Toshiba XS32, XS54, XS35, (all XS models) - HDD swap info!!! - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 463 Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Check your PMs.

Can someone PM me the service manual for Toshiba XS54 as well. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 463 Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
All I've got are the service manuals for the XS35 and the XS34, if you're interested.
post #423 of 463 Old 11-08-2010, 07:24 AM

if any of them are similar to XS 54 please do so, thanks a lot
post #424 of 463 Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute14k View Post

if any of them are similar to XS 54 please do so, thanks a lot

Still looking for the XS54 service manual? I have it, had to look through some old files but found it.
post #425 of 463 Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Hello Burnerbum,

Could you send me a copy of the Service Manual for the XS54.

Thank you,
Lloyd
post #426 of 463 Old 11-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post
Still looking for the XS54 service manual? I have it, had to look through some old files but found it.
yes please PM me thanks a lot
post #427 of 463 Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

All I've got are the service manuals for the XS35 and the XS34, if you're interested.

Hi

Any chance you could send me a copy of the XS 34 service manual.

Many thanks
post #428 of 463 Old 11-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Check your PMs.
post #429 of 463 Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Does anyone know a fix for the 7034 error? I've got 2 WD drives that worked fine until I used them as EHDs for a Dish Network receiver, now they give the 7034 error. Both drives work fine in a PC and with the DN receiver but whatever the DN receiver did to the drives made them no longer Toshiba compatible.
post #430 of 463 Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Does anyone know a fix for the 7034 error? I've got 2 WD drives that worked fine until I used them as EHDs for a Dish Network receiver, now they give the 7034 error. Both drives work fine in a PC and with the DN receiver but whatever the DN receiver did to the drives made them no longer Toshiba compatible.

I don't know what the 7034 error code means, and this is just a guess, but..

If you're certain that the same HDD worked before you used it elsewhere, maybe it's because the Toshiba DVR expects the HDD to be in a "virgin" state!?.. That is, with no prior partitions nor formatting already on disk.

Which model Toshiba are you using?
post #431 of 463 Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckvcr View Post

I don't know what the 7034 error code means, and this is just a guess, but..

If you're certain that the same HDD worked before you used it elsewhere, maybe it's because the Toshiba DVR expects the HDD to be in a "virgin" state!?.. That is, with no prior partitions nor formatting already on disk.

Which model Toshiba are you using?

I've tried an XS52, XS34 and XS35. The HDDs had been used in a PC before putting them in a Toshiba recorder the first time. I don't know what recorder they were formatted in, it may have been an XS32 or KX50, I don't have either of them anymore so I can't try them.

I tried using DBAN but it didn't do any good.
post #432 of 463 Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi xs54 fans I have some new sw- pana drives for these machines, send me a pm if you might need any.

MickinCT
post #433 of 463 Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

Hi xs54 fans I have some new sw- pana drives for these machines, send me a pm if you might need any.
Thanks. I actually have two DVD drives that also are DVD-RAM and one Maxtor HD that is supposed to work perfectly with the RD-XS 54. I'd consider giving you a ring to ensure that I'm future proofed but...

Alas... I am very likely moving to a PAL country and may need to sell most of my electronics, including my beloved Toshiba rd-xs 54 - perhaps my favorite piece of equipment, which I future proofed as you can see, lol. As of tomorrow I'll be finding out whether it goes on sale at ebay and then I've got to start packing. frown.gif I can't believe they haven't made these devices for years.
post #434 of 463 Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

I am very likely moving to a PAL country...

Most PAL countries still have a lot more options for DVD/HDD recorders. The newest LG recorders are getting pretty good reviews and are apparently “modernized”. They are fairly inexpensive and plentiful as many retailers carry them.

