Toshiba XS32, XS54, XS35, (all XS models) - HDD swap info!!! - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 462 Old 07-31-2009, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just swapped out my HD in my KX50 with a 160GB Seagate ST3160022ACE as suggested. Wanted to give feedback and say it was completely plug and play. Too bad you can only get 80GB instead of the full amount, but I found a supplier off eBay that has a bunch for $34 each new!

Thanks for the very useful information, now my search continues on finding if there is a unlock code for the region.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 462 Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 AM

First off - Thanks to rickc5 for this thread.. and thanks for input from other member. This is good stuff here..

I'm sure some of you have already tried this but thought I'd share what I did with my xs32. Using nextoo input, I experimented with mobile rack set up.

The biggest issue was extending the IDE cable outside the case. After some time googling, I finally found an IDE extender that does the job prefectly from xtreme electronic designs.

I got a 2 connector round IDE cable, coupled it with the existing hdd connector using the IDE extender, cut a hole in the xs32 case and the external enclosure (powered) and that was basically it. Now I have 4 - 160gb on tap.

Unfortunately I did something to my original 80gb and now it's write protected. When I first tested it, it worked as design, but I think in an attempt to try hot swapablity I did something to the drive. I should have tested with a drive with no data.. Oh well..

Hope this help.. and thanks again for the thread..
post #393 of 462 Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xonid View Post

First off - Thanks to rickc5 for this thread.. and thanks for input from other member. This is good stuff here..

I'm sure some of you have already tried this but thought I'd share what I did with my xs32. Using nextoo input, I experimented with mobile rack set up.

The biggest issue was extending the IDE cable outside the case. After some time googling, I finally found an IDE extender that does the job prefectly from xtreme electronic designs.

I got a 2 connector round IDE cable, coupled it with the existing hdd connector using the IDE extender, cut a hole in the xs32 case and the external enclosure (powered) and that was basically it. Now I have 4 - 160gb on tap.

Unfortunately I did something to my original 80gb and now it's write protected. When I first tested it, it worked as design, but I think in an attempt to try hot swapablity I did something to the drive. I should have tested with a drive with no data.. Oh well..

Hope this help.. and thanks again for the thread..

Great way to start your posting career here, xonid! Sounds like a great setup. Maybe you could post some pictures if you ever get the time?

I'm sure this will help others looking to expand their storage. I hope to try it myself, one day when I get the time.

Cheers!
post #394 of 462 Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Was anyone able to download service manual for RD-XS54 or RD-XS34 dvd recorders (while there were accesible on Toshiba website)?
Does anyone have service manual for any of those dvd recorder models?
post #395 of 462 Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM

hey guys, how do you use an external hard drive on these units? I have a RD-KX50, and RD-XS35

thanks, Doug
post #396 of 462 Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoj View Post

Was anyone able to download service manual for RD-XS54 or RD-XS34 dvd recorders (while there were accesible on Toshiba website)?

Check your PMs.
post #397 of 462 Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoj View Post

I don't think Toshiba ever made a "Service" Manual available. At least never to consumers.

If you are referring to the Owners Manuals, the link to download them are available on Toshiba's Site for each of the discontinued models under the tab for "Resources".

Here
is a link to main page for the XS34 Model.

EDIT: Just noticed the prev post saying that a Service Manual is available.

If it really is a Service Manual I'd be interested in one too.
post #398 of 462 Old 08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewinks View Post

EDIT: Just noticed the prev post saying that a Service Manual is available.

If it really is a Service Manual I'd be interested in one too.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. Check your PMs.
post #399 of 462 Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 PM

Here are pictures IDE coupler / extender and the round IDE cable as well as views of the case all buttoned up.

Anyone have any ideas how I can un-write protect the 80gb drive?

Thanks
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #400 of 462 Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Every time I see a HD tray I cringe because I've had at least 2 trays go bad and I swear one was responsible for ruining a HD.

I think I was using Kingwin.

