DRA-01601A: DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive Info - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 729 Old 06-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, everyone has me totally confused as to what is going on with both recorders.

Until both are looked at under the same conditions using a display that does not modify the picture automatically, we are only guessing as to what is being recorded by either.

You are feeding the same signal to both, so it would seem that the recorder would record that input. So if the signal was 16:9 you would get the squished picture on 4:3 for both.

I wonder if the input is letterboxed already for those who have the problem. If so, that would explain a lot since then it would be the display that needs to be modified to accommodate the input. I often record 4:3 that is letterboxed and display it on my projector screen at 16:9 by modifying the display. Wonder what is between the recorder and the input signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 729 Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondiablo View Post

As I said above, those settings do affect the recording on the Philips. Setting to Wide creates an anamorphic recording, setting to LB creates a letterboxed recording. PS fills the screen but cuts off the sides of a 16:9 picture. Which is why I asked if he tried all 3 settings on the Polaroid because I suspect it might be the same.

That is encouraging news!

Sorry, I don't have the Polaroid to compare to.

Dave
post #273 of 729 Old 06-10-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
The best way to check this would be to dub the recording to a DVD-R/W then play it on a PC using something like Nero ShowTime. Showtime will display whatever is in the frame and the OSD will display the frame resolution. Then you will be able to determine whether or not the recorder records the full 720x480 resolution or clips it and inserts black filler bars.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #274 of 729 Old 06-10-2007, 04:23 PM

One of the Walmarts near me had a DRA-01601A in stock so I decided to grab it and test for myself. 4:3 LB and 4:3 PS seem to work the same as on the Philips, 4:3 LB creates a letterboxed recording, 4:3 PS records full screen with the sides of the picture cut off but on the Polaroid 16:9 Wide seems to work exactly the same as 4:3 LB where 16:9 Wide on the Philips makes an anamorphic wide screen recording, it just doesn't set the flag for it.

I didn't bother to test much beyond that because, and maybe I just got a bad one but, what a piece of junk. As soon as I took it out of the box it just looked and felt much cheaper than the Philips. Turned it on and it was much louder than the Philips. Some channels on the analog tuner looked good, some looked bad but absolutely nothing on the digital tuner was watchable. My Olevia 537H and the Philips recorder both find about 30 digital channels. I just have basic cable, no box. The Polaroid found 24 digital channels and they would all constantly go in and out, mostly out. Needless to say, it's going back to the store immediately.
post #275 of 729 Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

ANY DVD recorder can record an anamorphic picture supplied by a source device. I do it all the time, recording from my HD TiVo to my Pioneer DVD recorder. The HD TiVo supplies the needed anamorphic video.

If that's the case, then why is it that with both the Philips and the Polaroid (both set to 16:9 wide in the settings menu as well as the TV) when just viewing as well as recording through them, from an HD 16:9 Satellite broadcast, I get a 4:3 picture on my Vizio 32" widescreen (TV mode set to Normal) that's letterboxed (which is 16:9 within the letterbox) and needs to be picture moded to fill the screen? When recorded and played back the same 4:3 letterbox (16:9 within the letterbox) shows up and again picture moded to fill the screen? Unless I'm lost and totally confused I thought the whole idea was a recorder that both displayed and recorded an HD 16:9 broadcast without letterboxing and needing to be picture moded to fill the screen? I've seen 3 manuals for different recorders that state the units will not record a 16:9 aspect ratio without letterboxing it and people saying "no, it does." I feel lost? Am I?
post #276 of 729 Old 06-10-2007, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrain View Post

If that's the case, then why is it that with both the Philips and the Polaroid (both set to 16:9 wide in the settings menu as well as the TV) when just viewing as well as recording through them, from an HD 16:9 Satellite broadcast, I get a 4:3 picture on my Vizio 32" widescreen (TV mode set to Normal) that's letterboxed (which is 16:9 within the letterbox) and needs to be picture moded to fill the screen? When recorded and played back the same 4:3 letterbox (16:9 within the letterbox) shows up and again picture moded to fill the screen? Unless I'm lost and totally confused I thought the whole idea was a recorder that both displayed and recorded an HD 16:9 broadcast without letterboxing and needing to be picture moded to fill the screen? I've seen 3 manuals for different recorders that state the units will not record a 16:9 aspect ratio without letterboxing it and people saying "no, it does." I feel lost? Am I?

