post #361 of 440 Old 09-26-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Oh, I do delete all titles (there's only 1 on there, at any time, anyway), before reuse. It's my standard practice. I don't do regular reformats (because I don't have all day to wait on it, if I had to do this for 3 discs/week).

Maybe I should try an actual reformat, but I am leery of risking further scheduled recordings, if the disk continues to misbehave (the ez17 was not kind, once calamity was introduced into its world). My original thought was more along the line of Kelson's suggestion- if it's acting up, don't waste time on it, toss it.

Maybe I will subject it to some "less critical" scenarios for testing...

I just got my first DVD-RW discs. I tried one in my ES20 and got a message that it needed formatting, which I did. I have a thread on "Formatting DVD-RW", but I also have an EZ17 and saw your comment implying it takes a long time to format these. However mine formatted reasonably quick in the ES20, but I'll try the EZ17 later. I didn't time it, but perhaps like formatting a DVD-RAM.

I realize quick is a relative term, but do DVD-RWs take longer to format if they contain a lot of data?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 440 Old 09-27-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'm not sure what Mr. Hanky was talking about, but I always reformatted -RWs in my EZ-17 and rarely took more than 20? seconds, and it seemed to take the same time whether the disc was full or nearly empty. It's the finalizing that takes longer if the disc is only partly filled.
post #363 of 440 Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Here are two more interior views of the same DMR-EZ17, first a top view showing the chassis circuit board and digital circuit board, second showing the underside of the DVD drive:
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #364 of 440 Old 09-27-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

DigaDo,

Are you taking the EZ17 apart because there is a problem, such as a leaky capacitor?
post #365 of 440 Old 09-27-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

DigaDo,

Are you taking the EZ17 apart because there is a problem, such as a leaky capacitor?

The pictured EZ17 arrived 9/26/08. While this machine was purchased as a spare and/or for parts the machine appears functional following setup, configuration and testing despite an early error reported during rapid "channel surfing." The machine exterior is normal excepting the case top has several scratches or scuffs, the front panel has minor scratches and the right foot pad is gouged. No remote or AC cord was provided with the machine. (For setup and testing purposes a EUR7659T50 remote from EZ17 #1 and a Panasonic/Technics KDK-F AC cord was utilized.)

The EZ17 was opened for DVD drive hub/spindle cleaning. No interior irregularities were observed. The DVD drive hub/spindle appeared clean but residue was found in the cleaning process, seen in the first group of reference photos. Following cleaning the EZ17 was set up with the Philips SDV2270/17 indoor antenna. The machine was connected by composite outputs to a RCA CRT TV. Upon power-up the machine was found to be set for operating code #1. Channels were auto-scanned followed by clock setting. Other options were configured in the Setup menus. Some channel surfing followed and test recordings were made. No operational or recording problems were observed.

A few hours later there was more channel surfing, this time somewhat more rapidly, returning a U99 error while moving between an analog and digital channel. Pressing the Power button on the unit powered the machine off, and soon thereafter pressing the Power button brought the EZ17 back up with no U99 error. The machine was powered off but left connected to AC power overnight.

On 9/27/08 the EZ17 was disconnected from AC power and reopened in order to take additional reference photos, including those showing the DVD drive model/serial number and another of the underside of the DVD drive itself. Following reassembly an unfolded paperclip was substituted for the Philips indoor antenna and more channel surfing demonstrated very nearly the same tuner performance between the two antennas.

I expect to change this machine's operating code to #3 and teach a Philips PMDVD6 "learning" remote #3 functionality. This Philips remote includes disc tray open/close functionality native to the #1 operational code selected through code 0340 but this feature may be lost with programming the Philips for operational code #3 functionality.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #366 of 440 Old 09-27-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want to "stress test" your machine, try recording "Dancing with the Stars" both Monday and Tuesday nights, using weekly events. I missed more of the results shows that I actually got
Between U99 errors which killed my machines or downright skipped events(which were later traced to the timer bug effecting all EZs) I resorted to doing a backup schedule on one of my reliable ES machines. May not have been as clear or in 16:9 but at least I got it
I used mostly -RWs but did get a deadly U99 once with a RAM disc and usually recorded in XP for 1hr1min or SP for 2hrs1min. If you do get this type of U99 I'd be very interested if physically removing the stuck disc would clear the error. Nothing else I tried worked.
post #367 of 440 Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I realize quick is a relative term, but do DVD-RWs take longer to format if they contain a lot of data?

