AVS Forum banner

FAQ: DVD Recorders and the Analog to Digital Transition

108K views 219 replies 80 participants last post by  Church AV Guy 
#1 ·
NOTE: This material applies only to the USA. If you are in Canada, some of this material may affect you peripherally. If you are elsewhere in the world, you can safely ignore what follows.

Updated: 30 April 2010

1. What's this analog shutdown I've been hearing about?

As a result of legislation of the US Congress, all full-power analog over-the-air (OTA) broadcast TV ended on June 12, 2009, leaving only the digital broadcasts that most stations had also been sending already. (Some stations had already shut down their analog transmitters before this.) Low-power stations and translators were not subject to this deadline. The FCC is pushing those stations to convert also, as soon as feasable, but has not announced any deadlines at this writing.

2. Does this mean that analog cable is going to shut down, too?

The congressional mandate applies only to OTA broadcasts. Cable companies are free to convert their analog channels to digital whenever they choose, except for local broadcast stations that have chosen "must carry" status and therefore foregone any compensation by cable companies. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled in September 2007 that cable companies must provide those channels in analog form through June 12, 2012. I suppose that other local broadcast channels, that have negotiated compensation for carriage by cable companies, will continue to negotiate for carriage in analog form.

However, cable companies want to convert their analog channels to digital sooner or later, because they can send more digital channels than analog in the same bandwidth. Also, with digital cable it's easier to block unauthorized access. Comcast is now converting its "extended basic" customers from analog to digital. Only the "limited basic" channels will remain in analog form, including mainly the local OTA broadcast stations. Other cable companies will probably do something similar during the next few years.

3. How does all this affect DVD recorders?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandated that as of March 1, 2007, all devices made or imported to the USA, that can receive OTA broadcasts, must include digital (ATSC) tuners. Previously, practically all DVD recorders sold in the USA had only analog (NTSC) tuners.

In April 2007, new DVD recorders began to appear on dealers' shelves, with both NTSC and ATSC tuners. All models seen so far also have QAM (digital cable) tuners. See other threads in this forum for discussion about specific models. Meanwhile, older models with only NTSC tuners have disappeared from the marketplace, as dealers sold out their stock. These models are now available only through after-market sources such as eBay.

Also, some DVD recorders have now appeared, that have no tuner at all. They can record only from other devices with tuners (e.g. cable STBs or DVRs, or standalone ATSC tuners for OTA broadcasts) via their line inputs.

4. Does this mean that my old DVD recorder (or VCR) is going to be useless after analog shutdown?

There are now few OTA analog (NTSC) broadcasts for it to tune to, only whatever low-power stations or translators operate in your area. As your cable company shuts down analog channels, you will no longer be able to tune those, either. However, you can still record from an external digital tuner via the recorder's line inputs. For example, you can use a composite-video or S-video connection from a cable set top box or DVR, or a standalone ATSC tuner for OTA broadcasts. People have reported success in using a Panasonic DVD recorder with an "infrared (IR) blaster" to control the Zenith DTT900 digital-to-analog converter box . The Zenith DTT901 works the same way. The Channel Master CM-7000 converter box can also be controlled this way, using a Pioneer cable box code.

5. My DVD recorder has the TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) feature. How does the analog shutdown affect TVGOS?

TVGOS receives its electronic program guide (EPG) data via a signal embedded in the OTA broadcast signal of stations which have contracted with Macrovision (the current owner of TVGOS) to provide this service. In preparation for the OTA digital transition, Macrovision developed a new version of TVGOS which uses digital (ATSC) instead of analog (NTSC) broadcast signals. It appears that most areas have digital TVGOS service as of November 2009, but some areas have lost it, and some others have had "teething problems" with the new service.

So far, no DVD recorders with ATSC tuners include the TVGOS feature. All DVD recorders with TVGOS have only NTSC tuners. Nevertheless, there are two "loopholes" by which they may be able to receive digital TVGOS indirectly.

First, for people who get TV via analog cable, Macrovision is working with cable TV providers to enable them to convert digital TVGOS data (received from a broadcast station in their area), to analog form for insertion into one of their remaining analog cable channels. This should allow analog-only devices with TVGOS to function as before, although possibly using a different TVGOS host channel. It requires that your cable company install the conversion and insertion equipment.

