Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 729 Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Just stopping by here. A friend brought his 01601 in when it went dead and found one of the caps had failed as described. There are a number of products with this problem. I would suggest changing all 4 of the caps with a logo that looks like the Motorolla "M" but upside down. Two are 2200uf and two are 1000uf. 50 volt rating should be sufficient. I have found the 1000's bad in a lot of different DVD players and recorders.

There are a number of otherwise fine products that used these capacitors. The Oppo DVD players come to mind. They can be found in many name brand items also.

As for the remote, if you were to look at the output with a camcorder or digital camera, you would see that the beam is recessed so far into the plastic bubble that you can only see the flashing when it is aimed verrry carefully. I replaced the LED with one from an old Sony salvaged remote. After changing the LED, it would work from almost any angle or distance. (as far as I have heard from him so far)

Bingo!!! My first post is a thank you for isolating the problem I had from afar. Suffice it to say, I know how to solder from my train layout days but had never taken on a circuit board but I was able to easily identify the bad cap and replace it and its friends. The unit again works like new. Thank you for saving it from the trash bin for a total of about $10 and 30 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 729 Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to posting, but been following for months.

I just picked up one of these units as a 2nd unit, and everything works well except for the occasional white line that flickers across the screen like a connection is loose. Exactly like Ediemash described it:

"i didnt notice it at first but i would see i white line run across the line as if it were a wire connection problem, you would probably see it once every 20 min or so, the line on mine is on the upper part of screen runs straight across, i had assumed maybe i had a wire going bad or wire was loose and it didnt matter if it were the front or rear wire connection , it would do it on both, i havent paid attention if it does it on the digital tuner or not, ive had other people contact me naming similar symptoms, so i was wondering if its a polaroid glitch."

A couple of you mentioned that you had the same problem. I think someone referred to it as a "drop out" if I'm not mistaken. I've seen others complaining of this "video noise" on other forums.

Has anybody found a solution for this yet?
post #543 of 729 Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyvee View Post

Bingo!!! My first post is a thank you for isolating the problem I had from afar. Suffice it to say, I know how to solder from my train layout days but had never taken on a circuit board but I was able to easily identify the bad cap and replace it and its friends. The unit again works like new. Thank you for saving it from the trash bin for a total of about $10 and 30 minutes.

From where you managed to get these capacitors and IR LED ?
post #544 of 729 Old 07-19-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viki_3578 View Post

From where you managed to get these capacitors and IR LED ?

From digikey.com. I looked thru their online catalog, finally said "forget it", called them and in 5 minutes the gent on the other end had my capacitors and sent them to me. Measure the cap (the lead spacing is 5mm) and make note of the uF and volts (I forget what they were) and hope you had as much luck as easily as I did.
post #545 of 729 Old 07-22-2008, 01:46 PM

I have 2 of these Polaroid DRA-01601A HDD DVD recorders...they have both been working well for me over the past year.

Unfortunately, I experimented with one at my cottage trying to improve the OTA input signal by connecting a 14 DB Nextech signal booster directly to the coax line in to the recorder just like this one:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=1512505

After connecting this amplifier I could no longer receive digital stations on the Polaroid ATSC tuner. I dont know if this was a coincidence or not ....but I have tried everything and still cannot obtain any DTV signal on this Polaroid ATCS tuner....it's almost like the signal booster "fried" the ATSC tuner circuitry in the Polaroid recorder. When I try to do a DTV channel scan, it just goes to a black screen......is there anyway I can tell by looking at the circuitry inside the Polaroid to tell where the problem may be ? Or does anyone know of way to perhaps "reset" the ATSC tuner or Polaroid recorder itself ?

Again, I dont know whether this was my fault connecting the amplifier to the coax in on the Polaroid unit or if it was just a coincidence ? Up to now, the ATSC tuner in it had been working perfectly.

