Panasonic DMR-EZ37K DVD Player/Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 04-06-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to the DVD Recording,,, Can you use the DVD recorder (EZ37) like a VCR and set it to record TV shows all week long and still use the TV...Does it have a timer like the VCR's .Trying to get away from VHS Tapes...

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-06-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The EZ37 Recorder has a "Timer" in it just like a VCR has & it works just about the same way except DVD recorders usually have a lot more "Timer Events" than a VCR. I think the EZ37 has 16 Timer Events compared to most VCR's that only have 8 Events.

Yes you can record one program while you watch another program just like you can on a VCR.
post #3 of 48 Old 04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMOJD View Post

New to the DVD Recording,,, Can you use the DVD recorder (EZ37) like a VCR and set it to record TV shows all week long and still use the TV...Does it have a timer like the VCR's .Trying to get away from VHS Tapes...

Thanks,
Joe

"all week long" may be a stretch. You only get 2hr of good PQ recording on a disk or, with a Panasonic, 4 hr of acceptable, but noticably inferior, PQ recording per disk in LP mode. 6hr & 8hr DVD recording modes are there strictly for marketing purposes so people don't think they are geting less recording time capability than their VCR -- but they are because 6&8hr DVD modes are unwatchable. So, as long as you are prepared to flip disks every 4hr of recording, the EZ37 will function just like your VCR, with the added features a DVD recorder brings to the table.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 48 Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Well someone stated in another thread that the new Panny's will keep recording from one layer to the next on DL DVDs & if it's true than you could use the "LP" 4 hour mode to get up to 8 Hours on a DL Disc at a decent Picture Quality or 4 Hours at the excellent "SP" 2 hour recording mode.

If it's true about the DL Recording than the "new" Panny's might be more than just last year's model with an ATSC Tuner in it.

Would be nice to fit things like the "Godfather" & etc on one disc at the "SP" mode.
post #5 of 48 Old 04-06-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Would the DVD recording (Panasonic, 4 hr of acceptable, but noticably inferior) look better than tapping on a VHS tape??
post #6 of 48 Old 04-06-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

Well someone stated in another thread that the new Panny's will keep recording from one layer to the next on DL DVDs & if it's true than you could use the "LP" 4 hour mode to get up to 8 Hours on a DL Disc at a decent Picture Quality or 4 Hours at the excellent "SP" 2 hour recording mode.

If it's true about the DL Recording than the "new" Panny's might be more than just last year's model with an ATSC Tuner in it.

Would be nice to fit things like the "Godfather" & etc on one disc at the "SP" mode.

Gee Bill, would you really want to routinely throw away $2 +DL disks for everyday watch-n-toss timeshifting. I was thinking in terms of reusable RAM for routine recording. I only save less than 10% of what I watch.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 48 Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would the DVD recording (Panasonic, 4 hr of acceptable, but noticably inferior) look better than tapping on a VHS tape??

I don't want to be rude and not respond, but I can't answer that question. Since I have a HDD recorder I record everything in SP mode (2hr per disk mode). If I had to guess, I would say Panasonic LP mode is probably no worse than SP mode on a VCR tape. But someone else who uses Panasonic LP mode will have to answer that for you.

- kelson h

post #8 of 48 Old 04-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

At least as good as SP on a VCR, noticeably better than EP. I have both the ES-10 and ES-15. For something I wanted to keep long-term I'd prefer SP but LP is more than "acceptable".

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #9 of 48 Old 04-07-2007, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

The 4 hr mode on my Panny ES20 looked better than S-VHS in 2 hr mode when I had my 27" Sony CRT TV. So I was quite happy. With my 42" TV it's difficult to say since standard def programs on an HD TV are just OK looking in the first place, but I still prefer the disc to tape. But I can tell a difference between 2 & 4 hr DVD recordings viewed on the 42" set. I do mainly time-shifting & find the 4 hr acceptable and use it when I'm away and need the time. And it does look better than 6hr S-VHS. When I'm home & can change discs, I try to use the 2 hr mode because it does look better. Or I may use the FR mode and get 3 hrs on a disc which still looks pretty good. Again, I'm comparing to S-VHS. So compared to regular VHS the disc should look even better.
post #10 of 48 Old 04-07-2007, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well I took the first step I checked out a few Online retailors and was going to buy the DMR-EZ37K but ******* had the DMR-EZ47K cheaper so I ordered it from *******, They had it listed for $249.00, and the DMR-EZ37K for $299.00, I asked if the price was right and the sales rep said yes so I per ordered it. It's coming out in May, I said to him that ******* had it listed for $100.00 cheaper that anyone else, I checked the Web site the next day and the price was changed to $349.00, I hope they Honer the Preorder price, I want to thank everyone for there input.