Second, for people who get TV OTA, the Dish TR-40, DTVPal, DTVPal Plus coupon eligible converter boxes (CECBs), the Dish DTVPal DVR and the ARTEC T3APR-T(TVG) CECB have a mode which converts digital TVGOS from an OTA broadcast into the analog version, for use with analog-only devices with TVGOS. This uses a different data stream (SCTE 127) in the digital OTA signal, than the one (TVG1) used by digital devices with TVGOS. Note that these devices can receive only digital OTA (ATSC) signals, not digital cable (QAM) signals. Therefore they are not a solution for people with digital-only cable service.

6. Why are there so few DVD recorders with hard disks (HDD) on sale now?

Older models with only NTSC tuners have disappeared from normal retail channels as pre March 1, 2007 stock sold out. As of May 2010, only seven new models with ATSC/QAM tuners and HDD have appeared or are forthcoming:

Philips DVDR3575H/37
Philips DVDR3576H/37
Polaroid DRA-01601A
Magnavox H2080MW8
Magnavox H2160MW9
Magnavox H2160MW9A (a slight update to the preceding unit)
Magnavox MDR513H (another slight update)

The Philips and Magnavox units share a common FAQ/discussion thread, linked to the names above. The Polaroid has its own thread.

Update, November 2009: The only model that is currently available is the Magnavox H2160MW9A. See section 10 of the first post of the thread linked above for sources.

Update, May 2010: The Magnavox H2160MW9A has gone on clearance sale, and is apparently going to be replaced by a new model, the MDR513H. This has a larger HDD (320GB) and will reportedly be available in June. See the Philips/Magnavox FAQ/discussion thread for the latest information.

Other companies (Panasonic, Toshiba, and Pioneer, at least) have no plans for such units. Companies that have given reasons for this have indicated poor sales of the previous NTSC-only units. This is in line with the common availability in the USA of HDD DVRs leased by cable and satellite TV providers. These units have relatively low monthly fees in contrast to the high up-front cost of an HDD/DVD recorder, and can record encrypted channels that DVD recorders cannot (at least not directly). Most people apparently mainly want to be able to time-shift programs by recording them temporarily, and have limited interest in archiving programs on DVD.

This situation may change in the future as a result of the FCC mandate discussed in the next section.

Note that HDD/DVD recorders for analog and/or digital TV are widely available outside the USA, e.g. in Europe, Japan and Australia, which do not have such a high penetration of proprietary leased cable and satellite equipment. Some of these are available in the USA through gray-market import channels, from dealers who specialize in multisystem (PAL/SECAM/NTSC) analog video equipment.

Some people have speculated that digital-rights management (DRM) issues are a cause of the lack of HDD/DVD recorders. That is, these units make it too easy to make high-quality recordings of copyrighted programs, so content providers have pressured consumer-electronics manufacturers to stop selling them in the USA.

7. Which digital cable channels can I record with QAM-capable recorders?

Current QAM-capable recorders can tune only those digital channels that a cable company does not encrypt (sometimes called "clear QAM"). With most cable companies, this currently means only the HD versions of the local broadcast channels (often not even all of those), plus perhaps a few odds and ends. You must tune other channels with a cable set top box and record them via a line input on the recorder. Many people expect that this will continue to be the case after the extended-basic channels are converted to digital, although this is not clear yet. Again, this is for current recorders; for possible future recorders, see below.

The FCC has mandated that as of July 1, 2007, new cable set top boxes and recorders must decouple the access and authorization functions so that third party manufacturers can sell STBs and DVRs that can be used with any cable company. These devices would use something like CableCard 2.0 (which has been renamed as "Tru2way" technology) or downloadable software to authorize and decrypt channels as necessary. So far the only Tru2way devices are some Panasonic TVs, but there may be significant availability of Tru2way service from cable companies (particularly Comcast) in 2010, which might lead to the availability of Tru2way recorders.

