DRA-01601A: DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive Info - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 729 Old 04-24-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking around, on the Polaroid US website they have some new info about the Polaroid DVD/HDD expected to debut at Walmart in the next few months. It confirms that is will have a 160 GB hard drive, ATSC and NTSC tuners, and both USB and SD card reader ports. While it can read a variety of discs, it can only write to the DVD+R and +RW discs, and not the minus ones.

There is also a link to the manual in PDF on the page. The OS looks a lot like the old Polaroid 2001G.

Sorry, I can't post it as a direct link....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 729 Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

LINK
post #3 of 729 Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 PM

Weird that it has an HDMI port but only supports up to 480p output.

In the technical specifications part of the manual (at the end) it says it supports recording to DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW. Of course it also lists the hard drive as 80gig so who knows what's real until this thing eventually shows up at Wal*Mart.
post #4 of 729 Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

It says: "Real-time recording using DVD+RW and DVD+R recordable discs", I don't know if they mean something special about how they phrased it with the "real-time" recording or not, but like atrac said we will have to wait to see for sure.

The Polaroid site also said this about the recorder: "Products, features, specifications and appearances are subject to change without notice."

Only time will tell for sure.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #5 of 729 Old 04-25-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

It says: "Real-time recording using DVD+RW and DVD+R recordable discs", I don't know if they mean something special about how they phrased it with the "real-time" recording or not, but like atrac said we will have to wait to see for sure....

Their way of saying you can record directly to disk if you want to?

The DRM-2001G, Polaroid's previous model, on their website has the same "Real-Time recording" to disk phrase in its description so I would not make to much out of it for now.
post #6 of 729 Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldoc77 View Post

Looking around, on the Polaroid US website they have some new info about the Polaroid DVD/HDD expected to debut at Walmart in the next few months. It confirms that is will have a 160 GB hard drive, ATSC and NTSC tuners, and both USB and SD card reader ports. While it can read a variety of discs, it can only write to the DVD+R and +RW discs, and not the minus ones.

There is also a link to the manual in PDF on the page. The OS looks a lot like the old Polaroid 2001G.

Sorry, I can't post it as a direct link....

Page 34 of the manual says it supports writing to -R/RW +R/RW disc. Here:

http://www.polaroid.com/service/user...601a_ug_en.pdf

I think it is a mistake to think it will only support +R media. The 01601A is nothing more than an "upgrade" to the 2001G which also supports -R/RW media. Although using the term "upgrade" may be generous because of the loss of component inputs. The user menus are of the same format for example. Both are manufactured my Sampo.
post #7 of 729 Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

The 01601A is nothing more than an "upgrade" to the 2001G which also supports -R/RW media. Although using the term "upgrade" may be generous because of the loss of component inputs. The user menus are of the same format for example. Both are manufactured by Sampo.

I agree. Also, there are so many mistakes in the manual we don't really know the full specs on this recorder. As a mentioned in another thread it looks like they took the 2001G manual and just updated parts of it. We really need to get our hands on one of these recorders and put it through its paces.

Bill R
post #8 of 729 Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R (# 2) View Post

I agree. Also, there are so many mistakes in the manual we don't really know the full specs on this recorder. As a mentioned in another thread it looks like they took the 2001G manual and just updated parts of it. We really need to get our hands on one of these recorders and put it through its paces.

I looked at the price tag posted at Walmart (just the tag so far, no unit). It was right next to the tag for the Philpps recorder with hard disk (also not in yet). The tag for the Philips says record to +RW, +R, -RW, -R. On the poloroid tag it just says record to +RW, +R.

But based on what some folks here familiar with older Poloroids have said, I'll probably try one when they come in and see for myself. After reading the manual and the specs on-line, I don't think I'll really know until I actually try one.

Rick
post #9 of 729 Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R (# 2) View Post

We really need to get our hands on one of these recorders and put it through its paces.

I currently have the Pioneer 640, and I plan on buying either the Philips DVDR-3575H or the Polaroid DRA-01601A when they come out (can't decide for now which one) so I can record using the tuner with my Digital "Verizon Fios".

When I make my decision (slightly leaning towards the Polaroid) I will be sure to let people know in here and will even take requests on any "tests" anyone would like me to prove it can do or not.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #10 of 729 Old 04-26-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

As I'm guessing that the Phillips will add in support for DivX, and from the manual the Polaroid won't, I'm leaning towards the Philips model.
post #11 of 729 Old 04-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
do either of these do dl ?

