post #361 of 729 Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

I am not using an antenna and not OTA HD.
It's connected to my ComCast Basic Cable, which sends analog and digital signals concurrently. My Philips HDTV is able to pick up all those digital stations and display them in perfect HD/DTV quality. The Polaroid has drop outs on stations below 16.1, which includes these national stations 4.1 (abc), 5.1 (nbc), 7.1 (cbs), and 13.1 (fox).

I bought the Polaroid with the main purpose to record prime time shows from THOSE channels. I can get 4.1 and 5.1 from 79.4 and 79.5, but I am still missing 7.1, 11.1, 13.1, and 22.1. Again, these channels drop too much.

Will try to troubleshoot some more later:

1. Get a digital coaxial cable.
2. Connect cable directly to house plug.
3. Try using the analog side (analog has poor quality on the LCD tv).
4. ????

For symptoms similar to yours, we found that old splitters in the signal path attenuated some native channels to the point where some QAM tuners would not lock them in. Comcast actually came out and replaced two splitters inside the wall (of a condo belonging to a relative of mine) and solved all of the problems.

If you have not already done so, try connecting the new DVD recorder as close to the incoming cable as possible to see if you get different results.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 AM

So anyone know the answers to these questions?

What is the largest drive the DRA-01601A will accept?

Can you add a drive via USB and record TV to it?

G
post #363 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Just a quick note to let those still wondering know...replacing the led in the remote with the radio shack 276-143 led makes a world of difference in response and it's a simple task with even basic soldering skills...make sure you get some desoldering braid and it sucks the old solder right up so you can easily remove the old led and put the new one in...just note that inside the led on the metal pieces there is a "fat side" and a "skinny side" and make sure the new led is facing the same way as the old one.

As for taking the remote apart...you really do just have to find a spot and start prying it apart....and then work your way around the remote...it all snaps back together...I started around the led.....
post #364 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf View Post

Just a quick note to let those still wondering know...replacing the led in the remote with the radio shack 276-143 led makes a world of difference in response and it's a simple task with even basic soldering skills...make sure you get some desoldering braid and it sucks the old solder right up so you can easily remove the old led and put the new one in...just note that inside the led on the metal pieces there is a "fat side" and a "skinny side" and make sure the new led is facing the same way as the old one.

As for taking the remote apart...you really do just have to find a spot and start prying it apart....and then work your way around the remote...it all snaps back together...I started around the led.....

I recorded a 2 hour show from CBS (Oprah Winfrey's One more Day for my mom)....I was attempting to go into the show on HDD and "segment" it to cut out the commercials but it tells me "This show is protected".....excuse me? I'm the one that recorded it...how is it protected?

it is protected til you unprotect it, when go to your list,the area where you segment go all the way down the list and click unprotect. factory default is to protect .
post #365 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediemash View Post

it is protected til you unprotect it, when go to your list,the area where you segment go all the way down the list and click unprotect. factory default is to protect .

Thanks for the reply...I found that out and edited my post but it must have been at the same time you were already replying...I did get it unprotected and I did go into the recording trying to "segment" the commercials..it says to press "enter" at start of segment and at end...but when I did..nothing happened as far as I can tell...I did FF till I got to where the commercial was...got aggravated and just dumped the whole show, commercials and all to the dvd.
post #366 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 02:21 PM

it takes practice, right were you want to start you press ok 1 time and then if you forward a little you will see if its taking it because it will be darker and then you press ok again when at end of your edit.
post #367 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf View Post

For taking the remote apart without damaging it:

Remove the Batt cover, insert a flat screwdrive into batt compartment at bottom of remote until it rests at the very bottom of back cover, then press downward on screwdriver gently until you hear cover pop loose at that point. Then use screwdriver to pry at sides until bottom cover comes off.

Make that a SMALL screwdriver. It's got to go into that small rectanglar opening at bottom of battery compartment.
post #368 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM

anyone know the default password?

