post #61 of 113 Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHank View Post

DigaDo, but I'm a member of the "Great Unwashed" when it comes to electronic ability. I also want to transfer a large number of VHS tapes to DVD. I cannot possibly even "imagine" ways of hooking up old VHS players to this *monstrosity* you suggest. Hard drives in a DVD recorder? I can't even get used to this idea in my computer! * I 'jus puut thing in slot undt poosh booton!* (my best German accent). No, my new item has to look like something I'm used to looking at or I'm too intimidated to try it. Thanks

The AVS Forum consists of folks asking questions and other folks answering those questions and providing advice based upon their personal experience.

Here's some advice. Be sure to keep your old VCR so that you may connect it to an input on whatever DVD recorder or combo recorder you purchase. Why is that? As you begin to transfer a large number of VHS tapes to DVD with a combo recorder you may find that the VHS section may not satisfactorily track your VHS tapes. Those that have "been there, done that" suggest using the VCR that originally recorded the tapes as the player in a dubbing/copying project.

I am just one of those that have "been there, done that," as described here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13955310

My project transferring around 5,200 titles to DVD took ten months, usually with four 2005/2006 Panasonics combo recorders and two 1996 Toshiba VCRs running up to sixteen hours a day (and sometimes with seven Panasonic 2005/2006 combo recorders and DVD recorders running up to eighteen hours a day).

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 113 Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The AVS Forum consists of folks asking questions and other folks answering those questions and providing advice based upon their personal experience.

Here's some advice. Be sure to keep your old VCR so that you may connect it to an input on whatever DVD recorder or combo recorder you purchase. Why is that? As you begin to transfer a large number of VHS tapes to DVD with a combo recorder you may find that the VHS section may not satisfactorily track your VHS tapes. Those that have "been there, done that" suggest using the VCR that originally recorded the tapes as the player in a dubbing/copying project.

I am just one of those that have "been there, done that," as described here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13955310

My project transferring around 5,200 titles to DVD took ten months, usually with four 2005/2006 Panasonics combo recorders and two 1996 Toshiba VCRs running up to sixteen hours a day (and sometimes with seven Panasonic 2005/2006 combo recorders and DVD recorders running up to eighteen hours a day).

Because of everything I have read in many forums I purchased, but have not yet received a 2160. From what I have read there is not made a DVD/VRC Recorder w/Digital Tuner that is worth buying right? Now my other question is, how do you hook up a VCR to the 2160 to transfer VHS to DVD?
post #63 of 113 Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins1lrb View Post

Because of everything I have read in many forums I purchased, but have not yet received a 2160. From what I have read there is not made a DVD/VRC Recorder w/Digital Tuner that is worth buying right? Now my other question is, how do you hook up a VCR to the 2160 to transfer VHS to DVD?

As to VCR/2160 connections, the VCR composite video (yellow) out is connected to the 2160 composite video (yellow) in; the VCR audio (white and red) out is connected to the 2160 audio (white and red) in. Record to the hard drive from the input fed from the VCR. Choose recording speeds/durations that will allow fitting the desired recordings to a DVD through the use of the high speed dubbing feature. The recordings may be edited before high speed dubbing to DVD.

See wajo's sticky thread for a wealth of information, some of which (such as front and end cut editing) may not be found in the Owner's Manual:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

I suggest that one should become familiar with the operation and use of these products before purchase. Owner/user comments and online owner's manuals are especially good sources of information.

Some folks may find current DVD/VHS combo recorders satisfactory for their use. I do not.

Most of my DVD recorders and combo recorders are Panasonics.

With the Panasonic 2005 model year I found that the DMR-ES30V combo recorder exceeded my performance expectations so I purchased two of that model. My daughter familiarized herself with my DMR-ES30V models and also purchased two of that model. (I also purchased a 2005 DMR-ES40V combo recorder that did not meet my minumum performance expectations. I wouldn't have made that $270 mistake if I had read the DMR-ES40V Operating Instructions before purchasing that model.)

