Toshiba XS32, XS54, XS35, (all XS models) - HDD swap info!!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 462 Old 10-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
first : sorry my english isn't very good.

i have a question to the experts here in the forum. i succesfully swapped the dvd and the hd in my rd-xs 32. the dvd is now an gsa-h10n and the hdd is now an 160GB Seagate ST316022ACE.

the recorder seems to work proper. but after one minute all the front lights begin flashing in an systematic order. for me it looks like an error code. when i press a button on the rmote or the recorder the lights stop flashing, but one minute later the same happens again.

additional information : i think the av1 slot on the back has an error. i could the recorder only connect to tv by using av2 or the composite slot.

had someone else the problem with the flashing lights or aqn idea what the flashing means. in the instruction manual i can't find anything about that.

p.s. i swapped my other rd-xs 32 in the same way and it works with no problems.

if someone can help it would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 462 Old 10-20-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio3 View Post

i don't know if i'm explaining it they way they did but it sounded reasonable to me.

Close enough since we're all speculating.

ATA hard drives support an "Identify Device" command, which provides the HDD model number, serial number, firmware revision, sectors, etc. So, the Toshibas may look for specific hard drive specs, a range of acceptable values, etc. For example, firmware version 1.4, serial number range xxxxx to yyyyy, model number 4R160L0, etc.

I'm speculating that units like the XS32 might look for the HDD model, since we can change HDDs, but can't use different models with the same number of sectors, heads, etc. It was probably a matter of simple economics. Why write extra code for a unit with a finite market life, designed for 80GB and 160GB drives? The later XS models (XS54...) seem to have a more generic DOS, since they'll accept a variety of different HDDs.

If anyone has a 120GB Maxtor 4R120L0 or a 120GB Seagate ST3120025A, I'd be curious to see if they'd work in an XS32/XS52/KX50, since they're in the exact same drive families as the drives that work.
post #273 of 462 Old 10-20-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axebatter View Post

had someone else the problem with the flashing lights or an idea what the flashing means. in the instruction manual i can't find anything about that.

I haven't heard of that problem before. If no one else knows, you could always try the usual things: check all connections, make sure nothing (a screw, etc.) is shorting out the av1 connections inside the unit, unplug it, reset (hold down the power button until it cycles), reformat the HDD, etc.
post #274 of 462 Old 10-20-2007, 12:09 PM

... i've tried all. formatted the hdd again, pressed the button for reset. no screws left, all connections in the recorder are ok.

the lights flash in a systematic order. first the timeslip led, than the dvd leds, then the hdd laed all leds in the display, dubbing led, record led and so on.... hope someone else had this problem too and solved it....
post #275 of 462 Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Today I tried a Western Digital 160GB WD1600JB in my RD-XS32 and it did not work. Gave the usual error and did not let me get into setup to format it. Has anyone found a source for either of the 160GB drives that have been proven to work ? I cannot seem to find any.

I also tried the two remote control reset methods suggested on the list to try to restore factory defaults (Zoom, 701, Zoom and Menu, subtitle, etc,.) I assume that I press "zoom", open the flap, type in "701", close the flap, and hit zoom again. Neither seemed to do anything, is there a trick to this on the RD-XS32 ?
post #276 of 462 Old 10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblanc View Post

Today I tried a Western Digital 160GB WD1600JB in my RD-XS32 and it did not work. Gave the usual error and did not let me get into setup to format it. Has anyone found a source for either of the 160GB drives that have been proven to work ? I cannot seem to find any.

I also tried the two remote control reset methods suggested on the list to try to restore factory defaults (Zoom, 701, Zoom and Menu, subtitle, etc,.) I assume that I press "zoom", open the flap, type in "701", close the flap, and hit zoom again. Neither seemed to do anything, is there a trick to this on the RD-XS32 ?

Give post #1 in the thread a look. It lists the drives that have been reported to work with the XS32.
post #277 of 462 Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

rickc5 - absolutely amazing work on post number 1 in this thread.

Every Toshiba user thanks you for what has been undoubtedly a tremendous amount of work.

I'm sorry for not commenting on it before. The threads tend to get lost as the days go by.

Again thank you - amazing work. Thanks!
post #278 of 462 Old 10-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblanc View Post

Be sure the cablebox control is disabled first.
post #279 of 462 Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

rickc5 - absolutely amazing work on post number 1 in this thread.