I can't input a new pass
post #369 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM

i think its 3228, ive never had a reason to mess with password but they said what the password is at woot forum
post #370 of 729 Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post

Mark, that digital input if for OTA ( Over the Air). If you have a set of old rabbit ears, try hooking that up and see what it can find.

I got one of the woot polaroids, and am now very lost...

longtime lurker, joined to post bc I could not find anything addressing my idiocy setup is older P4, nvidia card supporting multimonitors, wintv-pvr-150 w IRBlaster, wintv6 &/or 2000. 27" "old" tv, but with composite inputs/output, s-vid input, coax input. comcast digital cable/moto set top box, no premium channels. and the aforementioned polaroid DRA01601A. Cable box to card: coax. Cable box to DVR: composite. DVR to TV: composite. My goals:

1) time shift, recording to external HDD on main computer (through WinTV) or DVR (using DVR program; WinTV will play a role here by having IRBlaster change the channel on the cable box since the DVR has no way to do it?)

2) watch live tv with WinTV on monitor or TV
3) play recorded shows on DVR to TV

issues I am fighting with:
1) cannot get the cable box to talk to the wintv card. it used to, but I was tweaking something and changed the cabling and now it does not. running coax out from cable box to Cable/Antenna In on the card). Scan cannot find any analog channels to me to set up the Blaster list on.

2) TV did run DVR as Aux2 when the composites was plugged in front; does not show up when the cables are plugged in back. UPDATE: tested in front again & worked - jacks in back may be dead

does anyone have suggestions on reviving my cable/wintv connection? it looks from the manual that the other inputs (composite video, single jack for audio) are intended for additional devices (VCR, etc), so I have not yet tried using those as inputs from the cable box
post #371 of 729 Old 12-12-2007, 02:51 PM

Will the Polaroid Dvd/HDD recorder (01601A) decode DD AND DTS to the analog audio outputs? I tried playing back the Beatles Help! disc (DTS) and nothing at the analog outs. (5.1 outputs) Could be operator error. (Me!)
Bern
post #372 of 729 Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 AM

for anyone who doesnt know this yet this unit has a guide, to get guide press title. it will only give you a few hours for the channel you are on, but i was surprised it had a guide, i didnt recall mention of a guide on this unit before.
post #373 of 729 Old 12-13-2007, 11:07 AM

the QAM is pretty crappy now

I recorded a show on qam and it was ok for 3 minutes then the rest of the hour was no signal. If I turn it on and off, the signal is back.
post #374 of 729 Old 12-15-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:

for anyone who doesnt know this yet this unit has a guide, to get guide press title. it will only give you a few hours for the channel you are on, but i was surprised it had a guide, i didnt recall mention of a guide on this unit before.

Yeah, your right! This unit does have a TV Guide! Shows right up too, not like my Set Top Box which takes about 10-20 secs to display. But odd thing is my guide has the time 6 hrs behind. The shows on the guide is correct except the time is off by 6 hrs. So is the time display when I press the MENU button. THe time on the front panel is correct and the recorded times work correctly. I'm on Eastern time. Dont think that has something to do with it. Guess I need to reset to factory defaults. Anyone else having a problem?
post #375 of 729 Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 AM

mines the same exact way, at least when youre on a channel you will know whats on there for the next few hours,even if the time is off (im on east coast too).
maybe the next model they can make the guide interact with guide
post #376 of 729 Old 12-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:

mines the same exact way, at least when youre on a channel you will know whats on there for the next few hours,even if the time is off (im on east coast too).
maybe the next model they can make the guide interact with guide

If you go in and change your time zone to Samo you will find the internal time matching the guide time. I guess that is where DVRs where made at.
post #377 of 729 Old 12-18-2007, 01:47 PM

I saw Roger_M post that he had this same problem I face. I never did follow the solution.

Is the solution to just create the timers one by one and then never go back and check the channels setting in each timer, once the timer is created?

Here's the problem I face:

I tried to record suvivor season finale. Well it tuned to the wrong channel and didn't record the right show.

I went into the timer menu and checked, it changed channels on the 6 timers to all use the same channel.