But if I moved to a PAL country I would look for one of the discontinued Sony recorders – the ones that were still running on the Pioneer OS. If you look real hard you may still find some retailers with limited stock and I hear there are tons of lightly used ones available. Apparently these were modernized versions with dual digital tuners and other added features that the latest North American Pioneers didn’t have.
post #435 of 463 Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Most PAL countries still have a lot more options for DVD/HDD recorders. The newest LG recorders are getting pretty good reviews and are apparently “modernized”. They are fairly inexpensive and plentiful as many retailers carry them.
But if I moved to a PAL country I would look for one of the discontinued Sony recorders – the ones that were still running on the Pioneer OS. If you look real hard you may still find some retailers with limited stock and I hear there are tons of lightly used ones available. Apparently these were modernized versions with dual digital tuners and other added features that the latest North American Pioneers didn’t have.
Thanks - this is great advice. I'm learning a great deal here about PAL - it's such a pain moving from North America. Hard to believe that such a small difference is everything.

I'm going to look for the Sony recorders and see what's available but happy with anything of reasonable quality. I think that there is an outlet near me here that actually may have one and will go take a good look at. Many thanks as I never would have thought of that.

I'm putting up the Toshiba RD-XS54 on eBay tomorrow. It really burns me. It's a few years later and this thing is such a great all around player, recorder and even a reasonable editor to produce some nice DVDs directly out of the unit. I cannot comprehend why these were discontinued. Going from HD to DVD is awesome and TIVO machines do not get the job done.
post #436 of 463 Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know what the "can't authenticate hard drive" on the XS54 is? I know the HDD is good, I put it in another XS54 and it works fine. I'm guessing the digital board.
post #437 of 463 Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Just a WAG, but how about trying, if you have a Torx screwdriver handy, changing out the PC board on the HDD?

post #438 of 463 Old 08-26-2013, 11:05 PM

THANK YOU!! I followed your directions for my KX50 and it worked! I am so grateful.
post #439 of 463 Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Brand new ST3160022A didn't work in my XS32 running ZL10.  Exchanged it for a refurbished ST3160022ACE that did work.  Also tried a Maxtor 6L080L0, which didn't work.

post #440 of 463 Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwc123 View Post

Exchanged it for a refurbished ST3160022ACE that did work.

By any chance, is this your handiwork? smile.gif

post #441 of 463 Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Anyone know what the "can't authenticate hard drive" on the XS54 is? I know the HDD is good, I put it in another XS54 and it works fine. I'm guessing the digital board.

mad.gifEbay Seller Sold Me an RD-XS54 with the Wrong Remote mad.gif

The seller is someone conversant with the concepts in this thread, since he indicates he swapped out the HDD.rolleyes.gif

I was initially quite happy that I won an auction for a Toshiba RD-XS54 w/REMOTE. I rarely bid on auctions, and I even more rarely win. When I got the unit, there were several small problems and discrepancies, but I was willing to overlook them as long as I could get the unit to work. However, with the wrong remote he sent me, it is not even possible to schedule the unit to record a TV show. Now that TVGOS has gone dark, the only way to schedule recordings is manually, but that function cannot be accessed via the wrong remote he sent me.

What would you guys do if you were in my place?

Here is the exchange we had on eBay. Read from the bottom up.
Quote:
Dear plplplpl,

Sorry you feel that way.
What's pictured is all you will receive.
Thanks Again

- [seller]

To: [seller]
Subject: Re: [seller] sent a message about Toshiba RD-XS54SU 250GB HDD DVD DVR Video Recorder Player HDMI w/REMOTE #121292604805
Sent Date: 05-Apr-14 16:38:16 EDT

Dear [seller],

Hi and thanks again for your response.

Thanks for the tips on the HDMI connection behavior. For the time being, I'm using component so it's not been an issue, but it's good to keep in mind.

Actually, if you zoom in on the photos you posted and look very carefully, you can see that on the top right front face of the unit, just to the right of the Timeslip. Stop, Play and Pause buttons, there's a little hole where the missing Record button should be.

Still, I'm willing to let that slide, since the Record button on even the wrong remote you sent me works for that purpose.

However, the wrong remote is a dealbreaker because some basic functions don't work without the right remote. For example, there is no way to set the unit to record a TV show. I managed to go through the Setup menu to get it set up for my analog cable channels, but without some keys that are missing from the wrong remote you sent me, there's no way to set it to record TV shows, which is a fundamental feature this kind of machine is made for.