8. Can I use an ATSC-capable DVD recorder as an HDTV receiver?

All of the units seen so far deliver only standard-definition (SD) output. They can receive high-definition (HD) signals, but they downconvert HD to SD both for recording and for immediate viewing via a line output. This is because of limitations in the integrated chips that are used for decoding and processing the ATSC signal in these units.

See less See more
#77 ·
Unless you regularly record many events from different channels the converter box may just work for you. Since you have a VCR and DVDR you could have one for each(with coupons it would only be $20 or so for both). If you were away from home and wanted to record 2 different events on different channels you could have the VCR record one and the DVDR record the other. Not ideal but possible.

In your case I would look for one with passthru. That way you could just hook up both CECB's and TV in series with your antenna. TV being last in line.

Other than that new DVDR's w/digital tuners start ~$200 and combo's would probably set you back ~$300. Note the Panasonic recorders will not record digital events to the VHS section so in that respect I'd just stick with your old VHS with a CECB and get just a DVDR with digital tuner, if that's the route you want to go.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosrevis /forum/post/13539808

Thanks, Kelson--any recommendations? We currently record vhs and dvd at same time although not too often. Use dvd recorder almost every day--would you stay away from combo unit? Tv is 4 yrs old and not over abundance of inputs. Thanks much.

Well, is your new TV going to be HD?

Do you mostly time-shift, and if so do you want to record/watch in HD.

If you answer yes to both those questions, I recommend waiting until the Echostar TR-50 comes out this summer. It is a dual tuner HD-DVR for OTA users with EPG and no monthly fees. Dual tuner means you can record 2 channels at the same time. It has no burner built in but you can attach your current DVDR (or VCR if you really want to) and transfer programs off the DVR to DVD (but of course only in SD). This is what I am going to buy when I get an HD plasma this summer, and attach my E-85 to it.

If you don't care about HD recording and /or want something digial now, take a look at the Philips 3575 available now (3576 coming out soon which just changes the color to black). It has digital ATSC/QAM tuners and analog tuners. This unit is the best of the 3 models remaining that have a HDD. It has tons of problems with the QAM tuner and cable that causes people to return their units multiple times hoping to get one that works. However, it doesn't seem like anyone has any problems using it OTA and for OTA it looks like a good buy. All the returns from the cable users feeds the stock of their "refurb" website so you can pick one up cheap for $200 direct from Philips. Again, for an OTA user this Philips is also a better choice than a converter box for an analog TV that still has lots of life left after 2/09.

#79 ·
I've been asked by others to re-post my following story to this thread:

I thought I'd briefly share my [edit: mostly - see bottom] successful experience integrating a Zenith DTT900 ATSC converter box with this DVR so that I can record digital TV off an antenna. Bye bye cable!

I chose the Zenith tuner box because I heard that it could be controlled using IR codes for an LG satellite receiver, which the DMR-EH55 knows how to control via an IR blaster. This worked! I configured the DVR setup for Antenna and DirecTV and connected the Zenith as if it were the satellite reciever, on IN3. I connected my antenna to the DVR and connected the RF antenna passthrough from the output of the DVR into the antenna input of the Zenith tuner.

I autoprogrammed the Zenith to find my local channels and went into the settings to disable auto-off. I stuck the IR blaster below its IR port.

The hardest part was configuring the channel numbering scheme. I found that the only workable scheme to make the DVR automatically change channels on the Zenith was to configure the DVR to always use three digits for the channel, and disable four-digit values. I selected 028 when the setup screen asked how the box wants channel numbers like 28 entered. This causes the zenith to treat the third digit as a subchannel number.

Note that the Panasonic sends the channel number out the IR blaster TWICE when it gets ready to record. This caused problems with the Zenith if I didn't use a numbering scheme that included the subchannel; otherwise, the Zenith would switch to the second subchannel number on the second time. For instance sending '4' would go to 4.1 and sending '4' again would go to 4.2; but 041 always went to 4.1 no matter how many times it is sent to the Zenith [edit -see bottom of post].

I spent a lot of time editing the Panasonic's TVGOS channel listings to show just the channels in my area, and selecting IN3 as the source connection. I then programmed the digital channels as follows:

For 4.1, use channel number 41

For 4.2, use channel number 42

For 17.1, use channel number 171

and so forth.