Every Toshiba user thanks you for what has been undoubtedly a tremendous amount of work.

I'm sorry for not commenting on it before. The threads tend to get lost as the days go by.

Again thank you - amazing work. Thanks!

Aw, shucks! Thanks very much for the kind words. And from someone with a 750GB DVR and terabytes of external storage! I'm utterly amazed at the gazillions of man-hours of research that we can all access essentially for free, so I contribute where I can.

I have another HDD that works in an XS54 to add to the list. The Seagate ST3400832ACE is 400GB, but, of course, only formats to 250GB. It's from the same family as the recommended replacement, so I thought that if any HDD had a chance of increasing capacity it would have been this one (Seagate doesn't have a 500GB in this family). I very seriously doubt that it's possible to increase XS54/XS55 capacity beyond 250GB. I think we lucked out on going from 80GB to 160GB in the XS32/KX50, and with all models being downward compatible, as Toshiba seems to have reused the same code.
post #280 of 462 Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 AM

I have an XS32 and thought I would get a HDD for use when my standard 80GB expires. No luck so far, but whilst searching for the 160GB Seagate I noticed that old listings quote variously 5400 or 7200 as the spin speed. The ACE is listed as 5400 and the A as 7200. rickc5 I'd appreciate your opinion please. I would hate to track one down and find it didn't work!
post #281 of 462 Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS32fan View Post

I have an XS32 and thought I would get a HDD for use when my standard 80GB expires. No luck so far, but whilst searching for the 160GB Seagate I noticed that old listings quote variously 5400 or 7200 as the spin speed. The ACE is listed as 5400 and the A as 7200. rickc5 I'd appreciate your opinion please. I would hate to track one down and find it didn't work!

I didn't think there was any significant functional difference between the A and ACE models, but Longfish recently posted about problems with an A model in a KX50, so I'm not too sure. To be absolutley safe, get an ACE. I've had 100% success with a couple of ST3160022ACE HDDs in an XS32, XS52 and XS54.

I would be very interested to see if an A model does work fine, but if you don't have another use for it, it might be a bit of a gamble. Whichever one you get, it's probably a good idea to test it in your XS32, just to make sure it's a good drive (especially if you find one on Ebay).

There is some confusion about the speed of the ST3160022 drives. The Seagate data sheets and product info surprisingly do not have the speed listed for the U Series 9 drive family, which includes the ST380012A, ST3160022A and the ST3120025A. Seagate indicates that ACE drives comply with EU standards, but they don't have separate data sheets for the ACE models, which makes me think they are functionally identical. Maybe they have different firmware. The ST3160021A and ST3160023A are 7200 rpm, but in a different drive family, so distributors might be confusing that info. I'd think 7200 rpm would have been a good marketing point that Seagate would have used when they released these. Considering how frequently they change model numbering, I doubt that A and ACE models of the same drive would have different speeds.

Again, you're safest with an ACE.

Longfish (or anyone else with an A model) - could you please post the firmware version from the ST3160022A label? Thanks.
post #282 of 462 Old 11-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply rickc5. Further confusion, I have found a UK site (where I am) listing ST3160022ACE-FR, ST3160022ACE-5Y and ST3160022ACE. The plain ACE is out of stock and the seller didn't know what the additional suffixes meant on the in-stock ones. I think he is a wholesaler. I would like your thoughts on these.

I don't have any use for other small HDDs so can't use them on anything else. My other media storage has just had a terabyte disk go in! He lists all three as 5400rpm.
post #283 of 462 Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

No problem!

I didn't make it really clear in my last post, but my point was that these are most likely 5400 rpm drives, not 7200 like some of the other ST31600xx drives. So, I agree with your distributor about that.

Can you find out if they're OEM or retail? That might help decipher the suffix. How about the firmware version? I'd have to check to make sure, but I think my ST3160022ACE drives are firmware 9.51 or something similar. I often see -RK after an HDD model number indicating that it's a Retail Kit. This is purely speculation on my part, but since you're in the UK, the -FR might indicate it is a retail drive intended for the French or Belgian (or even Canadian) market. The -5Y might indicate it has a 5 year warranty (if Seagate even offered that). Again, I could be way off, so don't hold me to it.