I was just thinking, didn't someone make an external HD "docking station?" I could have been USB (I'll bet) and you plugged your HD into it from the top just like a Dewalt battery into its charger.
post #401 of 462 Old 09-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5John View Post

Dont know if this HDD has been reported on, but I just tried a Seagate 160gb model ST3160815A on a XS34. Did NOT work. Got the 7034. Cant just keep going and buying/trying out HDD's, so I guess I'm %*$& out of luck. I'll just use the DVD Ram recorder and suffer with the limited capacity of it. Until somebody can find a miracle supply of CURRENTLY available harddrives that will work.

Your findings contradict what has been posted in the following Japanese site:

Google this: "wiki@nothing HDD/DVD" and go to the first hit to get a list of replacement HDDs for the RD-XS34 as well as a list of N(F)Gs. Replacements for several other Toshiba models (and other brands too) are also listed, many of which never made it to the North American market. Of course, this list only serves as a guide, confirmation by participants here is always preferred...

If you still have the 815A, give it another try (jumper block in the "master" config) with a proper reset before swapping drives. I'll be waiting... On my side, I can confirm that the WD1600AAJB by Western Digital isn't recognized by the OS.

[To plplplpl: Thanx a bunch for (and still) making the service manual available]
post #402 of 462 Old 09-13-2009, 05:19 PM

The Japanese RD-XS34 version is a completely different unit than the US version. See link below:

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/hdd-dvd/support/RD-XS34.html
post #403 of 462 Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

My Japanese is a bit rusty (not that it was any good to begin with), but does that page say a couple of firmware updates were released, the last one in 2008, for its burner? If so, now that's the kind of aftermarket support we can only dream of for DVD recorders sold in North America (couFunai, cough).
post #404 of 462 Old 09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonid View Post

Here are pictures IDE coupler / extender and the round IDE cable as well as views of the case all buttoned up.

Anyone have any ideas how I can un-write protect the 80gb drive?

Thanks

You could clone your original drive to several other 80 gb drives, and swap them in and out erasing titles to make room for others.
post #405 of 462 Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousey View Post

Your findings contradict what has been posted in the following Japanese site:

Google this: "wiki@nothing HDD/DVD" and go to the first hit to get a list of replacement HDDs for the RD-XS34 as well as a list of N(F)Gs. Replacements for several other Toshiba models (and other brands too) are also listed, many of which never made it to the North American market. Of course, this list only serves as a guide, confirmation by participants here is always preferred...

If you still have the 815A, give it another try (jumper block in the "master" config) with a proper reset before swapping drives. I'll be waiting... On my side, I can confirm that the WD1600AAJB by Western Digital isn't recognized by the OS.

[To plplplpl: Thanx a bunch for (and still) making the service manual available]

I tried the same Seagate 160 GB ACE drive (ST3160815A) on an RD-XS32, which is real compliant with various HDDs and also got the 7034 error. The problem seems to be this 160 GB HDD is the slim version (half the thickness of a standard HDD), and I don't think its platters and spindles or firmware play well with the RD-XS series. All the RD-XS models came with a standard thickness HDD.

I tried switching the jumper blocks, etc. and it was a no go. I figured it was an -ACE drive but no dice.
post #406 of 462 Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 PM

I have a Toshiba rd xs54 DVD/Hard Drive Recorder.
Just replaced my original Seagate 250GB (ST3250823ACE) with a Western Digital 500GB PATA (WD5000JB) Hard Disk. After Formatting the Hard Disk, I checked to see if the machine worked. No Problems so far. I did notice that the Recorder tells me that I have approximately 85 hours of recording time in SP mode. At roughly 4.7 GB for 2 hours of recording time, I calculate that the Hard Disk was formatted to around 200GB. I didn't expect to format the Hard Drive to 500GB but.... I was happy that the new Hard Disk was recognized and works flawlessly (though at roughly half the storage capacity). My next endeavor is to pull this empty hard drive and attach it to a Linux box so I can determine the filesystem that was laid down on the Drive by the Toshiba recorder. I figure once I know the filesystem, I can format the drive on the Linux box to it's full 500GB capacity and then reinstall it in the Toshiba DVD recorder (of course without formatting it through the Recorder). I am hoping in this way, the DVD recorder recognizes all 500GB worth of Hard Drive. If anyone has tried this, please post on this forum. Thanks
post #407 of 462 Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarrera View Post