With the Panasonic 2006 model year the DMR-ES35V combo recorder exceeded my performance expectations so I purchased five of that model, and four DMR-ES15 DVD recorders. (The 2006 model year also had the DMR-ES45V and DMR-ES46V combo recorders that would also exceed my performance expectations. I did not purchase those more expensive models as they had HDMI and upconverting features that I did not need.) I also purchased two DMR-ES35V parts machines in the summer of 2007, and one of the DMR-ES15 models become a parts machine back in September 2008.

After reading the Operating Instructions and inquiring with Panasonic I did not purchase 2007 or 2008 model year Panasonic combo recorders because they did not meet my minimum performance expectations. I did purchase four 2007 DMR-EZ17 DVD recorders and one 2008 DMR-EZ28 DVD recorder. These models proved to have bugs and design flaws, requiring various workarounds (see other threads for that information) in order to keep them functional. If one must purchase a Panasonic EZ series recorder I suggest the DMR-EZ28 DVD recorder as a satisfactory choice. I do not recommend Panasonic EZ series combo recorders. The recent tunerless DMR-EA18 DVD recorder is supposed to be more reliable than tuner-equipped models. Despite the bugs and design flaws Panasonics provide outstanding picture quality. This quality comes with a premium price for new Pansonic recorders. With the high incidence of EZ series customer returns, "open-box" and Panasonic "factory refurbished" EZ series recorders are attractively priced.

I've purchased a 2007 Philips 3575, a 2008 Magnavox 2080 and a 2009 Magnavox 2160, all HDD/DVD recorders. These have been proving themselves more flexible and reliable than the Panasonic EZ series recorders. While the Panasonics provide very good picture quality out to four hours per DVD (XP, SP, LP or FR), I limit the Philips/Magnavox recordings to no more than three hours per DVD (HQ, SP, SPP or LP) in order to maintain picture quality.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #64 of 113 Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 AM

DigaDo, I've been looking at the machine you've suggested and also the setup program that Wajo sent. (about the 2160). I like to use the "Zoom" feature "on the fly", that is to instantly zoom in or zoom out on "lions eating antelope or even the Sports Illustrated swinsuit competions" (smile) It looks as though the zoom on this (2160) and the Mag. ZV450MW8 is not designed for this kind of instant on-off use. Toshiba has always had the best zoom features that enable you to simply press "Zoom" and increase or decrease the size of the frame(s) or the whole movie, does the Toshiba D-VR660 have this "zoom" button?. You mentioned machine *manuals* where can I find and read these manuals? You are obviously a professional, can the ordinary general public have access to this information? (I did not mean to call the 2160 a "monstrosity" it's just so intimidating please forgive me) Thanks again.
post #65 of 113 Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DigaDo, I've been looking at the machine you've suggested and also the setup program that Wajo sent. (about the 2160). I like to use the "Zoom" feature "on the fly . . . You mentioned machine *manuals* where can I find and read these manuals? You are obviously a professional, can the ordinary general public have access to this information? (I did not mean to call the 2160 a "monstrosity" it's just so intimidating please forgive me) Thanks again.

A $40 DVD player will have many more playback features than a DVD recorder. The primary purpose of DVD recorders is to record DVDs.

Technology is not my field. I'm just a fan of early talkies through the film noir era. At first I purchased one 2005 Panasonic DMR-ES30V combo recorder to record from Turner Classic Movies. When I realized that one combo recorder couldn't begin to handle time-shifting from TCM and transferring selected portions of my near twenty years of home-recorded videotapes from The Nostalgia Channel, AMC, and TCM, I purchased a second DMR-ES30V, and then a DMR-ES35V, and another, and another, and, well . . . Then, with heavy use I started to "service" (clean the DVD Drive rubber hubs) and make other needed adjustments. When I encountered a few problems (after the warranties expired) I purchased "parts machines" and learned to swap parts and make minor repairs in order to avoid "down time." Then, I learned to replace a capacitor in one model. Then, well, . . .

