Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I do not have one of these yet since my locat Wal-Mart does not have them in yet. I am looking for one to replace my RCA 8030N. When i get one I have a setup question that is probably obvious, but Im not sure. I have a digital cable box that the coax runs to my dvd recorder, and then to the TV to provide my main cable. I want to use a indoor antenna for the OTA channels when i pick the Philips DVD recoder up. How will I hook that up. I do have an outdoor antenna that I use for OTA on my HD TV, but the TV has the separate coax input for the digital stations. As far as I can tell looking through the manual the Philips only has 1 that takes care of both. My TV that the Philips will be going on is not a HD TV yet, hopefully soon, but I wanted to take advantage of the nicer SD picture and gain the sound advantage of the digital channels. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 05:05 AM

Regarding program names: Unfortunately, it does not pick up the program name from the data embedded in the broadcast. That would be nice, but it just names them with date/time/channel. On the plus side, when browsing programs on the hard drive, as you navigate to each one, it begins playing from the beginning in the preview window, so you can see if it's actually what you want to watch at the moment.

One more thing, though I haven't tested it yet. If you stop in the middle of a program, it saves the location you were at so you can resume from there. That part I've done. What I haven't verified yet, is that the manual says it will save a resume location for each recording on the HDD. That's nice. I bounce from one thing to another sometimes and that will make life easier.

lionz: I'm not sure what you mean in how your system is set up currently. Do you use the cable box as a tuner all the time and just let it pass through your current DVD recorder so you can record from there.

There doesn't appear to be any support for an IR blaster on this unit. Not a problem for me as I don't have cable, and even when I did, I didn't bother with anything above a basic tier that didn't require a box.

The fly in the ointment for you may be that this box won't allow you to mix cable and OTA channels. I don't know of any box that will. You can only feed the unit with one type of signal (analog cable, digital/analog cable or digital analog OTA). Of course, there are auxiliary inputs, and you can feed those with whatever you want. So, if you want to record something from a premium cable station going through your cable box, you can feed that into the rear aux input (and I believe you can program the unit to record from that on a schedule) all you have to do, then, is make sure your cable box is tuned to the right channel at the right time.

"The two most abundant substances in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity. Not necessarily in that order"
post #183 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSH View Post

The fly in the ointment for you may be that this box won't allow you to mix cable and OTA channels. I don't know of any box that will. You can only feed the unit with one type of signal (analog cable, digital/analog cable or digital analog OTA). Of course, there are auxiliary inputs, and you can feed those with whatever you want. So, if you want to record something from a premium cable station going through your cable box, you can feed that into the rear aux input (and I believe you can program the unit to record from that on a schedule) all you have to do, then, is make sure your cable box is tuned to the right channel at the right time.

The Polaroid will let you mix cable and over the air, I believe. It has two inputs and I think you could tune ATSC on digital input and analog cable on the analog input. I can't verify, I returned the Polaroid and purchased the Phillips yesterday.
post #184 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 AM

What's the purpose of the USB if you can't copy files from the hdd to the external drive or play music or watch videos from the external drive? Also has anyone been able to play divx/xvid HD (720p) video files with the DVDR3575H?
post #185 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Regarding program names: Unfortunately, it does not pick up the program name from the data embedded in the broadcast. ... it just names them with date/time/channel ...

That is a pity. The RCA DRC8030N could pick up the program name on recordings, which is really nice. It just makes browsing the library a lot easier (even with mini previews, which the RCA also did).
Quote:

... If you stop in the middle of a program, it saves the location you were at so you can resume from there ...

Yeah, we have an old RCA DVD player that does this with each DVD previously played (even if the machine has been turned off and other DVDs played on it since). It is a really nice feature to avoid having to FF or RWND to where you were at when you resume watching something.
Quote:

... There doesn't appear to be any support for an IR blaster on this unit ...

I have not seen this feature on any of the units for $300 or less, so no surprise there.

Thanx Tim, for all the good work. Still sounds like a great unit overall: better than the Polaroids and better than the RCA (costs more too, of course), if it ever comes back to the website ! I live too far from any of the L.A. Wal-Marts to drive there in our local traffic nightmares just to check if they have any.
post #186 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzie54 View Post

What's the purpose of the USB if you can't copy files from the hdd to the external drive or play music or watch videos from the external drive? Also has anyone been able to play divx/xvid HD (720p) video files with the DVDR3575H?

