Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 4792 Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all....I thought I'd start this thread for the handful of folks like myself who still use OTA to get HDTV.

I found out about the Philips DVDR3575H over in the "Summary of ATSC Recorders" thread.

There is also a good link in that thread to Wikipedia where they have a link to a preliminary data sheet. (I can't post links, so hopefully someone else will post them below.)

I was originally leaning toward the new Pansasonic DMR-EZ17 or EZ27, but then I saw this Philips with the HDD for a comparable price and I'm intrigued. I've read lots of posts where people swear that an HDD unit is the only way to go.

I currently have a Magnavox DVDR, so I'm well aware of some of the quirks and limitations of a DVDR. It's starting to have problems recognizing discs, and I sure don't want to go back to using a VCR.

I've considered a TIVO or some other DVR, but I'm just too cheap to pay that monthly recurring charge. I like to pay one time up front.

Just stopped at Wally World and saw an empty shelf with the price tag.

Hope to get my hands on one of these soon.

I've never owned a Philips before, so I'm a little leary (although, I think Magnavox and Philips are the same company?).

Looking forward to reading others experiences with this Philips DVDR3575H.

Thanks in advance......Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4792 Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 PM

What is the price?
post #3 of 4792 Old 04-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

There is a big thread here on the Philips DVDR 3455/37. You might want to read it. I own one. I got mine very cheap or I wouldn't be happy with it.

My gut instinct says this new unit will be very similar with the addition of an ATSC Tuner. Same price, both available thru WalMart, both with 160gb HDD, that's why I think they will be similar. There are some nice features with the DVDR 3455/37. There are also some pretty big shortcomings that will make me wait to see who else will offer an DVDR with HDD and ATSC Tuner.
post #4 of 4792 Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred View Post

There is a big thread here on the Philips DVDR 3455/37. You might want to read it. ... There are also some pretty big shortcomings that will make me wait to see who else will offer an DVDR with HDD and ATSC Tuner.

Can you summarize for those of us who don't want to read 455 messages.
post #5 of 4792 Old 04-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Big Pluses DVD+/-R and RW compatibility, 4x DVD burn from HDD, Decent HDD Video/DVD Burn Quality, Nice Tuner, Stereo, Great Multi-Tasker, 6hr. Live TV Buffer, 160gb HDD.

Big Minuses No True Chase Play of an In Progress Timer Sheduled Recording, DVDs burned from edited HDD Titles have FF/REW problems in other DVD Players, Imprecise editing, Less than Optimal Editing Controls, Maximum of 16 edits per Title before unit locks up, Somewhat aggravating Remote,.

Plenty more on both sides, but these are the biggest for me. Maybe add no DVD-RAM or Dual Layer support to the minuses if these are important to you.
post #6 of 4792 Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:

Big Minuses No True Chase Play of an In Progress Recording . . .

That would nix it immediately for me. That's how I watch "live" sports -- start recording the game then start chase-play an hour later, FF through the commercials and fluff and catch up to the end in real time.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 4792 Old 04-06-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

FullOnShred....Thanks for the nice list of + and -.

Could you elaborate on the "6hr. Live TV Buffer".

I noticed the pdf said "A very large built-in memory records the program you are currently watching when you press the pause button....you can resume the program from the moment you pressed pause as if you were watching a live program".

I thought this was some marketing fluff that made no sense, but now...???

Does this mean you can chase play a program you are NOT recording?

Thanks again.....Mike
post #8 of 4792 Old 04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

The Live TV Buffer is indeed "Chase Play" of sorts and starts functioning anytime the Philips is powered on manually and in Tuner Mode. It begins automatically recording 6hrs. worth of whatever you are watching. If you switch channels, so does the recording buffer. You can record all or part of this buffer to the HDD if you so choose, at least until it hits the 6hr. mark and starts recording over the first 6hrs.