I used this 4 split Nexxtech broadband amplifier for my home OTA coax coming from antenna and feed a split signal to 8 components in my home and it has been working very nicely ...maintains a strong signal for all components.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=1512506

Others in the forum must have connected signal boosters to their home OTA coax network ......anyone else experience this issue ?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Montward
post #546 of 729 Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 AM

Liked: 13
I tried using a similar Radio Shack Broadband amp a while back and it didn't affect the ATSC tuner either negatively or positively. Since it didn't help, I removed it and the ATSC tuner is still working, though I do ( and have always) get sporadic reception of the NY stations ( i'm in NJ about 20 miles away from the ESB ). I get three of the major stations ( and their substations consistently), but CBS and NBC come in sporadically. Some times they come in fine but others time they totally disappear. I hoping they are still just tweaking their broadcast power. The QAM tuner in the Polaroid is virtually useless. I've had two different cable companies and no channels come in without pixelization whereas I get many QAM channels on my TV's QAM tuner without a problem..
post #547 of 729 Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Thanks for your feedback tahoejoe......appreciate it......I didn't think the broadband signal booster would have damaged the ATSC tuner in the Polaroid....but, you never know.....the build quality on these Polaroid recorders seems somewhat shakey. Up until now, I have not experienced any problems with either of the Polaroid recorders that I have in use.
post #548 of 729 Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Try pulling the power plug for awhile (10 min. or so?) and see if maybe it just needs a reset of its standby circuit. Maybe you caused a problem if connecting while unit was plugged in and on standby power? Easy thing to try, anyway.
post #549 of 729 Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM

Hi Wajo......I did try to reset the recorder by disconnecting the power for over an hour and then reconnected and tried the ATSC tuner....still no digital channels are being displayed.

I really appreciate you leaving me this suggestion on this forum Wajo ....I know the Philips 3575/76h is your true baby ...I have followed you regularly on the Philips forum and you have made absolutely remarkable contributions for so many in the Philips 3575/76H AVS forum.
I also have a Philips 3575 and love that recorder ......I have had absolutely no problems with the Philips ever ......it is a rock solid performer....especially compared to the Polaroid recorder.

I guess if I can't get the Polaroid recorder's ATSC tuner operating I can always load up the HD in it with music videos or several movies/TV shows

Regards,

Montward
post #550 of 729 Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
montward, thanks for the kind words, and glad to hear your 3575 is working great, like mine are!

Sorry the reset didn't work on the Polaroid.
post #551 of 729 Old 07-26-2008, 07:59 AM

After connecting this amplifier I could no longer receive digital stations on the Polaroid ATSC tuner. I dont know if this was a coincidence or not ....but I have tried everything and still cannot obtain any DTV signal on this Polaroid ATCS tuner....it's almost like the signal booster "fried" the ATSC tuner circuitry in the Polaroid recorder. When I try to do a DTV channel scan, it just goes to a black screen......

I noticed on the write up about your signal booster that it was for BROADBAND. Would that have realy worked for uhf/vhf amplification? Is it still in line with the Poloroid?

I've got a Stealth antenna with a power tap that injects 18 volts onto cable line for the preamp and it's hooked to my Set Top Box and Poloroid so I know that the Poloroid does tolerate at least 18 volts extra on coax line.
post #552 of 729 Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnd_hog View Post

I tried doing a DV tape to YesDVD transfer this weekend via firewire. I attached my 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable to my Sony DV tape camcorder and to the DVR DV input, setup the source on the DVR as the DV input, and pre-erased a DVD+RW disc (because I have had no luck creating DVD-RW discs). I noticed a few problems doing this kind of direct transfer:

1) Upon selecting the RECORD button on the remote, the DV tape automatically began playing in the camcorder, but the record did not start immediately. First, a menu popped up asking where to write (HDD or DISC?). After I selected the DISC, there was another couple seconds of delay before the actual recoding began. So now I have lost several seconds at the beginning of the recording. I tried several different ways to get around this issue (including using the pause on my camcorder), but was unsuccessful in all attempts.