I was under the impression that it was there so you could plug in something like a card reader or digital camera to display / record a slide show of your photos. I haven't played with it yet. Maybe I'll do that this evening if I get the chance.

"The two most abundant substances in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity. Not necessarily in that order"
post #187 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 11:00 AM

The unit does not get very hot. It has a fan, all of the ATSC units and maybe a lot of the other units too, have a small fan in the rear, from what I could observe (ie the Polaroid I think and also Panasonics. Seems quiet, slow rpms for sure, gets the excess heat out. I have fans all over my systems and I did a lot of experimenting to get the rpms down so I would not hear them. When it's off it stays cool; I've had VCRs that got warm even when they were off. Hope that helps. HDDs generate a fair bit of heat, but the electronics must do that too since the non-HDD units have fans too.
post #188 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 AM

Sorry if I this has already been posted.

Can you start to view a scheduled recording and 'chase' it while is is still recording?
post #189 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber22 View Post

Sorry if I this has already been posted.

Can you start to view a scheduled recording and 'chase' it while is is still recording?

Yes, you can. This was a big deal for me as that's how I do my time shifting for the most part.

Providing you're recording to the hard drive, that is. I don't think it supports it when recording directly to DVD.

post #190 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 12:07 PM

I returned a Panasonic ATSC DVD recorder because of a recording problem and was wondering if someone could test the Philips to see how it handles the situation.

Here was the problem. I record OTA and sometimes the signal is lost due to multipath, most noticeably when it's raining or very windy. When this happened during a Panasonic recording, the Panasonic would stop the recording and turn itself off. When the signal came back, the unit would turn itself on and resume recording. Since my signal losses are typically for just a few seconds, the on/off process caused a much larger recording gap than if the system had just kept recording right through the signal loss.

Perhaps someone w/ an ota connection could make a test recording and pull the antenna off during the recording to see how it handles the signal disruption. Hopefully, it will just keep on recording.

Thanks.
post #191 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 PM

QUOTE:
lionz: I'm not sure what you mean in how your system is set up currently. Do you use the cable box as a tuner all the time and just let it pass through your current DVD recorder so you can record from there.

There doesn't appear to be any support for an IR blaster on this unit. Not a problem for me as I don't have cable, and even when I did, I didn't bother with anything above a basic tier that didn't require a box.

Hi,
Yes the cable box is what i use for a signal. The coax goes from the box, and runs up through the ceiling and into the back of the RCA DVD Recorder. Then the signal is passed to the TV with S-Video. This doesnt necessarily kill this purchase for me. The tuner by the sounds of it will still be better than the RCA is, and if i really wanted to get picky since I am just using an indoor antenna I could switch it back and forth. Im sure that i would need to do some programming in that process that may get a little tedious, but if it something I really want to see than so be it. Eventually I will be getting a HDTV in this room as well, and I know alot of times the built-in tuner models have a separate digital input for coax that I could use then. Do they make a splitter with 2 in's an 1 out? Thanks again for the help
post #192 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was under the impression that it was there so you could plug in something like a card reader or digital camera to display / record a slide show of your photos. I haven't played with it yet. Maybe I'll do that this evening if I get the chance.

Probably for USB Flash Memory like the older Philips DVDR.
post #193 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

TimSH,

I was wondering if could possibly elaborate on this a little bit(and DON'T HOLD my NAME against me just because you are from Cleveland )

On my LG LST-4200A HDTV STB it allows you to SWITCH between OTA(ATSC/NTSC) and Cable(analog/digital) without having to RESCAN. The unit asks you when you switch, "Would you like to RE-SCAN for channels?" and you simply highlight NO.

Therefore your previous channel map of OTA channels is still there, and you don't have too rescan and remap.

Since my LG only has 1 RF input, I use an A/B selector switch to change between my CLEAR QAM from my cable, and OTA from my indoor amplified antenna, and it works GREAT(It is a remote A/B switch found at Radio Shack for like $35).

Now, I know you don't have cable, so someone else MAY have to find this out and share here, but:

1. Does the unit do a RESCAN everytime you switch from ANTENNA to CABLE(or vice vera), from within the menu?

2. On the OTA side(or the CLEAR QAM side if that is even applicable at this point), does the unit allow you to EDIT out the analog channels while leaving in the digital channels only?(My LG does this and it is a NICE feature)?

3. On the digital channels, can you edit out some of the subchannels while leaving others? An example of that would be like, for arguments sake let's say that channel 4-1 is NBC, but channel 4-2 is some channel you dont want. Can you EDIT OUT 4-2, while leaving 4-1 in the channel lineup? Again, my LG does this and it is a NICE Feature.