Kelson could turn the unit on, tune into his sporting event and go bother the wife for a while and come back later and have Chase Play function up to the point the recording was still in progress. But he could NOT do this if he set up the event as a Timer Schedule Recording.

That's the rub for me. If you have set up a Timer Schedule Recording, and the unit begins recording to the HDD (not the 6hr. buffer), you can't start watching at the beginning until the recording ends. True, there are some "workarounds" that can be found in the DVDR 3455/37 thread, but none of them are suitable for my purposes. None of them equate to True Chase Play in the sense most people understand it.

PLEASE, keep in mind I have no guarantee that the new unit will function in the same manner. I am merely suggesting this may be likely because several other key factors about the unit are identical.
post #9 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 09:53 AM

According to Philips, this model will go on sale in JULY.

The previous model is DVDR3455. Stay away from it. It will become obsolete in 2009.

The new model seems to be the same plus it has an ATSC tuner and HDMI.
post #10 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadfly View Post

The previous model is DVDR3455. Stay away from it. It will become obsolete in 2009.

The new model seems to be the same plus it has an ATSC tuner and HDMI.

Why will it become obsolete?
post #11 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Supposedly in 2009 all broadcasts will be digital and there would be no analog signal available (including from cable). If this is the case the tuner part of the DVD recorder will be worthless since it can not receive any tv signal, therefore the unit itself becomes obsolete.
I have a Toshiba and a /Sony DVD recorders w/HD and will probably use them as door stops at that time!!
post #12 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahid View Post

Supposedly in 2009 all broadcasts will be digital and there would be no analog signal available (including from cable). If this is the case the tuner part of the DVD recorder will be worthless since it can not receive any tv signal, therefore the unit itself becomes obsolete.
I have a Toshiba and a /Sony DVD recorders w/HD and will probably use them as door stops at that time!!

What about the other parts of the recorder? Besides the tuner I mean. I don't use the tuner. Still a door stop? Would you consider $10 for your Toshiba and Sony? I'm offering.

But even if I used a tuner I'd rather have a full featured 2006 HDD model than what has been released in 2007. And based on recent pricing many agree. Supply and demand have inflated pricing. I think it is probably better to call them "legacy" items rather than "obsolete"? Maybe.

Those that decided to wait for ATSC tuner models based on ill informed advice have been left with a whole lot of nothing. Comments like "you'll get your neighbor's pay per view" were comical. But perhaps waiting is good advice when comparing the new Philips - both old and new are HDD models. But bad advice for those that let Pioneer, Panasonic, or Toshiba DVD HDD recorders slip by.

As far as analog cable Comcast said this last month after the Chicago decision was made.

"Comcast, the nation's largest cable operator, has not put a firm date on when it will convert all 26.2 million subscribers to digital service. That is not likely to happen until sometime in the next decade. It's at 52% today.

The question is, when do we get to the point where it is both cost effective and competitively reasonable to make the shift? Comcast senior vice president of strategic planning Mark Coblitz said March 12 at the Association of Cable Communicators Forum in Washington, D.C."

From here:

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6429802

If you do the math it would be tough to shut down analog cable over the next 20 months or so. There are currently 65,600,000 basic cable subscribers in the USA(12/06). That would require the deployment of 3,250,000 digital STBs per month - starting now (rough numbers). Where are the boxes going to come from? Especially after the July 07 cable card mandate for new box deployment becomes effective. Chicago by July? Huh - makes more sense especially if the STBs were on closeout.

Basic cable number I quoted is here:

http://www.ncta.com/ContentView.aspx?contentId=54

I wish more people would site there sources.

Just thinking out loud.
post #13 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Not quite true. The February 2009 analog shutoff date only affects
OTA broadcasting, not cable or satellite.
post #14 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Once again, for the last time.

The shutoff has NOTHING to do with cable. It affects ONLY OTA reception with an antenna. That is it.

Now, will the cable companies use ths as an EXCUSE to FORCE evryone to rent an STB by 2009 to view their service?

