DRA-01601A: DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive Info - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2008, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well mine just died today. It had been on for a few hours but not being used, when I went to turn it off it would not power off at all not with the remote or with the front power switch and nothing else worked on the unit either so I pulled the power plug out for a minute or so thinking that would reset it. When I plugged it back in again it was dead, it would not power on, no red power light, no display, no video, nothing, except the fan was on that was it. I left it unplugged for half the day and tried it again and it's still the same, DEAD!!

This was one of the Woot.com $99 specials. I went to the Woot forum and see that there are quite a lot of problems with these units, mostly similar problems to mine. They have to be really cheap ass pieces of crap for there to be that many problems. This was working just fine right before this happened so BEWARE, yours could and probably will die shortly.

Has anyone sent theirs back to Woot for a refund? Any problems doing so? This is the first time I ever bought anything from Woot, and it will probably be my last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The power supply on that thing is probably bad, that happens to a lot of the cheap Chinese made units as they use underrated cheap parts in them. Might have some bad caps, diodes, whatever. The Apex ad600a player was famous for it as well and some of the enthusiast started rebuilding the things them selves and for others. I spose it depends on whether you have any electronics knowledge or know someone that does and how well you like the thing at this point.
I tried 3 of them and took them all back when they first came out because the QAM tuner was dropping out so bad they were all unusable. Maybe they have since fixed the tuners. I have a couple of the Philips ones now, they have issues as well with remembering QAM channels but when they get it in it stays locked on.
I think Woot is fairly good about helping with issues but I have never had to send anything back so far. And at that price I doubt it has any extra warranty but good luck whatever way you decide to go.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 AM

No it's not the power supply. When power is applied the fan runs ok and also the red power light will go on for just a second or two and then it will go out.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchman View Post

No it's not the power supply. When power is applied the fan runs ok and also the red power light will go on for just a second or two and then it will go out.

maybe its the video card.

i had one died but the fan would not run, there was no powere to it at all
Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 AM

Its the switching power IC like the ones in the PC power supplies. Overheating killed the IC.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ontario View Post

Its the switching power IC like the ones in the PC power supplies. Overheating killed the IC.

Is it an easy fix? Or is it a surface mount IC?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 PM

Well I called Polaroid this afternoon and spoke to a very nice woman who gave me an RMA number to have it replaced. I told her I didn't want it replaced with the older 2001G model because the digital tuner is more important to me and that I read on the forums of all the others who had bad units that wanted to return them that were told they were only replacing them with the older model. She stated she was told in a meeting that they would be replaced with the same digital tuner model and not the old one, so we'll see what happens when I get it. I'll report back on which one I receive.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM

Its not surface mounted.

Good to know that Polaroid will replace it.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post

Bug Me Not,
That post about the guide time solution was just an observation and not a fix. Seems the Chinese company that made the DVR did not fix the problem before putting product out for us consumers.
The problem you are having with the DTV digital recording timers is another problem that they overlooked. I had noticed that before and found that if you go back in and check the Timer for that program the channel would change to what ever Digital channel you were currently looking at. Just make a timer entry and dont go back in and look at it. Trust me when I say it will work ok on different channels. I record three different digital channels everyday.

good luck,
Roger

THANKS, It works Great. I understand not to look at the timers once created now.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM

I have been copying some of my pictures in .jpg format successfully from SD card to the hard disk.

Now, I was trying to copy them off the hard disk to another SD card or USB hard disk.

Looks like it's impossible. The "copy to" destination, it will only allow you to select somewhere on the hard disk. The USB simply disappears off of the list of destinations. I found that to be strange that you cannot copy from the hard disk to anywhere else. Anyone know a workaround?

Also I read about going into setup mode and pushing "3,2,1,0" will change to region free. This also shows the firmware version.

Maybe someone can figure out how to extract the firmware and modify it to allow copy off the hard disk? That would be awesome.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot55 View Post

I have been copying some of my pictures in .jpg format successfully from SD card to the hard disk.

Now, I was trying to copy them off the hard disk to another SD card or USB hard disk.

Looks like it's impossible. The "copy to" destination, it will only allow you to select somewhere on the hard disk. The USB simply disappears off of the list of destinations. I found that to be strange that you cannot copy from the hard disk to anywhere else. Anyone know a workaround?