Most brands post PDF versions of owner's manuals at their websites under "support" or Customer Service.

Toshiba owner's manuals may be accessed from this page:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customersupport/

Magnavox owner's manuals (and those of some other Funai brands) may be accessed from this page:

http://www.funai-corp.com/support/manuals.aspx

Philips owner's manuals may be accessed by finding the model description and then clicking on user manual:

http://www.support.philips.com/suppo...rch_result.xsl

Panasonic Operating Instructions may be accessed from this page:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/operman/default.aspx

post #66 of 113 Old 02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
The Nostalgia Channel? I never heard of it. What provider do you have?
post #67 of 113 Old 02-14-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

The Nostalgia Channel? I never heard of it. What provider do you have?

When we first got cable the franchise was held by Rogers, a Canadian company. They, and subsequent franchises offered The Nostalgia Channel until some time in 1990 when it was dropped in favor of AMC.

The Nostalgia Channel subsequently became the American Life Network:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmericanLife_TV_Network

post #68 of 113 Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 AM

WoW! Thanks DigaDo, but my computer is so slow that when I did arrive at the Toshiba site and "pulled up" the PDF format I found that the information that I wanted (about the Zoom feature) was on page 70! I tried to access this page and found that I could only load "one page at a time!" and each page took about 30 seconds to load! Not having that much time, I still don't know whether or not the Toshiba D-VR660 has a "Zoom" button on the remote. But thanks anyway. I'll try again when I have more time.
post #69 of 113 Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 AM

My zv450mw8 plays dvd's fine but does not play sound on vhs. I want to record from vhs to dvd. Can someone help me with this vcr muted problem? I have tried everything I can think of.

Also, this is my first post/reply on this site. Hope someone can help me.
post #70 of 113 Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'll guess at a few things. First is there a audio button on your Maggy remote? Maybe try toggling that to different outputs. HiFi, Left, Right, Mono?
Another thing, is your tape commercial or one that you or someone else recorded?
If it's a home recorded tape it's possible it only has the mono or hifi audio tracks. I would think?? the Maggy has both linear and hifi heads but if not, well you can see where I'm going, or it's possible the Maggy is having problems with either the linear or hifi heads that might not show up on all tapes.
The best test for that would be to record something to VHS on your Maggy and then play it back to see if it works with sound.
post #71 of 113 Old 02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WoW! Thanks DigaDo, but my computer is so slow that when I did arrive at the Toshiba site and "pulled up" the PDF format I found that the information that I wanted (about the Zoom feature) was on page 70! I tried to access this page and found that I could only load "one page at a time!" and each page took about 30 seconds to load! Not having that much time, I still don't know whether or not the Toshiba D-VR660 has a "Zoom" button on the remote. But thanks anyway. I'll try again when I have more time.

The Toshiba D-VR660 PDF manual is about 20MB, a slow download on dial-up. Once it's "done" downloading you may save the manual to your computer's hard drive. That will make it easier (and faster) to move around in the manual and enlarge the pages for easier reading. The ZOOM button is on the lower right corner of the remote, see the illustration on page 12, with a detailed description of the ZOOM feature on page 70.

post #72 of 113 Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:

The Toshiba D-VR660 PDF manual is about 20MB, a slow download on dial-up. Once it's "done" downloading you may save the manual to your computer's hard drive. That will make it easier (and faster) to move around in the manual and enlarge the pages for easier reading. The ZOOM button is on the lower right corner of the remote, see the illustration on page 12, with a detailed description of the ZOOM feature on page 70.

Thanks so much DigaDo! Seriously, you have given me more correct information and help with a few short posts than "Radio Shack, HH Gregg, Best Buy, Walmart, and K-Mart combined! *NO ONE* at these establishments has had the kind of information pertaining to or *any* concept of what I was talking about! One more question (for now) I will connect the Toshiba D-VR660 to my "on the roof" antenna, and then to my converter box (with APT) and then to my analog TV. This will allow me to record one digital "over the air" program while watching another right?