I guess it is "quick" in the scope of the Big Picture of things you have to wait for in life. As far as me holding the remote and waiting for it to do whatever it does before I can exit out of the screen or hit the eject button, it is longer than I care to wait (especially if I have to do 3 discs in a row, per more usual routine). Plus there are a bit more steps involved, if you are doing it "blind". That's why I like to do the straight title delete. It just works out better for my particular use patterns.

Mind you, my remarks were more in the context of using dvd+rw's, though. So going through the format process is more an inevitability for -rw than +rw. If -rw is what you have decided to use, then spending some time at the format screen is simply part of the deal.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #368 of 440 Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mind you, my remarks were more in the context of using dvd+rw's, though. So going through the format process is more an inevitability for -rw than +rw. If -rw is what you have decided to use, then spending some time at the format screen is simply part of the deal.

I typically time shift & use DVD-RAM. Once in a while DVD-R. But I started playing around with a slideshow program on my PC and it does not output in a RAM format. Since I'm still experimenting I'm going through a few DVD-Rs. So I figured why not use RW discs. I went with -RW because if I wanted to I could also record with them on the Panny ES20, which can only read +RWs. Of course the computer software finalizes the disc, which means I cannot delete a title and forces me to re-format in order to re-write.
post #369 of 440 Old 09-28-2008, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

As an update to my little misbehaving +rw disc earlier, it seems to have simply gone bad. I tried the reformat, but it would simply not behave on subsequent recordings. So I dumped it.

The machine seems to have been trouble free using other discs since then. So I am glad it wasn't the machine going bad. It seems to have been just that one disc that died prematurely. The other discs in the same collection seem to be working reliably. It will still be interesting to see if they drop dead soon, though.

post #370 of 440 Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If you want to "stress test" your machine, try . . . which killed my machines . . . If you do get this type of U99 I'd be very interested if physically removing the stuck disc would clear the error. Nothing else I tried worked.

If I recall all your EZ series machines had been removed from service before someone else reported clearing a persistent U99 error by manually removing the disc.

I really appreciate the much practical advice you've given. But my goal is to keep my Pannys functional and reliable rather than to stress test them.

After my large dubbing project put huge demands upon several of my ES30 and ES35 Pannys, each of them ranging from around 3,000 to 4,300 recording hours, these machines are now semi-retired (but they are still fully functional and may be put back into daily service, if necessary, in a matter of minutes).

Several of my "lower mileage" Pannys are in daily service, and there are other "lower mileage" ES and EZ models currently set aside for rotation into daily service. With this arrangement I may equalize recording hours and service intervals.

In addition to three ES series models I've been using two EZ models in a limited duty role, one for a year and the other since February or so. From time to time the bugs and design flaws are very much of an annoyance but, for the most part they have met my minimum expectations.

After extensive experience with the "bulletproof" ES series Pannys it was a difficult adjustment to have to lower one's expectations for the new EZ series Pannys. These newer Pannys are like the results of "outcome-based education," dumbed-down and ill-prepared for the real world.

With the recent addition of a third EZ17 model and an EZ28 model I expect that I shall soon transition all four EZ models into daily service--with ES series machines ready to go back into service if it's too much for EZ machines to handle.

In August and September TCM programmed several blocks that demanded 24 hour (or longer) recordings each week on consecutive days. The primary machines, all ES series models, were scheduled and recorded in tandem without any problems. One of the secondary EZ17 models was also scheduled and recorded a few of the blocks. The Philips 3575 was also scheduled and recorded round-the-clock to hard drive as backups followed by HS dubbing of this material to DVD. The primary sets were recorded to Maxell DVD-R discs and the hard drive backups were dubbed to Verbatim DVD-R discs.