Just curious.

And if anyone else get's this who has cable, please check and see on these points as well, and check on the CLEAR QAM too please.

Thank you
post #194 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oh, one other thing about recording 16:9 material.

TimSH,

What type of media(DVD recordable) were you using to record the 16:9 image correctly?

The reason why I ask is, in my manual(page 8-9 for those who have it to be specific) for my Sony HX-900 160GB HDD/DVD RECORDER it SPECIFICALLY states that DVD+R/+RW media WILL NOT record a 16:9 image correctly when burned.

Only DVD-R/-RW in modes of HQ(1 hour), HSP(1 1/2 hours), and SP(2 hours) will it record a 16:9 image correctly.

Now, this unit IS 3 years old. It was made in 2004, and maybe the media is able to do it now with the newer units that became available.

I just know on my machine it can't do it on DVD+R/+RW media. On the HDD, no problem.

But burn that to a DVD+R/+RW, and it WON't do it. Only DVD-R/-RW media.
post #195 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionz View Post

Hi,
Yes the cable box is what i use for a signal. The coax goes from the box, and runs up through the ceiling and into the back of the RCA DVD Recorder. Then the signal is passed to the TV with S-Video. This doesnt necessarily kill this purchase for me. The tuner by the sounds of it will still be better than the RCA is, and if i really wanted to get picky since I am just using an indoor antenna I could switch it back and forth. Im sure that i would need to do some programming in that process that may get a little tedious, but if it something I really want to see than so be it. Eventually I will be getting a HDTV in this room as well, and I know alot of times the built-in tuner models have a separate digital input for coax that I could use then. Do they make a splitter with 2 in's an 1 out? Thanks again for the help

I have the same issue, and I've thought about that. It's called a switcher. The only one I've seen recently is made by RCA, available at Walmart, for about 5 bucks or so. I haven't found any modulator boxes that have two RF inputs.

I'd also like to know what Steelers asked. Thanks.
post #196 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

According to the User Guide, Page 46, "If there is a power failure or this unit has been unplugged for more than 30 seconds, the clock setting and all timer programming will be lost."
This comes as a surprise to me. I would have expected the timer programing to be stored in FLASH, or to get backed up on the hard drive. This isn't a deal breaker for me, but I am still surprised that they don't protect the timer programming, since they certainly seem to have the hardware resources available.
Am I missing something?
post #197 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm going to hook mine to my UPS the av stuff is on. it should stay powered for hours when all the gear is off or in standby. If you have one do that, also will help it get clean power if you get a better quality unit.
Cheap ones are on sale at the various office stores for 50 or less pretty regularly, and even the better ones can be had cheap when they offer big rebates.
post #198 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

According to the User Guide, Page 46, "If there is a power failure or this unit has been unplugged for more than 30 seconds, the clock setting and all timer programming will be lost."
This comes as a surprise to me. I would have expected the timer programing to be stored in FLASH, or to get backed up on the hard drive. This isn't a deal breaker for me, but I am still surprised that they don't protect the timer programming, since they certainly seem to have the hardware resources available.
Am I missing something?

I can verify, if you unplug it for even a short time, it looses it's clock setting and did not seem to automatically reset the time even though it was programed to do so. Funny, the poloroid that I returned did not seem to have that problem.

I hope this does not turn into an issue, I'm afraid I'm going to be banned from walmart if I return a third machine in a month!

I was very worried about buying another phillips hdd dvd recorder, the one I bought a few years ago had a bad habbit of loosing it's EPG data and doing nothing until I found out and reset the zip code over and over and over.
post #199 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzie54 View Post

The manual states if you try to play a divx file with a resolution out of it's range, it will stop and give an error message.

It does not state if it's range in limitted to NTSC or PAL standard.
post #200 of 4792 Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

I can verify, if you unplug it for even a short time, it looses it's clock setting and did not seem to automatically reset the time even though it was programed to do so. Funny, the poloroid that I returned did not seem to have that problem.

I hope this does not turn into an issue, I'm afraid I'm going to be banned from walmart if I return a third machine in a month!

