Old 01-29-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiewolf View Post

I wonder if I could put the EZ17 first in line in front of my cable modem(for high speed internet). If my internet speed suffers, I'll know it's a no go, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever hooked their DVD recorder up on the same line that eventually feeds their cable modem.

Please let us know how this worked. On the Philips 3575 thread Wajo wanted to have someone try this, to check if the DVDR was "bi-directional". That is if the signal was able to go backwards through the DVDR back to the host. I don't think he ever got a firm response if this was possible. Your test would verify if the EZ-17 was bi-directional and if it did work I'd also be curious if there was any speed drop on your internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

My cable splits at the wall and 1/2 feeds two VCRs and the LCD HDTV, the other 1/2 feeds only my cable modem. Since the EZ17 RF connectors are just passing the signal through, I wonder if I could put the EZ17 first in line in front of my cable modem(for high speed internet). If my internet speed suffers, I'll know it's a no go, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever hooked their DVD recorder up on the same line that eventually feeds their cable modem.

I had a similar hookup recently, and the Comcast internet guy who hooked it up said the cable modem needed a direct connect from a splitter. But, you can try it and see.

RG
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I also suggest trying both component 480i and component 480p output. For me the 480i looked a bit better. IOW the TV was a doing a better job at converting the signal than the EZ17.

Mike, I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying about 480i and 480p. According to my manual, there appears to be only one set of component outs on the EZ17. I don't see an i or p on the diagram of the unit's back. The only reference for 480i and 480p is when choosing the setting for TV Type. Is that what you're referring to?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike, I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying about 480i and 480p. According to my manual, there appears to be only one set of component outs on the EZ17. I don't see an i or p on the diagram of the unit's back. The only reference for 480i and 480p is when choosing the setting for TV Type. Is that what you're referring to?

Look on page 46 of the manual, under "selecting TV type". There you will see that there is a choice between 480i and 480p.

RG
Old 01-29-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
hokiewolf,

As mentioned, you have to select the TV type. And of course you have set your TV accordingly.

When I was experimenting between i & p, sometimes the EZ17 gave a darker picture. But I was able to reset to the normal brightness by turning the EZ17 completely off, which means also turning off the "Instant On" feature. So I went back & forth looking for the sharpest picture and disregarded the darkness. When done I powered down & when turned back on everything looked good. Same thing happened with my ES20.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Because I am a long time user of Panasonic DVD recording equipment (DMR-EH) and despite the numerous mentions of timed event lock-ups, I purchased the DMR-EZ27K at CC. Last night on a timed event at 6:30PM, I ran into the dreaded lock-up, all 0000's and the blinking "REC". After reading through this thread a second time, I got the impression that the first recording of a given day will always work but the second and subsequent recordings within that same day will not trigger a proper recording event. So I decided to run a quick test. Using the Scheduler I did the following:

Freq = Sun-Sat Time On = 09:30 Time Off = 09:35 Speed = EP
Freq = Sun-Sat Time On = 09:40 Time Off = 09:45 Speed = EP
Freq = Sun-Sat TIme On = 09:50 Time Off = 09:55 Speed = EP

All of these timed events functioned properly. System turned on approximately 55 seconds prior to the "On" time, Channel Number was selected, Time went to "0000", "REC" blinked, then at the proper start time the timer commenced up-counting. The unit then shut down with the cascading 0's and the final "Bye" at Time Off.

This little experiment surprised me because based on what I have read in the thread the 9:40 and 9:50 events should have locked up but they did not.
It is obvioulsy not my settings because the unit (April 2007 Build Date) did lock up on me last night.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory. Has it been stated that if you power up and then power down the unit sometime prior to the days first scheduled recording that all timed events for that day will all record without a problem? If so, then that would explain why all of my timed events worked correctly.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

First I think the 00000 thing is separate from the timer bug I documented here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=970828
With the timer bug I found the problem had more to due with the first event being a weekly(or possible also a daily) event, and the first event totally filled up the disc. Then if the second event was the next(or future) days, and you did not power up the DVDR at least once the following or later days(sometime before the next event) the second event would never record. Note there are some very specific rules in this bug that will make the second event not record. So I don't want anybody thinking this will effect all second or subsequent recordings, unless the previous circumstances occurred.