It took me along time to reach a point where I think I understand the widescreen viewing and recording scenario and issues.

Let me try to explain this in a slightly different way.

A DVD recorder records whatever video is presented at its input, be it from the internal tuner or from an external device. Everything is set up as if the whole world is 4x3 and widescreen did not exist.

Older commercial DVDs presenting widescreen movies were letterboxed, much like the laser discs that came before them. The black bars above and below the widescreen video were actually recorded video also, consuming/wasting a significant portion of the vertical resolution that is already limited for NTSC standard analog TV viewing.

At some point some smart folks devised a method of compressing the widescreen picture horizontally to the point where they fully utilized all of the vertical resolution available. This horizontally squeezed video is often referred to as anamorphic since it is similar to the method used to squeze widescreen movies into more narrow film frames (e.g., 35 mm film carrying squeezed 70 mm wide movie material). The squeeze was accomplished during filming by using a lens that distorted the view to achieve the horizontal squeeze. Then, when playing the movie in the theater, a complementary but opposite-effect lens was used to stretch the video back to its true aspect ratio (e.g., 70 mm from 35 mm film). These lens are described as anamorphic.

The electronic equivalent is accomplished by recording a 16x9 source program on a device that normal handles 4x3 video, such as a DVD recorder. This can also be done with a VCR--I used to do so with my SVHS recorder.

To make this work electronically, the first requirement is to have the source device (providing the video) perform the horizontal squeeze to deliver an anamorphic video signal, squeezing the width of the 16x9 picture into the recording video space typically used for 4x3 pictures.

There are many source devices that can do this by setting their options for viewing on a 16x9 widescreen TV. Both of my stand-alone HD tuners and my HD TiVo's can do this. To work with my DVD recorder (or SVHS VCR), that anamorphic video must be availble on the S-video output of the HD device.

But, there are many other devices, such as commonly used HD cable boxes, that will not deliver the anamorphic video to the S-video (and composite video) outputs. Instead, those boxes always assume that the downstream S-video device must be a 4x3 TV so they always letterbox the widescreen video and offer no method for a user to override this.

I am not familiar with Dish Network satellite HD boxes, so I don't know how they behave in this regard.

Assume we have an anamorphic video version of a 16x9 widescreen program and have recorded it on a DVD recorder--hard drive or DVD-R or the others.

Much like the film version, the playback and/or display device now takes on the task of stretching the anamorphic recording to fill the widescreen display. This part is usually easy to accomplish.

The tougher challenge is to have that same anamorphic recording play back on a 4x3 TV as either letterboxed (black bars over and under) or pan and scan (sides cropped to have undistorted full screen). To differentiate "standard" 4x3 recordings from anamorphic widescreen recordings, there is a bit (simplistically, actually there are a few bits involved) that indicates whether the source material was originally 4x3 or 16x9. In analog video signals this bit occurs within the vertical blanking interval (VBI, the "space" between two fields of video). This is often referred to as the "widescreen flag."

DVD playback machines (including the playback mode of a DVD recorder) can detect and react to the widescreen flag based on options set by the person who set up the DVD playback function. There is an option setting for the type of TV (4x3 or 16x9) and for how to display widescreen-flagged video on a 4x3 TV--either letterboxed or pan and scan. The options should be set to match the viewing device aspect ratio.

