Magnavox ZV450MW8 ATSC DVDR/VCR - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 113 Old 06-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Magnavox ZV450MW8 , I've had this for awhile and recordes fine. I have a 4DTV system which is all digital now. Tried to record HBO SD to DVD , copyright proplems. Do I need another unit or is there a fix,,, Thanks you for reading...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Not sure what "4DTV system" means, but if you're recording from a line input your cheapest solution would be a "video filter" installed before the line input of your Maggy.
Here's a nice post giving links to some various filters. With a video filter not only will you be able to record from HBO etc. but you'll also be able to backup any of your commercial DVDs by just adding a DVD player to the mix.
post #93 of 113 Old 06-06-2009, 12:57 PM

4DTV is the big c-band dish reciever that I've used since 1983. All analog pay services have gone digital now. Thank you ,I will check the thread.
post #94 of 113 Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 AM

Hi , ordered a Grex. Do you know if it has a power supply with it. Wonder how long it will take to get here?? Anyone know.
post #95 of 113 Old 06-17-2009, 06:34 AM

Got it today, works good. End of story. Thanks to all.
post #96 of 113 Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Funai builds two or more "digital tuner" combo recorders that may seem similar in a number of ways. Two of these are the Sylvania ZV450SL8 (KMart, Sears and other stores) and the Magnavox ZV450MW8 (WalMart).

As to front panel design the Sylvania has high-tech styling while the Magnavox front panel is utilitarian, see the first two photos.

Neither remote rates highly as user-friendly. The Magnavox remote, see photo three, has small, tightly-grouped buttons but its button layout is more intuitive than that of the larger Sylvania remote, a photo of which is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16368756

While interior views of these machines are similar, see photos four and five, there are functional/operational differences between these models.

The Magnavox may record to “-” or “+” discs. The Sylvania records only to “-” discs.

The Magnavox has the DVD 2.5 and 3 hour recording modes. The Sylvania does not.

The Magnavox has a functional “Make Recordings Compatible” feature that allows swapping unfinalized discs with some other Funai-built recorders. The Sylvania has “Make Recordings Compatible” listed in a menu but the Owner’s Manual mentions that this feature is not functional. (I verified this when using the Sylvania.)

ATSC/QAM performance differences between samples of these models are summarized in the following post (where there are links to more detailed descriptions):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16712001
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #97 of 113 Old 06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
It just slays me that both the Philips and Magnavox DVDRs use Panasonic silicon while the Panasonics use LSI/Magnum silicon
Kind of shoots the explanation that the Panasonic silicon can't do ATSC, which is why (I've heard) Panasonic switched to LSI.
Also quite odd the Funai built Sylvania only records to - format, I could see only + but what's up with only -? Other than the digital tuner it sounds like a '01-'04 Panny, and like the '01-'04 Pannys I bet they drop to 1/2 D1 on speeds over 2hrs/disc.
Thanks for all the photos Digado
post #98 of 113 Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Do any of those you mention in your post record and playback in HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Funai builds two or more "digital tuner" combo recorders that may seem similar in a number of ways. Two of these are the Sylvania ZV450SL8 (KMart, Sears and other stores) and the Magnavox ZV450MW8 (WalMart).

As to front panel design the Sylvania has high-tech styling while the Magnavox front panel is utilitarian, see the first two photos.

Neither remote rates highly as user-friendly. The Magnavox remote, see photo three, has small, tightly-grouped buttons but its button layout is more intuitive than that of the larger Sylvania remote, a photo of which is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16368756

While interior views of these machines are similar, see photos four and five, there are functional/operational differences between these models.

The Magnavox may record to “-” or “+” discs. The Sylvania records only to “-” discs.

The Magnavox has the DVD 2.5 hour recording speed. The Sylvania does not.

The Magnavox has a functional “Make Recordings Compatible” feature that allows swapping unfinalized discs with some other Funai-built recorders. The Sylvania has “Make Recordings Compatible” listed in a menu but the Owner’s Manual mentions that this feature is not functional. (I verified this when using the Sylvania.)