Also I read about going into setup mode and pushing "3,2,1,0" will change to region free. This also shows the firmware version.

Maybe someone can figure out how to extract the firmware and modify it to allow copy off the hard disk? That would be awesome.

Wow !!...Gotta Love this forum .....more interesting info keeps coming along .....great work all !!

I followed instructions and the firmware version pop up box that comes up on my unit displays the following:

VER: SZ_0089_V03_HDMI/LOADER: CT02

DEVELOPER: GVT_52 Ver2.4

YESDVD Vers: 2.1.1.51.31807-3838

HDCP: TRUE

All other fields in this pop up box are empty.....any suggestions on possible ways to navigate deeper into the "brain" of this awesome little beast of a DVD recorder ? When this firmware version information box pops up, none of the fields within it appear to be editable...just an "OK" button to click to exit the box

So, once you enter this info screen and click "OK" to acknowledge the information, does this action automatically set the player to region free ?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 PM

Did I say something wrong in my previous post ? LOL ......No one has posted anything on this forum since my last post of Jan 24th ?

I ran into an issue with my Polaroid DVD recorder that I had never encountered in my useage so far.

I had about 40 GB of video stored on my Polaroid HD ...I had transfered about 7 DVD's of music videos that I had previously recorded and also had about 10 timer recorded shows that I wanted to go back and edit and transfer to DVD ....my most recent timer recording was unsuccessful....it showed a thumbnail of the start of what I recorded when the timer recording started, and also showed that 1 hr and 55 mins of video was recorded, but it would not play anything ? It was like it had just recorded the thumbnail clip and that was it ?

I noticed at the time when I added all my music videos from DVD onto the HD, it seemed to put them under a separate partition on the HD. I also noticed when showing the HD information through the setup menu....I am confused about how it is allocates and partitions the HD for recording ? It looks as though about 153 GB is actual "usable" HD storage space for writing ....and out of that, portions are allocated for different things......

I figured maybe the HD was full...even though the HD info showed lots of space left....only had used about 40 GB out of 153 G available.

When I re-formatted the HD and of course lost all my HD content in doing so, I re-tested timer recording and it now will record again without any problem ? Anyone have any idea what may have happened or have perhaps run into the same issue ?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montward View Post

Did I say something wrong in my previous post ? LOL ......No one has posted anything on this forum since my last post of Jan 24th ?

I ran into an issue with my Polaroid DVD recorder that I had never encountered in my useage so far.

I had about 40 GB of video stored on my Polaroid HD ...I had transfered about 7 DVD's of music videos that I had previously recorded and also had about 10 timer recorded shows that I wanted to go back and edit and transfer to DVD ....my most recent timer recording was unsuccessful....it showed a thumbnail of the start of what I recorded when the timer recording started, and also showed that 1 hr and 55 mins of video was recorded, but it would not play anything ? It was like it had just recorded the thumbnail clip and that was it ?

I noticed at the time when I added all my music videos from DVD onto the HD, it seemed to put them under a separate partition on the HD. I also noticed when showing the HD information through the setup menu....I am confused about how it is allocates and partitions the HD for recording ? It looks as though about 153 GB is actual "usable" HD storage space for writing ....and out of that, portions are allocated for different things......

I figured maybe the HD was full...even though the HD info showed lots of space left....only had used about 40 GB out of 153 G available.

When I re-formatted the HD and of course lost all my HD content in doing so, I re-tested timer recording and it now will record again without any problem ? Anyone have any idea what may have happened or have perhaps run into the same issue ?

Thanks

that is an odd problem, i know there a section that you cant record on and supposedly that would be the buffer space, and i know these units once you get them close to their limit they will start acting funny and not do right,but it sounds like you had plenty of space, maybe you had too many titles, there is a rumor floating around they can only handle so many titles and after a set amount they either dont show the rest of them or they act up or something, it makes me wonder if its because in this model they use the samsung instead of the wd like they used in the 2001g model. in this newer model they do have the nice feature of combining titles, so that should take care take of having too many titles.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 AM

Too many titles.....that may very well be the problem I had........I think I had well over 600 individual music video file titles alone and then about another 10 show titles that I had recorded off timer........and more timer recorders were set....but at some point, one additional timer recording pushed the HD "over the edge" and prevented any further recording.....so maybe that was indeed the problem. I will limit the number of files I store on the HD from here on.