With the playback option set for a 16x9 TV, the widescreen anamorphoic recording is played back unaltered, thus allowing the video to fill the entire width of the 16x9 screen. This is exactly how "enahnced for widescreen" commercial DVDs work. Actually, this works fine for any anamorphic recording, whether or not there was a widescreen flag present on the recording.

With the playback option set for a 4x3 TV, if the widescreen flag is present on the recording, the DVD player will either letterbox or pan and scan the video as set in the options. If there is no widescreen flag present, the DVD player assumes the video is 4x3 and fills the 4x3 screen with the anamorphic video, which is horizontally squeezed and causes folks to look tall and skinny.

RECAP

So, the key ingredient for "full-resolution" widescreen DVD video is the anamorphic video source. For those of us recording our own widescreen programs from HDTV sources, we rely on the source device for the anamorphic video.

With or without the widescreen flag, the playback of the anamorphic video on a widescreen TV is succesful in displaying the video in its original 16x9 aspect ratio (assuming the DVD player is set up for a 16x9 TV).

Playback without aspect ratio distortion on a 4x3 TV is dependent on the presence of the widescreen flag in the anamorphic recording and the correctly-set options in the DVD player.

Whew!! Sorry that took so long, but small steps in this long journey may be easier to digest and understand than a quick summary.

Hope this helps!

Dave
post #277 of 729 Old 06-11-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

It took me along time to reach a point where I think I understand the widescreen viewing and recording scenario and issues.

Well, you just cut my time frame down considerably! I think I'm getting a grip on this whole bloody thing. And believe me, I do appreciate the time you must have taken to type this explaination out!

So, if I understand you correctly, I need to check through my Dish Network HD receiver manual and if neccessary call tech support (since when do they know anything anymore) to see if the receiver is sending an Anamorphic signal through the S-Video output. If it doesn't, I'd might as well grab my ankles and say "thank you sir, may I have another" and be happy because I live 45 miles South of the Grand Canyon and the only way I can get anything piped to my house is from a bloody Satellite, including my freaking water!

Which reminds me that the previous Polaroid (2001G) that I had a couple months ago and took back because it wouldn't cooperate with the laws of physics, had an HD component input (rare, if not the only one that has it) which would allow a satellite receiver's HD component output to feed into that. Theoretically, Anamorphic would feed through component inputs. I guess it makes no difference since the bloody unit has too many issues, like not working.

Also, why do some recorder manuals actually state that the unit will NOT record 16:9 aspect? As for example, in the Panasonic EZ37 DVD recorder manual on page 13 (you can view the pdf on the Panasonic website) it doesn't just make statements, it shows a picture of 16:9 aspect under "RAM" Disc and "VHS" and says "Recorded in 16:9 aspect (Widescreen)" and under the various DVD formats (+R, -R etc) it shows a picture of 4:3 aspect and says "Recorded in 4:3 aspect". A similar satement is made in the new Philips manual, that it does not record the 16:9 aspect. Are they technically speaking of just not encoding the flag as previously mentioned by "mkjnovak"? Regarding the Panasonic, it records in 16:9 but it only encodes the flag to RAM disc and VHS?
post #278 of 729 Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... I need to check through my Dish Network HD receiver manual and if neccessary call tech support (since when do they know anything anymore) to see if the receiver is sending an Anamorphic signal through the S-Video output.

It is unlikely that any Dish support people will understand the question or the anamorphic capabilities of their devices, especially using that term. The best way to determine whether you can output anamorphic video on S-video or composite (yellow) video outputs is to perform your own test.

Set your Dish receiver for a 16x9 TV (whatever language they use in the menu) and connect a 4x3 TV to the S-video or composite video output of the Dish receiver. Play a 16x9 widescreen program and see how the video looks on the 4x3 TV.

If the entire 4x3 screen is filled and people look tall and skinny, you have anamorphic video available and this is GOOD NEWS.

If the 4x3 screen has a letterboxed 16x9 picture with over/under black bars, then your Dish receiver apparently forces letterboxed output for 16x9 source programs regardless of your user option setings and this is BAD NEWS.

