmitting) program listings while the other only shows information for the current program. This works when tuning OTA ATSC channels. Somehow, Comcast here reduces the PSIP program guide and even eliminates it on some channels. There is no apparent consistency to how they alter the program guide data.

One of my older HD STBs (OTA/ATSC but no QAM) also shows all program guide data made available by the station.

Hopefully over time these tuners will be more alike in features and functions. They are quite different today, even between current-model digital TVs.

Dave
Old 09-29-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Can someone point me to a thread/forum where I can get some advice on making personal copies of my own DVDs? I have tried to use DVD Shrink, but it freezes up very early in the process. I see the pervasive disclaimer that "NOTE...We do not allow the chat on copying of software". I am not trying to do anything illegal here, just make backup copies of my DVDs. If that can't be discussed on this forum, that's tragic, since there are so many helpful people here.

Thanks,

Chris

Do you have AnyDVD? I am quite sure that you need to have AnyDVD running in the background in order to use DVD Shrink effectively. I have copied probably 200 movies to DVD+r slugs with few problems save two:

1) Sony has some program they use on their DVD's which renders my burner useless until I shut down, unplug the burner and then restart. There is a supposed work-around, but I haven't yet found one that works.

2) Some of the originals are just too banged up or some such, and DVD Shrink rejects them.

DVD Shrink typically takes about 18-22 minutes to analyze and create files to your hard drive, and then about 15-20 minutes to burn (depends on your burner, cpu, etc.). I haven't noticed any quality problems with the copies, and they play as transparently as the original, in my experience.

Lots of info on DVD Shrink here: http://www.dvdshrink.info/index.php

==========================================================

I am totally new to DVDR's, so just kicking around in here trying to decide which unit to invest in. It's confusing even when I follow the thread on one model.

Could on of you old-timers give me a list of the most recommended models on this forum? Want one that works with all types of media (OR works VERY well with a specific medium), does not necessarily have to have a hard drive (but I would consider a HDD if I thought it would be reliable), does not require geek help to understand, and will be reliable and non-obsolete before its life-cycle is complete. Perhaps that's a tall order...

TIA

BB