Since I have a wide screen TV, I set up the CECB to output anamorphic wide screen mode for the 16:9 HD stations. This plays back from the DVR as 16:9 full screen on my TV. It's only 480 lines, but it looks good, better than analog cable and way better than an analog antenna.

Edit/Update: I have been having problems with IR blaster control of the Zenith due to the way my Panasonic DMR-EH55 sends the channel command twice. Sometimes it sends the second command so soon after the first that instead of 171 tuning to 17.1 and then 171 tuning again to17.1, the Zenith sees 171171 and interprets this as 17.11 followed by 7.1 !

It looks like the commands are spaced apart better if the DVR is OFF when the recording is scheduled. Most of my shows have been recorded properly while the DVR was off and I wasn't watching, but when a recording started while I was watching another program the tuner control problem surfaced. I cannot find any way to turn off the double-channel-set behavior in the DVR settings, and none of the other numbering schemes I've tried work either. So, the way a DVR attempts to set the channel number remains a challenge for my own integration with a CECB and could certainly affect other people.

UPDATE:

I have verified that the DVR has problems setting the channel when recording a second program immediately after the first due to the double-channel-set problem I described above. I can reliably record one program from any channel, in isolation, when the DVR is off. Multiple programs can be automatically recorded if there is an inactive period behind them, again with the DVR off. It is when the DVR has already tuned to one channel and attempts to change to another to record from it that the problem surfaces.

I wish I could program the DVR to send three digits followed by enter rather than just three digits; this would fix the problem, as would not sending the channel number twice when starting a recording. But I see no way to accomplish either with this model of DVR. Another DVR and another CECB would probably have different interaction characteristics.

#80 ·
Hey s,

Well, you gave me hope, for a little while at least, that it was possible. I have a Panny E80 and E75 and like them both. But with the DTV transition coming up, I'm afraid I'll be stuck with two single-event recorders in a death-grip with the D/A converter box, and that just won't serve the purpose.

Interestingly, I called Panasonic to ask if either DVR had any way of getting around this problem. I asked if, from OTA to the D/A converter, I could connect it to one of the DVRs, set that DVR to record channel 2 at 7:00pm, then channel 5 at 8:00pm WITHOUT MY HAVING TO BE HOME/LIFT A FINGER.

Admittedly, I did have to explain the same thing over and over several times (I'm sure she just read answers from a database). She finally said she understood the question, emailed level two support and came back with a "yes." I asked her to rephrase the question exactly as she had emailed it, and she did; it was correct. I asked if the answer was definitive, if she and/or the L2 support person were POSITIVE these DVRs could be made to continue working that way after 2/09. She said "positive," just get any D/A converter and presto, record OTA pretty much the same as before. She even said that's why these units were selling for more than the original price, because they would continue to be just as functional, and Panny hasn't made a USA HDD model since 06. Rare commodity. Indeed. So are black and white TVs.

So much for magic.

Why can't they just make a box that will convert the digital signal to analog, then the DVR/VCR can tune in the station it's set to record just like the good old days?

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk54911 /forum/post/13583548

Hey s,

Well, you gave me hope, for a little while at least, that it was possible. I have a Panny E80 and E75 and like them both. But with the DTV transition coming up, I'm afraid I'll be stuck with two single-event recorders in a death-grip with the D/A converter box, and that just won't serve the purpose.

Interestingly, I called Panasonic to ask if either DVR had any way of getting around this problem. I asked if, from OTA to the D/A converter, I could connect it to one of the DVRs, set that DVR to record channel 2 at 7:00pm, then channel 5 at 8:00pm WITHOUT MY HAVING TO BE HOME/LIFT A FINGER.

Admittedly, I did have to explain the same thing over and over several times (I'm sure she just read answers from a database). She finally said she understood the question, emailed level two support and came back with a "yes." I asked her to rephrase the question exactly as she had emailed it, and she did; it was correct. I asked if the answer was definitive, if she and/or the L2 support person were POSITIVE these DVRs could be made to continue working that way after 2/09. She said "positive," just get any D/A converter and presto, record OTA pretty much the same as before.