I deleted all my 6 timers and recreate 2 new ones.

The crazy thing is, if I create one timer with say channel 5-1 then next create another timer with say channel 9-5, both timers change to channel 9-5.

I called tech support, they had me reset to factory defaults, (which I already tried) and it had no effect. They offer me a return replace but don't want to risk it being worse off than this one.

I unplugged the thing overnight hoping it would fix, but no luck. It still has the same timers and memory channels and the clock is even correct!

Where is it saving all the channels, clock time and timers with no power? On the hard disk or something? It must have a battery to keep the clock running.

I did do the "reformat hard drive" in setup, had no effect on the timers issue.

Besides format, maybe there is some secret place in the menus to really reset everything to initial factory state? Or perhaps it has internal jumper pins to short out to reset everything?

I really want to get it working.

Thanks
post #378 of 729 Old 12-18-2007, 01:50 PM

What other brands should I try with my GE Universal remote that uses 3digit codes?

I tried a few codes that I could find here:

http://www.jascoproducts.com/support...-Digit-New.pdf

Tried Polaroid and a few others, can't find one that matches.

Is there another brand I should try that uses same codes? Saw someone post in this thread that LiteOn is similar and Magnavox is similar. Didn't try those yet.

My thumb hurts just thinking about having to use the stock remote. Maybe I will try to swap the LED.

Thanks
post #379 of 729 Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 PM

Bug Me Not,
That post about the guide time solution was just an observation and not a fix. Seems the Chinese company that made the DVR did not fix the problem before putting product out for us consumers.
The problem you are having with the DTV digital recording timers is another problem that they overlooked. I had noticed that before and found that if you go back in and check the Timer for that program the channel would change to what ever Digital channel you were currently looking at. Just make a timer entry and dont go back in and look at it. Trust me when I say it will work ok on different channels. I record three different digital channels everyday.

good luck,
Roger
post #380 of 729 Old 12-21-2007, 04:11 AM

what is the longest anyone has had the dra=01601a up and running, it seems most break down after a few months so i was curious if there was anyone who had one longer and works great, i know many people who has had the older model for 2 yrs and still running great i dont know if this new model is going to have as good rep or notl
post #381 of 729 Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 AM

I'd also like to know about the longevity of these units. BTW, I received a response from Polaroid about the warranty. It's 1 year and they will cover a unit purchased on eBay provided you have proof that it was new when purchased
post #382 of 729 Old 12-26-2007, 07:21 AM

I have been a user of the Polaroid DRM-2001G for some time now, and I need a second recorder. Is there any BIG reason why I should upgrade to the DRA-01601A considering that I do not need an ATSC tuner. I record from the
component output of my Directv H20, and have my OTA antenna connected to
the H20.
post #383 of 729 Old 12-26-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostarr View Post

I have been a user of the Polaroid DRM-2001G for some time now, and I need a second recorder. Is there any BIG reason why I should upgrade to the DRA-01601A considering that I do not need an ATSC tuner. I record from the
component output of my Directv H20, and have my OTA antenna connected to
the H20.

i would not upgrade to the new model if you dont need the dig tuner, the only thing the new model has going for it is the dig tuner and 6 hr buffer, which will help you bypass macrovision, if you have another dvd recorder.
post #384 of 729 Old 12-26-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... the only thing the new model has going for it is the dig tuner and 6 hr buffer, which will help you bypass macrovision

I don't understand what you mean here. Could you explain further please?

Dave
post #385 of 729 Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

I don't understand what you mean here. Could you explain further please?

if you are refering to the macrovision bit, its if you play a movie that has macrovision connected to new model , it can and then you rewind to begining and then play the movie thats on the new recorder and record it with another recorder, it takes longer to do it that way but it works.
post #386 of 729 Old 12-26-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if you are refering to the macrovision bit, its if you play a movie that has macrovision connected to new model , it can and then you rewind to begining and then play the movie thats on the new recorder and record it with another recorder, it takes longer to do it that way but it works.

Thanks, I was wondering about the Macrovision bit.