As for my love of the "Zoom" feature: I have a 54" analog projection TV. Most of today's DVD movies are in the "Letterbox" (postage stamp) format. So I am looking at a picture size that's 40% smaller than the screen! This drives me crazy so I "zoom" it in (crop) to the first enlargement and this helps to quiet me down so my wife can enjoy the movie. Imagine if they broadcast the *SUPER BOWL* in this format and tried to tell the audience that by looking at this postage sized picture they could actually *SEE MORE*! What would happen to their sponsors when we protested by not buying their products? We should "rise up" and boycott the movie industry (or something) until they understand that without us they don't have a movie industry! Anyway, that's why I must have a "zoom on the fly" feature. Thanks again
post #73 of 113 Old 02-16-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks so much DigaDo! Seriously, you have given me more correct information and help with a few short posts than "Radio Shack, HH Gregg, Best Buy, Walmart, and K-Mart combined! *NO ONE* at these establishments has had the kind of information pertaining to or *any* concept of what I was talking about! One more question (for now) I will connect the Toshiba D-VR660 to my "on the roof" antenna, and then to my converter box (with APT) and then to my analog TV. This will allow me to record one digital "over the air" program while watching another right?

As for my love of the "Zoom" feature: I have a 54" analog projection TV. Most of today's DVD movies are in the "Letterbox" (postage stamp) format. So I am looking at a picture size that's 40% smaller than the screen! This drives me crazy so I "zoom" it in (crop) to the first enlargement and this helps to quiet me down so my wife can enjoy the movie. Imagine if they broadcast the *SUPER BOWL* in this format and tried to tell the audience that by looking at this postage sized picture they could actually *SEE MORE*! What would happen to their sponsors when we protested by not buying their products? We should "rise up" and boycott the movie industry (or something) until they understand that without us they don't have a movie industry! Anyway, that's why I must have a "zoom on the fly" feature. Thanks again

The connections that allow recording one digital program and watching another with a combo recorder, like the Toshiba 660, have the antenna connected to a splitter with one feed to the converter box that is, in turn, connected to the TV's threaded RF antenna in connector. The splitter's other feed would be connected to the 660's threaded RF antenna in connection and, depending upon what other inputs are available on your TV, connect the 660 to the TV with one of those inputs, say composite video (yellow RCA) and audio (white and red RCA), or component video (red, green blue RCA) and audio (white and red RCA), or S-Video (round with four pins) and audio (white and red RCA). Then use your TV remote to select among the inputs for viewing/setting up recordings and other purposes. The drawback when splitting the signal in this manner will be some loss of picture quality.

Since a combo recorder, like the Tosiba 660, modulates the RF output there will be limits to connectivity and functionality. Now, if you were to choose a DVD recorder without a VHS section the unmodulated RF output would allow connecting the antenna directly to the DVD recorder with the recorder's threaded RF output connected to TV's threaded RF input with no loss in signal quality or the analog pass through digital converter box could be connected to the DVD recorder's RF output and then to the TVs RF input. The DVD recorder outputs, component, S-Video or composite would be connected to the corresponding TV input. One good feature of the Philips 3576 and Magnavox 2160 HDD/DVD recorders is that these models amplify the unmodulated threaded RF output. You really need to visit Wajo's sticky thread for more information concerning these models:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

Once a DVD recorder's aspect ratios are selected in the setup menu the recorder will record images in that manner. It is the aspect ratios chosen with the TV's remote that determines what you will see on the screen. You will need to experiment in order to find the display settings that you want.

The Zoom function on a DVD recorder may be useful if you want to closely study someone's earlobe but not much else.

post #74 of 113 Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since a combo recorder, like the Tosiba 660, modulates the RF output there will be limits to connectivity and functionality.

The Zoom function on a DVD recorder may be useful if you want to closely study someone's earlobe but not much else.