post #371 of 440 Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I totally understand your desire to not kill your EZ machines. It wasn't my desire either. I just wanted to record a few programs the way I normally do, and on that point they failed me many times. Luckily mine were all under warranty, but in your case I'd be tempted to baby them instead of stress testing them
I truly wish you the best of luck and if something does go wrong I believe you've got a good chance of getting them back in service with your Panasonic knowledge
post #372 of 440 Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are three photos of a very dirty hub/spindle on a DMR-EZ17, a January 2007 example with a low serial number in the AA series. There was dust and debris including fibers lodged on the rubber hub. The cleaning took two cotton swabs just for the hub itself. The third photo was taken before all the dust was removed from the disc tray.
LL
LL
LL

post #373 of 440 Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My EZ17 did something new and unusual this week. I got home from work and turned it on to watch some shows I had recorded. When it powered up, it went through the entire setup cycle as if the unit were brand new. I had to let it scan for channels, select TV type, video source(cable/antenna), set the time, etc etc. I was then able to press the navigator button and view the shows I had recorded.

The next morning when I went to schedule a recording for later that night, every time I pressed the schedule button, I would see an orange block that said SET THE CLOCK on the normal schedule screen. I tried setting the clock manually and automatically over a half dozen times each. Afterwards, I would go back to schedule and it would say SET THE CLOCK. I tried several more times, turning the unit off(from the remote) after each clock setting.

This was when I noticed it was really acting strangely. When I powered down the EZ17, the correct current time would be on display. Power it up, go to schedule, and there's that annoying SET THE CLOCK block on the screen.

I talk to my electronics as though they are humans(or at least pets ) and I began cursing at the unit and telling it the clock was set. For whatever reason part of its memory was not functioning properly and even though the time was on display when the unit was powered down, the schedule part of the program could not find the correct time. The remote has a status button which I had never had any cause to use, but when I tried it I could see(after the second press of the status button) that instead of the current time on display, it showed dashes and colons as placeholders as if it truly didn't know what time it was.

I finally pulled the plug on the back of the unit and let it set for 3 minutes before plugging it back in. The display on the front of the unit flashed 12:00 for about thirty seconds and then switched to the current time. I turn the unit on, go to schedule and SET THE CLOCK message was still there. My GF changed out the batteries in the remote, not sure what her thinking was, but I figured anything was worth a try at that point. Still get the SET THE CLOCK message on the schedule screen.

At this point I was about to give up and trash can the unit, but I decided to try one last thing.(Actually I would have probably tried a couple of hundred other things first...repeating each one a dozen or more times....yes, I know this is a sign of insanity...and I'm okay with that.) After pressing the setup button, I clicked on restore default settings. I then went through and changed everything back to the way I had it before. Instead of six hour delay for power down, I turned that feature off. I turned off DST. I turned off the Quick Start feature and a couple of other things that I have heard may contribute to the "missed recording" flaw this model seems to have. I can't remember if I set the clock manually(which I prefer...I like to have the EZ17 start 30 seconds early...a carryover from my slow-starting VCR days) or set it to find the time automatically. I think it was automatic, but anyway, when I went to the schedule screen, the SET CLOCK message was finally gone. I don't think I turned the unit off between "restoring the default settings" and discovering the problem was solved, but I may have. Anyway, it seems that the key(in my case anyway) to getting the machine to remember the current time has something to do with the default settings. Also, when I press the status button twice I see a block on the screen with the current time displayed(even shows the seconds changing).

I recorded three shows last night and all came through fine. The unit was even nice enough to remember the current time when I first started it up after getting home.

I think I have read almost every message in this thread, but I don't recall seeing this problem before. Has anyone ever had a problem similar to mine?

Thanks for listening to me rant. I can tell my EZ17 ignores me so I need an outlet to vent. LOL

Danny in Yorktown, VA
post #374 of 440 Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
post #375 of 440 Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Also a better reset would be to, when the machine is turned on, hold both the channel up and channel down buttons on the main unit for at least 10 seconds. This will basically do a NIB reset. A few things such as the remote code are retained but everything else is factory default.
post #376 of 440 Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 AM

I know...I know...programmer error is more likely, but I'm positive that is not the case here. I programmed my EZ17 to record "Life on Mars"(an ABC show) last night. When I got home, I turned on the EZ17 and the station that it was currently tuned to was the local ABC's station, which is always what happens when I record several shows in one night...the station of the last show recorded is the show that the tuner goes to when the DVD is first powered up.