The limit must be near the 600 file number as I had these music videos loaded onto the Polaroid for about 2 weeks now and the Polaroid played them all well...even random playback worked like a charm !! And it also recorded new timer recordings without any problems ....it was just after the last two timer recordings that I experienced this issue....so the file limit must be about 600

And all along, I was more concerned about HD space available and never gave any thought to the HD having limits to the number of files it can manage as well.. . . interesting.

Thanks for your feedback ediemash !!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Too many titles.....that may very well be the problem I had........I think I had well over 600 individual music video file titles alone and then about another 10 show titles that I had recorded off timer........and more timer recorders were set....but at some point, one additional timer recording pushed the HD "over the edge" and prevented any further recording.....so maybe that was indeed the problem. I will limit the number of files I store on the HD from here on.

The limit must be near the 600 file number as I had these music videos loaded onto the Polaroid for about 2 weeks now and the Polaroid played them all well...even random playback worked like a charm !! And it also recorded new timer recordings without any problems ....it was just after the last two timer recordings that I experienced this issue....so the file limit must be about 600

And all along, I was more concerned about HD space available and never gave any thought to the HD having limits to the number of files it can manage as well.. . . interesting.

Thanks for your feedback ediemash !!

to cure the title issue what i do is if its the same show or music videos i combine them, thats a nice feature on this product.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado2 View Post

I just picked up a 3575 at Wally World this weekend, and I have started dubbing some of my VHS tapes to DVD-R. So far, so good...although I'm a little concerned about Philips' "VR" mode. My plan is to eventually rip my discs to ISO's for playing back on a hard drive, so tonight I decided to play around with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. I created an ISO file with DVD Decrypter and then tried to compress it with DVD Shrink. I kept getting this error:

"Invalid DVD Navigation Structure"

Everything I could find on the internet says this has to do with copy protection, but I'm using a disc I recorded myself. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I just want to make sure that the Philips format isn't going to cause me any headaches down the road. Any thoughts??

Desperado2, I would take your question to the Philips forum ...Im sure Wajo or another Philips HD DVD recorder forum pro could assist you with this issue. The forum which you have posted in is for the Polaroid DRA-01601A HD DVD recorder

Philips Forum Link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=830253&pp=30
Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Desperado2, I would take your question to the Philips forum ...[/url]

Crap, I thought that's where I was. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 AM

I tried doing a DV tape to YesDVD transfer this weekend via firewire. I attached my 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable to my Sony DV tape camcorder and to the DVR DV input, setup the source on the DVR as the DV input, and pre-erased a DVD+RW disc (because I have had no luck creating DVD-RW discs). I noticed a few problems doing this kind of direct transfer:

1) Upon selecting the RECORD button on the remote, the DV tape automatically began playing in the camcorder, but the record did not start immediately. First, a menu popped up asking where to write (HDD or DISC?). After I selected the DISC, there was another couple seconds of delay before the actual recoding began. So now I have lost several seconds at the beginning of the recording. I tried several different ways to get around this issue (including using the pause on my camcorder), but was unsuccessful in all attempts.

2) The recording froze for several seconds somewhere in the middle of the 1 hour transfer, but it did recover. Unfortunately, the tape continued to play of course, and those seconds were lost from the recording. I don't know if that was an issue with the DVR or with the tape. My LCD display on the camcorder played the interval just fine with no problems.

3) At the end of the tape, I pressed the STOP button on the DVR remote. A menu appeared asing if I wanted to create the YesDVD now, and I answered "NO". The manual states that additional segments may be added to a YesDVD (stated on the first page of the YesDVD section). I changed tapes in my camcorder, because I wanted to add another 15 minute segment to the disc. However, everytime I pressed the RECORD button on the remote to begin recording the new segment, I just received the circle with the slash (/). It would not append to my current disc!!! By the way, the disc was setup in the 2 hour recording mode, so there was plenty of space on the disc to add more recording. This was the most frustrating problem of all.

Has anyone tried to append to a "stopped" YesDVD disc with success?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Well I called Polaroid this afternoon and spoke to a very nice woman who gave me an RMA number to have it replaced. I told her I didn't want it replaced with the older 2001G model because the digital tuner is more important to me and that I read on the forums of all the others who had bad units that wanted to return them that were told they were only replacing them with the older model. She stated she was told in a meeting that they would be replaced with the same digital tuner model and not the old one, so we'll see what happens when I get it. I'll report back on which one I receive.

