Is Comcast driving another nail into the HDD DVD Recorder Coffin? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Comcast is running a special on their 160 gb "dual tuner" Moto 3416 STB: $1.99/mo for 12 months!

I just rented 2 Moto 3416s, for $3.98/mo.
-- 320 gb of combined HDD space for storing HD and SD video.
-- 4 digital tuners available.

And as many of you know, this STB records video in 720p, 1080i, 480p or 480i.

Programs can be scheduled using the EPG. You can even tell it to only record new episodes, and skip reruns of regularly scheduled shows.

Any shows you want to archive to DVDs can be selected (in any order) from the Moto 3416 HDD and downloaded (in SD of course) and recorded on any DVD recorder (using the Moto 3416 component, svhs and composite line outs).

Who knows. Maybe someone out there will figure out how to download a *digital signal* using the firewire or usb line outs (now disabled).

How do you think the major HDD DVD recorder manufacturers will react when they learn Comcast is "giving away" their 160 gb HDD STBs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe they have already reacted. Nice deal.

I wonder if they are trying to push them out the door in order to get them deployed before the cable card mandate arrives in July. Any box that is in the field prior to July can remain or be redeployed until it becomes obsolete.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-18-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nice deal, I'm paying Comcast $16/month for (1) HD-DVR box and (1) HD STB without a DVR.

Is that special for new customers only?

Jon
post #4 of 19 Old 04-18-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Even if the DVR is $10 or $15/ mo it makes little sense for the typical cable co sub consumer to invest $300 in a DVDr with HDD. Not only that, the lease mentality is in full swing in the US.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

garyjo, What part of the country are you from because I've seen nothing like that offered in CT?
post #6 of 19 Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am in the Chicago area.

Existing Comcast customers upgrading to HD should ask for this special.
They do not advertise it. Luckily I was told of the special by a friend, who works for Comcast.

You also need two HD sets (plasma, LCD, etc) to be eligible for 2 STBs at the special price. I recently purchased 2 Pan 42px600u plasma sets from Best Buy.

I have heard Comcast will be replacing analog channels 22-99 with digital channels beginning next month. This apparently is already causing a run on their STB supply. So I am not sure how long the special wil be honored.

When the special ends, each STB will rent for $11.99/mo.

In anticipation of the increased demand for their STBs, Comcast has begun charging $17.95/STB for self installers (like me). A month ago, self installers paid nothing if they picked up their STBs.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

garyjo, What part of the country are you from because I've seen nothing like that offered in CT?

post #7 of 19 Old 04-18-2007, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dual Tuner DVRs
No question about it, dual-tuner DVRs are really sweet. I've had my DirecTV dual-tuner TIVO now for about 2 years. Once you get used to a dual-tuner DVR, there is no going back. And to compare a device like that to a VCR is like comparing the Wright Bros. "airplane" to a modern jet. And the GUI on these DVRs make scheduling recordings soo simple, quick and easy. And with DirecTV, I was only paying $4.99/month until very recently. Now it's $5.99/month for the TIVO programming guide.

And as for archiving to DVD, a simple non-HDD DVD recorder is really all you need. That's all I use and I get by just fine.

It's really no surprise that all the major Japanese manufacturers are no longer releasing any new HDD DVD recorders in North America - considering these virtually free (initial acquisition) satellite/cable company's DVRs.

Coffin nails, they sure are.

nx211

HT:
Speakers L/R - Infinity Prelude Compositions
Center - Infinity Prelude Compositions Center
Rears - Infinity Overture 1s
AVRs - NAD T773s
TVs - Sony 34XBR960/970
post #8 of 19 Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The 15% OTA TV watching public wouldn't mind an HDD equipped DVDr.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

The 15% OTA TV watching public wouldn't mind an HDD equipped DVDr.

Maybe their marketing people have determined that if the 15% can't afford cable, what hope is there of selling them a $500 HDD-DVDR.

Mark my words. Once they have completely destroyed the time-shifting competition and have you locked into their DVR solutions, the next step will be to eliminate your ability to FF through commercials.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Maybe their marketing people have determined that if the 15% can't afford cable, what hope is there of selling them a $500 HDD-DVDR.

Mark my words. Once they have completely destroyed the time-shifting competition and have you locked into their DVR solutions, the next step will be to eliminate your ability to FF through commercials.

FF-ing through commercials with existing rental hardware is already such a PITA that I dumped my two SA-8300-HDs and bought a TiVo. Prolly have buyer's remorse within the year, but for now I'm loving it.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Not only that, the lease mentality is in full swing in the US.

