Samsung DVD-AR650 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 253 Old 11-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this machine is a piece of crap DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!!. Mine looks fine with little movemant on the tv but when there is action it looks so bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 253 Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmohl1 View Post

this machine is a piece of crap DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!!. Mine looks fine with little movemant on the tv but when there is action it looks so bad

It's been a while since I tried this recorder, but from what I remember my recordings looked fine, so it is possible that you got a defecetive unit. Anyways, even if you do get decent results, this model has so many problems and flaws, that it's only a matter of time before you discover something else you can't live with. Don't waste your time and money buying different media, just get rid of it and try something else.
post #183 of 253 Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM

what model would you recommend?
post #184 of 253 Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what model would you recommend?

Well that depends on your needs and budget. If you want to spend the money and can find it, get the Philips 3575. After trying about 10 different ones, I kept an LG DR787T, but I had very specific needs for that particular model, that no other one could match. If $300 is too much, the Philips 3505 was my second best favorite, the only thing that bothered me about it was the slow channel changes of its tuner. I can't remember I think you were connecting an external box, so that won't matter to you.
post #185 of 253 Old 11-12-2007, 10:51 AM

well here is the deal right now i have it connected with my sattelite reciever but pretty soon it will just be to regular cable......money is not an issue i want the best recorder that will give me a good picture nothing to special.....what was your specific needs!
post #186 of 253 Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well here is the deal right now i have it connected with my sattelite reciever but pretty soon it will just be to regular cable......money is not an issue i want the best recorder that will give me a good picture nothing to special.....what was your specific needs!

Region hack, 12 bit/108Mhz digital-to-analog converter, fast channel changes, memory of the channel line up when you switch between cable and OTA.

I don't record too much, mostly use the recorder as a tuner for my projector and as a player for comercially released DVDs, but people who do a lot of recording can't live without a hard drive, that's why I suggested the Philips 3575, it is getting the best reviews of the currently available hard drive models. This doesn't mean much though, because there are only three to choose from and the other two are from Polaroid and Magnavox.
post #187 of 253 Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 PM

so you think i should try the phillips 3575? wanna record some games on nba league pass so
post #188 of 253 Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wally Mart . com shows this as a discontinued model...maybe something new from Samsung is in the works?
post #189 of 253 Old 11-17-2007, 04:50 PM

How or what is required to get the EPG to work? I only get a red slashed circle. Is it failing for the same reason auto clock does not function? Btw I am in Chicago zip 60640.
post #190 of 253 Old 11-19-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The EPG data is sent automatically, all you have to do is watch a channel.

If it is not there, then it is either the station or the DVD recorder.

The EPG only works if the stations are sending data, check on the Chicago forum if the stations send EPG data.

You could try to reset the system, some machines reset by holding the power button down.
post #191 of 253 Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Thanks, apparently it only works when I press the correct button.

Signed, Feeling Stupid.
post #192 of 253 Old 11-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBri99 View Post

You could try to reset the system, some machines reset by holding the power button down.

From my call to Tech Support, the reset mechanism is to hold the up and down channel buttons at the same time on the recorder itself for 8 seconds. It also will tell you firmware rev and other system info.

But it didn't help my new-out-of-the-box system that arrived able to play cable channels but not able to play any DVD. These were all DVDs that played fine in the old-but-dead Panasonic changer and in my live-but-not-progressive Sampo player. Got it in the mail Friday, found it wouldn't do DVDs Friday night, and learned from the etailer Sunday (they are closed on Saturday) that they were discontinued. In fact, the sales fellow I spoke with today was surprised; "Looks like they were discontinued immediately".

A shame. I'm getting an LG unit from them instead (LG DR787T).

I'm not getting another Panasonic because I was not pleased with a) the way my Panasonic changer was terrible at reading a less-than-perfect disc, nor b) the way their customer support handled my call when it recently died. And c) Lots of complaints on Consumer Reports' web site about Panasonic products.
post #193 of 253 Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently purchased one of these and it's definitely going back...my list of issues:
1. EPG worked briefly and now I can't get it to display no matter what
2. First recording I attempted froze every few seconds during playback
3. Second recording froze every few seconds, lost audio on portions that didn't freeze and I got a glimpse of the recording I did earlier (which should have been wiped out with the formatting) right in the middle of playback.
4. Severe undersan on the top of the screen

I would blame my media (verbatim DVD-RW) but it worked fine in my old Sony recorder. Even so, I don't think that would have anything to do with the EPG crapping out.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #194 of 253 Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM

I also recently purchased this DVD recorder. It was brand new, factory sealed box. Nothing from ebay or a recycled (returned and resealed) from Wal-Mart.