I think it's entirely possible that a different model of Panasonic DVR from mine might either (1) not send the channel number twice in rapid succession, which would avoid the run-on numbering error, or (2) allow a scheme where enter is sent after a three digit value, also avoiding this problem.

Alternatively, it's possible that (3) another CECB is controllable by legacy set top IR codes but does not change subchannels when the main channel number is entered for the same channel that us currently tuned. But I prefer the scenarios (1) and (2) because the three digit solution allows selection of any specific subchannel up to .9

-Steve

#82 ·
My Sony RDR-HX900 might work. I never had any problem with it when using it with 3-digit channel #'s when I had it set up to control my Dish tuner. I'll have to check and see if it has any LG satellite box codes - although it's a lot older model than the EH55V/75V.

But I won't be able to get guide data for the TVGOS, which means I'll either have to use the empty blocks in the grid to program, or just use manual timers (which would be better).

Unfortunately, I haven't got my CECB coupons yet (ordered them 1/2/09), and I'm certainly not going to pay full price for the Zenith with the intention of keeping it as long as it has that known audio issue. If the coupons haven't been lost or stolen, and I'm still going to get them (it says they're "in the mail"), and they're dated later, I'd rather wait to see if the TR-40 will be out by then, for it's "VCR Timer" feature (and pass-thru).

Maybe if I get up the gumption I'll go buy the Zenith from CC for the full price with the intention of returning it.

#83 ·
Why won't you get TVGOS data?

I got my CECB coupons last weekend; I applied the same day you did. I think their entry into the postal system is being staggered over time.

I am mostly recording children's shows that are not affected by the Zenith audio bug. I have not noticed the bug so far on the prime time shows but if it bothers me I will probably just switch to mono. So far my family is happy with being able to record most of the shows we want; it's just a couple of situations where two consecutive shows are desired that present a limitation for us. We'll just have to record Monk and watch Psych live, or vice-versa. Perhaps there's a way to force a manual two-hour block recording without using TVGOS for just a few programs, but I haven't tried hard enough to figure it out.

#84 ·
Well, I could get it OTA, as long as the tuner's hooked up to a line input, but then you can't use 3-digit channel numners - only 2-digit.

There really isn't anyway that doesn't involve a lot of hassle making it not even worth it, that it can be done. Not that I've figured out so far, anyway. And I've experimented extensively.

It might have the LG box code, but if I set up for a satellite tuner, it won't get guide data. Only the Panasonic EH55 and EH75's TVGOS is fully set up to work with Direct (I have an EH75V, but it's being used with a Dish tuner. And I don't believe my Panny E85H can control any satellite boxes). All I can do with the Sony is set it up to control a satellite tuner, without getting any guide data.

As far as your TVGOS recording problem, you should be able to override the "grid system" of scheduling recordings and just set the manual timer for any amount of time you want.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggoodri /forum/post/13563659

Edit/Update: I have been having problems with IR blaster control of the Zenith due to the way my Panasonic DMR-EH55 sends the channel command twice. Sometimes it sends the second command so soon after the first that instead of 171 tuning to 17.1 and then 171 tuning again to17.1, the Zenith sees 171171 and interprets this as 17.11 followed by 7.1 !

My Panasonic DMR-EH75V does the same thing, when I schedule a recording by selecting a program from the EPG grid, and the unit is turned on when the recording starts. When the unit is turned off, the recording proceeds correctly, as you note.

When I schedule a recording manually by going to the TVGOS "Schedule" tab and entering the start and stop times manually, the recording proceeds correctly regardless of whether the unit is on or off. This is for single recordings. I haven't tried back-to-back recordings on different channels.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/13592390

My Panasonic DMR-EH75V does the same thing, when I schedule a recording by selecting a program from the EPG grid, and the unit is turned on when the recording starts. When the unit is turned off, the recording proceeds correctly, as you note.

When I schedule a recording manually by going to the TVGOS "Schedule" tab and entering the start and stop times manually, the recording proceeds correctly regardless of whether the unit is on or off. This is for single recordings. I haven't tried back-to-back recordings on different channels.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try some the manual entry of start and stop times.

As a stop-gap measure for recording shows like Monk and Psych back-to-back on the same channel, I've simply increased the stop recording time on the first show by an hour.