Some combo units (Panasonic for sure) allow you to turn OFF the RF modulator. It's usually in the setup.
AFA the zoom function, users of the new Panasonic EZ-x8 series watching on a 4x3 TV report it's zoom function nicly crops off the sides of 16:9 programs to completely fill the screen. Some DVD players (like my Sonys) leave a annoying magnifying glass icon on the screen when in Zoom mode. Not very good for watching a while movie but OK when "studying someone's earlobe"
Personally I get a better Picture when zooming on my digital TV but very few analog TVs have zoom features.
post #75 of 113 Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 AM

DigaDo, I was told that all I had to do to connect the DVD Combo (Toshiba 660) and (Mag ZV450) was to Connect the roof ant In to the DVD/VCR "In" then the DVD/VCR "out" to the converter box "In", then the converter box "out" to the TV. No red, white, or yellow connections are nescessary. When the DVD is recording, it will not "let go" of the channel it is recording until the timer expires. The converter box is then used to "grab" another channel from the same coax (there are hundreds available in every coax) and display it on the TV. (Just as we do every day on analog). To play back digital recordings from the DVD player, you set the converter box to channel 3 or 4 and it converts the digital signal to analog. This is all done with no other connections than mentioned. What do you think?
post #76 of 113 Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DigaDo, I was told that all I had to do to connect the DVD Combo (Toshiba 660) and (Mag ZV450) was to Connect the roof ant In to the DVD/VCR "In" then the DVD/VCR "out" to the converter box "In", then the converter box "out" to the TV. No red, white, or yellow connections are nescessary. When the DVD is recording, it will not "let go" of the channel it is recording until the timer expires. The converter box is then used to "grab" another channel from the same coax (there are hundreds available in every coax) and display it on the TV. (Just as we do every day on analog). To play back digital recordings from the DVD player, you set the converter box to channel 3 or 4 and it converts the digital signal to analog. This is all done with no other connections than mentioned. What do you think?

The simple connection suggested to you will prevent the desired operational flexibility you mentioned in your 2/11/2008 post. If your CECB is of the "analog pass through" type and it is set to the pass through "mode" that would "work" but the picture quality will be inferior to that found with the connection method mentioned in my earlier post. The simple RF connection method would thwart your plan to watch one channel while recording another channel.

A CECB is designed for the specific purpose of converting digital broadcast signals to an analog format for viewing digital broadcast channels on an analog-tuner TV. With the appropriate antenna and good line-of-sight conditions a CECB will recieve whatever digital broadcast channels are in your area, the same as is true with digital tuner equipped recorders or combo recorders.

Keep in mind the differences between "modulated" and "unmodulated" RF outputs:

1. VHS/DVD combo recorders have modulated RF outputs. A combo recorder will pass through a signal from its RF input to its RF output when the combo recorder is powered off, just like a VCR. When the combo recorder is powered on and is playing or recording a videotape or DVD the RF output is "modulated" with that signal, overriding the pass through signal. The combo recorder ALSO output the signals being produced within the combo recorder itself through the HDMI, component, S-Video and composite video outputs, along with a set of audio outputs, that provide better picture quality (in the order listed) when connected to the corresponding TV input.

2. A DVD recorder or HDD/DVD recorder's RF output is not modulated, and the RF output ONLY passes through the signal from the recorder's RF input. With a DVD recorder or HDD/DVD recorder the signals being produced/processed within the recorder itself are output ONLY through the HDMI, component, S-Video and composite video outputs, along with a set of audio outputs. These connections provide better picture quality (in the order listed) when connected to the corresponding TV input, than a RF connection that mingles video and audio in its signal.

A CECB may be inserted between the RF pass through from an unmodulated RF output of a DVD recorder allowing you to watch one digital channel on your TV while recording another channel on the DVD recorder. When a VHS/DVD combo recorder with a modulated RF output is connected to the input of a CECB you may lose the capability to watch one digital channel on your TV while recording another channel on the combo recorder unless, as Jeff suggested, the modulation may be turned off. See the combo recorder's owner's manual to determine if the "modulation" feature may be turned off.