Bigger question for me not mentioned in the manual is my 2001 can record ppv content will this be a big no no in the upcoming units? I have read that they are going to block all content in the new ones and it will have a coin slot for tokens we can buy from the movie industry.
post #12 of 729 Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

I have read that they are going to block all content in the new ones and it will have a coin slot for tokens we can buy from the movie industry.

As long as I have the key to open the coin slot, I'll drop coins in all day Growing up as a kid we had a coin operated dryer in our home. Didn't need any coins, but still had to push the "coin holder" into the machine to get it to start

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #13 of 729 Old 04-27-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Given the less than stellar performance of the first crop of non-HDD recorders, I'm not anticipating much in the way of bug-free performance from these 1st gen HDD units (whenever thay may show up). I'll be watching to see the reports from those of you who "borrow" one from walmart for testing.

It still gives me the creeps to think people are now looking to walmart for the new model releases. How far we have fallen.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #14 of 729 Old 05-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Lwb

FYI. These were on the shelf at WALMART yesterday. I might go get me one tonight.
post #15 of 729 Old 05-06-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I now have one in the box on my floor as I type. I'll post what I find after i unpack and play....Bet my 250 will bolt right in....
post #16 of 729 Old 05-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I now have one in the box on my floor as I type. I'll post what I find after i unpack and play....Bet my 250 will bolt right in....

The DRA-01601A with hard drive?
post #17 of 729 Old 05-06-2007, 05:02 PM

For those who have seen these at Walmart what part of the country are you located? Thanks, Daniel
post #18 of 729 Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Lwb

Got mine. I'm in Alabama.
post #19 of 729 Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim55avs View Post

The DRA-01601A with hard drive?

Yep that's the one. I've got it up and running now. So far it has TWO tuners, analog and digital. It does seem to be stereo, at least on the digital side even though when I press the audio button all it says is english. It picks up the channel ID and other info like Digital HD or just digital automaticly and seems to play it back in 480i or p with the letterboxing including being a tiny box in the center of the screen for some of the digital channels that are HD. No other res is supported so no true HD. It has a lot of dropouts but I have a pretty lossy temporary cable hooked up while I play around while it sits on a small table in front of my gear.
The fan is loud again, the remote is still picky and the setup screens are almost identical to the 2001g except for a few missing options. My bet is it's a updated 2001g and I think our HD upgrades should just drop in like it never changed machines but haven't popped it open yet to try.
The channels scans on both sides are pitifully slow so get some coffee or do something else while it's setting them up.
The channel buffer now is controlled by the remote button, setup has length of buffer from 60 minutes to 360 in 3 steps. The auto time function seems to have been deleted.
So if you have a 2001 now this beast will be pretty much the same look and everything. The remote codes are different so you can't use the old one and like I said it's picky so a RS high output might be needed again, lucky I bought 2
More as I play....
Wood village Oregon was where I got mine, they have 2 left, didn't ask about the Philips version but I bet they have that one too.
post #20 of 729 Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

walmart price is??

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #21 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

$258, the Phillips is right at 300 I think. OK so far the tuner has a lot of dropouts in digital mode, worse then my LG4200 on the same cable. It does do full cable QAM and OTA. The OTA analog tuner is still the same low volume mono POS the 2001g had but the digital one when it's not dropping out has full normal audio and as far as I could tell watching the tube I did hear left and right sound out of the speakers on my TV. The Remote is still bad but maybe better then the 2001g but it still might improve greatly with the RS LED. It has a lot more functions on ther remote buttons and has a few nifty features where it will show program info for at least the locals, like a basic 3 hour program guide and other things like that. Haven't figured out if it will let me highlight anything to record yet.
It seems to still have the lousy 12? character max naming scheme but haven't really played with that yet either. If I can get the difital tuner part enough signal to quit dropping out and like that I spose it's a keeper, the analog part sucks just like the last unit and no component inputs this time either, but if it could only cap 480 with a external tuner maybe thats not a big deal now.
AND if we want to pop it open they haver gotten smart now and added warranty void stickers to the case, no sticker, no warranty.
Walmart still has the 90 day because you dont like the color though so might not be a issue for us as it only has a 90 day full warranty as far I can tell from what I read on the papers
post #22 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How well does it recover from the dropouts when recording. When the digital tuner drops out during a recording session, does that dropout cause it to abort the recording process.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #23 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it continues to record, macro blocking, stuttering and all. I hooked the cable from the throughput of the LG to the thing and did a side by side with the split screen. The LG buries it on both digital and analog. it got a perfect lock, the Polaroid was to the point that some channels were plainly unwatchable they dropped and blocked so much, audio goes away too.
Then I tried analog and some of the channels had so much herring bone pattern and slight humming to be useless as well. The LG did none of that crap and neither does my Toshiba TV.
So unless somebody has a unit that works well with normal Blah cable signals I'd say just give it up, unit is junk unless you want to pipe in a external tuner or you just use it for OTA digital and have excellent signal strength.
Polaroid again does it to us, just hoping mine is a bum unit and somebody else who got one reports theirs is doing well.
I'll probably take it back and maybe try another one or the Philips one just to make sure it's not a bad one.
And the remote still sucks, have to point right at it, with the right angle to get it to respond, so for those who otherwise are happy with theirs a trip to Radio shack or a universal one is in order.
I did try going directly from the cable the LG is on by the way, just in case , and it was still just as bad...
post #24 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I imagine these will be bought quickly because of the price and returned just as quickly because of the performance (or rather lack thereof).