Exactly, how many cars do you see on the road older then 3 years? This society has become a throw away society (objects and money). As for me, I'll keep driving my old (5 years) paid for car with 30,000 miles

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #12 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Each comcast system can have different deals.
That souns like a good one!!
Hopefully they won't raise it too much after the one year is up!!
post #13 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

What their marketing people don't realize that a portion of those OTA folks are that way because they don't want to pay for cable for the material that they normally watch and also know that an HDD DVDr is just a few months worth of cable bills - and not because they can't afford cable.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 AM

It may run wonders around my VCR but my VCR cost $50 and maybe a buck for the tape. It suits me fine to record my 6 or 7 shows a week...and I do not mind programming it. I'd be happy to upgrade to anything that does not come with a fixed monthly cost for the rest of my life! The dual DVR sounds great but where I am its $13 a month, $3 for the unit and $10 for the programming guide. Thats a joke because it does nothing w/out the guide!

I'll keep my VCR (actually I just bought a dvd recorder) and save a bundle.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:

What their marketing people don't realize that a portion of those OTA folks are that way because they don't want to pay for cable for the material that they normally watch and also know that an HDD DVDr is just a few months worth of cable bills - and not because they can't afford cable.

Exactly. I earn a 6 figure income and can easily afford to pay for cable.

The true cost of renting a DVR from the cable company isn't only $10 - $12 a month since you have to consider the increased monthly programming costs as well.

I only watch a few hours of 'cable' TV each week. To me, that's not enough to warrant paying $500+ a year to upgrade to digital cable and then paying $10 a month to rent a DVR. I'd rather buy my own DVR and stick with the almost free QAM HD locals and free onDemand programming. In less than one year of ownership, I would break even. The fixed cost for $300 to $500 DVR is just that: FIXED. No need to pay additional fees for something I don't want or need.

How many people still lease their cable modems? Comcast used to charge me $3 a month to rent one from them. I bought my own for $18 after rebates and it paid for itself in 6 months. If I'd been paying Comcast to rent it all these years, the leased cable modem would've cost me $180 by now.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

A new product *increasing HD* storage capacity of Cable HDD STBs is being introduced by a reputable company, Apricorn.

They advertise: "Never delete your favorite shows again!"

http://www.apricorn.com/?CFID=1787216&CFTOKEN=55925737

I wonder how many more "add on" products for cable STBs will make it to market this year?

How do major manufacturers of HDD DVD recorders (that capture in SD only) compete with add-on products that *increase HD* capacity of Cable STBs?
post #17 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Exactly, how many cars do you see on the road older then 3 years? This society has become a throw away society (objects and money). As for me, I'll keep driving my old (5 years) paid for car with 30,000 miles

Let's see, do the math....you're averaging 6,000 miles a year? . I didn't think Round Rock was that small. You have my envy. 30,000 miles is about 14 months for me.
My car is amost 14 years old with 350,000 miles. No wonder my video equipment was so happy to come home with me!

Jiggery - Pokery!
post #18 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Let's see, do the math....you're averaging 6,000 miles a year? . I didn't think Round Rock was that small. You have my envy. 30,000 miles is about 14 months for me.

It's not, I moved in June 2006 to RR before that I lived in Austin and 2 miles from work, so my commute was very short...to say the least.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #19 of 19 Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjo View Post

Comcast is running a special on their 160 gb "dual tuner" Moto 3416 STB: $1.99/mo for 12 months!

I just rented 2 Moto 3416s, for $3.98/mo.
-- 320 gb of combined HDD space for storing HD and SD video.
-- 4 digital tuners available.

And as many of you know, this STB records video in 720p, 1080i, 480p or 480i.

Programs can be scheduled using the EPG. You can even tell it to only record new episodes, and skip reruns of regularly scheduled shows.

Any shows you want to archive to DVDs can be selected (in any order) from the Moto 3416 HDD and downloaded (in SD of course) and recorded on any DVD recorder (using the Moto 3416 component, svhs and composite line outs).

Who knows. Maybe someone out there will figure out how to download a *digital signal* using the firewire or usb line outs (now disabled).

How do you think the major HDD DVD recorder manufacturers will react when they learn Comcast is "giving away" their 160 gb HDD STBs?

That's a very nice deal! I got one of those last year (x412), and I just can't give it up! To completely replace its functionality I would have to get a lot more devices.

For CM-Skip, be sure to visit the relevalnt HDTV Recorder forum for these boxes, there is a 30sec CM-skip option and you can use the macro feature to create 30s, 1min, 90sec, 2min, 3min buttons on the remote to jump over them.

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page