I have returned 3 of the Polaroid 0160's. they didn't ban me, they just tried to be helpfull. Of course I told them what was happening each time so they knew I wasn't bringing it back because I didn't like the color
I even showed one of the employee's a cap of the bad reception on analog channels and he agreed it was unacceptable. I later found a shorted cable that was making a problem but the QAM still sucked on last one.
post #201 of 4792 Old 05-30-2007, 06:36 AM

Anyone found things yet this unit can't record? Does it recognize things like macrovision, broadcast flags, CPCM...?
post #202 of 4792 Old 05-30-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondiablo View Post

Anyone found things yet this unit can't record? Does it recognize things like macrovision, broadcast flags, CPCM...?

The manual says it can't record copy protected material.
post #203 of 4792 Old 05-30-2007, 06:44 AM

I was at Wally world in East Pittsburgh and came across two 3575 units, now there is one so if anyone local is interested in the other one N Versailles is the place to go.

I had, until it died, an LVW-5045 and purchased the RCA DRC8030n two weeks ago as a replacement. Compared to the 5045 the 8030n is a dream, the user interface and machine operation is superior in every way. Also, the ability to drop in a larger HD without hassle is a big plus. I found this site while looking for more information on the 8030 and of course learned about the new Philips unit in the process so when I saw it I felt I had no choice but to purchase it.

Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to take the 3575 out of the box until Sat at the earliest so I can't directly compare the 8030 to the 3575. Does anyone here have experience with both? If so, how do they compare and which unit do you prefer and why?
post #204 of 4792 Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthesped View Post

... purchased the RCA DRC8030n two weeks ago as a replacement ... found this site ... and of course learned about the new Philips ... I felt I had no choice but to purchase it.

I had the RCA for a short while and really liked most of it (except that I had some issues with time shifting for long periods that others did not encounter). It does seem less advanced and polished than the Philips on the whole, but it did also do things that the Philips does not, such as pick up the name of recordings automatically (I think jim55 noticed this too) or record a buffer automatically from start up, nor does the Philips allow you to record the buffer to the HDD in the same way according to the first user trials posted here.

I still think the Philips sounds like a better choice for me overall. The RCA is still available online, however, with $0.97 shipping for more than $100 less than the Philips so I would be very interested in hearing about your direct comparison of the two.
post #205 of 4792 Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 AM

I hope to have the chance to compare this weekend. Maybe I'll have to stay up late tonight and play.

Maybe it's the fault of my Comcast Digital box but for me the RCA does not record the show title and I can't for the life of me force it to do so. I do hear the hum of the unit when volume is low but I don't find it to be too distracting but it is distracting none the less. I am assuming the 3570 will play divx movies from an external drive through usb like my DVP5960 does, at least I hope it will.

I really like the menu's in the 8030, especially the way titles of recorded movies are displayed, text to left with relatively large preview to right. My Lite-On had a bunch of small boxes and I could barely read the description let alone see an image showing what the recording was. Also, I can't figure out how to record the buffer to the HD on the RCA but then again I didn't really know it was possible until yesterday, that too sounds like a plus. I also really like the fact that the RCA is always in timeshift mode, one less thing for me to have to think about when I'm watching a show and something comes up.

What I find appealing about the Philips is...

- Possible ability to play divx movies from external HD, like the DVP5960 does.

- Ability to play divx.

- 1080 P / HDMI for when I get rid of my 17 y/o television and get an LCD.

- SDTV tuner.

- i.Link, I found it to be much easier and got better quality when transferring home video to dvd using my Lite-On than I got from my computer, I assume the Philips will be the same way.

What I like about the RCA...

- Menus are really nice compared to my old Lite-On.

- The unit is always in timeshift mode, my interpretation from this thread is that the Philips doesn't do this.

- The ability to save timeshifted material to HD.

- The ability to drop a really big HD into the unit without having to perform any tricks to make it work.

- The fact that the clock is always right, my Lite-On lost about 4 minutes / month.

Can anyone else expand on this?
post #206 of 4792 Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

Am I missing something?

It may be that the clock setting are lost so what you have scheduled will not play on time until you re-set the clock. So you do not lose the scheduled program settings, just they will not record correctly. That is what I have found on my older Polaroid and Panny and my guess it is the same here.
post #207 of 4792 Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Hi
I did finally get this unit. My walmart got 2 in and they put one on display and luckily i called in to hold the other for me. I have just begun playing with it, but so far i am happy with it. I have it hooked up right now to my HDTV, but I will be moving it upstairs to my non-hdtv in the next couple of days. One thing i noticed that it does that the RCA doesnt is it allows you to watch TV while recording to DVD from the HDD. I also noticed the lowest (SLP i believe) recording level is pretty crappy. For those of you that i asked before i did pick up a 2-way switch to go between cable and antenna for when i do hook it up to my other TV. I will let you know how that works when i set it up. The pause live TV function works good, my wife is a little disappointed that it doesnt have the rewind live tv function like the RCA did. I have it hooked up with HDMI right now through my TV and it allows me to cycle through 480P, 720P and 1080I - not sure how that works with a non-HD signal, but the picture does seem a little better with each upgrade. My HDTV is not a 1080P, and the recorder recognizes that and does not allow for me to switch to it.
Any questions anyone has I can try to help
thanks for all of those that have helped me already
post #208 of 4792 Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