I really don't think that either of those suffixes would be a problem, but I can't say for sure (especially as we don't know if a different firmware revision may be the deciding factor). If it were me, and I couldn't get more info from the seller, the ACE wouldn't be back in stock in the near future, and I couldn't find one elsewhere, I'd go for the ACE-5Y. If the -5Y does mean it has a 5 year warranty, heck, I'd buy that one anyway, and if the label has a recent mfg date, install it and store the original HDD.

Keep us posted.
post #284 of 462 Old 11-28-2007, 10:36 AM

Update - I have located around 1200 each of the ST3160022ACE-FR and -5Y

Downside - they want £100 (£70+shipping+tax) each for them!!!!

Its a trade only supplier but I called anyway. He had asked me if I would pay £60, I had said I would pay £40 plus shipping as I wanted to keep this machine.He asked me to put in an email request and back came a quote as above. I can't comprehend how they would hope to get anything like that sort of money for them. Maybe he added £10 pre-tax and shipping just to ensure I won't order, which of course I won't.

My present HDD is fine, the machine has been lightly used. The only difficulty is the burner won't recognize unfinalized DVD-RW and now DVD-RAM, including the one it came with. It deals with my stock of Verbatim 8x perfectly. Most people seem to have the opposite problem. I have a back order for the LG H10L, due in a few weeks. I had already purchased a new Panasonic EX77 when I chanced upon this forum, now I'm determined to keep this machine going as long as possible.

I'll keep looking for a HDD.
post #285 of 462 Old 11-28-2007, 10:39 AM

Meant to add, I'm fairly sure now FR means factory refurb and as you guessed 5Y means 5 year guarantee, I worked this out from old out-dated web pages. The golden one above was quoting 30 days guarantee despite the -5Y
post #286 of 462 Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc5 View Post

Thanks for the welcome back, guys!

I've updated the first post with the additional drives and info you all posted. Many of the sellers that I've seen just list the primary model number, and that's why I originally left off the CE in my list. So, for example, the ST3160022A, ST3160022ACE, and ST3160022ACECS should really all be the same drive, and all should work equally well as replacements.

I picked up a broken XS34 while I was away, but it looks like you all went on a buying spree and cleaned out geeks and the other suppliers of 160GB drives!!

This is a great thread!

I own an RD-XS34 as well and while the HD is still working just fine (knock on wood!) I thought it might be a good idea to pick up a replacement HD while they are still available. The problem is, are they still available??????

Does anyone know of any site that is still offering the Seagate ST3160022xxx HD for sale? I'd like a brand new one but at this point I can't even find anyone that has the refurbished units.
post #287 of 462 Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewinks View Post

This is a great thread!

I own an RD-XS34 as well and while the HD is still working just fine (knock on wood!) I thought it might be a good idea to pick up a replacement HD while they are still available. The problem is, are they still available??????

Does anyone know of any site that is still offering the Seagate ST3160022xxx HD for sale? I'd like a brand new one but at this point I can't even find anyone that has the refurbished units.

I ran across a couple of places with them in the sub $100 range a few months ago, but that was more than I wanted to spend for 160GB. Don't know if they still have any, and can't remember if new or refurbed. I'll see if I saved the links and post them.

Not a lot of testing has been done with the XS34, but since all of the other XS models can use the Maxtor 4R160L0, I think there's an excellent chance it will work in your XS34. My broken XS34 has a couple of other problems, so I haven't been able to try it yet.
post #288 of 462 Old 12-04-2007, 10:53 AM

I have a Toshiba RD-XS30 (earlier version of XS32 but with 60Gb HDD) where the DVD drive (Matsushita, on 4 plastic legs with a mini side-connector, not the kind that fits in a PC) no longer writes to DVD-RAM. I tried substituting the drive from a Toshiba DR-1 but it gave an error code at startup.

Sorry I don't have the part numbers to hand but it would mean dismantling an AV stack in a high cupboard to extract it - so can anyone give me some guidance about how to install a different DVD drive?

Has anyone tried replacing Toshiba DVD drives in the same way that this thread covers HDD drives?

I now also have a Toshiba RD-XS24, so that is another option. I might be able to get access to a Panasonic model 50 (since Matsushita is Panasonic's parent company) if that would help.

I'll get the stack down again to get the part numbers, if someone's interested in pursuing Toshiba DVD drive swaps.
post #289 of 462 Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post

I have a Toshiba RD-XS30 (earlier version of XS32 but with 60Gb HDD) where the DVD drive (Matsushita, on 4 plastic legs with a mini side-connector, not the kind that fits in a PC) no longer writes to DVD-RAM. I tried substituting the drive from a Toshiba DR-1 but it gave an error code at startup.