The QAM tuner works great. The HD shows that I record, play back extremely good, even if it is upconverted 480.

I am using RAM DVD's and at first, had problems with freezing and skipping even though I had the Samsung format the disc several times.

Tried a different type RAM disc (both were Panasonic, the first had a white imprinted label, the other type didn't) and the last few recordings are perfect.

I'm running Comcast line directly in, no cable box. HDMI to TV. I'm quite happy with mine. I might also add, the programming guide doesn't work with digital cable,only digital off air.
post #195 of 253 Old 12-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Warning !!
Don't buy this DVD-R as an Hi-Def tuner.
I just canceled my order because there is a Cnet review whre they found that the dvdar650 decodes HiDef content only up to 480p, then it upconvert the signal to 1080i.
This means that the HiDef content is crippled to half its resolution.

So I guess I'm getting the Samsung DTB-H260F instead as my tuner solution which it really shows true broadcast HD 1080i and 720p.

I'm aware that so far no DVD-R can record in full HiDEf resolution, but at least these should show the full HD content as it is broadcasted when using it as a tuner.

Another warning, I've never owned it, but just a comment that nobody seems to be aware off.
post #196 of 253 Old 12-08-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We are all waiting to see if the next generation of DVD recorders will pass HD to monitor (even if it records in 480p).

For now, a PC tuner recording HD is one solution.
post #197 of 253 Old 12-08-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem View Post

I'm aware that so far no DVD-R can record in full HiDEf resolution, but at least these should show the full HD content as it is broadcasted when using it as a tuner.

Another warning, I've never owned it, but just a comment that nobody seems to be aware off.

It is fairly well known on this forum that no current DVDR with digital tuner passes a native HD signal through it's tuner.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #198 of 253 Old 12-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem View Post

Warning !!
Don't buy this DVD-R as an Hi-Def tuner.
So I guess I'm getting the Samsung DTB-H260F instead as my tuner solution which it really shows true broadcast HD 1080i and 720p.

The only bad thing about the Samsung DTB-H260F is that it can't be programmed to change channels on it's own. So, if you hook it to recorder, you have to make sure it's powered on and tuned to the correct channel for timer recordings.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #199 of 253 Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 PM

Let me give a little advice about 'media'. I have two Panasonic DVD recorders in use, beside the Samsung that I recently bought.

I had DVD-R and DVD-RAM disc, from different manufacturers on hand. The Maxell DVD-R's, which worked perfect in the Panasonic, would lock up in less than 10 seconds in the Samsung. Picture would freeze up on the TV, recorder got VERY noisy. The RAM's worked OK. Glad I didn't try another brand of DVD-R,s. ...instead I went to Wal-Mart and got a spindle of Maxell DVD-RW (15 for $12.99). They are great. No problems. After you insert one, you initialize it, then you can go to disc manager and format it as a DVD-VR (re-recordable) or as a DVD-V . If you choose DVD-V, then finalize it after recording it'll play in most DVD players sold . Maybe if your having problems with the disc your using, these may solve your problem. I feel fortunate, I got something that worked so good the first time.
post #200 of 253 Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 PM

hi.

got this today at Wally World after returning Panny EZ27 and EZ17 AND
the LG DR787T back to BBuy.
Had issues with the above.

On this unit-- it seems, as the posts say, to be very responsive to DVD functions and its very quiet-- well the DVD sounds quiet.

I also have RCA DRC 8030N too.

My question is that the QAM channels to me look like they -- well are not that....they seem analog even though that green light is lit saying DTV.
The reason I suspect this is.....the other units had probs with the QAM in that they were the size of a postage stamp-- esp on the panny.
Maybe its just this unit but on the LG and Panny -- I can totally tell the difference from analog.

If this green light is on-- does this 100% mean this is a digital channel?
Im not too convinced about this though.

thnx
post #201 of 253 Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 PM

If this green light is on-- does this 100% mean this is a digital channel?
Im not too convinced about this though.

thnx[/quote]

Yes, the green light means your receiving a digital signal.

But, by default the recorder is set to display a 480p resolution. You may have to change this in your menu settings.