I purchased a DVDR3575H from the Broomfield CO Walmart yesterday. It was the only unopened box. They did have one on display.

I have played with it a little, and I haven't seen anything yet that upsets me, and my experience seems to agree with the reports so far. At this point, I expect to keep the unit.

I am OTA only. I did have to play around a little with my antenna connections. My TV, a Philips 42PF7320A, is on the razor's edge with picking up KCNC-DT (4.1) and when I fed the antenna into the DVD antenna in and fed the TV from the DVD antenna out, I lost that station. I was able to get it back, by running the antenna feed into a 2 channel splitter, and feeding the DVD and TV from the splitter outputs. KCNC-DT sometimes shows some noise on the TV, but it sometimes did that before the splitter. This arrangement has the advantage that the DVD and TV are seeing virtually identical signals for comparison purposes. For now, I am just using S-Video to connect the 2, because that's what I had, but I will order order an HDMI cable. I am not about to pay the price in a retail store. I tried a few minutes of recording at default resolution, and the results look fine to me. Both units are set for 16x9 and that works fine.

The DVD gets all the digital stations that the TV sees, and they look solid. The DVD detected the KBDI-DT 12.1,12.2, and 12.3 signals but they are unwatchable. The TV doesn't detect them at all.

I wouldn't hold these reception issues against either unit. I have an attic mounted antenna and long cable runs.
KCNC-DT is operating under their STA permit which allows 11KW as opposed to the 1000KW on the Construction Permit for the permanent transmitter. The permanent transmitter will also be about 500 meters higher.
KBDI is operating under their STA permit which allows 43KW as opposed to the 1000KW on the Construction Permit for the permanent transmitter. It is also 30 degrees off from my antenna orientation, which is aligned as a compromise for the bulk of the Denver stations.
I expect to have solid signals when the Denver stations go to their final configurations.

I remember seeing a question about the ability to save the "Pause Live TV" buffer. I haven't played around with that yet, but I don't see a necessity for me to use the "Pause Live TV" feature much. It is almost as easy to just turn on recording of whatever you are watching. Once you do that, you can watch the program from the disc, as it's being recorded, and it will be there for future use.

I would describe the fan as quiet and the exhaust air as slightly warm (probably about 80 degrees). The chassis seems to be room temperature. At this point, I am not concerned about heat.

I just did a little recording test, which went fine. I dubbed a single, very short, title from the Hard Drive to a Verbatim DVD+RW. I was able to play the DVD in my very cheap DVD players: An Insignia NS-DVD1 and a Magnavox MSD124.

I did a power outage test. I pulled the plug for about 3 minutes. When I plugged it back in, it sat there with --!-- for a clock setting. I powered it up and set the clock manually. I checked the timer programming, and it was blank. The recording list I had created was gone. This was all just as the manual says on page 46. So, unless they come out with a firmware update which changes this, if you have a significant recording list, and/or you often lose power for more than 30 seconds, you might want to look into a UPS. Since that is not my current situation, I plan to keep a handwritten backup which meets my current needs.
post #209 of 4792 Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionz View Post

Hi
...The pause live TV function works good, my wife is a little disappointed that it doesnt have the rewind live tv function like the RCA did...

Actually, you can. But you have to pause it first. Once paused, you can rewind, fast forward, skip & repeat to your heart's content.

post #210 of 4792 Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 AM

I played with both last night and am leaning toward the RCA at this point. The 3575 does not play video through the usb direct connection like the DVP5960. For me the commands are not very intuitive, I had to look at the manual to figure out how to access files on the HD. I feel the recording quality from the Philips is slightly better than the RCA but it's hard to tell on my ancient TV. I tried unsuccessfully to copy the "pause live tv" buffer to HD but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I did not do a power failure test but the clock does set itself in about a minute when watching a PBS station. For me the ideal machine would be the RCA with the features of the Philips.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page