That right there makes me feel confident that I did program the EZ-17 to record the ABC broadcast. Another factor that makes me think I recorded the proper channel is that in the Navigator Menu, the channel listed for this particular recording was the local ABC affiliate. But oddly, the name of the show(just below the station ID) was "Eleventh Hour" which comes on CBS. The initial freeze frame for this recording and the recording itself were both of CBS's "Eleventh Hour" even though the Navigator reported that it had recorded the show from the local ABC affiliate.

I know the cable company has the ability to put any channel's feed on top of another....they do it when required by network exclusivity rules, but if this did occur this time, I'm sure it was an accident, as I see no reason why the cable company would override the local ABC affiliate's programming and replace it with CBS programming.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has ever recorded a show and got another show in its place and the Navigator menu confirms that you recorded the corrected channel, but the results indicate otherwise.
post #377 of 440 Old 10-17-2008, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

That is definitely a strange one!

I, too, discovered a new oddity whilst playing around with the model tonight. I don't know if this is repeatable or if it was mere coincidence, but I blindly keyed in a channel on the tuner. Evidently, this number was a blank station, and before I knew it, the ez-17 locked up solid! No response to any buttons, until I did a forced reset by holding down the power button. It's the first time I ever encountered this scenario.

post #378 of 440 Old 10-17-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

As someone at AVS would say, "And the bugs continue".........
post #379 of 440 Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiewolf View Post

I know...I know...programmer error is more likely, but I'm positive that is not the case here. I programmed my EZ17 to record "Life on Mars"(an ABC show) last night. When I got home, I turned on the EZ17 and the station that it was currently tuned to was the local ABC's station, which is always what happens when I record several shows in one night...the station of the last show recorded is the show that the tuner goes to when the DVD is first powered up.

That right there makes me feel confident that I did program the EZ-17 to record the ABC broadcast. Another factor that makes me think I recorded the proper channel is that in the Navigator Menu, the channel listed for this particular recording was the local ABC affiliate. But oddly, the name of the show(just below the station ID) was "Eleventh Hour" which comes on CBS. The initial freeze frame for this recording and the recording itself were both of CBS's "Eleventh Hour" even though the Navigator reported that it had recorded the show from the local ABC affiliate.

I know the cable company has the ability to put any channel's feed on top of another....they do it when required by network exclusivity rules, but if this did occur this time, I'm sure it was an accident, as I see no reason why the cable company would override the local ABC affiliate's programming and replace it with CBS programming.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has ever recorded a show and got another show in its place and the Navigator menu confirms that you recorded the corrected channel, but the results indicate otherwise.

Hokiewolf,

My most frequent scheduled recording bug occurs when the recording power-up/pause appears to transition to record but freezes with the recording counter at 00:00. Nothing is recorded to disc and the machine sometimes stays frozen at 00:00. Sometimes this requires a manual reset but other times the machine resets itself with no indication that the scheduled recording failed to begin. Of course, once the machine powers-up and goes into the pause mode the channel becomes that of the scheduled recording. If the machine resets itself it will appear normal upon the next power-up with the failed recording channel as the currently tuned channel. Checking the disc will not find any evidence of the failed scheduled recording but the schedule menu may show the failed recording as "F" (failed). I believe that I've sometimes observed that the (failed) scheduled recording is gone from the schedule menu as is normal when a scheduled recording has recorded as normal.

Jeff,

I believe I coined the phrase "And the bugs go on . . ." not that it makes me feel good to point out bugs and design flaws in some products from a manufacturer that has (otherwise) served me so well.

post #380 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

I believe I coined the phrase "And the bugs go on . . ." not that it makes me feel good to point out bugs and design flaws in some products from a manufacturer that has (otherwise) served me so well.

