FAQ: DVD Recorders and the Analog to Digital Transition - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 220 Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW! Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm glad I managed to stimulate answers I had not read about before. I will now read each one carefully and figure out which one or which combination (if possible) I should follow and report how successful I was. I feel not so lost anymore and glad I'm part of this forum.

Now, if we ordinary citizens or faithful company employees could get our government or our companies to listen to us more before they embark in ruinous decisions, maybe we wouldn't be in the mess as big as we are in!

Thank you again for the time and care to respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 220 Old 03-03-2009, 04:25 AM

I am new to this board, and I hope this is the right thread to post in. I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD Recorder and when the digital transition took place, I found that I wasn't able to schedule any recordings, because I felt the need to get a converter box that Comcast was giving out to their customers. And since the signal is being filtered through this box, I can only change the channels with the remote provided with the box. The TV stays on channel 3. So I can only record things if I am immediately near the recorder, and if I want to program something to record while I'm away, it has to be on one channel. I dealt with Panasonic phone support for a few days, and they couldn't help, and Comcast basically didn't help either. And since last week, I've been searching all over the net trying to find a reasonable and inexpensive solution to this problem. I'm so glad I came across this board. I feel like I'm missing something, since the recorder has a digital tuner in it, but I've done all types of hookups and research and nothing. If someone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
post #183 of 220 Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The "official" EZ28 thread is here for future questions, but for now it sounds like you just need to eliminate the converter box since the 28 has a digital tuner. You can then put your EZ28 1st on the coax, as shown in sketch 1b here. Use the dark line, not the option thru a cable box (STB) cuz your 28 will do all the tuning... I assume you DON't have a separate full-up cable box, just a digital converter they gave you that you shouldn't need?

That help file explains how that will let the 28 tune unscrambled channels separately (after a channel scan) and allow you to watch one channel while recording another.

Since you've tried various things, you might have already tried the 28 on the coax directly, so if that doesn't get channels after a scan, then the cableco MIGHT be scrambling all its channels, which is against FCC rules... they're supposed to keep at least all the channels you can tune with an antenna (OTA) in the clear, or unscrambled. That should give you AT LEAST the local networks, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, etc,.
post #184 of 220 Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckthewanderer View Post

And since last week, I've been searching all over the net trying to find a reasonable and inexpensive solution to this problem. I'm so glad I came across this board.

The tunerless, Panasonic EA-18 model that uses an IR blaster to change the channels on an external tuner may have been the better choice in your case (provided it has the code to control your box).

But are you absolutely sure there's no way for the Comcast tuner to change channels on it's own? I thought that at least some of their tuners had that capability (maybe not their most "basic" ones, though).

Look in the manual you got with the receiver. Even if it's possible, and you call Comcast to ask them about it, they're likely to tell you that "it can't be done, no matter what", and keep pushing you to rent their DVR instead. In other words, they have every incentive to not help you.

If your tuner doesn't have that feature, maybe you could request a different one from them that does(?).

Otherwise, are you able to consider satellite? I'm not sure about Direct, but my 322 SD Dish tuner can schedule timers for recordings. In fact, Dish has a fantastic starter deal going right now - I think it's $9.99 for 6 months, with everything else pretty much free (I think it's for the Top 100, which is normally priced at $39.99 - still not bad). If you get SD, get the 322 tuner - it gives you separate service to 2 TV's for no extra tuner cost - OR, you can use the second output to your recorder at the main TV, and watch one thing while recording another. There is no cost for the first tuner, either (dual or single). If you get HD, you'd want the similar, HD/SD 222 dual-tuner.