Quote:

Which reminds me that the previous Polaroid (2001G) that I had a couple months ago ... had an HD component input (rare, if not the only one that has it) which would allow a satellite receiver's HD component output to feed into that. Theoretically, Anamorphic would feed through component inputs.

Your Dish receiver does output anamorphic video over the component video (red/blue/green) outputs. One major advantage of the Polaroid DVD recorder that you owned is the ability to record using component video, and thus being able to record anamorphic video from those devices that don't provide anamorhpic output on their S-video and composite video outputs.

Quote:

Also, why do some recorder manuals actually state that the unit will NOT record 16:9 aspect? As for example, in the Panasonic EZ37 DVD recorder manual on page 13 (you can view the pdf on the Panasonic website) it doesn't just make statements, it shows a picture of 16:9 aspect under "RAM" Disc and "VHS" and says "Recorded in 16:9 aspect (Widescreen)" and under the various DVD formats (+R, -R etc) it shows a picture of 4:3 aspect and says "Recorded in 4:3 aspect". A similar satement is made in the new Philips manual, that it does not record the 16:9 aspect. Are they technically speaking of just not encoding the flag as previously mentioned by "mkjnovak"? Regarding the Panasonic, it records in 16:9 but it only encodes the flag to RAM disc and VHS?

I can't explain the confusion caused by the owner's manuals, except that they tend to address you as if you are always using a 4x3 TV to view the recordings (even though they don't always say so). So, if they say they don't record in 16x9 aspect ratio, they likely really mean that they don't support the widescreen flag.

Some recorders provide limited support for widescreen flags, but not in consistent ways.

Some Sony DVD recorders will let you actually force the widescreen flag on, but only if the recording is less than two hours (and maybe more restrictions I don't remember right now).

Some Panasonic recorders apparently support widescreen flags if present on the inccoming video signal (e.g. from the HD source device), but only when recording on DVD-RAM disks (I have not tested any Panasonic DVD recorders so I could be way off here).

Most (all?) Pioneer DVD recorders will recognize and record a widescreen flag if present on the incoming vide signal. I have two different Pioneer recorders that both support the widescreen flag this way.

Unfortunately, my HD tuners and HD TiVo's do not provide the widescreen flag themselves, so I have to add it after the fact. At first I would burn a DVD on the recorder, then load it on my computer to add the widescreen flag and then burn a new one. Now I use a Video Filter box in series with the S-video connection from my HD TiVo to my DVD recorder. That box can add the widescreen flag on the fly while I am recording, so I can avoid extra time and effort by skipping the computer step.

Enough for now. Ask any questions you like. There are many folks reading this forum that can likely answer them.

Dave
post #279 of 729 Old 06-11-2007, 04:40 PM

Well, my TV doesn't have S-Video (other than HDMI and Component, just composite) input but my Projector does and sure enough switching back and forth from HDMI and S-Video shows the S-Video from the DishNetwork satellite receiver does not feed 16:9 like the HDMI does, only 16:9 letterboxed, just like my other TV's RCA Composite connection. That would totally explain why some are getting 16:9 from these recorders and some are not. If the source is not sending the 16:9 signal you ain't going to get it. And I'm not getting a 16:9 signal from my DishNetwork satellite receiver's S-Video connection. Game over.
post #280 of 729 Old 06-17-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Well, my TV doesn't have S-Video (other than HDMI and Component, just composite) input but my Projector does and sure enough switching back and forth from HDMI and S-Video shows the S-Video from the DishNetwork satellite receiver does not feed 16:9 like the HDMI does, only 16:9 letterboxed, just like my other TV's RCA Composite connection. That would totally explain why some are getting 16:9 from these recorders and some are not. If the source is not sending the 16:9 signal you ain't going to get it. And I'm not getting a 16:9 signal from my DishNetwork satellite receiver's S-Video connection. Game over.