I'm sure this is why there are not more people experiencing this problem. It's just that personally it effects me a lot. I use weekly events all the time, and usually totally fill up the disc with each recording, and never use my DVDR to play. So I don't normally power up the machine between recordings.
Hope this clarifies things for you. And from looking at your schedules I see no reason they would not all record, at least as far as the timer bug. There are more bugs, such as the 0000000 pause problem, that I too have experienced a few times, but I cannot duplicate that bug enough to really know what is happening. I don't think it follows any pattern. I think it's more related to the flakiness of the EZ machines.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

First I think the 00000 thing is separate from the timer bug I documented here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=970828
With the timer bug I found the problem had more to due with the first event being a weekly(or possible also a daily) event, and the first event totally filled up the disc. Then if the second event was the next(or future) days, and you did not power up the DVDR at least once the following or later days(sometime before the next event) the second event would never record. Note there are some very specific rules in this bug that will make the second event not record. So I don't want anybody thinking this will effect all second or subsequent recordings, unless the previous circumstances occurred.

Jeff, I still don't see why this is a problem. Since the disc is filled, you will always have to power up the recorder to change the disc before the next program is recorded. Correct?

Is there something I am missing here?

RG
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Rgazzara-Correct machine will need to be powered up to change discs, the problem is if the disc swap is done the same day that the first disc is filled up. Usually after a disc is filled up I like to swap to a blank disc right away, so I don't forget to do it the next day. While your are correct if I did the swap the next day all would be fine. It's just that I usually like to finalize the first disc, then swap it with a new disc right after the first event. Then I watch the first event on my Sony Player, maybe that same night, maybe later. Does that make sense?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM

jjeff-Makes sense to me. I liked to change my discs before retiring for the night (or as you describe, not long after the nights scheduled recording). That way I won't forget to change discs and if I do, I have 24hrs to remember. However, it seemed I was starting to change my discs out when I returned home from work in the evening just prior to the nights scheduled recordings. As you pointed out, if I was having the bug, I may have been unknowingly using your work around. I still try to change discs this way just in case; although I have confirmed that changing my discs immediately after a nights scheduled recording had no effect on the next night.

I am really beginning to wonder about my EZ17 vs others. I have been reading the many threads lately describing the various "bugs". While mine hasn't been 100% perfect it has not displayed any of these other "bugs" people are describing. Or at least nothing I would not describe as the same odd flakiness my Samsungs display occassionally. I must have been really lucky.

What me? HTPC!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 AM

I just got this unit this week. Actually I got the DMR-EZ27K not the 17K. So far I love the box, the tuner has much better range/reception than the other two ATSC tuners in my house (an Accurian and an old Toshiba SIR-105). I'm a long time DVD-RAM devotee so I'm loving the DVD-RAM features! (I just ordered some more DVD-RAM discs) My software Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD imports the recordings using its camcorder import function. I haven't tried to author a DVD from recordings yet, but I'll try.

I'm running this TV into a 3/4 year old Philips 27" flat front 4:3 tube NTSC TV with component inputs. Unfortunately the TV does not have a 16:9 mode.

The Panasonic DVD-F87K 5 disc DVD changer that I got a couple years ago reads and plays the recorded DVD-RAM discs perfectly. However, my Technics DVD-A10 does not (it was a long shot), nor does my Sony SACD/DVD machine.

* Great reception both analog and digital!
* Super convenient DVD-RAM recording functions!
* Nice user interface. There are a few quirks, but overall the look and feel of the machine is quite nice. I have other Panasonic DVD players so it's a little familiar.
* Remote control has just what is needed for our TV. Channel switching, volume, and TV/Video. This means that we no longer need to ever use the TV remote. Perfect!!!! Absolutely perfect!!

Dislikes:
* No zoom mode for 16:9 broadcasts.
* Records at viewing aspect ratio - the only way to get a 16:9 recording is to set the TV shape setting to 16:9. I guess I understand why they did this; they need to incorporate a scaler in order to change the HDTV/16:9 DVD content to a 4:3 TV. If they recorded 16:9, they would need two scalers, one to scale the 16:9 HDTV to 480i for DVD recording and another to scale the 480i DVD 16:9 to 4:3.
* It has trouble with my computer authored/burned DVDs. I make DVDs on my computer from camcorder and intend to make them from the files this box generates.

So far I'm very happy with this unit! Actually I think I'll probably not even bother bringing stuff into the computer and authoring DVDs. I don't care about slick menus and stuff, as long as I can watch the program that's really what I'm after. The MPEG compression is not as good as I can do with my computer, but my computer is not compressing on-the-fly! I'm very impressed with the on-the-fly compression quality!

Philip Hamm
Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Rgazzara-Correct machine will need to be powered up to change discs, the problem is if the disc swap is done the same day that the first disc is filled up. Usually after a disc is filled up I like to swap to a blank disc right away, so I don't forget to do it the next day. While your are correct if I did the swap the next day all would be fine. It's just that I usually like to finalize the first disc, then swap it with a new disc right after the first event. Then I watch the first event on my Sony Player, maybe that same night, maybe later. Does that make sense?