I have a Toshiba rd xs54 DVD/Hard Drive Recorder.
Just replaced my original Seagate 250GB (ST3250823ACE) with a Western Digital 500GB PATA (WD5000JB) Hard Disk. After Formatting the Hard Disk, I checked to see if the machine worked. No Problems so far. I did notice that the Recorder tells me that I have approximately 85 hours of recording time in SP mode. At roughly 4.7 GB for 2 hours of recording time, I calculate that the Hard Disk was formatted to around 200GB. I didn't expect to format the Hard Drive to 500GB but.... I was happy that the new Hard Disk was recognized and works flawlessly (though at roughly half the storage capacity). My next endeavor is to pull this empty hard drive and attach it to a Linux box so I can determine the filesystem that was laid down on the Drive by the Toshiba recorder. I figure once I know the filesystem, I can format the drive on the Linux box to it's full 500GB capacity and then reinstall it in the Toshiba DVD recorder (of course without formatting it through the Recorder). I am hoping in this way, the DVD recorder recognizes all 500GB worth of Hard Drive. If anyone has tried this, please post on this forum. Thanks

I would be willing to bet that it's a software limitation in the recorders firmware. Good luck I hope I'm wrong!
post #408 of 462 Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post

I would be willing to bet that it's a software limitation in the recorders firmware. Good luck I hope I'm wrong!

Another problem with doing something like this is the 'DELETE ALL HDD TITLES' or 'FORMAT HDD' procedure won't work or will produce an error message. If the process works, it will convert the drive back to 250 GB.

But be thankful , a lot of other brands of HDD recorders won't allow you to format the HDD, only do some kind of HDD titles delete. I question how effective that is to defragment the drive. With 500 GB of capacity, definitely do all your editing on the playlists, to avoid defragmenting the drive. Hell, some recorders can't create playlists either, and if so, not as easily.

In a similar vein, nobody has had any luck upgrading the 80 GB HDD on the RD-KX50. If you put in a 160 GB HDD and do a format, you only get 80 GB. I'm thinking since it's exactly the same component-wise as an RD-XS52 except for the DigiPC board, maybe you can format a 160 GB HDD on the RD-XS52 and stick that drive into an RD-KX50. Will work fine until you do a HDD TITLE DELETE or format from the SETUP menu. Haven't gotten around to trying this . . .
post #409 of 462 Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have an XS 32 with a disk in upside down. It will not eject. Any ideas of how to get the disk out. Thanks
post #410 of 462 Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

I have an XS 32 with a disk in upside down. It will not eject. Any ideas of how to get the disk out. Thanks

Unplug the Tosh and when you plug it back in keep pressing and releasing the eject button. I got one out that way once.
post #411 of 462 Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 AM

I need to recover data from a failing/failed hard drive from an xs52. I have already made a clone of the drive and I have run raw file recoveries on the cloned drive. My results have been at best, poor. I have a bunch of raw files but none seem to be of use. Can anyone help me in recovering the data from the failed drive? Any advice would be great.
post #412 of 462 Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 AM

You can make a clone drive using Linux. $ dd if={device file of the source harddisk} of={device file of the destination (blank) harddisk} Assuming the sectors of the drive can still be read, you should get a mirrored harddisk.
Good luck
post #413 of 462 Old 11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstorrs View Post

I need to recover data from a failing/failed hard drive from an xs52. I have already made a clone of the drive and I have run raw file recoveries on the cloned drive. My results have been at best, poor. I have a bunch of raw files but none seem to be of use. Can anyone help me in recovering the data from the failed drive? Any advice would be great.

As far as I know, nobody's figured out the filesystem on the XS series.