I recorded a OTA widescreen HD show onto a DVD and then tried to play it back on my computer with a wide screen display. The image was letterboxed and I was forced to use widescreen stretch to make it fill the screen. This tells me it does indeed letter box everything. That being said the quality is still very good and sharp looking even with the wasted resolution.

Since it is letter boxing an image into a 720x480 4:3 possible area does this meen we are really getting a 720x344 image (~28% loss)?
post #281 of 729 Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 AM

Simple Question to who have used it.

Does it support 1080i or 1080p upconversion ? Thanks.
post #282 of 729 Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM

no. 480i 480p only. however my cheap vizio tv does it anyway.
post #283 of 729 Old 06-18-2007, 01:49 PM

I have received digital broadcasts through antenna by my tv and now the dra-01601a. this is what i figured out
tv stations are trying to please too many customers. most pictures, both 4:3 and 16:9 are being switched around to fit any tv with letterboxing and streching.
with my tv, i have learned to adjust with aspects "normal" or "wide" and zoom. i have yet to see a tv that automatically adjust for the tv stations playing with aspects and letterboxes, dra-01601a is no different
what works for me
set the aspect to 4:3lb for all recordings. then i adjust like normal with my tv, but find "zoom" aspect ratio to work well on true 16:9 broadcasts.
strange thing happens when i burn dvd+rw or finalize dvd+r with 16:9 recording in 4:3lb. When i watch it from my standard dvd player, set on 16:9, it plays like a standard widescreen dvd. I have shared edited programs with people having 16:9 tvs without tuners and they are amazed.
post #284 of 729 Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM

other weird thing i figured out

to record a live show, or any input, turn on timeshift then rewind to the point you want to record and press "record". press "stop" to stop or keep pressing "record" to increase automatic time by 30 min intervals. easist way to record old dvds and tapes.

if you are recording from timeshift and the "timer warning" comes on, but you don't want to cut the timeshift short, cancal the timer. when the program is over, hit "stop" and go to the station that you wanted to record and do a live recording. this overcomes the 3 min delay people were complaining aboout

now the biggest problem.
you must choose only one digital channel to record from on timed recordings till you reset it manually. WHY?
if you don't believe me go to timer and change dtv channel on a setting and all dtv settings will be changed to that channel. WHY?
post #285 of 729 Old 06-18-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteephact View Post

Alot of the posts here complaining about this unit seem to be about how the ATSC tuner performs.....

For my specific needs, I am replacing a HDD DVD recorder I had previously (ILO HD04 for the interested) and I have never used the tuner. I've always just used the S-VHS out from a satellite/cable box and have been pleased with the results till the DVD drive itself died recently. I had no idea all the HDD units had dried up because of the tuner issue....

My questions are:

--What is the overall recording quality ? If I record a long 3hr+ programs (a whole prime-time schedule for 1 network say...) in SP mode to the HDD, can I record in a 3hour mode to DVD from that ? Or does the DVD recording have to be the same as what hit the HDD ? What does the 3 or 4 hour recording mode look like ?

--Some posts mentioned a usable USB port. I have a Western Digital 120GB USB harddrive, so can I plug that in and copy recordings straight off the harddrive to that ? If so I am in heaven because I ultimately only end up using the DVD recorder to move video over to the PC for editing any way. Not having to burn DVDs from the device would be a huge benefit for me...