#87 ·
Looking for suggestions on what to do about connecting both a DirecTV box and a digital to analog converter box to a DVD-R. It seems to me that the DVD-R would need 2 sets of audio and video inputs. I would prefer to connect video via S-video, b/c my satellite receiver has S-video out. The Channel-master D/A I ordered has S-video out. I'd also like both sets of inputs for audio and video to be on the back side of the DVD-R.

Any model suggestions? Is this set-up going to be impossible?

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy63 /forum/post/13639070

Looking for suggestions on what to do about connecting both a DirecTV box and a digital to analog converter box to a DVD-R. It seems to me that the DVD-R would need 2 sets of audio and video inputs. I would prefer to connect video via S-video, b/c my satellite receiver has S-video out. The Channel-master D/A I ordered has S-video out. I'd also like both sets of inputs for audio and video to be on the back side of the DVD-R.

Any model suggestions? Is this set-up going to be impossible?

I'm not sure about what you are connecting. I get the DirecTV box for the sat system, but what is this D/A converter? Do you mean for receiving digital OTA broadcasts? If that's the case all current new DVD recorders come with OTA digital tuners so you don't need a converter box. You're asking for model suggestions so I assume you want to buy a new DVDR. So, is that it? You want to hook up for OTA reception also?

#89 ·
Most DVDR's have 2 sets of inputs. A front set which sometimes doesn't include S-video, and a rear that does. Panasonic's have S-video on both front and rear.

I'm not aware of any current DVDR with both inputs on the rear, although I could be wrong.

If you don't need a tuner the Panasonic EA-18 would run you ~$180.

If you want the digital tuner the EZ-28 would be ~$239.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/13640452

I'm not sure about what you are connecting. I get the DirecTV box for the sat system, but what is this D/A converter? Do you mean for receiving digital OTA broadcasts? If that's the case all current new DVD recorders come with OTA digital tuners so you don't need a converter box. You're asking for model suggestions so I assume you want to buy a new DVDR. So, is that it? You want to hook up for OTA reception also?

Yes, the converter is for OTA digital to analog. I had an itchy trigger finger when I got my converter coupons and committed to a stand-alone converter box before doing sufficient research.

Does the DirecTV DVR permit recording from a source other than the satellite?

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggoodri /forum/post/13563659

I've been asked by others to re-post my following story to this thread:

I thought I'd briefly share my [edit: mostly - see bottom] successful experience integrating a Zenith DTT900 ATSC converter box with this DVR so that I can record digital TV off an antenna. Bye bye cable!

I chose the Zenith tuner box because I heard that it could be controlled using IR codes for an LG satellite receiver, which the DMR-EH55 knows how to control via an IR blaster. This worked! I configured the DVR setup for Antenna and DirecTV and connected the Zenith as if it were the satellite reciever, on IN3. I connected my antenna to the DVR and connected the RF antenna passthrough from the output of the DVR into the antenna input of the Zenith tuner.

I autoprogrammed the Zenith to find my local channels and went into the settings to disable auto-off. I stuck the IR blaster below its IR port.

The hardest part was configuring the channel numbering scheme. I found that the only workable scheme to make the DVR automatically change channels on the Zenith was to configure the DVR to always use three digits for the channel, and disable four-digit values. I selected 028 when the setup screen asked how the box wants channel numbers like 28 entered. This causes the zenith to treat the third digit as a subchannel number.

Note that the Panasonic sends the channel number out the IR blaster TWICE when it gets ready to record. This caused problems with the Zenith if I didn't use a numbering scheme that included the subchannel; otherwise, the Zenith would switch to the second subchannel number on the second time. For instance sending '4' would go to 4.1 and sending '4' again would go to 4.2; but 041 always went to 4.1 no matter how many times it is sent to the Zenith [edit -see bottom of post].

I spent a lot of time editing the Panasonic's TVGOS channel listings to show just the channels in my area, and selecting IN3 as the source connection. I then programmed the digital channels as follows:

For 4.1, use channel number 41

For 4.2, use channel number 42

For 17.1, use channel number 171

and so forth.