As far as AT&T U-Verse, their receivers don't have that feature - I checked.
post #185 of 220 Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Both Wajo and Ramm gave you good advice. Another rather kluge option would be a programmable remote(if you can find one that will control your STB). They work by inputting your channel and times in the remote. Then just point the remote at your STB and at the correct time it sends out a IR blast to change the channel on your STB.
Not sure how common programmable remotes are anymore but I remember seeing them several years back.
post #186 of 220 Old 03-03-2009, 03:32 PM

I appreciate everyone's advice and imput. I live in an apartment complex that offers tenants free extended basic cable, and that's the setup I have. I tried hooking up the cable directly to the DVD recorder, and am getting channels 1-30, and then after that it's sporadic. It'll take me some time to take note of which ones I am getting so I can let you guys know if you like. This helps a little, but there are shows I record that are past channel 30 that the recorder isn't picking up. The box I have is a simple converter box, no buttons, with simple hookups in the back. I don't see a way to change the channels through the box only. The only solution Comcast offered me when I called them is if I want a DVR I have to upgrade the plan and spend some money that way, but I'm not making much and I have enough bills as it is. But if that's the only way to go I may have to do that. I've looked at satellite as well, but I'm not sure. I don't watch much tv, and don't really need or want alot of channels. If there's anything else you guys want to know, please let me know. Thanks again.
post #187 of 220 Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like the channels you want to watch/record might be scrambled or not receivable by your Panny. In this case the EA-18 mentioned by Ramm or the programmable remote I mentioned(cheapest solution if you can find one) would be your best bets.
Radio Shack used to sell the programmable remote but I'm not sure if they still do, I think they used to be under $30.
Figuring the cost of a DVR rental even the EA-18 would pay for itself in a little over a year.
post #188 of 220 Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I tried hooking up the cable directly to the DVD recorder, and am getting channels 1-30, and then after that it's sporadic.

The box I have is a simple converter box, no buttons, with simple hookups in the back. I don't see a way to change the channels through the box only.

If you can't change channels with the box, to use it, you must change channels with your TV's tuner. And it is presumably analog, so you should be able to tune those channels with the Panny. Can you get more channels on the TV, from the box, than you can with the Panny hooked up w/o the box?

I haven't used a DVDR with a digital tuner, but I wonder if perhaps you need to scan the QAM (digital) channels, and are only getting analog channels on your Panny. Some digital tuner users should chime in here, but the QAM channels are remapped by the cable co. regularly, so you need to rescan when something you were getting disappears, even if you are getting QAM channels now.
post #189 of 220 Old 03-04-2009, 04:26 AM

I apologize for not being more specific yesterday, I was about the leave for work. After getting home I had a chance to cycle through the channels that the recorder picked up. And sure enough they are all the channels that the box picked up, except they are all jumbled and out of order. Ranging from 73-116, for example a channel like CNN, 92-207. I'm guessing that this is how the recorder works. It took me a few minutes to write down the lineup so I can remember it. And I can only watch the channels with the recorder on, not just from the TV. So if I'm recording something, I can only watch any channels 2-30. Forgive me if I sound ignorant, this is something I haven't had to deal with before. Is there a way I could record one thing and watch something else, above channel 30? Like using a splitter, and have one end going to the DVD recorder and the other going to the converter box if that's possible? Or if anyone else has any suggestions? Thanks for everyone's help.
post #190 of 220 Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can either use a splitter, one output to the 28 and one output to the conv. box, as lognas your TV has the inputs for two devices.

You can also just connect the 28's coax output to the conv. box coax input since the 28's coax circuit is just a signal passthru, as explaind in that link I gave you earlier.
post #191 of 220 Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM

I still have that link open. Not sure if it matters or not but my TV only has a coaxial hookup, so I use an rf modulator to hook everything up. Not sure how that would figure into the equation. I don't see an equivalent in the diagram. Thanks.
post #192 of 220 Old 05-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Request help in connecting a Zenith DTT 900 Converter Box and a Toshiba RD-XS54SU DVD recorder (250 GB HD) to an analog tv.

I connected my antenna to the Zenith antenna input and connected the RF antenna coax that came with the Zenith to the Toshiba DVD Recorder antenna input. The Toshiba is connected to the TV via the TV video2 input using standard red, white & yellow cables.

I don't even get the setup screen for the Zenith.