Thanks for any insight you can provide...

hdd and dvd has to be the same. sp only fits 2 hours on dvd.

what i do is burn the programs onto a dvd+rw at the quality on hdd. then play on another dvd into the dra-01601a hdd at the quality/speed i want. after editing i then burn on dvd+r
its a pain, but works
post #286 of 729 Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM

warning

put all output settings on dvd/vcr, sat, and cable players feeding into dra-01601a on 4:3 or 4:3letterbox it may sound like it not recording in widescreen, but it works when you have the dra-01601a set for 4:3lb
post #287 of 729 Old 06-24-2007, 01:48 AM

my polariod just died. taking back to wally-world.
post #288 of 729 Old 06-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Wookie, if you are following the thread on the Philips 3575H :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=830253

It sounds like for $40 extra, its a whole lot of a better machine ...
post #289 of 729 Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 AM

still assesing the unit, had it about 3 weeks.
found clear plastic protection over the mirror like face, once removed it improved the performance of the remote control greatly. Don't know why they didn't put some kind of marking on it to let you know it was there.
found the remote to be far from user friendly, the hard drive noisy, and the finalized YES DVDs do not work in some of the older dvd players.
Wish Panasonic had come out with their units with the ATSC tuner! Their remotes are a lot more intuitive and their units support ram disks.
post #290 of 729 Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Bought one to see how it compared to my Panasonic E80 machine. The Poloroid would never get past the "Please wait" display on my tv. Did everything directions indicated and still nothing. Took it back to Wally world. Will wait until a quality comany comes out with a HDD and digital tuning.
post #291 of 729 Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Sailboat and hmcewin, I can only repeat what I said earlier, have you looked at the Philips from Wally World? The thread is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=830253

Despite some teething troubles, that may be fixed by a firmware upgrade, it sounds like $40 extra buys a whole lot more machine ...

These companies do not have much incentive to improve their offerings (Wally World seems to be the only retailer carrying HDD DVRs). If you read the French website of RCA parent Thomson, they are celebrating selling their one millionth DVR to Direct TV, who in turn wants to rent them to us for a monthly fee. Why would they build a unit that might piss off their one million units customer?

Just for fun, I think Thomson recently sold the rights to the RCA brand to Audiovox of the good ol' U.S. of A. Right now though, the Philips seems to have a lot of things done right for $298.
post #292 of 729 Old 06-24-2007, 07:52 PM

have had the polaroid for about a month...despite a couple two or three freeze-ups that were fixed by a reboot (and strangely, tech support says to use a surge protector to prevent this from happening, ...huh?) , I'm pretty pleased with it. The picture quality is just remarkable, and the motion video thumbnails of the chapters is just too cool...burning to disc is a breeze...I've got a much more responsive universal learning remote , although it doesn't have enough hard buttons to cover all the functions of the dvr, but the main stuff is covered..
post #293 of 729 Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Can you tell me if you can play avi files on a SD card with this unit?

I think the unit also has a USB port. Would this be for a card reader
or hard drive and if so what types of video can you play from this port.

I considering buying this unit this week.

thanks
KKTVRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitz View Post

have had the polaroid for about a month...despite a couple two or three freeze-ups that were fixed by a reboot (and strangely, tech support says to use a surge protector to prevent this from happening, ...huh?) , I'm pretty pleased with it. The picture quality is just remarkable, and the motion video thumbnails of the chapters is just too cool...burning to disc is a breeze...I've got a much more responsive universal learning remote , although it doesn't have enough hard buttons to cover all the functions of the dvr, but the main stuff is covered..

post #294 of 729 Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

If it doesn't, I'd might as well grab my ankles and say "thank you sir, may I have another" and be happy because I live 45 miles South of the Grand Canyon and the only way I can get anything piped to my house is from a bloody Satellite, including my freaking water!

If you can't get 16:9 out of the S-video, an alternate (and more expensive) solution would be to use the HD output from your satellite box & run it through a scaler to 480i for recording.

Quote:

Which reminds me that the previous Polaroid (2001G) that I had a couple months ago and took back because it wouldn't cooperate with the laws of physics, had an HD component input (rare, if not the only one that has it) which would allow a satellite receiver's HD component output to feed into that.

Actually, the Polaroid's component input allows HD _passthrough_ when the unit is off, but when recording still requires a 480i signal (won't record directly off the HD signal).
post #295 of 729 Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

...I have posted a PNG pic of the lousy analog reception, other units see this channel clean

That's clearly(no pun intended) a horrible picture. In this day of digital and HD TV, a picture like this is simply unacceptable. Almost seems like a lousy cable connection. I can't imagine any tuner putting an image like that on the screen!