So the problem occurs only if the disc swap is made the same day that the filled disc is recorded. In other words, if you fill up (or does it have to be overfilled?) a disk with a recording that ends at 9:00 PM, and swap out the disc for a recording at 10:00 PM, the second recording will not start. However, if the disc swap is made after midnight for a recording that starts after midnight, then the second recording will start. Is that what you are saying?

I'll have to try this again on my EZ-17.

Thanks.

RG
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM

BTW, according to this report from Cnet some of the new 08 model Panasonic DVD-Recorder models including the EZ-18 will have no tuner at all.

Philip Hamm
Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Rgazzara-Yes I think you got it. The easiest test to see the bug is as follows(this is the exact events I mostly use)
First event 7pm-8:01pm today XP speed(this event must be setup as a weekly, or daily event, I always use weekly events)
Second event 6pm-7pm tomorrow.
Sometime after 8:01pm today(but before midnight) reformat the full RW disc(or RAM, or replace it with another blank one if you like)
Turn the machine off and do not turn on until you see that the second event is not recording.

What you should see is the first event will record just fine(missing the last 30 seconds or so since the disc totally filled up and there wasn't room for the last 30 seconds). Then when the second event should have started at 6pm the machine will do nothing. It will just sit there and nothing will be recording. If at this point you want to, you can turn the machine on, and then back off. When you turn the machine back off, it will instantly start to record the second event(assuming you are still in the time frame of the second event).

Note you don't have to overprogram the first event, you could just program in one hr in XP speed, 2hrs SP etc.. In this scenario sometimes the 2nd event will record and sometimes it will not. It all depends if the machine was able to record the whole event, or if it missed the last few seconds. FR also works this way, sometimes you will get your whole event time, sometimes it will miss the last few seconds due to a slight miscalculation the machine did about available space.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm View Post

BTW, according to this report from Cnet some of the new 08 model Panasonic DVD-Recorder models including the EZ-18 will have no tuner at all.

Yes 2 have tuners and 2 do not. One DVDR/VHS and one DVDR only have the tuners. What I'd like to know is if they fixed the bugs of the current lineup, but I'm not too optimistic, since for the most part, they refuse to admit there are any problems with this years models
Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
While I seldom watch or record sporting events the Super Bowl was of special interest to a relative so I recorded the whole event with my Panasonic DMR-EZ17. The game was recorded at the LP speed on two discs.

This DMR-EZ17 is set up cable ready (without a cable box) on Comcast. I watched portions of the game on a LCD HDTV connected RF to the same cable feed through a splitter. This TV (with NTSC, ATSC, Clear QAM) produced stunning picture quality when watched live.

As the LP setting on my Panasonics always produces very good picture quality I was dissappointed when I sampled the LP recording through both the component and composite inputs to the same TV. I found the recorded images to be of only poor to fair picture quality. There were random digital artifacts and a generally fuzzy picture, even while the players were standing around between plays. Action scenes were even worse. The commercials seemed to be of much better picture quality.

Perhaps this is an example of DRM or aspects of copyright protection impact upon home-recording.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

While I seldom watch or record sporting events the Super Bowl was of special interest to a relative so I recorded the whole event with my Panasonic DMR-EZ17. The game was recorded at the LP speed on two discs.

Doesn't LP have a 4 hour capacity on a disc? One disc seems like enough, unless you were recording the pregame and postgame show. If you actually meant to say SP speed and still saw all those artifacts, I'd be disappointed. I still haven't got my EZ17 hooked up...I discovered I couldn't daisychain it with my cable modem. I'll be using DVD-RAM discs. What type of discs were you using?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was using the LP speed. I started recording at 2:45 p.m. Pacific Time. The game started about 3:18 p.m. At about 6:43 p.m. I swapped out the first disc during a commercial. The game ended around 7:08 p.m. I finalized the first disc and sampled the recording. The second disc will be filled up with other recordings.