UPDATE!!

I received my replacement unit today and it is the new model as promised. I hooked it up and all seems fine. I hope this one lasts a lot longer than the first one. LOL!!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 PM

Will the DRA-01601A let you upgrade the firmware?

What (if anything) would you say might put this type of recorder above another?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_v View Post

Will the DRA-01601A let you upgrade the firmware?

What (if anything) would you say might put this type of recorder above another?

polaroid is coming out with a new dvr in a few months, the first model was a good die hard type of dvr but had no digital tuner, the second is far from die hard and appears to have a few bugs in it, but it does alot for its money, the remote is a pain.

i dont think you can do a firmware upgrade it would be great if you could it would take care of the little bugs in it. the plus side with this dvr is if you have the know how you can take your whole movie collection but them on hard drives and connect them to the polaroid dvr.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:

UPDATE!!

I received my replacement unit today and it is the new model as promised. I hooked it up and all seems fine. I hope this one lasts a lot longer than the first one. LOL!!

Mitch,

Glad to hear that you got a replacement fairly quickly.

Would you do us a favor? Press setup, and 3,2,1,0 and see what software version and date it shows (the first two lines). If there is a newer version of software you likely have it and hopfully it fixes some of the bugs that we see. The date on mine is Apr 16 2007. And, if you have cable with clear QAM digital channels, test that too to see if they fixed the dropouts on those channels.

I am thinking about sending mine in because of probems with the QAM tuner (dropouts) and those (white) scan lines that we see in the picture. I don't want to waste my time if they aren't fixing those problems. Both of those problems could be design problems but they could be software problems too.

Bill R
Old 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R (# 2) View Post

Mitch,

Glad to hear that you got a replacement fairly quickly.

Would you do us a favor? Press setup, and 3,2,1,0 and see what software version and date it shows (the first two lines). If there is a newer version of software you likely have it and hopfully it fixes some of the bugs that we see. The date on mine is Apr 16 2007. And, if you have cable with clear QAM digital channels, test that too to see if they fixed the dropouts on those channels.

I am thinking about sending mine in because of probems with the QAM tuner (dropouts) and those (white) scan lines that we see in the picture. I don't want to waste my time if they aren't fixing those problems. Both of those problems could be design problems but they could be software problems too.

it also seems the longer you have the dvr the worse the problems become, like when i first got this unit i didnt have the white scan lines, now i do, also had them with the unit i had before, at first i thought maybe it was my connection but i found out later others had the same problem, also with the freeze ups
Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediemash View Post

it also seems the longer you have the dvr the worse the problems become, like when i first got this unit i didnt have the white scan lines, now i do, also had them with the unit i had before, at first i thought maybe it was my connection but i found out later others had the same problem, also with the freeze ups

You're not using the HDMI hookup, are you Edie? Mine had those lines and I went back to using the S-video hookup and unit works like a champ!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM

I noticed that I get pixalization when watching/recording from OTA HD channels, but not from plain OTA DTV channels. Any suggestions.

Currently using the composite cables.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
If I were OTA, I'd use Component or HDMI to preserve the Component signal received at the antenna.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoSquared View Post

I noticed that I get pixalization when watching/recording from OTA HD channels, but not from plain OTA DTV channels. Any suggestions.

Currently using the composite cables.

This sounds like a signal strength issue. Does it happen on all channels?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

If I were OTA, I'd use Component or HDMI to preserve the Component signal received at the antenna.

wajo (new screen name?) svideo is also "component". What is commonly refereed to as component video inputs/outputs on a CE device are also "component". Svideo inputs/outputs are 2 wire. Component inputs/outputs are 3 wire. But both are "component".
Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I assumed eveyone knew that S-Video was S-Video and Component was Component and HDMI was HDMI?

Just to clarify, what I meant by "Component" was those wires with the Red, Green, Blue ends... I think they call those RGB?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

This sounds like a signal strength issue. Does it happen on all channels?

It is fine in DTV, and my TV is fine in HD normally. It only appears on HD signals run through the DVR or playback from it. I ordered an S-video cable and going to order a component cable.