Probably. they have already begun that in Chicago, IL(and the surrounding suburbs) it seems.

The uniformed don't know this is the case, unfortunately.

You people do realize that if enough noise was made you could get TWC/Comcast KICKED OUT of your area, right?

They have to have a liscense in order to operate, and these liscences are VOTED ON by the local government. They have regular meetings.

I am not sure how long these liscences last, but if enough people push/bitch about it, a local cable operator can be forced to cease operations, and a new one come in under certain conditions(private or one of the MONOPOLIES)
post #15 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Where does Philips say this?

Thanks,
Daniel
post #16 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I say this with great hope but very low expectations - I sincerely hope Philips listened to the folks from this forum who went to great lengths to tell them how to radically improve their product. They could make it one of the best DVDRs ever with a bit of re-tooling. I seriously doubt they will though. We will see.
post #17 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCard View Post

Where does Philips say this?

Thanks,
Daniel

Yeah, where did he hear this?
I called Philips and they couldn't tell me a release date...
post #18 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 05:45 PM

> Where does Philips say this?

I phoned.
post #19 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

As said elsewhere, the tuner won't have any analogue broadcasts to tune in.

It will be possible to buy a digital-analogue converter, just as for an analogue TV (or a converter with two tuners, one for each appliance), but this has a disadvantage: To record, you would have to program BOTH the DVD recorder and the converter each time you want to record off air.

As I understand FCC rules, no DVDRs without ATSC tuners were supposed to be shipped after March 2007, so in theory all those now for sale were already in retail inventory.

The sad story is the disappearance of HDD. These were always hard to findin the USA, though there are dozens of models for sale in Europe. People here, it seems, prefer not to learn how to use them and to pay monthly the rest of their lives to TIVO or cable companies to get a DVR. Bizarre!
post #20 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
gadfly,

Are from Europe(living there currently), or you just don't knoe the American spelling of ANALOG(not ANALOGUE)?

The reason I ask is because you do understand the analog shutoff for the U.S. in 2009 is for OTA stations(major broadcasters such as NBC/CBS/ABC/PBS/FOX/CW/Independent) only.

Nothing to do with cable. Again. Nothing to do with cable.

Now if you are placing your money on cable FORCING people to an STB, right now, I would 51% agree with you.

But it is too early(Chicago may be a test case for the Cable co.'s to see what they can get away with) to tell.

By the 3rd-4th quarter of 2008 we will know. And so will cable.

Just like people flocked to satellite radio for certain reasons, the same may happen to cable if they go a little "crazy".

When people realize they can get a great picture with an antenna, and a cheaper price on other television channels with satellite, it will force their hand.

Also, their are alot of powerful people that own alot of those broadcast networks, and they could force them to leave their analog signal alone, if their ad revenue(viewership) is directly hurt by that move.

Money talks, as always.
post #21 of 4792 Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Unless the cable company provides all unscrambled signals that I can split to multiple units with QAM tuners I will drop them like a bad habit. If I can't record 2-4 channels at once I will just go back to OTA and/or find a satellite alternative if possible.
post #22 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:

Wow, Wal*Mart really jumped the gun on that shelf tag then!
post #23 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrac View Post

Wow, Wal*Mart really jumped the gun on that shelf tag then!

Walmart wouldn't be putting up shelf tags for something that won't arrive for 3 months. The Phillips person that handed out that info could be as accurate as the Walmart web site in terms of availability in the store.

Why does it seem like a lot of these model specific threads degenerate into a "when analog is shut down" discussion.
post #24 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 11:40 AM

I found some info on it at Bright & Sleek...

http://www.brightandsleek.com/pdf/PHILIPS-DVDR3575H.pdf

http://www.brightandsleek.com/Produc...Code=DVDR3575H

...I never heard of Bright & Sleek (until my search), but the pdf looks creditable.