These are TDK DVD-R discs that give very good results with all my other recordings. My DMR-EZ17 usually records a little more than 5.5 hours of programming per week at the EP speed (six hour option), mainly black and white Perry Mason episodes shown by our local Fox digital/HD station, channel 12.1. These EP recordings provide good picture quality.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't actually record the SB, but in the past have had good results recording in LP from a HD channel. In fact when PQ is a concern I've mostly stopped recording LP on my analog Panny's, but I feel I get a much better PQ in LP recording from the HD channels on my EZ-17..
That said, Wajo, on the Philips 3575 also noted poor PQ recording the superbowl on his 3575. Maybe something was up with the broadcast. I know watching it live, it sure was not the PQ of the same 2 teams a month or so back, when they were on 1080i CBS and NFL network. IMO fox and there 720p broadcasts really pail compared to other 1080i channels. And I only have a 720p LCD TV, but sure prefer the PQ of 1080i channels.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Perhaps this is an example of DRM or aspects of copyright protection impact upon home-recording.

My first reaction to this was, why would you record a football game on anything less than SP? I'm not surprised you got less than satisfactory results, you starved a high-motion recording for bitrate. It's not just the action on the field, but the constantly changing camera angles, panning and zooming. Football needs bitrate. I recorded the SB at SP on an E-85; signal = OTA out of Philly. The picture was as good as its ever been. I watched the first half live and the second half as chase-play off the E-85. No artifacts and clear picture that looked the same as the live broadcast.

That, of course, is the primary advantage of a HDD recorder making it mandatory for anyone who wants to record sports. I set the E-85 to record in SP mode from 6:00-11:00pm EST and never worried about changing a disk. A good friend at work is a Giants fan so I'll burn the game off to a couple RAMs, take it to my PC to cut out the commercials and half-time (Tom Petty . . . are you kidding me?). If the game is less than 2.5hr I'll use a 2-pass transcoder to shrink it down to fit on one DVD with no perceptible loss in visual quality.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 AM

I finally got around to hooking up my EZ17. I couldn't daisy chain my cable modem off of it, so I went to the other side of the line and daisychained the EZ17(it being first) with two VCRs.

1. EZ17 would not recognize a disc containing two TV shows recorded from an older Panasonic DVD recorder. Is this common? A cheap Norcent DVD player played the shows easily.

2. I have gotten a couple of messages that I'm not sure about. One was U61...it has happened twice. There had not been a power outage though. Another time after I deleted a test recording the display of the EZ17 read NV(or at least that's what it looked like). I tried pushing every button to get rid of it and the unit appeared frozen until powered down and back up.

3. I got an ERR message when I first placed a Panasonic DVD-RAM into the unit. Is this common?

4. When I schedule a recording, do I have to give the show a name?

5. On my first recording(on DVD-RAM in LP mode) there was a horizontal line about two inches from the top at the left edge of the screen. The line jerked or became longer/shorter(1-3 inches) for about 30 second before disappearing. It reminded me of a videotape that needed the tracking adjusted.

6. The display always says EP 6:00(at least as long as there is a DVD-RAM disc in the unit. Is there anyway to toggle this and get other information displayed, such as channel #, time, etc? In the setup menu I only see a mention of the front display for changing the brightness.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

1. The disc should have played just fine, not sure why it didn't, but sometimes certain discs don't seem to like certain machines. If it's only that one disc I wouldn't worry about it. That's one of the reasons I have so many players, recorders. One is bound to read about anything.

2. U61 doesn't sound too good. There is a list in the back of the manual that explains most of the error codes, you could look it up. As long as you don't get the dreaded u99 error, I got that on the first 3 Panny EZ machines that I tried and they all had to be returned since they would not work at all. They even kept my discs!

3. Don't really use RAM's, but no you should not be getting errors inserting them. The few times I have used RAM's they worked just fine, no errors.

4. I never give a program a name on the EZ Panny's since they will automatically be put in there by the program, if you are recording off of a digital channel. I only record off digital channels, if you didn't, and wanted your program to have a title, then you could enter it now, or later after the recording was done. My father NEVER titles his recordings, that's a option too....

5. Never had that problem.

6. No, I really dislike the EZ display. IMO it's quite worthless. I much preferred the older Panny's display. This display reminds me of some cheap VCR's that would only display the word PLAY or PAUSE etc. on it's display. I really loathed those displays.

To me it sounds like you might have a defective unit, with the odd recording problems you are having. I would suggest playing with it for a while and see if things work themselves out, if not I would exchange it, or if you really don't like all it's quirks, return it and try something else. IMO the EZ Panny's are capable of some very good recordings, especially off of HD broadcasts, but they do have issues and quirks.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

hokiewolf,

I typically use DVD-RAM discs & swap them all the time between my EZ17 & ES20 with no problem. I have swapped only a few DVD-R discs between units & they too have played normally.

I have no idea about the error messages. My 1st thought was to make sure your DVD-RAM was formatted for video use versus computer use. There is a difference. However since you got it to play I'm presuming it is properly formatted.