2) The recording froze for several seconds somewhere in the middle of the 1 hour transfer, but it did recover. Unfortunately, the tape continued to play of course, and those seconds were lost from the recording. I don't know if that was an issue with the DVR or with the tape. My LCD display on the camcorder played the interval just fine with no problems.

3) At the end of the tape, I pressed the STOP button on the DVR remote. A menu appeared asing if I wanted to create the YesDVD now, and I answered "NO". The manual states that additional segments may be added to a YesDVD (stated on the first page of the YesDVD section). I changed tapes in my camcorder, because I wanted to add another 15 minute segment to the disc. However, everytime I pressed the RECORD button on the remote to begin recording the new segment, I just received the circle with the slash (/). It would not append to my current disc!!! By the way, the disc was setup in the 2 hour recording mode, so there was plenty of space on the disc to add more recording. This was the most frustrating problem of all.

Has anyone tried to append to a "stopped" YesDVD disc with success?

gnd_hog,

I read in one of the posts that you do not press the stop button, you press the pause button on the remote, then change tapes and resume.

I hope this helps. I know this post was a little old and you might have found out the solution but I also thought someone else might need the info.

I just ordered mine and I can't wait for it to get here.

Good Luck.
post #553 of 729 Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post

[i]I noticed on the write up about your signal booster that it was for BROADBAND. Would that have realy worked for uhf/vhf amplification? Is it still in line with the Poloroid?

I've got a Stealth antenna with a power tap that injects 18 volts onto cable line for the preamp and it's hooked to my Set Top Box and Poloroid so I know that the Poloroid does tolerate at least 18 volts extra on coax line.

The amplifier which I purchased from Circuit City is broadband but is also for VHF/UHF coax line signal amplification.... I have been using a 4 port unit for 4 years at home and it really improves my OTA signal......I think it injects 12 volts via coaxial power input to the unit and supposedly improves dB gain by +14 dBs

Seems like you are boosting your incoming signal to your Polaroid with equal or more amplification than me and you are not experiencing any problems....so, I guess it just must have been a coincidence that the digital tuner board went in my unit at the same time I experimented with trying to boost my antenna signal at the cottage.

Thanks for your feedback ....
post #554 of 729 Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montward View Post

The amplifier which I purchased from Circuit City is broadband but is also for VHF/UHF coax line signal amplification.... I have been using a 4 port unit for 4 years at home and it really improves my OTA signal......I think it injects 12 volts via coaxial power imput to the unit and supposedly improves dB gain by +14 dBs

Seems like you are boosting your incoming signal to your Polaroid with equal or more amplification than me and you are not experiencing any problems....so, I guess it just must have been a coincidence that the digital tuner board went in my unit at the same time I experimented with trying to boost my antenna signal at the cottage.

Thanks for your feedback ....

If you were wearing rubber soled shoes on a rug carpet, you may have zapped your cable line with you touched the bare coax center conductor with your bare hand and fried a vital component on the tuner board.
post #555 of 729 Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 AM

After February 2009, when broadcast stations convert to digital, will the Polaroid DRA-01601A serve in place of a converter box when used in conjunction with analog TV? I'm hoping it will since the Polaroid includes both an analog and digital tuner.
post #556 of 729 Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroots View Post

After February 2009, when broadcast stations convert to digital, will the Polaroid DRA-01601A serve in place of a converter box when used in conjunction with analog TV? I'm hoping it will since the Polaroid includes both an analog and digital tuner.