The "modulated" RF output problem becomes moot with a Magnavox H2160H or Philips 3576 HDD/DVD recorder connected as mentioned in an earlier post.

post #77 of 113 Old 02-17-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for my love of the "Zoom" feature . . . I must have a "zoom on the fly" feature.

Quoting one of my 2/14/2008 posts, "A $40 DVD player will have many more playback features than a DVD recorder. The primary purpose of DVD recorders is to record DVDs."

Last week I purchased a Sony DVP-NS57P DVD player, priced $38.00 at Walmart. This Sony is for use in my bedroom (my main recording center) so I don't have to put wear and tear on that room's Philips 3575 and Magnavox 2080 HDD/DVD recorders and two Panasonic DMR-EZ17 DVD recorders if I want to play a DVD. The Sony has the ZOOM feature.

Don't purchase a DVD recorder for it's playback features. Purchase a DVD player if you want playback features.

post #78 of 113 Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That's Sony is not a bad DVD player. I bought one for my kids room.
I've went through more $19 or $24.95 DVD players than I care to say. My Sonys just keep on going. In the kids room it replaced a $19 Harmon Tec black Friday special of 2 years ago. It probably only played a couple dozen DVDs
post #79 of 113 Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:

The connections that allow recording one digital program and watching another with a combo recorder, like the Toshiba 660, have the antenna connected to a splitter with one feed to the converter box that is, in turn, connected to the TV's threaded RF antenna in connector. The splitter's other feed would be connected to the 660's threaded RF antenna in connection and, depending upon what other inputs are available on your TV, connect the 660 to the TV with one of those inputs, say composite video (yellow RCA) and audio (white and red RCA), or component video (red, green blue RCA) and audio (white and red RCA), or S-Video (round with four pins) and audio (white and red RCA). Then use your TV remote to select among the inputs for viewing/setting up recordings and other purposes. The drawback when splitting the signal in this manner will be some loss of picture quality.

Since a combo recorder, like the Tosiba 660, modulates the RF output there will be limits to connectivity and functionality. Now, if you were to choose a DVD recorder without a VHS section the unmodulated RF output would allow connecting the antenna directly to the DVD recorder with the recorder's threaded RF output connected to TV's threaded RF input with no loss in signal quality or the analog pass through digital converter box could be connected to the DVD recorder's RF output and then to the TVs RF input. The DVD recorder outputs, component, S-Video or composite would be connected to the corresponding TV input. One good feature of the Philips 3576 and Magnavox 2160 HDD/DVD recorders is that these models amplify the unmodulated threaded RF output.