Dave
post #387 of 729 Old 12-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:

So, really what you are saying is that you have to have a DRM-2001G sending to a DRA-01601A to do this. Cool! Now I have to get one of the older models from Ebay!
post #388 of 729 Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post

So, really what you are saying is that you have to have a DRM-2001G sending to a DRA-01601A to do this. Cool! Now I have to get one of the older models from Ebay!

the way i have mine setup maybe a little excessive but i will play the dvd in just a regular dvd player connected to the 1601 after the movie is through i will back track it to the beginning of the movie and then i will connect the 1601 to either the front or rear ports of the 2001 and let it play and record it on the 2001.
post #389 of 729 Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 PM

Could anyone tell me more details about this Polaroid DRA-01601A HDD/DVD recorder.......

I purchased a brand new Polaroid DRA-01601A for $159.99 Canadian at a Canadian Liquidator and the first unit I had would not hold ATSC Digital channels....and it would not recognize any DVD blanks discs I put in it for recording purposes........so it seemed typical of most of the consumer complaints and problems with this recorder.

I pick up my TV signal from antenna (OTA) and not from cable ...I have high end RG6 coaxial cable with very new antenna mast along with an antenna amp and a 40 foot tower.....my over signal pickup is very good.

I can pick up about 14 digital channels out of Detroit (and another 12 out of Cleveland if I turn the antenna)....so I have a total of about 26 digital OTA channels to choose from.

So far, the second unit I got is working perfectly......it holds the digital channels, timer records on the correct time and it recognizes both DVD+/-R discs and even plays WMA music files. It seems to play mpeg/.avi files too .....the only thing it doesn't play that Im a bit disappointed in are MP3s recorded onto DVD-r.

As others have reported, my program guide (which is handy) is also out by about 6 hours (I have my unit set to Eastern Time without auto Daylight Savings on .....one strange thing I noticed is that the program guide carries over the last 7 characters from one channels program description to the next channels program description......so they kind of meld together in the show description from one channel to another ....so that is weird......I dont know how to clear that in the program guide as you surf from channel to channel ?

Also, I don't see any setting for "auto clock set" as has been mentioned in previous posts........I have to set my time manually, but my date set up correctly ? So Im not sure how the date was set correctly, but not the time ? Where is the auto clock setup availability in the setup menu ...I couldn't find it ?

The liquidator I purchased from also had the Philips 160 GB HDD/DVD recorder on sale after Christmas for $179.99, but they were refurb. units....and they didnt have any left when I went in, so I opted for this Polaroid..............I also have the Philips recorder and I think I prefer it over the Polaroid....it just seems easier to operate and has an overall better menu interface......also the Philips is 1080p compatable, were the Polaroid is only 480p max

Overall, the Philips and Polaroid are both intriguing units..they each seem to have unique features.

Anyone else have the minor issues like the ones I am having with my second Polaroid unit ?

Also, does anyone know if there are any firmware updates for the unit yet ?

Happy New Year All !!

Edit:

I have to add this ......This Polaroid Unit is Indestructable !!

I had my second Polaroid HDD Recorder temporarily connected to my bedroom HD TV to give it a workout after getting the defective first unit, and what do I do ? .....I accidentally knocked the recorder off the bedroom dresser...it fell 3 feet onto its end into low-pile berber carpet with a loud "BOOM" !!

I figured....this will do it in for sure now....it's going to be pure toast after that crash !!

Well, guess what ? , everything still works great on it...it records pre-set timer recordings to the HD without any problem....keeps the ATSC digital channels in memory without any problem...........it even reads DVD -/+ discs without any problem. I figured that the laser lens would have gotten misaligned after that fall.....This second unit I got seems indestructable ! ! I think Im going to keep it .....if it could hold up to that abuse, it should be good for a few years at least !! LOL I still cant figure out how to get the time to set automatically as previously discussed in this thread. ???? Unless it was a coincidence, it did set the date correctly without any problem, just not the time.