Is it possible to prevent the DVD recorder from becoming a Smithsonian relic on 12 June?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
post #193 of 220 Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftitus View Post

Request help in connecting a Zenith DTT 900 Converter Box and a Toshiba RD-XS54SU DVD recorder (250 GB HD) to an analog tv.

I connected my antenna to the Zenith antenna input and connected the RF antenna coax that came with the Zenith to the Toshiba DVD Recorder antenna input. The Toshiba is connected to the TV via the TV video2 input using standard red, white & yellow cables.

I don't even get the setup screen for the Zenith.

Is it possible to prevent the DVD recorder from becoming a Smithsonian relic on 12 June?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The VCR needs to be tuned to channel 3 (or 4), whatever is set as the output channel on the Zenith.

For better recorded picture quality use an additional set of composite yellow, white and red cables from the Zenith to the VCR and record from the input fed by those cables.

If you continue to have a problem perhaps one of the cables that came with your Zenith is defective.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #194 of 220 Old 05-10-2009, 01:41 AM

well that answers my questions. what a amazing forum. cheers
post #195 of 220 Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 AM

Has anyone had any success with this unit getting listings lately? Since April my listings are gone and I have went through several hoops with no success.

Should I try hooking up to my digital cable box (WOW for Wide Open West) and use the IR blaster which is a hassle? Or should I try the DTVPal converter? From what I understand this is only for broadcast channels.

Local CBS is only sending the info digitally from what I understand, and since the WOW people have no clue I am guessing the cable alone will not help myn analog recorder.
post #196 of 220 Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #197 of 220 Old 05-10-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

There are many more-specific threads on TVGOS and various DVDRs where you can get more help.

There's one for Panny E500, 50, with a couple of good suggestions along the line you mentioned in this post

Thanks. I did search that thread and posted to it also. The subject is covered from many angles, but not specific enough more my situation. So I posted here as well.

If I am correct, the issues are as follows:
My local PBS no longer carries the EPG info in analog.
Local CBS has taken it over in digital.
My EH50 is analog only.
WOW cable has not so far made it available with another analog signal that my unit can locate.
PalDTV converters are not designed for receiving over cable as far as I can tell.

Some of this I finally learned from Panasonic after about 3 or 4 calls. The rest from this forum, which is the best source I have found so far. Only the most recent posts deal directly with the digital transition as it applies to me, since things have been normal until now.
post #198 of 220 Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Yesterday, 5-14-09, my listings returned after about a month. It appears that either WOW cable or Macrovision completed what was needed for the digital listings to be converted for my analog recorder.

So maybe I will get to wear this machine out before it becomes obsolete!

Dan
post #199 of 220 Old 08-18-2009, 12:20 AM

I know this is going to sound awful, but oh well.

I am 56 year old female; rate myself advanced but not expert when it involves home electronics and PC(I worked at a high-end audio/video store from 82-87).

I'm getting on Ebay to buy a stash of VCR's with tuners; all I want to do is time-shifting recording.

Who knows how many years I've got left. I'm not going to waste time and/or money during this transition period. Maybe after the dust settles, the choices will be easier.

Terror Starts at Home
post #200 of 220 Old 08-18-2009, 02:40 AM

Digital Camcorders : Panasonic SV AV100, Canon MOD Camcorders, JVC (MOD and TOD) and Panasonic (MOD only)
post #201 of 220 Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsdallas View Post

. . . I'm getting on Ebay to buy a stash of VCR's with tuners; all I want to do is time-shifting recording.

Who knows how many years I've got left. I'm not going to waste time and/or money during this transition period. Maybe after the dust settles, the choices will be easier.

If you have cable service with a cable company provided converter box or a cable company provided Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) VCRs enslaved to those devices will continue to be of use (within certain limitations) for time-shifting. Without a cable company converter box or DTA a VCR will be of little use for time-shifting.

If you receive over the air (OTA) broadcast service through an antenna and you use a Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) to receive digital TV stations a VCR enslaved to that device will continue to be of use (within certain limitations) for time-shifting. Without a CECB a VCR will be of little use for time-shifting.