Thanks much DigaDo, but I still don't understand how to set-up the system. Both the Toshiba D-VR660 and the Magnavox ZV450MW8 have *Identical* pages in their respective manuals concerning hook up configuration, and they both say: "RF output is for tuner pass- through only, DVD playback through the RF is not possible". (whatever that means) What I don't quite understand is what to do with the RF? out on the Combo. It appears to be a "screw on" coaxial cable connection. The splitter has one "In" connection and two "out" connections right? One goes to the converter box "In" and then it's "out" coax goes to the TV. The other side of the splitter coax goes to the Combo's "In" but what about the "screw in" connection "out" on the recorder? I know you've said that the "red, yellow, and white cables come from the Combo's "out" slots and then go into the TV's Video, and Audio (L&R) connections but they are not "screw in" inputs are they?. There is nothing left to go to this screw in output is there? I'm afraid that they're going to find me standing in the middle of the freeway during rush hour reciting Scripture at the top of my lungs! HA!! You should be paid for putting up with us! And to make all of this even more confusing is the fact that I currently own and daily use a Toshiba DVD/VCR Combo (analog) that records multiple shows while I'm away, and allows me to watch one channel while viewing another and plays DVD movies (with zoom) all through one simple connection: Antenna to "In" on Combo and antenna "out" to TV! No red, yellow, or white connections. I was happy, and satisfied. But "NOOOOO!!" now this digital change over has made my entertainment life miserable. I might add that the signal from my roof antenna is already split three ways. One to the 54" TV in the living room (which is only used for DVD'S on weekends) and two other TV's in other rooms, one of which is a 34" JVC in my Den where I have all of this equipment that we've been discussing hooked up. Thanks again
post #80 of 113 Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks much DigaDo, but I still don't understand how to set-up the system. Both the Toshiba D-VR660 and the Magnavox ZV450MW8 have *Identical* pages in their respective manuals concerning hook up configuration, and they both say: "RF output is for tuner pass- through only, DVD playback through the RF is not possible". (whatever that means) What I don't quite understand is what to do with the RF? out on the Combo. It appears to be a "screw on" coaxial cable connection. The splitter has one "In" connection and two "out" connections right? One goes to the converter box "In" and then it's "out" coax goes to the TV. The other side of the splitter coax goes to the Combo's "In" but what about the "screw in" connection "out" on the recorder? I know you've said that the "red, yellow, and white cables come from the Combo's "out" slots and then go into the TV's Video, and Audio (L&R) connections but they are not "screw in" inputs are they?. There is nothing left to go to this screw in output is there? I'm afraid that they're going to find me standing in the middle of the freeway during rush hour reciting Scripture at the top of my lungs! HA!! You should be paid for putting up with us! And to make all of this even more confusing is the fact that I currently own and daily use a Toshiba DVD/VCR Combo (analog) that records multiple shows while I'm away, and allows me to watch one channel while viewing another and plays DVD movies (with zoom) all through one simple connection: Antenna to "In" on Combo and antenna "out" to TV! No red, yellow, or white connections. I was happy, and satisfied. But "NOOOOO!!" now this digital change over has made my entertainment life miserable. I might add that the signal from my roof antenna is already split three ways. One to the 54" TV in the living room (which is only used for DVD'S on weekends) and two other TV's in other rooms, one of which is a 34" JVC in my Den where I have all of this equipment that we've been discussing hooked up. Thanks again

The idea is to maintain signal quality by avoiding a split in coax feeds, that's why I suggested the Philips 3576 or Magnavox 2160 with their amplified RF outputs.

A splitter may be used in two ways, an "input" may be used as an "output" and "outputs" may be used as "inputs."

RF coax cable and connectors are threaded with either a press-on or threaded connection.

Component, composite and audio connectors are of the press-on RCA type, color-coded according to purpose. Component video uses the adjacent red/blue/green set, composite video uses the yellow, and both component and composite require the use of the audio white/red set. S-Video is a somewhat larger round connection with pins/sockets, and also requires use of the audio white/red set. HDMI is a flat metal connector/jack that is not found on older TVs.

The owner's manuals you quote deal with the practical reality of an "unmodulated" (threaded) RF output, i.e., RF pass through ONLY with no DVD playback functionality. It appears that these combo recorders do not modulate the RF output, a different arrangement than that of other combo recorders with which I am familiar. That means that viewing a DVD, (and perhaps a videotape as well) is ONLY POSSIBLE through the non RF combo recorder outputs. (For clarification of videotape playback see that section of those user manuals.)

Those manuals indicate that the threaded RF output does not output digital signals. Combo recorders and DVD recorders with digital and analog tuners convert digital signals to analog signals and output those signals through composite and S-Video outputs. HD "ready" TVs (without a digital/HD tuner) will have digital and HD display capability through component and HDMI inputs. A CECB converts digital signals to analog signals and outputs those analog signals through composite and RF (and in a few models, S-Video).

