Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 729 Old 12-31-2009, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydiver119 View Post

thanks, i'm just not that confident on removing and resoldering it. If i could find a board, I know I could replace that.

as modular as things are anymore, it just seems odd that there's not a comparable replacement anywhere.

I had my doubts as well, but I followed the instructions at http://www.fixya.com/support/t216825...e_wait_display

scroll down the page to the step by step instructions with the pictures. It's a different unit but the concept should be the same for the polaroid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 729 Old 01-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Liked: 10
great!

thanks
post #633 of 729 Old 01-23-2010, 01:09 AM

I just want to thank everyone for helping me out with understanding my Polaroid DRA-1601. For anyone needing parts I was surprised recently to see that Heartland America has some of these units now. I never thought I would see these units sellin' again anywhere, got mine from Woot like some of y'all did. Also, I'm not sure it would of been an acceptable post if I put up a link to the Polaroid DRA-1601 at H.A. above but not a difficult place to find via search engine.
post #634 of 729 Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 AM

Just checked heartland america and it looks like it is already gone. It would have been acceptable to post a link. Out of curiosity, what price were they selling it for? I recently picked up a refurb magnavox 2160 from jr.com for $159 ( walmart also sells it new for $227) and, so far, it is a superior device. The QAM tuner actually works ( unlike the polaroid) and you don't get the annoying buzz ( or no stereo) on the analog channels that plagues the polaroid.
post #635 of 729 Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I checked yesterday morning and couldn't find anything about the Polo at Heartland. I get their catalogs and truthfully can't remember ever seeing a Polo, many Pannys and the occasional Maggy but not Polo. It must have been a real limited supply item. All I could find was Polaroid AA batteries.
post #636 of 729 Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 AM

Just noticed J&R is getting the Polaroids in and you can preorder for $139, free shipping.
post #637 of 729 Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Who is J&R?
post #638 of 729 Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Yeah their at J&R, but its refurb.
post #639 of 729 Old 02-27-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The Polaroid DRA01601A is now available for shipping.
Angst. Just when I decided to get a Mag 2160 (in Jan) they were sold out, and now they've got these. Is it likely they'll have more Maggies in even though they're selling this HDD model?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #640 of 729 Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
J&R might have the Polaroid around for a long time... they've got or have access to more than 500!

When I contacted J&R on 2/17, they told me about getting more than 500 Polaroids and didn't commit to getting any more 2160's but didn't rule it out either... sort of just wondered why I wasn't thrilled about the Polaroid. They "hoped they were good cuz they were getting a LOT of them"?
post #641 of 729 Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If I remember, the DRM2001G had component inputs, stripped copy protection from signals, even if merely used as a pass-through device, and was very easily upgradable, hard disk wise, but it lacks a digital tuner. Does the dra-01601a have the desirable features of the 2001?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #642 of 729 Old 03-02-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried 3 and am in this thread towards the beginning and also had one of the first 2001g units that I upgraded straight away when I got home with it.
I never tried putting a larger HD in mine as I hated the tuner, and the QAM tuner was the worst part of all 3 I tried. It looked nice but had constant signal dropouts so I finally gave up on them and got the Philips.
I THINK it could update the hard drive just as easily but you'll have to search in here for the guys that finally tried it.
I don't think it still had the component inputs either but it's been years since I had them in my hands.
post #643 of 729 Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 AM

Hey folks,

I'm about to pull the trigger one one of the refurbs and I was wondering, before I order, if anybody has any horror stories?

I usually wouldn't do the refurb and Poloriod crappy brand thing but there's such a lack of atsc/hdd units plus I already have a Philips 3576H and the Mag unit at WalMart is next to impossible to get in Canada and, since they're going to be side by sde, I am concerned about remote overlap.

I have read it uses standard computer parts so it'd be easy to replace defective parts which is a plus...

Thanks for any info...
post #644 of 729 Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 AM

As long as you don't plan on using the QAM tuner, don't mind a humming noise on the analog tuner, a very insensitive remote ( you won't have to worry about it interfering with any other unit) or have the unit freeze up occasionally when starting a timed recorder, it's a great unit. Seriously, when it does work with the ATSC tuner, you do get a great picture , but it is not a dependable unit.
post #645 of 729 Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

The Polaroid DRA01601A is now available for shipping.
Angst. Just when I decided to get a Mag 2160 (in Jan) they were sold out, and now they've got these. Is it likely they'll have more Maggies in even though they're selling this HDD model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

J&R might have the Polaroid around for a long time... they've got or have access to more than 500!

When I contacted J&R on 2/17, they told me about getting more than 500 Polaroids and didn't commit to getting any more 2160's but didn't rule it out either... sort of just wondered why I wasn't thrilled about the Polaroid. They "hoped they were good cuz they were getting a LOT of them"?

Perhaps J&R has realized that there is little demand for the Polaroid so they're dumping it for $99.00:

http://www.jr.com/polaroid/pe/POL_DRA01601_hy_RB/

Now if J&R would stick with the Magnavox 2160 they would have a product that customers really want.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #646 of 729 Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Yep, then they put a limit of 1 per customer to make it appear they're selling like hotcakes!
post #647 of 729 Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM

I have a DRA01601A that has worked well for over a year -- after replacing a couple of capacitors, of course. Yesterday, I recorded a couple of shows, but haven't been able to view them. When I access my list of recorded shows, the new recordings show up normally with a thumbnail picture. When I try to play them, the screen goes blank and the unit freezes -- I have to pull the plug to get it to power down. I can play older recordings without issue.