Has anyone tried upgrading to the YesDVD Booster pack available at this site for free....for this Polaroid HDD Recorder ?

http://www.yesdvd.com/recorder/downloads/default.aspx
post #390 of 729 Old 01-01-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montward View Post

Could anyone tell me more details about this Polaroid DRA-01601A HDD/DVD recorder.......

I purchased a brand new Polaroid DRA-01601A for $159.99 Canadian at a Canadian Liquidator and the first unit I had would not hold ATSC Digital channels....and it would not recognize any DVD blanks discs I put in it for recording purposes........so it seemed typical of most of the consumer complaints and problems with this recorder.

I pick up my TV signal from antenna (OTA) and not from cable for HD tuner ...I have high end RG6 coaxial cable with an antenna amp and a 40 foot tower.....my over signal pickup is very good.

I can pick up about 14 digital channels out of Detroit (and another 12 out of Cleveland if I turn the antenna)....so I have a total of about 26 digital OTA channels to choose from.

So far, the second unit I got is working perfectly......it holds the digital channels, timer records on the correct time and it recognizes both DVD+/-R discs and even plays WMA music files. It seems to play .avi files too .....the only thing it doesn't play that Im a bit disappointed in are MP3s recorded onto DVD-r.

As others have reported, my program guide (which is handy) is also out by about 3 hours (I have my unit set to Eastern Time without auto Daylight Savings on .....one strange thing I noticed is that the program guide carries over the last 7 characters from one channels program description to the next channels program description......so they kind of meld together in the show description from one channel to another ....so that is weird......I dont know how to clear that in the program guide as you surf from channel to channel ?

Also, I don't see any setting for "auto clock set" as has been mentioned in previous posts........I have to set my time manually, but my date set up correctly ? So Im not sure how the date was set correctly, but not the time ? Where is the auto clock setup availability in the setup menu ?

The liquidator I purchased from also had the Philips 160 GB HDD/DVD recorder on sale after Christmas for $179.99, but they were refurb. units....and they didnt have any left when I went in, so I opted for this Polaroid..............I also have the Philips recorder and I think I prefer it over the Polaroid....it just seems easier to operate and has an overall better menu interface......also the Philips is 1080p compatable, were the Polaroid is only 480p max

Overall, the Philips and Polaroid are both intriguing units..they each seem to have unique features.

Anyone else have the minor issues like the ones I am having with my second Polaroid unit ?

Also, does anyone know if there are any firmware updates for the unit yet ?

Happy New Year All !!

Edit:

I have to add this ......This Polaroid Unit is Indestructable !!

I had my second Polaroid HDD Recorder temporarily connected to my bedroom HD TV to give it a workout after getting the defective first unit, and what do I do ? .....I accidentally knocked the recorder off the bedroom dresser...it fell 3 feet onto its end into low-pile berber carpet with a loud "BOOM" !!

I figured....this will do it in for sure now....it's going to be pure toast after that crash !!

Well, guess what ? , everything still works great on it...it records pre-set timer recordings to the HD without any problem....keeps the ATSC digital channels in memory without any problem...........it even reads DVD -/+ discs without any problem. I figured that the laser lens would have gotten misaligned after that fall.....This second unit I got seems indestructable ! ! I think Im going to keep it .....if it could hold up to that abuse, it should be go for a few years at least !! LOL I still cant figure out how to get the time to set automatically as previously discussed in this thread. ???? Unless it was a coincidence, it did set the date correctly without any problem, just not the time.

1 thing you have to watch out with these units is the fan, they can be noisy but easily replaced, in a lot of ways the earlier model was better but it didnt have the 6 hr buffer or the digital tuner, ive had the older model for 2 yrs, and i now i have this model, it comes real handy having 2 dvrs. with the new model i do alot of football recording and editing out all the commercials, i get the football games off the digital tuner and pretty much if you have a good antenna the channels stay in good, but definitely need an large outdoor antenna, i generally bring in 45 channels. with these dvrs they are some minor problems and issues, but i havent seen any other dvr that can do all these do and if someone has let me know what it is.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page