My 2/16 and 2/17 posts describe different connection methods for various purposes. The pertinent connection method suggested in my 2/16 post (is) "the unmodulated RF output would allow connecting the antenna directly to the DVD recorder with the recorder's threaded RF output connected to the TV's threaded RF input with no loss in signal quality or the analog pass through digital converter box could be connected to the DVD recorder's RF output and then to the TVs RF input. The DVD recorder outputs, component, S-Video or composite would be connected to the corresponding TV input . . . Then use your TV remote to select among the inputs for viewing/setting up recordings and other purposes." My 2/17 post clarifies operational characteristics of modulated/unmodulated RF outputs.

The user manuals describe and illustrate different connection methods. Wajo also describes and illustrates different connection methods, found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=10

post #81 of 113 Old 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM

I recently received this from walmart.com. I had intended this as an upgrade to my very reliable Samsung DVD-V1000. I used the Samsung for timer recording and as a "hub" for my Xbox and Xbox 360. The Samsung allowed you to use the DVD player and to switch to other sources while recording to VHS. Also, the Samsung would switch channels to record. The Magnavox requires the unit to be in standby mode which makes it essentially useless. I'm considering returning this unit. Does any company make something like my old Samsung?
post #82 of 113 Old 02-20-2009, 05:36 AM

I neglected to mention that the entire reason for this was to upgrade to a digital tuner.
post #83 of 113 Old 02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grackler View Post

The Magnavox requires the unit to be in standby mode which makes it essentially useless. I'm considering returning this unit. Does any company make something like my old Samsung?

All the Panasonic EZ models (with the digital tuners) require you to have the unit OFF before a scheduled recording will start IMO this was a major step back from the ES/EH series of the past.
post #84 of 113 Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 AM

I bought 2 units at the same time from a WalMart. 1 works as advertised. The second would fast forward when I tried to rewind a tape from the stop mode. Also, when fast forwarding a tape while watching....skipping through the commercials, the sound would stay on, garbled of course. I tried e-mailing to customer service and they just directed me to the warranty dep't. No help. I brought the unit back and exchanged it for another. Found the same unit had a new model number, ZV457MG9. I imagine just the newer version. It works as expected. After seeing the faults on this and other forums it appears the Magnovox name is NOT what it used to be.
post #85 of 113 Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldinosaur View Post

Magnovox name is NOT what it used to be.

Magnavox, like many other DVDR mfgs. has basically sold there name to Funai, the large Chinese electronics company. Funai does make a few decent models but most are very low end cheaper models. The Magnavox 2160 DVDR w/HDD comes to mind as one of there better offerings but it's quite hard to find and at $249 some people think it's not "cheap" enough. You kind of get what you pay for.
post #86 of 113 Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Magnavox, like many other DVDR mfgs. has basically sold there name to Funai, the large Chinese electronics company. Funai does make a few decent models but most are very low end cheaper models. The Magnavox 2160 DVDR w/HDD comes to mind as one of there better offerings but it's quite hard to find and at $249 some people think it's not "cheap" enough. You kind of get what you pay for.

Not to be a nit-picker, but Funai is a large Japanese company that actually manufactures many of its products in China:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funai

Another Wikipedia contributor has disputed some information in that article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Funai#Disputed

post #87 of 113 Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Magnavox, like many other DVDR mfgs. has basically sold there name to Funai, the large Chinese electronics company.

A large JAPANESE electronics manufacturer with headquarters in Osaka, Japan. Funai produces more than 50% of ALL DVDRs sold in North America under various brand names besides Philips/Magnavox, such as Emerson, Sylvania, Durabrand and Toshiba. Funai operates (or operated at one time... see Disputed above) factories in Japan, Germany, and Mexico, plus China and Malaysia where Panasonic and other major DVDR brands are produced.
post #88 of 113 Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Does anyone know where I can get a manual for one of these? The Magnavox website is the most pathetic useless thing I have ever seen. No specs, no features, absolutely nothing about it! Plus if you search the site for it, and it actually says no results found!

I only now found out about these at HeartlandAmerica and they too have no info on it (and theirs is a refurb).

Does anyone know if these will record a signal ok from a DCH series (digital only) STB?
Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #89 of 113 Old 04-09-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
post #90 of 113 Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member