Thanks,
Joe
post #11 of 48 Old 04-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Hi DEMOJD:

Just a trick to teach you so you don't get asterisks when you type in a name of a web site.

Don't say: TheStore
Say: T h e S t o r e

This way we all get to see which retailers (Brick & Morter, or Online) you are referring to.

I don't like that AVS scrambles it, but they do.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #12 of 48 Old 04-07-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Suplex, The online web site is O N E C A L L,
post #13 of 48 Old 04-21-2007, 01:19 PM

I had a bunch of half-hour episodes saved on the hard drive of my Verizon FIOS box of a program I wanted to keep and I didn't want to put them on VHS because of the poor quality. So I studied up a bit and went Friday and bought the Panasonic DMR-EZ37K at my local Walmart. I had no experience with DVD recording except on the computer, and I was concerned about the manual since I have read that some of their manuals are pretty bad.

I'm happy to say that I've been making DVD's and they've been working fine. The quality is excellent even though I'm recording 2 hours (SP) per DVD and I'll probably try EP (6 or 8 hours) to see how that compares. It is certainly better than VHS, and the DVD's I've made include 4 episodes per DVD with custom titles and thumbnails I selected for each recording. The editing function of this recorder is pretty easy to use and the manual is pretty good. The VCR in it also plays well although I haven't checked the recording or tuner features yet.

So far, I'm happy with it. When I finish recording these episodes I'll hook up my attic antenna and see how the ATSC reception and live recording from OTA broadcasts works out, and I'll report back.

A couple of features that are missing from this unit that I'd like to have are a cable "mouse" or other device that would allow it to control a cable box (I know it has built in tuners, but I still could use it with premium channels and other digital content more easily if I could have it change channels for me on the cable box). The other thing it (surprisingly) doesn't have is component video input although it does have component output. The inputs are limited to RF, S-video, & composite video, and I'd have preferred to connect my cable box to it via component video if it had them.

The DVD's are very good though, and that is the primary reason I bought it. I will do some live OTA DVD recording and see how the DVD's play on my 42" plasma...

Chuck
post #14 of 48 Old 04-21-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Note: Mine is the EZ37V, not the 37K with the HDMI output. My bad, but i'm leaving my review up anyway--H

I've replaced my nearly 2 year old Panny DMR-ES10 (its now in the hamshack to record TV DX) with this one. Since the VCR was also in the "shack", this allows me to watch the large tape collection (commercial and home taping) on my living room HDTV (26" CRT monitor w/E* STB) thats accumlated.

The digital tuner....

I'm in a non-cable area and the built in ATSC tuner is an advantage since I don't take the E* locals anymore. The receiver is far better on multipath rejection and sensitivity than the E* 811, USD FTA box (Hisense DB2010), or RS Accurian although it does not display 720p/1080i. The OTA digital channels can be added directly by their physical (RF) number and if detected the proper PSIP info will be added into memory. There isn't a real program guide to the tuner although 2 presses of the remote's "status" button will display the current program and the upcoming one. When a disc is finalized, the Program title from the PSIP is automaticly added to the title. I cannot comment on the QAM tuner as of yet. My location is 40mi from the nearest towers and using a CM4228 antenna w/7777preamp (and a small VHF log-perodic for DT 5)

The DVD recorder....

Pretty much the same as the ES-10 although it adds +-DL recording and playback, and +RW which the ES-10 didn't. Dolby Digital recording is claimed, but i've not recorded a 5.1 show yet (our ABC is only 2.0 at present). RAM support and chase play are the big reasons i'm partial to Panny DVD-R's. BTW, i was able to play a RAM disc (unfinalized) recorded in it on my old ES-10.

The VCR....

One thing that the manual states and this may not be a deal breaker for some, but the VCR cannot record digital channels from the internal tuner--only analog (OTA/cable). I still have many VHS tapes and simply not the time to convert all to DVD. The PQ of the VCR on a commerical tape that is in good condition is good (over the component outputs) and the sound via the digital out (optical) works well with the Pro-Logic mode of my HT. It won't fool anyone into thinking its 5.1, but it works well.

Bottom line, its not the cheapest DVD-R/VCR but its DVD recording quailty on 1-2 hour modes is wonderful. 4 hour will work for 4x3 SD programs okay, but forget the 6hr+ modes on the DVD-R

post #15 of 48 Old 04-21-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA View Post

[b][i]The VCR....

One thing that the manual states and this may not be a deal breaker for some, but the VCR cannot record digital channels from the internal tuner--only analog (OTA/cable).

OK. You just convinced me. I'm buying the LG!
post #16 of 48 Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:

[One thing that the manual states and this may not be a deal breaker for some, but the VCR cannot record digital channels from the internal tuner--only analog (OTA/cable).