I believe the "NV" stands for Navigator. I'm guessing you might have somehow activated the Direct Navigator function. Check the manual & see what it says about this.

You do not need to give the program a name.

Did you ever get that horizontal line on any subsequent recordings?

If you change the recording mode to SP or LP, then that will display. Otherwise you're stuck with the minimal info Panny gives you.

Every so often there are postings where people have had to clean DVD-RAM discs in order to make them work. You might want to make sure your discs are clean & then reformat them which may help eliminate the disc as a source of any problems.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 AM

I recorded both Law & Orders last night and also got the last minute of Deal or No Deal as an unattended scheduled recording from 8:59pm to 11:01pm in LP mode. I'm using a EZ17 DVD recorder, recording off of basic Cox Cable on clear QAM at 10-1. During playback, the audio was fine during the last minute of Deal or No Deal. There was audio on most of the commercials over the next two hours...but not all of them. Both Law and Orders were almost completely mute. No dialogue could be heard. Background noises, bits of soundtrack music and the L&O theme all played...just no dialogue. I've tried every setting I can think of with the DVD recorder, but I don't know what I could have done wrong to get audio for the last minute of one show(Deal or No Deal), but then no audio for the next two shows. I'm wondering if the first show was SD and the last two shows were HD.[I've since done research and see that both L&Os are HD...no mention of Deal or No Deal, which might mean its SD.] After I discovered the problem, I made one minute recordings of CBS-HD and ABC-HD and I believe NBC-HD as well. All shows played back perfectly audio-wise. This is my first day of using the EZ17 and I don't know if I've set something up wrong or if I just had the misfortune to record two shows that had audio problems.

I don't believe there is a problem with my hook-up...for the moment I have it hooked to my Philips 32" LCD HDTV via the side composite jacks. During playback, I've tried pressing the audio button on the remote and cycling through Mono L, Mono R, and Stereo. I've tried changing most of the audio settings I could find except for those that mention PCM and bitstream. I'm not sure what they mean. I believe I've turned on and off dialogue enhancer and possibly virtual surround sound(I think the choices were normal, emphasis and off here) during playback, but do not know if how they were set before/while the show was recorded determines how the show is recorded or if they only come in to play during playback.

I posted this to a local HDTV reception forum on this site and someone seems to think the audio switcher at the local affiliate didn't work properly and somehow the center channel, where they say the dialogue resides, was lost.

For those of you who answered my questions about errors/quirks, I appreciate the input. I hope this problem is at the network/affiliate level. None of those previously mentioned errors have ever occurred again. I've done the one unattended recording and three live recordings without a hitch. The local NBC affiliates HD signal looks fantastic on my TV, btw...even after recording at LP mode. Now if I can figure out the deal with the audio.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 463
hokiewolk,
The nice thing about recording to RAM on the Panasonic is you can employ chase-play to help track the problem. Set the EZ-17 to record some shows you'll be watching in real time. At sometime during the recording session, switch over to the EZ-17 and monitor what is coming out of it's tuner vs. what's coming out of your TV's tuner. Then go into chase-play and see what's getting recorded onto the RAM disk.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Check that VSS again, and make sure that it is off.

Good luck.

RG
Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

Check that VSS again, and make sure that it is off.

Thanks...I made sure of that BEFORE tonight's scheduled recording. I think Off was the default, but I can't be sure. Anyway, tonight, I recorded two HD shows(Lost and Eli Stone) off of my local ABC-HD affiliate. Everything came through fine. Looks like the problem is just with NBC-HD locally, but hopefully just for that one night. I'll do some more test recordings over the next few nights to find out for sure.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some 2007 models from several manufacturers do not have tuners. Check them out next time you go to Best Buy or Fry's. The manufacturers must be figuring a lot of people will be using them with cable boxes.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 AM

I recorded the Tom Petty Superbowl halftime show in XP mode on a DVD-RAM disc in 16:9, then viewed it on my X1 with 96" screen. Wow, I am very impressed with the results from this little box! Beautiful picture! I wish it recorded 5.1, and I would like to be able to record 16:9 on regular DVD-R/RW discs, but as I wrote before I've been a big believer in the DVD-RAM format for years, and the added flexibility of the format is really nice.

Philip Hamm
Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like to be able to record 16:9 on regular DVD-R/RW discs

It will record 16X9 just fine to any discs, it just won't set the flag, so if you give the disc to a friend with a 4x3 TV, the people will be tall and skinny. They will play back in all there 16X9 glory on a 16X9 TV. I do this all the time on regular R/RW discs. But yes, the machines is capable of some very fine recordings on XP and even SP.