I still have a copy of my XS32's drive when it corrupted itself years ago.
(In retrospect, I put a TINY bit of blame on myself, as I force shut down the machine after it hung after I put in a DVD while it was recording.. In retrospect, I should have waited and I think it would have "un-hung" when the timed recording would have finished.. since in many ways, the "DVD" and "hard drive" activities seem to be separate from each other, based upon some other weird things I've seen since.. But most of the blame I put on the buggy player, and not using a filesystem that can handle being powered off at any time.)
post #414 of 462 Old 11-20-2009, 02:09 AM

Toshiba says that they are not running Linux on the XS' so it must be a proprietary operating system.

-Willie
post #415 of 462 Old 11-21-2009, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Since Toshiba has discontinued all the hard drive recorders you would think they would release the imformation on the hard drive format. But I guess they still want the repair/service money.
post #416 of 462 Old 11-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Just wanted to add one more HDD entry to the XS35 successful swap list:

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725025GLAT80 (00A35390) 250GB

I got it from:

Newegg.com; search for 22-145-212 (I tried to put in the URL, but this
is my first post so I'm not allowed to do so yet...)

and it cost me just under $60 with shipping. Thanks to nextoo for the wonderful instructions on doing non-original HDD swaps!

The original 160GB HDD isn't failing yet (knock on wood), but the DVD burner just doesn't want to make any usable CDRs anymore so I'm running out of space. I'm not looking forward to the idea of spending $200+ on replacing the DVD burner so I decided to drop a new HDD in and fill that one up while investigating options for the DVD burner.

As expected, the new HDD "only" shows the 160GB/72.X hour capacity after following nextoo's HDD swap instructions. After format, I did a short capture and playback to verify that the new HDD worked. I was also able to drop the original 160GB HDD back in and it still works. I have 5+ hours left on the original HDD so I'll use that up and then move onto the next phase.

In the next phase, I'm going to setup an external drive enclosure and then attach the new HDD again. The original HDD will get labeled, put in a static bag and put on the shelf. Accessing the captures on the original HDD will require swapping the drive, but that'll be easier to do in the external drive enclosure than in the original case.
post #417 of 462 Old 12-26-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubed View Post

Just wanted to add one more HDD entry to the XS35 successful swap list:

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725025GLAT80 (00A35390) 250GB

I got it from:

Newegg.com; search for 22-145-212 (I tried to put in the URL, but this
is my first post so I'm not allowed to do so yet...)

Looks like someone on Newegg used the drive for their TiVo system. Unfortunately it's out-of-stock and will no longer be available.

This is an interesting thread that I came across regarding MT-22 firmware for the RD-XS34.

-Willie
post #418 of 462 Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Clevor: I tried the same Seagate 160 GB ACE drive (ST3160815A) on an RD-XS32, which is real compliant with various HDDs and also got the 7034 error.

ST3160815A is not an ACE drive, it is a PC drive. The DB35 series that Seagate set up for DVR vendors are ACE suffix (CE=Consumer & Entertainment).

Some Toshiba recorders viz XS35, XS54, and XS55 are very friendly, and will take almost any IDE drive. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14989055 lists all the known successful swaps as of 11/08.

XS32 is one of the unfriendly models and will only accept one upgrade drive, the 160GB ST3160022ACE which comes stock in the XS35. My XS35s have been replaced with other drives, and the factory drives used to upgrade the XS32s.
post #419 of 462 Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 AM

I am having a hard time swapping my drive in my xs34 it has the st3160022ace in it and I am trying to put in a st3250620a and I get an error number 7034 and it will not turn on push the power button and nothing...I also tried a 250 gig maxtor drive and got same result, so I bought the seagate thinking it had to be a seagate because that was in it?

I hope someone can help me, I hard resat the dvr I unplugged it and swapped drives then I turned it on got the error 7034 then hard resat it again but no fix... what am I doing wrong?

thanks everyone
post #420 of 462 Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchris1w View Post

I am having a hard time swapping my drive in my xs34 it has the st3160022ace in it and I am trying to put in a st3250620a...

XS34 is monogama-disk see table in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14989055
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page