It is not unreasonable to presume that when a machine is advertised as "w/REMOTE, " the remote is the right one for the unit, not a different, wrong one that doesn't work properly.

I'm writing to you once again in the hope of a fair resolution.

Thank you,

- plplplpl

To: plplplpl
Subject: Re: [seller ]sent a message about Toshiba RD-XS54SU 250GB HDD DVD DVR Video Recorder Player HDMI w/REMOTE #121292604805
Sent Date: 03-Apr-14 18:49:22 EDT

Dear plplplpl,

I'm Glad your getting good results with it. I think the "goo" is from old rubber. I cleaned it with Windex from time to time.
I only opened and closed the tray with the remote. Never pushed any of units trays in by hand. So it just needs
a little exercise every now and then.

The record button itself was there during the time I owed it and it really wasn't missed. Check pictures for detail.

The SE-R0161 remote is the only remote that I used. It's the one in the pictures. So that's the one you get.
If you put the SE-R0199 remote next to it, they seem to have the same buttons.
I found it I had trouble getting somewhere, SETUP has a way to get it done.

There is one thing I remember that you may run into. While she's plugged in and working and you're using HDMI,
and you change the Input on your TV to another source, she gets upset and gives an ERR-3C. No worries, it clears
right up when you put it back or reboot the Toshiba.

I think it works really well for the old Gal it is.
Please give Positive feedback as soon as you can, so those PayPal folks release the funds.
Thanks,
[seller]

- [seller]

To: [seller]
Subject: Re: [seller] sent a message about Toshiba RD-XS54SU 250GB HDD DVD DVR Video Recorder Player HDMI w/REMOTE #121292604805
Sent Date: 02-Apr-14 22:06:55 EDT

Dear [seller],

Hi,

I've had a chance to try out the machine over the past few days.

On the positive side, the main components seem to be in good working condition, for example the HDD and especially the burner, which is an important consideration on these units.

There are a few minor concerns. The little Record button on the face of the unit is missing. I can live with that since that function can be started via the remote. Somewhat strangely, the front pull-down face cover is all full of some sort of sticky goo, perhaps a remnant of an attempt to make it stick in the closed position as a fix for a missing latching clip or something. Again, not a dealbreaker. The only real scare I got was when I first tried to open the DVD tray to try a burn. Nothing. It just wouldn't open, no matter how often I pushed the Open button, perhaps because of an infiltration of all that sticky goo in the tray mechanism. After a good deal of gentle prodding, it finally did open, and it's been working OK since. Finally, when I tried to do a first test burn, using the Jimmy Fallon clip you had on the HDD, the entire process just froze up, and only a hard reboot (holding down the Power button for at least ten seconds), brought it back to life. Subsequent burns have completed and finalized OK. Whew.

However, there is a rather major issue. Unfortunately, perhaps inadvertently, it came with the wrong remote. The Toshiba RD-XS54SU requires the SE-RO199 remote control (http://www.newtvremotes.com/Catalog/Item.php?BLI=TOSHIBA&CG=3&model=RD-XS54SU&qlref=020644000P), whereas the remote I was incorrectly sent was model SE-RO161, which is for different machines (http://www.toshiba.newremotecontrol.com/catalog_item.php?catnum=79102815). Therefore, several functions only available with the correct remote cannot be accessed and so do not work.

I wanted to communicate this to you directly in the hopes of a resolution. I am therefore holding off on entering feedback for now.

Best regards,

- plplplpl

To: plplplpl
Sent Date: 28-Mar-14 13:36:49 EDT

Toshiba RD-XS54SU 250GB HDD DVD DVR Video Recorder Player HDMI w/REMOTE
Item Id: 121292604805
End time: 17-Mar-14 22:48:33 EDT
Seller:
[seller](88)
100.0% Positive Feedback
Member since 05-Feb-13 in United States
post #442 of 463 Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

mad.gifEbay Seller Sold Me an RD-XS54 with the Wrong Remote mad.gif

The seller is someone conversant with the concepts in this thread, since he indicates he swapped out the HDD.rolleyes.gif

I was initially quite happy that I won an auction for a Toshiba RD-XS54 w/REMOTE. I rarely bid on auctions, and I even more rarely win. When I got the unit, there were several small problems and discrepancies, but I was willing to overlook them as long as I could get the unit to work. However, with the wrong remote he sent me, it is not even possible to schedule the unit to record a TV show. Now that TVGOS has gone dark, the only way to schedule recordings is manually, but that function cannot be accessed via the wrong remote he sent me.