Sorry I don't have the part numbers to hand but it would mean dismantling an AV stack in a high cupboard to extract it - so can anyone give me some guidance about how to install a different DVD drive?

Has anyone tried replacing Toshiba DVD drives in the same way that this thread covers HDD drives?

I now also have a Toshiba RD-XS24, so that is another option. I might be able to get access to a Panasonic model 50 (since Matsushita is Panasonic's parent company) if that would help.

I'll get the stack down again to get the part numbers, if someone's interested in pursuing Toshiba DVD drive swaps.

In case you missed it, here's a link to the XS32 burner thread, most of which applies to other XS models: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=653912

No rush, but if you pull it apart again, please post the burner and HDD part numbers. I haven't seen service manuals for the XS24 or XS30, but it sounds like the burner might be similar to the XS35 burner.

I've had an XS series-wide burner thread in the works for a while, but other priorities have been, well, priorities. Hopefully soon.
post #290 of 462 Old 12-08-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Longfish (or anyone else with an A model) - could you please post the firmware version from the ST3160022A label? Thanks.

I don't have a firmware # for the ..22A, but I do have some specs for an ST3160023A-RK drive, which is as follows:

FIRMWARE: 8.01

Model: ST3160023A

S/N: 5JS87KGR

P/N: 9W2084-371

HDA P/N: 100348955

Config: D8M-03

Date Code: 06187

Site Code: WU

Capacity: 160GB

RPM's: 7200

Buffer / Cache: 8MB

Interface: 40-pin, E-IDE Ultra-ATA

Not sure if that helps anyone, but there are the specs, nonetheless.

Quote:

... Can you find out if they're OEM or retail? That might help decipher the suffix.

The "CE" suffix stands for Consumer Electronics. I saw it written on my XS54's 250GB Seagate drive during an optical drive replacement attempt. This would make sense to me since the drives in these machines are not being used in a traditional PC environment. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I have to second what nextoo said in Post #277 about RickC5; he, along with the help of others, has saved myself, personally, many many headaches.

Please keep up the good work.

BW
post #291 of 462 Old 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BW!

I'm not too surprised the ST3160023A has different firmware, as it's from a different drive family. Yeah, the CE refers to consumer electronic devices that meet specific standards for EMI, etc. That's why I didn't think there was a big difference between A and ACE models. I think we only have one report of an A model HDD not working in an XS, so the jury is still out. It may be F/W related, that's why I'm looking for F/W numbers.
post #292 of 462 Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Okay folks, I found some 160GB and 80GB HDDs at reasonable prices! I ordered one, but I've never purchased anything from them before, so I can't comment on this company. I did call them to get some info, and they seem reliable. Shipping was reasonable.

http://www.driveguys.com

They have the following drives and quantities:

Maxtor 4R160L0 -- 160GB -- $42 -- New pulls (tested) -- 43 avail
Maxtor 4R080L0 -- 80GB -- $44 -- New pulls (tested) -- 34 avail
Seagate ST380012A -- 80GB -- $36 -- Used pulls (tested) -- 8 avail

These are the replacement drives as indicated in this thread's first post. All three drives should work in all XS models, including the KX50. BUT, they couldn't tell me if the ST380012 was an A or an ACE, so I suppose there's a chance it might not work (if anyone gets one, please post the model and if it works if it's an A model). Since the XS32 can use the full 160GB, I don't see any reason to get an 80GB while they still have 160GBs.

I'll post once I receive my 4R160L0, but I wanted to let you all know right away since compatible drives have been so hard to find.
post #293 of 462 Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Rick,

Those prices are pretty good but buyer reviews from Resellers dot come aren't so hot. Since you called them your chances are probably ok. Feedback on refunding credit to dissatisfied buyers does look good.

I've also got a 4R160LO on order for the XS32. $90 from IT Partsline. Fairly new small company. We'll see how it goes. The Maxtor should be here tomorrow.

In case it is also refurbished I'll have to read up a little on HDD diagnostic tools and give mine a good workout before installing.