I'm looking at this unit for part-time use at an apt I use while on travel. I think I better reconsider.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #296 of 729 Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I later found a bad cable that seemed to be letting in RF interference and like that even though the other units were not getting it. I have since given up on this unit and got the philips 3575, the tuner over all just works better, especially the QAM cable part. If I could have gotten one that worked OK with QAM I probably would have kept it, I tried 3 of them... I believe ONE user reported getting a unit that worked perfectly on all tuner functions.
The philips has QAM channel memory problems that they claim they are working out a firmware for but it doesn't pixelate and drop out all the time like this unit did to me.
post #297 of 729 Old 06-28-2007, 06:13 PM

I am using the Polaroid 1601 DVR to record about 100 hours per week of classes for our homeschool off of a satellite. The first one I purchased froze and I had to return it. I lost a week's worth of classes.

The second one is now not allowing me to finalize the DVDs, and they are unable to play on other DVD players. I burned 10 DVDs today. The first 6 worked finalized fine. The next 4 have not. I can't even pull up the option screen that is needed to finalize.

The Panasonic support suggested that I go get some DVD+Rs instead of the DVD-Rs that I was using, and to unplug the unit for a couple of hours. I did that. It still won't allow me to finalize the DVDs. They now suggest I exchange this second unit as well.

You guys here seem very knowledgeable about these products. I actually started out looking for the Phillips 3455 (I think that was the model) but they seem to have taken them off the market.

Any ideas? I am beyond frustrated. I cannot recapture these classes, and we need them next month.

Thanks!
post #298 of 729 Old 06-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Oh, an important function I need in a unit is the ability to split the recordings. I record blockfeeds that are 4-6 hours each, then I have to split them into classes that are 30-45 minutes each and rename them. That way the kids can easily find their classes each day. This unit has the capability to do it, but it is extremely cumbersome and time-consuming. I have already spent close to 8 hours on one class alone.

I sure would appreciate any ideas on this problem as well.

Thanks!
Lesley
post #299 of 729 Old 06-29-2007, 02:32 PM

About ready to pop for this but now reading to many negative posts.

Whatelse has similar features. I need it to have a SD card slot
and digital tuner for over the air and cable.

KKTVRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKTVRO View Post

Can you tell me if you can play avi files on a SD card with this unit?

I think the unit also has a USB port. Would this be for a card reader
or hard drive and if so what types of video can you play from this port.

I considering buying this unit this week.

thanks
KKTVRO

post #300 of 729 Old 06-29-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof6 View Post

I am using the Polaroid 1601 DVR to record about 100 hours per week of classes for our homeschool off of a satellite. The first one I purchased froze and I had to return it. I lost a week's worth of classes.

The second one is now not allowing me to finalize the DVDs, and they are unable to play on other DVD players. I burned 10 DVDs today. The first 6 worked finalized fine. The next 4 have not. I can't even pull up the option screen that is needed to finalize.

The Panasonic support suggested that I go get some DVD+Rs instead of the DVD-Rs that I was using, and to unplug the unit for a couple of hours. I did that. It still won't allow me to finalize the DVDs. They now suggest I exchange this second unit as well.

You guys here seem very knowledgeable about these products. I actually started out looking for the Phillips 3455 (I think that was the model) but they seem to have taken them off the market.

Any ideas? I am beyond frustrated. I cannot recapture these classes, and we need them next month.

Thanks!

On your Polaroid, it's worth a try to see if the "DST Bug" is causing your disc ops problems. Simple to find out:

1. Reset the Polaroid.
2. Set clock manually.
3. Turn DST OFF.

If that doesn't help, get a Philips DVDR3575H ($298 at Wal-Mart). I have two and recommend them...easy to do what you are trying to do.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page