Yeah, the tuner is just like the converter boxes in receiving digital signals OTA.
post #557 of 729 Old 08-19-2008, 04:48 AM

Thanks Roger_M. It seemed like it should, but wanted to be sure.
post #558 of 729 Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 AM

Can anyone tell me where the best deals on the Polaroid are? I'm interested in new with warranty. They seem to be going for $70-100 used on eBay without warranty. I did find a great deal at http://www.greatestonlinedeals.com/p...s01601160.html, but suspect this outfit is not reputable (eg, my emails to them get rejected). Any help would be appreciated.
post #559 of 729 Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 AM

Anybody got an idea where I can get a replacement remote for the Polaroid 0160? I purchased a DVR on Ebay and it does not have a remote.
post #560 of 729 Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 AM

Have you tried Polaroid at Phone.866-289-5168?
post #561 of 729 Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 PM

Try remotes.com, search by model #. If they still have them in stock they run about $40. Pretty good company to deal with, fast shipping.
post #562 of 729 Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 PM

I bought a new Polaroid DRA-01601A 9 months ago, which just completely died (no power-on light) recently without any noise, smoke, or warning. I have noted previous posts that mention replacing the 1000uf and 2200uf electrolytic capacitors. I assume that these are the (6 ?) larger capacitors in the power supply. Is that correct? I've also noticed that there are an additional ~11 smaller capacitors and one huge capacitor in the power supply that are made by the same manufacturer (the inverted Motorola "M" logo). Has anyone had problems with these capacitors as well?

A second question relates to the picture quality. Before it went dead, I noticed that all recordings (even in the HQ mode) were of a noticeably inferior quality compared to the original broadcast. The quality is MUCH, MUCH worse than a VHS SLP recording. Is this standard quality for this DVR? How would you describe the quality of your recorded images?
post #563 of 729 Old 08-29-2008, 11:04 PM

but I really need it!
post #564 of 729 Old 08-30-2008, 10:26 AM

This is probably a stupid question but how do you deal with OTA signals that contain both analog and digital stations? Does one need to split the signal and connect to both analog and digital tuner inputs? I read that while OTA stations aren't required to switch to digital 'til February they are free to start conversion prior to then. Therefore, I'm anticipating a mix in the interim. Thanks for the help.
post #565 of 729 Old 08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

This is probably a stupid question but how do you deal with OTA signals that contain both analog and digital stations? Does one need to split the signal and connect to both analog and digital tuner inputs? I read that while OTA stations aren't required to switch to digital 'til February they are free to start conversion prior to then. Therefore, I'm anticipating a mix in the interim. Thanks for the help.

No split required. Just the coax straight into the RF input, and run a channel scan (if you have to run separate analog and digital channel scans though, be sure to do that. But you usually don't. The manual will tell you, if you just don't see it in the menu options first).

There's only one RF input on your unit anyway, so that should've already told you something right there.

Some models (like the Philips HDD/DVD recorder) have a button on the remote that you need to use to switch between analog and digital to watch them, but they are often just integrated together and you don't need to switch between the two. Just check your remote and manual and see if you need to do that.
post #566 of 729 Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 AM

We just bought this DVR on eBay. It was listed as not coming with the yesDVD software (install media)? Can someone tell us what this is? Thanks.
post #567 of 729 Old 08-30-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We just bought this DVR on eBay. It was listed as not coming with the yesDVD software (install media)? Can someone tell us what this is? Thanks.

http://www.yesdvd.com/why_yesdvd/yesdvd_features.aspx.
post #568 of 729 Old 08-30-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm still confused. I know yesDVD is built-in so what is the extra software for? Does it offer additional functions?
post #569 of 729 Old 08-30-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know if all the answers are there, but if you look at the other pages on that site, they do explain it more.
post #570 of 729 Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

No split required. Just the coax straight into the RF input, and run a channel scan (if you have to run separate analog and digital channel scans though, be sure to do that. But you usually don't. The manual will tell you, if you just don't see it in the menu options first).

There's only one RF input on your unit anyway, so that should've already told you something right there.

Some models (like the Philips HDD/DVD recorder) have a button on the remote that you need to use to switch between analog and digital to watch them, but they are often just integrated together and you don't need to switch between the two. Just check your remote and manual and see if you need to do that.

I'm really confused. My unit has two inputs: one for digital tuner and one for analog tuner. Also, my remote allows me to select ATV and DTV.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page