The most recently added DMR-EZ17 (the one with the very dirty hub pictured above) was set up OTA and performed well. Following that it was set up cable-ready where it performed well. Last weekend it was scheduled it to record SNL on our local NBC channel 8.1. I was watching as the EZ17 recorded. At the end of SNL I manually stopped recording only to get a "disc problem" window. After the EZ17 recovered, the disc returned an "unsupported" message on that EZ17 and an ES model. Following this incident this EZ17 would no longer tune the digital channels, just the analog channels. I rescanned the channels with the same result. I pulled the EZ off cable and set it up OTA and rescanned the channels, finding all the local OTA analog and digital channels. I disconnected the EZ17 from ac power for a couple of days. Yesterday I set the EZ17 up cable-ready, ran the latest firmware and rescanned the channels. This EZ17 is now tuning all the Comcast cable-ready analog and digital channels.

And the bugs go on . . .

post #381 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Too bad about your EZ-17, that SNL was a great program. That's the reason I decided to abandon the EZ line. Many of the things I record are one time shots. If the recorder malfunctions all is lost. My ES machine recorded it just fine, thank you very much
post #382 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too bad about your EZ-17, that SNL was a great program. That's the reason I decided to abandon the EZ line. Many of the things I record are one time shots. If the recorder malfunctions all is lost. My ES machine recorded it just fine, thank you very much

Actually I had also scheduled another EZ17 to record SNL last Saturday. (That other EZ17 was the one originally given to a relative--but she gave it back a month or so later.) When I checked that EZ17's SNL recording I found that it must have had one of it's pause/no-record/freeze incidents, but it had recovered on its own by the next morning. The correctly scheduled SNL recording was still found in that EZ17's schedule menu with a "F" (failed recording) notation.

And the bugs go on . . .

post #383 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you saying you had the event scheduled on 2 different recorders and they both failed? Man that's bad luck! I'd almost suspect some type of CP problem but it's probably more related to the flakiness of the EZ-17s. It recorded just fine on my ES-30 hooked up to a CM-7000 CECB.
I guess in your case if your really care about an event you should make sure your backup machine is an ES one and not another EZ-17
post #384 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you saying you had the event scheduled on 2 different recorders and they both failed?

. . . I guess in your case if your really care about an event you should make sure your backup machine is an ES one and not another EZ-17

That's just what happened. At least I watched the SNL episode, er, rather dozed off during some of it.

There is a Zenith DTT901 about two feet from a cable-ready EZ17. Perhaps I'll connect the 901 to a line in and do some experimental recordings, say, record some hour long shows in back-to-back ten minute segments alternating between cable ready digital, cable ready analog and OTA digital feeds of the same program. Perhaps I'll see what might have CP or not with that arrangement.

post #385 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
DigaDo, the perfect chance maybe to get someone to test a theory first posted on another forum... that the rash of CP occurring on a wide variety of shows and DVDRs is coming from the AUDIO in COMMERCIALS (RIAA CP protection, which has recently been beefed up with U.S> legislation signed by Bush in Aug or Sep)???

I never get CP in any of my recordings so can't test myself.

It would be great for someone to do some test recs with one or more machines that have been seeing CP connected directly to the source (antenna or cable) thru line inputs, and leave the audio cables disconnected? (No CECBs or other upstream boxes.)
post #386 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

You may try a different brand of disc, as well. I encountered a spat of failed recording behavior whilst trying out some Memorex dl dvd+r discs. The recording would fail and abort somewhere after the 1 hr mark, leave the disc unrecoverable, and lose the program.

post #387 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may try a different brand of disc, as well. I encountered a spat of failed recording behavior whilst trying out some Memorex dl dvd+r discs. The recording would fail and abort somewhere after the 1 hr mark, leave the disc unrecoverable, and lose the program.

The failed disc was the second to last Verbatim DVD-R disc left on hand.

Some months back I had encountered some problem discs in the same Verbatim spindle. Following that I pulled the remainder of that spindle, around 55 discs, out of service. At that time I had observed a visible irregularity with at least one of that spindle's discs.

Recently I decided to "use up" the rest of that spindle with non-essential recordings or backup recordings. In recent weeks there had been no problems from the remainder of that Verbatim spindle.

All these Verbatim discs had performed well until last weekend's recording failure on the most recently added EZ17. There is no visible defect with the recently failed Verbatim disc.