Any thoughts on this? Is it a bad spot on my hard drive? Will reformatting correct it? Or do I need to replace the drive? I haven't seen anything similar to this in the forum.

Thanks
post #648 of 729 Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post

As long as you don't plan on using the QAM tuner, don't mind a humming noise on the analog tuner, a very insensitive remote ( you won't have to worry about it interfering with any other unit) or have the unit freeze up occasionally when starting a timed recorder, it's a great unit. Seriously, when it does work with the ATSC tuner, you do get a great picture , but it is not a dependable unit.

so it has ATSC tuner, or not ...

cant go to JR, it is blocked as 'streaming category' at work ... never seen a movie download there

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
post #649 of 729 Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 AM

If anyone was thinking of picking up another Polaroid unit, today might be the day to do so.

J&R has reduced their price on their refurb units to $99, free shipping.

post #650 of 729 Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM

It does have an ATSC tuner. In my experience, the ATSC tuner is the only tuner on the unit that works reasonably well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post

so it has ATSC tuner, or not ...

cant go to JR, it is blocked as 'streaming category' at work ... never seen a movie download there

post #651 of 729 Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

If anyone was thinking of picking up another Polaroid unit, today might be the day to do so.

J&R has reduced their price on their refurb units to $99, free shipping.

are you sure .... :-)

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
post #652 of 729 Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post

are you sure .... :-)

Today the price is higher again, such drama!

Since Polaroid is no longer in the DVD recorder business, one wonders to what extent these Polaroids have been "refurbished" and by what organization; and does that organization back the warranty for this orphaned product?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #653 of 729 Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I was seriously considering it but when I went to drop it in the cart this afternoon, found that it was back to the $139.
post #654 of 729 Old 03-12-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post

Hmmm...I will be using it totally for the atsc tuner but the locking up on timer records is very concerning. How common is this problem for the units as a whole and is there a reasonable fix?
post #655 of 729 Old 03-12-2010, 06:32 AM

Looks like a moving target. J&R did have a banner on the site saying the Polaroid was the Deal of the Day, so I guess that ended.

BUT, Tiger Direct still has the $99 price, but shipping is only free on orders over $100. So you'd need to a small filler item.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...548&CatId=4672

For a filler, you could add this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...zavHuT_AWqR9ew

And don't forget if you use Bing, you get cash back. I think the final total comes to around $87 after the cash back.
post #656 of 729 Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post

I usually wouldn't do the refurb and Poloriod crappy brand thing but there's such a lack of atsc/hdd units plus I already have a Philips 3576H and the Mag unit at WalMart is next to impossible to get in Canada and, since they're going to be side by sde, I am concerned about remote overlap.

I own both a Philips DVDR3576H and a Polaroid DRA-01601A. There is definitely no overlap with the remotes. However, if you have an HDTV or are considering upgrading to an HDTV, I would defintely not recommend the Polaroid because it records all HD broadcasts in letterboxed format which look pretty bad on an HDTV. Also, the editing capabilities of the Polaroid are very archaic and difficult to use in comparison to the Philips/Magnavox units, so again, I would not recommend the Polaroid unit if you're interested in editing out commercials and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post

Hmmm...I will be using it totally for the atsc tuner but the locking up on timer records is very concerning. How common is this problem for the units as a whole and is there a reasonable fix?

I only use the ATSC tuner on my unit, and I have never seen this issue. It may be a problem that is limited to the QAM tuner.
post #657 of 729 Old 03-13-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

Looks like a moving target. J&R did have a banner on the site saying the Polaroid was the Deal of the Day, so I guess that ended.

BUT, Tiger Direct still has the $99 price, but shipping is only free on orders over $100. So you'd need to a small filler item.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...548&CatId=4672

For a filler, you could add this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...zavHuT_AWqR9ew

And don't forget if you use Bing, you get cash back. I think the final total comes to around $87 after the cash back.

Thanks for the link(s)! Please explain how to use "Bing" for the discount?
post #658 of 729 Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

However, if you have an HDTV or are considering upgrading to an HDTV, I would defintely not recommend the Polaroid because it records all HD broadcasts in letterboxed format which look pretty bad on an HDTV.

I do have a 40" hdtv and, at first, found the PQ on the Philips to be sub par on composite (480i) and hdmi (720p) however quitle liked the sdtv tuner pic with component at 480p output. Can you describe how the picture looks and what output jacks/resolution you are using?
post #659 of 729 Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Its got nothing to do with the worthless QAM tuner (does anyone actually use it?). I also only use the ATSC tuner, but have the problem. Seems to happen about once every week or two. I have to pull the plug and reboot it. Maybe I just have some bad sectors on the HD that don't impact all units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

I only use the ATSC tuner on my unit, and I have never seen this issue. It may be a problem that is limited to the QAM tuner.
Originally Posted by NakedGord

post #660 of 729 Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump69 View Post

Thanks for the link(s)! Please explain how to use "Bing" for the discount?

Bing is a search engine from Microsoft. To get people to use it, they offer a cash back program tied to a lot of online stores.

You register an account with them, use their link to go the site you want to buy from, and you get the percentage cash back from that purchase into your account. In 3 months (to allow for them to adjust your account if you return the item) you can transfer the $$ to you Paypal account or get a check.

Start at the Bing home page, sign in or register, then look for the cash back prompts.

http://www.bing.com/
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page