Later, Conrad
post #294 of 462 Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Not sure if they ship to Canada. When you try to sign up, there is an option for State/Province, but the form doesn't accept a Canadian postal code. I emailed them, since I can't find any shipping info or FAQ on their site. We'll see.

rickc5, so you think the Maxtor 4R160L0 -- 160GB should work in an XS35? Mine's still OK, but it's nice to have a backup on deck just in case. I would prefer to avoid the hassle I went through to replace its defective burner.
post #295 of 462 Old 12-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradWS View Post

Rick,

Those prices are pretty good but buyer reviews from Resellers dot come aren't so hot.

Yeah, not too many satisfied customers.

rickc5, let us know how it goes.
post #296 of 462 Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

rickc5, so you think the Maxtor 4R160L0 -- 160GB should work in an XS35? Mine's still OK, but it's nice to have a backup on deck just in case. I would prefer to avoid the hassle I went through to replace its defective burner.

No one posted about trying this exact drive in the XS35, but here's my reasoning: The newer models (XS54 and XS55) seem to accept pretty much any HDD. The XS35 is newer than the XS54, and it's firmware likely has a lot in common with the XS55. Nextoo posted that a Western Digital 250GB works in the XS35. Shawbros posted about a working XS35 that had an 80GB HDD installed. Although the service manual lists the Maxtor 6L160P0 as the official XS35 replacement drive, if the XS32, XS52, KX50, XS54 and XS55 can all use the 80GB and 160GB Maxtors and Seagates, it's hard to see how the XS35 would be any different.
post #297 of 462 Old 12-09-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the reviews for this seller. I figured that it was worth a chance since our choices are slim and the prices are good. I felt more comfortable after speaking to a live person that gave me a straight answer (hopefully!) about whether or not they were factory recertified, non-factory refurbed or simply used. The only recert/refurb HDDs I've ever bought were the ones for my Toshibas that I posted about earlier in this thread. I never thought I'd even remotely consider buying a used hard drive on Ebay, now look what I've been reduced to - searching the internet for refurbed 80-160GB HDDs at often more than double the price per gig of a brand new 500GB drive!

Anyway, I'll give a report when I get it (later this week) and test it out.
post #298 of 462 Old 12-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Rick,

Got it and its a brand new drive!
That was the easiest HDD install I've ever done. Thanks for all the great information. Just like you wrote...on boot it gave the "HD cannot be authenticated..." message. Pressed ok and then reformatted it. Worked like a charm. Timer programs, settings are all still there. Its wonderfully silent too.

Doing a little recording and chase play to check the capacity @ 9.2-D/M2 it shows recording time jumped from 18 hours to 35 hours. The original drive was the 4R080L0.

It looks like the price just jumped up...now $102. I'm trying not to think about you getting yours for $45. ;-)
IT Partsline: Maxtor 4R160L0

I'll be doing some time shifting, editing, burning today and will post back if there are any problems but doubt there will be.

Later, Conrad
post #299 of 462 Old 12-10-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Rick,

Got it and its a brand new drive!
That was the easiest HDD install I've ever done. Thanks for all the great information. Just like you wrote...on boot it gave the "HD cannot be authenticated..." message. Pressed ok and then reformatted it. Worked like a charm. Timer programs, settings are all still there. Its wonderfully silent too.

Sweeeet!

Quote:

It looks like the price just jumped up...now $102. I'm trying not to think about you getting yours for $45. ;-)

Don't think twice about the price difference. If I wanted a backup HDD for my XS, I'd probably get the brand new one too. I have a new 250GB Maxtor (newegg $59) for my XS54, so I'm covered. I'm thinking about a nextoo-style external setup for my XS32, so a couple of the cheaper 160GBs are the way to go for me.

Since your new drive is new, you might want to check the mfg date. If there's a long time left on the warranty, why not leave it in? Your original drive must be out of warranty by now. Heck, why not leave it in anyway? I've kept the 160GB in my XS32, and stored the original 80GB. Once you get used to that extra 80GB, it's hard to go back...
post #300 of 462 Old 12-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Yep the 160 is going to stay. 13 months parts and labor warranty.

Gave it a good workout yesterday. Worked great. The only negative I've found so far is the Record Menu lost the titles after the HDD swap. Since the scheduled programs were still there it was easy to re-enter the titles.

Now if the SX32 would just copy DVD-RWs made in the Polo 2001g....grrrr!

BTW I scored a mint condition SX54. Should be here in a day or 2. Already got a backup Maxtor 6L250R0 ordered for it also. My girlfriend just shakes her head and mumbles about me being half crazy.

Later, Conrad
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page