The other EZ17, the one with the pause/lockup/record failure had a Sony DVD-R disc in place. That EZ17 was pulled from service, had a DVD drive hub/spindle/lens cleaning and was set aside for future rotation back into service. Another EZ17 was swapped into its place. The Sony disc was placed into another machine, recordings were made and the disc has been finalized and archived.

post #388 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

DigaDo, the perfect chance maybe to get someone to test a theory first posted on another forum... that the rash of CP occurring on a wide variety of shows and DVDRs is coming from the AUDIO in COMMERCIALS (RIAA CP protection, which has recently been beefed up with U.S> legislation signed by Bush in Aug or Sep)???

I never get CP in any of my recordings so can't test myself.

It would be great for someone to do some test recs with one or more machines that have been seeing CP connected directly to the source (antenna or cable) thru line inputs, and leave the audio cables disconnected? (No CECBs or other upstream boxes.)

Wajo,

I do follow the Philips/Magnavox threads, somewhat belatedly at times, so I am aware of the Copy Protection discussion. I have yet to experience any recording failures that I may attribute directly to CP.

My 3575 is enslaved to a Comcast Motoroloa DTC700 that's dedicated to TCM so I am unable to utilize the 3575 for any other purpose. In the same room with the 3575 are two Panasonic ES models receiving composite feeds from the Motorola STB. These three machines are TCM workhorses pre-scheduled out a week or two or more. There is also one DMR-EZ17 setup cable-ready in this room. This EZ17 is the machine that is open for some CP experimentation. This EZ17's present cable-ready signal source is a RF pass through from another EZ17 setup cable-ready in the next room.

In that next room there are a variety of connections to four Panasonic models, three of which have digital/analog tuners. One of those EZ Panasonics is usually dedicated to TCM from the 3575 RF passed through from the next room. (That EZ17 may also be switched to a direct cable-ready feed but that switch is seldom used.) That leaves two other Panasonic digital/analog tuner EZ models for more general use. One DMR-EZ28 is setup OTA; one DMR-EZ17 is setup cable-ready directly to a Comcast coax feed. These machines, except the EZ28, have very specific current recording strategies, the EZ17 TCM slave and the cable-ready EZ17 are scheduled out one or two weeks in advance; and the EZ28 currently set OTA will be rotated into service as a TCM slave within two weeks.

My complex configuration may not lend itself to the type of experiment you suggest.

post #389 of 440 Old 10-23-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My complex configuration may not lend itself to the type of experiment you suggest.

I'd say!
I got dizzy just reading about your setup And I thought my setup was complicated
post #390 of 440 Old 10-25-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:

When I checked that EZ17's SNL recording I found that it must have had one of it's pause/no-record/freeze incidents, but it had recovered on its own by the next morning. The correctly scheduled SNL recording was still found in that EZ17's schedule menu with a "F" (failed recording) notation.

And the bugs go on . . .

My most recent failed recording was discovered when I got home from a brief trip out of town. It took me a while to discover that the recording of a Monday night show had failed because the EZ17 would not power up. I even changed the remote batteries thinking that was the problem, but still no go. After unplugging the unit for 3 minutes and then plugging it back in, I was able to power up the machine normally from the remote. I knew there was going to be a problem when the machine displayed the amount of time remaining and it was identical to the amount of time remaining before the supposed recording should have taken place. I went to the schedule menu and the two recordings for Tuesday night's show were still scheduled and at the top of the list and the failed Monday night show was still in the schedule below the Tuesday night programs with an exclamation point in the last column. Anyone know what the difference is between an F and an exclamation point when it comes to a failed recording?

I was betting that I was going to have problems this time because I programmed the Monday night show on Sunday before leaving town and did not have a chance to power up and power down the machine on the day of the recording. I know from all of Jeff's problems that failing to power up/power down on the day of a scheduled recording is a recipe for disaster. I have scheduled far in advance a couple of times before and gotten lucky with the recording actually occurring, but not this time. In the future, I know to use my VCR when away for longer trips.

Speaking of VCRs, does anyone know if it's possible to still purchase one without a DVD player built in. I've already got two DVD players and the EZ17and really don't need another DVD player sitting around. With this most recent failure to record, I guess I've successfully recorded around 396 out of 400 shows. That's only a 1% failure rate, but when I compare that to my VCR where I probably had 4 failures in 10 years of recording shows, it's way too much.

Danny
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page