I have mine connected via HDMI and set for 720p output to match my TV. A great picture!

Check page 40 in the instruction manual for more help.
post #202 of 253 Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 PM

[/quote]

Yes, the green light means your receiving a digital signal.

But, by default the recorder is set to display a 480p resolution. You may have to change this in your menu settings.

I have mine connected via HDMI and set for 720p output to match my TV. A great picture!

Check page 40 in the instruction manual for more help.[/quote]

heya, thnx for the info.

Its still kinda odd about the QAM channels cause on my other ATSC tuner.....
A Magnovox- it shows this......94.32 as CBS but ALSO 2.1 as CBS as well....etc...(same for all others)

The 2.1 channel on the Magnovox is wayyyyyy clearer/louder/sharper than the 94.32 one which again are both CBS.
This still makes me question if the CBS channel as 94.32 on the Samsung is true QAM (oooops not to quote a Verizon ad-- lol)

The Samsung ONLY shows the 94.32 as CBS and it still looks crappy like analog to me and doesnt tune in 2.1 etc.

Only way to prove it is to get a roof or indoor antenna and see what it pulls in and what the channel #s show.
post #203 of 253 Old 12-21-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sadly I have agree with this...I wish "looking like crap with movement" was the only issue that mine had. I have never owned any piece of consumer electronics that had as many crippling bugs as the AR650. Take every problem you've heard about in this thread and add "format only erases some of the info on the disk" to mine if you want details..

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #204 of 253 Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
That's a new one, I have to say.
post #205 of 253 Old 12-23-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

That's a new one, I have to say.

Yes, it's quite disconcerting to have bits and pieces of video that you thought was formatted over show up on a new recording. That was a first for me also..

post #206 of 253 Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 AM

Received my AR650 is about 2 months ago, and Samsung HDTV this week.
AR650 plays commercial DVDs fine via component or composite connections.
HDTV will not display signal from AR650 via HDMI cable when playing a standard commercial DVD. The HDMI cable is the latest 1.3a standard. HDTV shows the HDMI signal present, but only displays a solid blue screen. It also says "HDMI Audio not supported" when it first looks at the signal. Interestingly it will show my home DVD-Rs recorded on the AR650.
Could it be a DVD encryption problem? The AR650 might be encrypting the commercial DVD (HDCP), but the HDTV can't decode the signal from the HDMI cable. Should I try an older HDMI cable?
post #207 of 253 Old 01-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvhalf View Post

Received my AR650 is about 2 months ago, and Samsung HDTV this week.
AR650 plays commercial DVDs fine via component or composite connections.
HDTV will not display signal from AR650 via HDMI cable when playing a standard commercial DVD. The HDMI cable is the latest 1.3a standard. HDTV shows the HDMI signal present, but only displays a solid blue screen. It also says "HDMI Audio not supported" when it first looks at the signal. Interestingly it will show my home DVD-Rs recorded on the AR650.
Could it be a DVD encryption problem? The AR650 might be encrypting the commercial DVD (HDCP), but the HDTV can't decode the signal from the HDMI cable. Should I try an older HDMI cable?

Do you have any other connections simultaniously with your HDMI? If so, unplug them and leave only the HDMI hooked up.
post #208 of 253 Old 02-03-2008, 02:21 PM

I disconnected the component cables and reset the AR650 (pushing up & down channel arrows for 5 sec). Same blue screen when DVD is started, altho I get just a flash of the picture when Play is started.
HDMI works when DVD is used as a tuner, or when playing DVDs I recorded off the air. Only copyright protected DVDs won't play. Sounds like the AR650 is encrypting the HDMI signal (using Hi Def Copy Protection, I guess), but HDTV can't decrypt signal.
Thanks for your reply.
post #209 of 253 Old 02-23-2008, 01:15 PM

hi. i just joined this av forum, and i'm not quite sure how it works. but i see you're on line now, and i see that you're knowledgeable of the samsung ar-650. i need some help. i recently bought this dvr model for my 82-year old mom, and she wants it to play her music cds. the instruction manual says that it should play standard audio cds, but the machine can't load the cds. have you ever seen this problem discussed/solved in this forum? thanks in advance for your help.
post #210 of 253 Old 02-23-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
It should play them. Unless they are CD-R/RW's, in which case many machines can be very picky about which ones of those they choose to play.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page