ATSC/QAM performance differences between samples of these models are summarized in the following post (where there are links to more detailed descriptions):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16712001

God Bless,
-Clint
post #99 of 113 Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Do any of those you mention in your post record and playback in HD?

No DVD recorders have those capabilities. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=599173

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #100 of 113 Old 06-26-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

No DVD recorders have those capabilities. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=599173

Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #101 of 113 Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 AM

My zv450mw8 has started giving "program not recordable" errors. I was able to record from these channels (FX and SPEED TV-both owned by Fox and STARZ) one day and then literally the next day I get this E45 error, which according to the manual means "Copy Prohibited Program".

I'm assuming that my cable provider (COMCAST) or the cable network is sending a copy protection signal as described in the manual [You cannot record copy-protected program using this unit. (Copy-protected signal is included in DVD-video or some satellite broadcasts.)]"

Other than recording to VHS, how can I avoid this error?
post #102 of 113 Old 10-03-2009, 07:25 AM

I bought this unit 15 months ago. I have not used it much. When I turned it on after not using it for about two moths everything on screen was tinted blue. I have changed cables, changed inputs and unplugged and replugged the unit but nothing seemed to help. And of course it is not out of warranty. Anybody have any suggestions what the problem may be and it it worth getting fixed or should I trash it and buy something new?
post #103 of 113 Old 10-03-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simctd View Post

I bought this unit 15 months ago. I have not used it much. When I turned it on after not using it for about two moths everything on screen was tinted blue. I have changed cables, changed inputs and unplugged and replugged the unit but nothing seemed to help. And of course it is not out of warranty. Anybody have any suggestions what the problem may be and it it worth getting fixed or should I trash it and buy something new?

Perhaps your ZV450 has "lost" the channels. If your 450 is connected to an antenna or is connected directly to the cable company coax cable try a new channel scan.

If you have cable or satellite service were there any recent changes to these services that might be the source of the problem?

Is your 450 still connected to the same TV as it was before? Have you made changes to any settings in the Setup menu?

post #104 of 113 Old 10-04-2009, 08:37 AM

This unit was connected to both antenna and sat. After this blue tint showed up one of the things I did was disconnect the sat. In addition to the things I said in my previous post, I tried the channel rescan as you suggested and a factory reset. And rest all video settings. None of these have fixed the problem.
post #105 of 113 Old 10-04-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simctd View Post

This unit was connected to both antenna and sat. After this blue tint showed up one of the things I did was disconnect the sat. In addition to the things I said in my previous post, I tried the channel rescan as you suggested and a factory reset. And rest all video settings. None of these have fixed the problem.

I'm assuming that the channel scan was run for "antenna" reception and the satellite connection was through a composite or S-Video input. If you are using a S-Video input you need to press Setup, General Setting, Video, select the front or rear input, enable "S-Video In" for that input, then press Setup to exit the menu.

Wajo's sticky thread, while mainly devoted to Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD models, is a wealth of information of interest to owners of other Funai-built recorders. That thread is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

post #106 of 113 Old 10-12-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I’m now familiarizing myself with a second Magnavox ZV450MW8, this one an original version manufactured in March 2007 (the first month digital tuners were required to be installed in tuner-equipped devices intended for sale in the United States). This ZV450 is a refurbished model that the seller said was purchased at Big Lots. The seller should know, she’s a Big Lots employee.

Upon setup this ZV450MW8 presents a different-appearing series of menus than my later ZV450MW8A version (manufactured in August 2008). Instead of the “A” version’s 12 timer scheduled programs there are just 8 timer scheduled programs available with this original model. “Make Recording Compatible” is called “Replace Disc Menu,” who would have guessed?

This ZV450 is connected to two TVs, the first a Dynex LCD HD TV through S-Video and composite outputs by way of a Philips switch box; the second to a 13’ analog RCA CRT TV through composite outputs. This ZV450 is connected directly to the raw Comcast coax cable feed. The channel scan found the usual analog channels 2-31, plus the usual 115 or so digital sub-channels. I’ve also connected a Zenith DTT901 CECB to a ZV450 rear panel composite input for recording from a local broadcast sub-channel that Comcast doesn't carry. I’ve yet to record with this ZV450 but there are timer scheduled recordings set up from both sources.