- kelson h

post #25 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What about the QAM tuner?
post #26 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM

Does anyone have an opinion about whether this machine will record well enough to be useful or should I wait and see the quality of the Phillips before buying.

I've had pretty dismal luck with phillips losing program information. I don't want another machine with intermittant amnesia.

I am looking for something to record QAM and standard cable for weeks at a time when I'm not around. (a machine with intermittant amnesia is not an option) I want to archive to DVD which I take when traveling and catch up on shows that I like. I also use a slingbox when traveling but the quality is not great and you have to tune in live.

Does this machine have a TV schedule or do you have to manually program each recording?

One other question, how fast is the dvd burner on the polaroid, my old phillips is 2.4x, very slow.
post #27 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 AM

I picked up the Polaroid unit on Saturday from Wal-Mart.($248). I also picked up the LG model from BestBuy to compare. Granted the LG wasn't HDD capable. Remote was way better on the LG. And the stations it did pick up came in very clear and with minimum interruption OTA. But the Polaroid picked up stations that the LG wasn't from OTA. At least 2 stations. Based off that and the no HDD, I returned the LG.

It has some drop off every once in a while but I have played with the antenna (Terk model with the fins) and its gotten better. Nothing that just ticks me off since I do live quite a way from the main antennas and rely on the repeaters mostly.

The remote is bad. I may try the LED change like others have suggested with the previous model. I hate that I can't change channels when I am recording. I have left it hooked only to OTA and left the analog cable hooked to the TV for now. I wish it had a channel guide and that I didn't have to program everything manually. Especially with the flakey remote. Its a pain. any advise on programming would be appreciated.

OTA and DVD are in stereo. I have pumped to the TV using GBR component and that feeds my Pioneer receiver. Watched Fix baseball Saturday and a NASCAR race on Sunday just to test. Full surround no problems.

DVD's with the HD upload play flawlessly. Looks so crisp and amazingly clear.

For the price vs. a standard recorder, its not a bad unit. Note great either. It does the job. If I can get the programming and remote quirks, I'll be satisfied.
post #28 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo512 View Post

DVD's with the HD upload play flawlessly.

Are you saying the unit lets you copy DVDs to the hard drive?

I picked up mine last night. I live close to antenna's and all digital channels come in crystal clear. They look much sharper then their analog counterparts. My initial impression is the lousy remote bothers me the most. Only works when directly pointed at the unit.

What is the LED change like others have suggested with the previous model?

Two separate inputs for analog and digital antenna feed. So if you want to watch both you either have to have two antenna hook ups or a device that feeds one signal to two inputs.

Takes about 3 seconds to change digital channel.

Haven't done much else with it yet. Bought it in Chandler, Az. The store had 3 more of them.

Daniel
post #29 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

I've had pretty dismal luck with phillips losing program information. I don't want another machine with intermittant amnesia.

Does this machine have a TV schedule or do you have to manually program each recording?

According to the pre-release specs, the Philips does not have the TV Guide on Screen like the last, analog-only-tunered model. I don't believe it lists a program guide of any kind.

The Polaroid doesn't have one either.

Looks like manual all the way.

(Not sure of either's situation as far as IR blasters go.)
post #30 of 729 Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 PM

No it converts it to 1080i. I meant to say up-convert.

And yes it will if you have a DVD player hooked up through one of the sources. Of course anything encrypted won't.

LED can be changed out with a more high power one from Radio Shack or another remote. Look at the post for the previous model. Its basically an open remote case, unsolder the old LED and and solder in the new LED.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page