PHILIPS DVDR3575H PRODUCT FEATURES - (DVDR3575H/37)
- 1080p HDMI with true high definition video upconversion
- Progressive Scan component video for optimized image quality
- 160GB Hard Drive records all your favorite TV programs
- Dual Media records on both DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW
- i.LINK digital input for perfect digital camcorder copies
- Plays DivX, MP3, WMA and JPEG digital camera photos
- Built-in SDTV Tuner for digital television reception
- USB Direct plays photos and music from USB flash drives
- Pause Live TV lets you take a break without missing a thing

Availability: Available to ship in 3 to 4 weeks

$359.00 (for that site)

I currently have the Pioneer 533Hs and looking at this Philips as a replacement.
post #25 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

LG, depends on how much Philips improved this from last gen (if at all), and what you want to use it for as to whether it will suit your needs. If you do get one, WalMart will carry these and likely be much cheaper than the price you posted, with that lovely 3 month "experimentation" window.
post #26 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sincerely hope Philips listened to the folks from this forum who went to great lengths to tell them how to radically improve their product. They could make it one of the best DVDRs ever with a bit of re-tooling. I seriously doubt they will though. We will see.

Thank you FullOnShred.

I have been wondering, to myself...never posted anything about it, whether or not any of these big companies (Philips, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba, etc...) do come in here and look at what all of us would like in a unit and then make one that does exactly just that.

Don't they realize how successful it would be if they made sure it had all the connections people wanted, features, video quality, 16x9 recording, preset and variable recording speeds, etc... The list could go on and on and if one company (lets say Philips does it with their 3575) made a unit based on reading from this, and I am sure many other forums, they would have the ability to corner the market like Microsoft has with computer Operating Systems.

Even for no other reason but greed and wanting to make money, it's beyond me that companies don't come in here, just like FullOnShred suggested, and make us all a "master" machine...if you will.

Here is a unique question to ask everyone who posts in here.

What would you pay for a DVD Recorder that has EVERYTHING you would want in features, quality, etc.? You name it, and it's got it, bar none. How much? $300, $400, $500, $600? Suppose another perk was that the unit never failed you and became future reliable with infinite firmware updates. Just contact the company and say I would like for my unit to have this new feature and presto, they direct you to a web site, you download the update, install it, and it works perfectly.

Don't they realize how many of them they would sell if they did such a thing, and the only thing that hurts more than the fact that they don't is that in all likeliness they very well COULD make a machine that was great, and they don't.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #27 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 03:02 PM

To many people who want to pay $100 and too few who want to pay $600.
The people who are willing to pay $600 have bought a Tivo.
post #28 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

suplex, may I make a humble suggestion? Your last post would make an excellent topic of it's own. Could you be persuaded to create a new topic for it? I will certainly respond to it.
post #29 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGamer View Post

...Availability: Available to ship in 3 to 4 weeks[/i]

$359.00 (for that site)[/color][/b]

I currently have the Pioneer 533Hs and looking at this Philips as a replacement.

They've been saying 3 to 4 weeks for two weeks now.
Also, the list price on the recorder is $329.95 so their
price is high.
Another site has it listed for $300.05 plus shipping
and still another has it for $312 with free shipping.
None of the above have a definite release date.
post #30 of 4792 Old 04-15-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:

I say this with great hope but very low expectations - I sincerely hope Philips listened to the folks from this forum who went to great lengths to tell them how to radically improve their product. They could make it one of the best DVDRs ever with a bit of re-tooling. I seriously doubt they will though. We will see.

Quote:

...WalMart will carry these and likely be much cheaper than the price you posted, with that lovely 3 month "experimentation" window.

I haven't bought a Philips product in years, so I'm no long familar with their quality or issues.

I assume there were problems with prior Philips recorders (or products in general)? Was it build quality, lack of features, poor functionality, something else?

Provided this new model performs well, it would be a tremendous step over my Pioneer (at least feature wise - HDMI, 1080p, twice the HDD, etc).
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page