The first photo shows the rear panel model name/manufacturing date and serial number stickers. The more recent “R” (refurbished) serial number is placed over the original serial number. The second photo shows the rear panel connectivity. Notice that the composite video and left audio outputs are split to provide VHS and DVD playback to the Dynex HD TV and the mono/analog RCA TV.
LL
LL

post #107 of 113 Old 11-25-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are five interior views of an original version of the Magnavox ZV450MW8 manufactured in March 2007:
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #108 of 113 Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfm1981 View Post

My zv450mw8 has started giving "program not recordable" errors. I was able to record from these channels (FX and SPEED TV-both owned by Fox and STARZ) one day and then literally the next day I get this E45 error, which according to the manual means "Copy Prohibited Program".

I'm assuming that my cable provider (COMCAST) or the cable network is sending a copy protection signal as described in the manual [You cannot record copy-protected program using this unit. (Copy-protected signal is included in DVD-video or some satellite broadcasts.)]"

Other than recording to VHS, how can I avoid this error?

A friend of mine is having the same problem (big Formula 1 fan). The error mentions "copy once", and that is all they are trying to do. Comcast DTA, SPEEDTV (may be other channels), DVD+RW media. They are not trying to copy a copy or edit a copy, just get an original copy of the broadcast onto a DVD+RW. Does anybody know how to get around this error??? tks..
post #109 of 113 Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpeters View Post

Does anybody know how to get around this error???

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1229053
post #110 of 113 Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Does anyone know if you can program the remote to use a different signal/code/frequency (whatever it's called) so that it doesn't conflict with another unit made by the same manufacturer?

I have another DVD recorder that I wanted to put in the same entertainment center but each remote operates both units at the same time

Patrick
post #111 of 113 Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISPAT View Post

Does anyone know if you can program the remote to use a different signal/code/frequency (whatever it's called) so that it doesn't conflict with another unit made by the same manufacturer?

I have another DVD recorder that I wanted to put in the same entertainment center but each remote operates both units at the same time

These Magnavox recorders all respond to other Magnavox remotes. The codes can not be reset like Panasonic recorders and remotes.

I currently have three Magnavox recorders set up for daily use, two in one room. My practice is to isolate the Magnavox recorders from each other.

Some folks report taping a flap in front of the IR sensor to block signals.

A less satisfactory practice is to manually turn on one Magnavox and then press the remote's power button that turns the first Magnavox off and the second Magnavox on. This doesn't work so well as certain other remote buttons power on a Magnavox that is powered off.

post #112 of 113 Old 09-04-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Have the same thing going on. I just put something in front of the "eye". With 3 recorders and 2 players used for dubbing all using the same code it keeps me busy.
post #113 of 113 Old 09-17-2010, 02:58 PM

I have a ZV450MW8 that I've had for several years (unused for the last couple of years). I got it out a couple of days ago to try to dub some VCs to DVDs. However, I can't get it to work at all. Well, that's not quite true. It powers on, cycles (loads) the VC (if there's one present) and then attempts to read the DVD (if there's one present), blinks an E1 and then a couple of seconds later, powers down.

If I have neither a VC or DVD loaded, I still see the E1 and then it powers down. When connected to a TV, if I press the Setup button on the remote control, the setup menu shows on the TV - very briefly - and then the power off occurs before I can even select anything in Setup.

Since this thing was unplugged all this time, I'm pretty sure no battery or capacitor charge has held any settings in memory, but is there a way I can initialize the setting back to factory default, just to insure there aren't any random bits turned on? I haven't been able to find anything in the manual that describes resetting to factory defaults. Do any of you know how to do that?

I haven't removed any covers yet, but I'm not adverse to digging in further if I have to. Of course if I had a block diagram, schematic or some guidance as to what to look for (40 plus years of computer troubleshooting, repair, and engineering - preceded by 8 years of electrical/electronic support of USN aircraft equip me fairly well doing that), that would make things as lot easier (possibly ) . Any ideas? Has anyone else encountered these symptoms?

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page