Any ideas on how this compares to some of the other combo units? For all I know, thay all do it.
post #17 of 48 Old 04-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

[b][i]

The digital tuner....

I'm in a non-cable area and the built in ATSC tuner is an advantage since I don't take the E* locals anymore. The receiver is far better on multipath rejection and sensitivity than the E* 811, USD FTA box (Hisense DB2010), or RS Accurian although it does not display 720p/1080i. The OTA digital channels can be added directly by their physical (RF) number and if detected the proper PSIP info will be added into memory. There isn't a real program guide to the tuner although 2 presses of the remote's "status" button will display the current program and the upcoming one. When a disc is finalized, the Program title from the PSIP is automaticly added to the title. I cannot comment on the QAM tuner as of yet. My location is 40mi from the nearest towers and using a CM4228 antenna w/7777preamp (and a small VHF log-perodic for DT 5)

When not recording, just using the tuner for OTA, will it output 720p to your set or is it down converted?

tia

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
post #18 of 48 Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

When not recording, just using the tuner for OTA, will it output 720p to your set or is it down converted?

tia

Downconverted.

post #19 of 48 Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Bummer

Wonder why?

post #20 of 48 Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Downconverted.

Does this mean all the new Panasonic DVD recorders with digital tuner cannot be used as a digital set top box for HDTV?
post #21 of 48 Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propel View Post

Does this mean all the new Panasonic DVD recorders with digital tuner cannot be used as a digital set top box for HDTV?

So far, all new DVD recorders with digital tuners that have been released cannot be used as set top HD tuners. None pass the native HD signal, all downconvert to 480i.

- kelson h

post #22 of 48 Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

So far, all new DVD recorders with digital tuners that have been released cannot be used as set top HD tuners. None pass the native HD signal, all downconvert to 480i.

Which is why you should wait for some reviews of the other Panasonic unit that hasn't been released yet, the DMR-EZ47K. At least it has a HDMI output, so I give it a better chance of having it.
post #23 of 48 Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 AM

Does anyone know for sure if this unit upverts to 1080i via HDMI? The panny website leads me to believe no but amazon says yes.
post #24 of 48 Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffarrar` View Post

Does anyone know for sure if this unit upverts to 1080i via HDMI? The panny website leads me to believe no but amazon says yes.

The Panasonic website clearly specifies the EZ-27 & EZ-47 as having 1080 upconvert through the HDMI output. That is the main difference between the EZ-17&37 vs. the EZ-27&47. No indication anywhere in the specs that it does other than upconvert - i.e. no HD pass-through.

- kelson h

post #25 of 48 Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post

Which is why you should wait for some reviews of the other Panasonic unit that hasn't been released yet, the DMR-EZ47K. At least it has a HDMI output, so I give it a better chance of having it.

There is also the DMR-EZ27K which is the same as the DMR-EZ47K, but without a VCR.

I was one of the "more hopefull" enthusiasts for the first crop of ATSC recorders having HDTV passthrough, but it hasn't happened on any of them, and I can't see it happening now. For people wondering why it hasn't happened, if you wade through the long thread in this forum about "DVRs with ATSC tuners", you'll see alot of discussion about this. Basically, SD tuners were dropped in to replace the NTSC tuners, which would be the lowest cost way to transition the prior products. This is not a big money making segment for big name outfits like Panasonic, so....

- Rich
post #26 of 48 Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

The EZ27 manual lets you select between 480i and 480p.

Shouldn't 720p and/or 1080p be an option too?

post #27 of 48 Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 AM

Just now seeing the first reviews on Amazon.com for this unit. Listed under the silver colored model. Got bad reviews mostly because Amazon says it has HDMI output, but it doesn't. Otherwise fine.

Still waiting for the 47 model to get reviewed.
post #28 of 48 Old 04-27-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

This is definitely a deal breaker. I understand why you cannot record native hd. But going thru downconversion and upconversion to watch live hd programs is pretty stupid.
post #29 of 48 Old 04-27-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enier View Post

This is definitely a deal breaker. I understand why you cannot record native hd. But going thru downconversion and upconversion to watch live hd programs is pretty stupid.

Yup! They'd have made a lot more sales, IMHO, if they had passthrough.

- Rich
post #30 of 48 Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

The EZ27 manual lets you select between 480i and 480p.
Shouldn't 720p and/or 1080p be an option too?

Did you mean the EZ17/37 manual? Since the 17/37 only has component outs, it will only give you 480i/p resolution option IIRC. I downloaded the EZ27 manual the other day and it shows the 480/720/1080 HDMI output options on p40.

I'm waiting with interest for the EZ27 to show up in stores. I may trade in my Phillips 3505 for the RAM capability and supposed better image quality at longer recording times of the Panny. I see it on WM's and a few other online sites, but I was just at my local store last night and didn't see any on the shelves.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page