Since I have a wide screen TV, I set up the CECB to output anamorphic wide screen mode for the 16:9 HD stations. This plays back from the DVR as 16:9 full screen on my TV. It's only 480 lines, but it looks good, better than analog cable and way better than an analog antenna.

It looks like the commands are spaced apart better if the DVR is OFF when the recording is scheduled. Most of my shows have been recorded properly while the DVR was off and I wasn't watching, but when a recording started while I was watching another program the tuner control problem surfaced. I cannot find any way to turn off the double-channel-set behavior in the DVR settings, and none of the other numbering schemes I've tried work either. So, the way a DVR attempts to set the channel number remains a challenge for my own integration with a CECB and could certainly affect other people.

UPDATE:

I have verified that the DVR has problems setting the channel when recording a second program immediately after the first due to the double-channel-set problem I described above. I can reliably record one program from any channel, in isolation, when the DVR is off. Multiple programs can be automatically recorded if there is an inactive period behind them, again with the DVR off. It is when the DVR has already tuned to one channel and attempts to change to another to record from it that the problem surfaces.

I wish I could program the DVR to send three digits followed by enter rather than just three digits; this would fix the problem, as would not sending the channel number twice when starting a recording. But I see no way to accomplish either with this model of DVR. Another DVR and another CECB would probably have different interaction characteristics.

I have a Panny 75V and followed your procedures. I must say the results are great.
I have the Insignia and everything that you did with the Zenith worked the same for my unit. It sure was a PITA finding my local stations and getting them put in, but it did work. I haven't programed any back to back recordings yet, but I'll let you know if it is any different with the 75V than with your Panny.

Thanks for all your work!

#94 ·
How to put the video into my personal website

I have a video which is converted into flv and swf formats. I did it with a software called Flash Video MX Pro. The software is great. I added many special effects with it. But how can I share my video with my friends. Someone told me that I could upload it to my personal website. Can anyone kindly enough to tell me how to put it into my personal website? And will the special effects influnce the quality? Thank you.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk54911 /forum/post/13583548

Why can't they just make a box that will convert the digital signal to analog, then the DVR/VCR can tune in the station it's set to record just like the good old days?

My thought exactly. If the new TVs are capable of doing it, why not have a stand alone device to do the same thing.

I really hope there is such a device that is programmable (so I can still use my DVR) that comes out soon.

B.

#96 ·
I've read through this entire thread, and must admit I am still confused.

1. NTSC tuners - are you saying that even with cable one will need a converter box, analog to digital?

2. Someone said Panasonic said using a converter on each unit will allow it to work normally -- is that why the ones sold in Canada right now (and I think the new non-HD Pannies) come with an IR blaster?

3. I have an eH50 which I love, and wanted to buy one of the horribly overpriced eh55s before they are gone, but not if they won't work after cable goes digital.

#97 ·
As long as you're still using analog cable, your DVD recorder should continue to work the same way it does now, except for the TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) feature if it has one (like the analog Panasonics have).

When your cable company moves the channels that you watch, to digital, then you'll need whatever digital cable box they provide. The digital-to-analog converters that people are talking about so much now are only for over-the-air signals from an antenna.

#98 ·
I'm not sure where to post this question but here it goes.

I have the Sony RDRHX780 and I'm wondering If I record the Olympic closing ceremonies in "HQ" which could be around 3-4 hours like the opening ceremony. I'm recording it to the Hard Disk Drive first. Can I dub all 3-4 hours of it to a DVD+R DL after? Would the player reconvert the recorded source to fit the 8.5GBs or would I be forced to make/dub multiple DVD+R DL disc. I know that using HQ mode would probably record the event well over 10GBs. I'm just wondering if it would actually reconvert it and fit it to the dual layer DVD.

Thanks,

P.S. If you guys need more clarification just ask (hope I wasn't too confusing)

#99 ·
It would be best to record at a speed that will fit on a DL disc. Otherwise, you will have to do a real-time dub to disc, at a slightly reduced quality from recording at the correct speed in the HDD. That is because the DVDR will have to decode, then encode again, to change the speed, to fit all on a single DL disc. You could break the 4 HQ hour recording into separate titles, and record it to 4 discs, in HQ, at high-speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.