What would you guys do if you were in my place?

Here is the exchange we had on eBay. Read from the bottom up.

I've seen the right remote for sale om ebay before, if you can find one see if he's willing to buy it for you. I don't know what ebay would do with the remote pictured in the listing.

The SE-R0144 remote for the XS-34/35 has the TV Guide key and will work with the XS-54. There's only one key that's different between the two, though I think it functions the same on all three recorders. The key is "Prog/ HDMI" on the XS-54 remote and "Progressive" on the XS34/35 remote.
post #443 of 463 Old 04-05-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 93

Depending on how he handles trying to get you the correct remote I would not be hesitant to give him a poor feedback rating. Advertising something with a remote only to find out it isn't the correct remote is just plain false advertising, even if the photo showed a different remote than original. I mean how many people would actually know the remote was original or not just from the photo, my guess is the seller darn well knew, which is why he glossed over your inquiries and when he finally realized you knew your business he was rather abrupt and said basically what you got is what you will get. If the seller had advertised it with a universal or compatible remote it would be different but just saying "w/remote" indicates to basically everyone that it would be the original remote.

post #444 of 463 Old 04-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tips.

One tell-tale sign I've noticed is that the wrong remote has the VCRplus logo, which doesn't match the TV Guide logo on the unit.

Any remotes I've managed to find on eBay, including some dubious-looking ones shipping from China which claim to be for the RD-XS 54SU, only have the incorrect VCRplus logo, if you look closely.

The only place I've managed to locate the correct SE-RO199 remote so far is here: http://www.newtvremotes.com/Catalog/Item.php?BLI=TOSHIBA&CG=3&model=RD-XS54SU&qlref=020644000P . They also seem to have the SE-RO144 you mention, which also has the TV Guide logo.
post #445 of 463 Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

I just made the same mistake with a recorder sold on Amazon. I got the package to FedEx right before final pick up for the day and realized when I got back home I sent the wrong remote. Being too late to go back to FedEx and swap remotes I sent the right one USPS the same day. I had the right remote to send though. I'm guessing the ebay seller doesn't have the right remote.
post #446 of 463 Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with jjeff. Also, the seller should have mentioned the missing record button and the sticky goo. The fact that you had trouble opening the tray could have been due to shipping since the tray works fine now.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out plplplpl
post #447 of 463 Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Also, the seller should have mentioned the missing record button and the sticky goo.

I have a few of these recorders, they are all sticky on the faceplate behind the door. Wheather they are that way new or not I don't know. I don't consider it a fault with all of them I've seen being like that. .
post #448 of 463 Old 04-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I have a few of these recorders, they are all sticky on the faceplate behind the door. Wheather they are that way new or not I don't know. I don't consider it a fault with all of them I've seen being like that. .

That’s good to know, thanks for passing that info for anyone buying one in the future.
post #449 of 463 Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

If that guy used the machine like he said, then he would have known that it was the wrong remote. I don't understand his post "The record button itself was there during the time I owed it and it really wasn't missed. Check pictures for detail." The record button was there, then where did it go? I don't think this machine got the white glove treatment.

I would pursue a refund or proper remote. When you advertise something with a remote you assume it's the correct remote unless otherwise stated. Which it should have been.

I used a 52 and 54 and I know that the remotes aren't interchangeable for programming.

To be honest, I didn't think people used these anymore. I had a brand new Magnavox, still in the box and a Phillips new in the box that I donated to the Salvation Army. I didn't think there was a market for them anymore.
post #450 of 463 Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

plplplpl

Also, I have the Factory Service Manual for the 54 on pdf if you need it.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page