There are other considerations as well. If you provide more information as to the type of service you have, the type of TV you have and how you intend to use a time-shifting device, perhaps more specific information as to your equipment options may be provided.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #202 of 220 Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM

This is a great rundown on all of the changes happening and clears up a lot for me. Thanks!
post #203 of 220 Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've updated the FAQ to mention the forthcoming Magnavox MDR315H. See the Philips/Magnavox sticky thread for more information.
post #204 of 220 Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
TO THE MODERATOR:

I suggest it is time to unstick this thread and let it fade away. Aside from this post, there have been only two posts made in the last 26 months, with the most recent being over 1.5 yr ago.

This is a dead thread that offers no information of enduring value that isn't being discussed in other threads.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #205 of 220 Old 10-24-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Kelson, I reported your post(Red/White triangle with a ! in the middle under your name) and agree with you, this thread should probably just move down the list with the other threads
The DTA transition is quite old news now.
post #206 of 220 Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 326
unstuck

thanks

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #207 of 220 Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:

I am new to this board, and I hope this is the right thread to post in. I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD Recorder and when the digital transition took place, I found that I wasn't able to schedule any recordings, because I felt the need to get a converter box that Comcast was giving out to their customers. And since the signal is being filtered through this box, I can only change the channels with the remote provided with the box. The TV stays on channel 3. So I can only record things if I am immediately near the recorder, and if I want to program something to record while I'm away, it has to be on one channel. I dealt with Panasonic phone support for a few days, and they couldn't help, and Comcast basically didn't help either. And since last week, I've been searching all over the net trying to find a reasonable and inexpensive solution to this problem. I'm so glad I came across this board. I feel like I'm missing something, since the recorder has a digital tuner in it, but I've done all types of hookups and research and nothing. If someone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Since I'm at work, I've quickly read this thread and didn't see this suggestion. Apologies if its a duplicate. Also since I don't have it in front of me I can't remember all the details correctly.

SOME of the Comcast boxes (even one of the free ones) has a "reminder" feature that i've used with some success.

Use the Guide button on the Comcast remote, then look at the bottome for "VCR recording" or "reminder".
Press Enter and a more detailed screen will come up that will let you shedule the box to change the channel for the show of interest.
THEN YOU HAVE TO PROGRAM YOUR DVR FOR THE SAME TIME SLOT BUT CHANNEL 3.

I've been able to set up multiple shows during the day on different channels.
post #208 of 220 Old 10-25-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

unstuck

Sorry, but a sticky thread should be judged by the number of page views per a certain period, rather than frequency of posts.

As long as used analog DVD recorders are sold, especially to the inexperienced, this thread will always be valid and pertinent.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #209 of 220 Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As the author of this FAQ, and a moderator on another forum, I respect Mark's decision. Obviously the OTA digital transition is old news by now. Some of the items are still relevant, but they would be better off as part of a generic DVD recorders FAQ, with items like "How do I record from a cable box / satellite box / DTV converter box?" and "I have an old DVD recorder that has only an analog tuner, how do I record digital TV?"

I might be willing to start writing something like this. Any interest or comments? I can't make any promises about a timeline, though.
post #210 of 220 Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Liked: 11
My cable still comes in as analog and will until sometime later in 2012 and then I will have to find out how to use my DVD recorders as well as my VCRs with the digital signal..the easiest way. Right now I can record all I want when I want due to analog cable. When it goes digital, I will be splitting between my OTA input and my cable input. My recorders do have ATSC tuners but in my area there are not many stations OTA. It looks like the cable companies may finally get their greedy wish....force STBs on everyone and each one is a rental. Can't afford to rent that many boxes just to have one channel set for recording. I can see in the future questions about using analog tvs with digital signals. I still use my 1995 RCA analog as well as having 2 HDTVs hooked up. Hope to find your thread in the future when I need to know more about the transition. It just has not happened here....we still have the choice of analog or digital and I don't need to use the digital OTA cause my analog cable gives me all my choices and my tuners are happy too.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page