Toshiba XS32, XS54, XS35, (all XS models) - HDD swap info!!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 463 Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
yes ok BUT WHAT IS THE FIRMWARE IT IS ON THE SAME LABEL ON THE drive unit?? F/W??????

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 463 Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

yes ok BUT WHAT IS THE FIRMWARE IT IS ON THE SAME LABEL ON THE drive unit?? F/W??????

The label has F/W=MT18. I don't remember if Setup -- DVD Software version showed MT18.
post #93 of 463 Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Interesting. The 9574 was a fairly common Panasonic drive (Fairly common in the "you could find them at most stores" sort of way, not heavily used). I wonder if a 9585 would work for the swap... the 9585 was a VERY big quality drop, though, and didn't take cartridge DVD-RAM. I just wonder if Panasonic changed enough to make it not work...
post #94 of 463 Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc5 View Post

I was thinking about starting an XS series burner swap thread like this HDD thread. Opinions?

I'm interested, in my case for the XS35.
post #95 of 463 Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscott42 View Post

Interesting. The 9574 was a fairly common Panasonic drive (Fairly common in the "you could find them at most stores" sort of way, not heavily used). I wonder if a 9585 would work for the swap... the 9585 was a VERY big quality drop, though, and didn't take cartridge DVD-RAM. I just wonder if Panasonic changed enough to make it not work...

It's a 9574-E, I forgot to include the E earlier. I didn't even realize it was a Panasonic until I read your post, and sure enough, it says Panasonic. The front of the burner (without the face plate) is different than other burners I've dissected. As the tray extends, it pushes a flap that I assume is there to open the XS54 door.
post #96 of 463 Old 05-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

It's a 9574-E, I forgot to include the E earlier. I didn't even realize it was a Panasonic until I read your post, and sure enough, it says Panasonic. The front of the burner (without the face plate) is different than other burners I've dissected. As the tray extends, it pushes a flap that I assume is there to open the XS54 door.

It's a 9574-E, IT IS ALSO IN THE TOSHIBA D-VR-4 RECORDER SOMETIMES. AND I MEAN SOMETIMES. they also installed the sw9473 in them too. I have several as backups. ALSO was able to change firmware to panasonic to be able to use in pc . it;s a 8x burner, cd etc. works great. so make sure they have same f/w ie MT18 .....

MickinCT
post #97 of 463 Old 05-24-2007, 02:24 PM

For those interested in swapping the RD-XS32 burner, there is already a thread here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30

And on another site here...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266129
post #98 of 463 Old 05-24-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

It's a 9574-E, IT IS ALSO IN THE TOSHIBA D-VR-4 RECORDER SOMETIMES. AND I MEAN SOMETIMES. they also installed the sw9473 in them too. I have several as backups. ALSO was able to change firmware to panasonic to be able to use in pc . it;s a 8x burner, cd etc. works great. so make sure they have same f/w ie MT18 .....

Great info. Thanks!
post #99 of 463 Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Um, the title is correct. As I've posted, I've been able to repeatedly swap three original 80GB HDDs between three XS32s, record, delete, edit, and hi-speed dub titles on each, with all content intact regardless of which HDD was in which XS32.

Also, I've put two brand new 80GB Maxtor HDDs in these XS32s, formatted them after the initial authentication warning, and then did similar swaps as above. Every single time, each XS32 powered up and worked as if it had it's original drive.

As far as I know, no one has been able to successfully swap a bigger HDD into an XS32, and I haven't heard of anyone trying a different model 80GB HDD.

*I* tried a different model 80 gig drive -- another Seagate.. I give the exact model in another thread... and my XS32 simply came up with one of the hard drive error codes (7000s I think) right away and the machine is essentially hung.

Plus, for the *other* machines, you can pick a random drive and it will format (to the size the original machine supported)... right?

so I still think that the thread title is largely incorrect, since you can't just use 'random drive' in an XS32 as a replacement..
post #100 of 463 Old 05-26-2007, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

*I* tried a different model 80 gig drive -- another Seagate.. I give the exact model in another thread... and my XS32 simply came up with one of the hard drive error codes (7000s I think) right away and the machine is essentially hung.

Plus, for the *other* machines, you can pick a random drive and it will format (to the size the original machine supported)... right?

so I still think that the thread title is largely incorrect, since you can't just use 'random drive' in an XS32 as a replacement..

Mattack, didn't you try to clone your original XS32 HDD to the Seagate first? That may have caused a problem. Or, since your new Seagate model number was a bit off, maybe that's an issue. You bought the Seagate on ebay, are you sure it works okay (no bad sectors)? As soon as I have time, I'll format one of my 80GB HDDs in my pc and see if the XS32 is still able to format and use it. If I had a different model 80GB I'd try that too. There seem to be limitations on what HDDs which models will accept, but we haven't tried enough different combos to see a clear pattern.

Which leads us to - again, I do think the thread title is accurate. It clearly indicates that this thread is all about swapping HDDs in XS models. Since what works in one XS model may work in another, someone might miss out on good info if they only search for, say, an XS55 HDD swap. The title doesn't say you can definitively swap any random HDD into every XS model. I'm hoping people will continue to post what doesn't work. Remember, when I started this thread, no one had successfully swapped HDDs in any XS model (or at least made it public). I think the fact that I've been able to randomly use 5 different (but same model) Maxtor HDDs in three different XS32s supports the relevance of HDD swap info to the XS32. Okay??
post #101 of 463 Old 05-26-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

See if you can just do a low-level format, through the BIOS or something. ANY sort of PC-based formatting will leave some debris that the XS32 may reject. (I'm not even sure if you can do low-level formats on IDE drives, I know you can on SCSI.) Maybe try to find the manufacturer's diagnostic disc? Many of them let you zero out drives so there is NOTHING on them at all...
post #102 of 463 Old 05-26-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just pulled a working XS32 80GB HDD, and using an external IDE-USB adapter, formatted it in Windows XP (NTFS) and copied some files to it. Put it back in the XS32, got the authentication error message, formatted the HDD via Setup, and it works just fine.

I've used mfgr disk utilities and pc BIOS for low level formats, but that wasn't necessary in this case.
post #103 of 463 Old 05-26-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you pull it from the same XS32 you put it back in? It's possible the XS32 "knew" that HDD (like, a serial number stored somewhere) so it was ok with it.

The trick will be trying to put in any random 80gb HDD..
post #104 of 463 Old 05-26-2007, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscott42 View Post

Did you pull it from the same XS32 you put it back in? It's possible the XS32 "knew" that HDD (like, a serial number stored somewhere) so it was ok with it.

The trick will be trying to put in any random 80gb HDD..

After formatting it in one XS32, I tried it in a different one and I could record, edit, delete in both. And, the HDD is one of the brand new ones I bought.
post #105 of 463 Old 05-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Um, the title is correct. As I've posted, I've been able to repeatedly swap three original 80GB HDDs between three XS32s, record, delete, edit, and hi-speed dub titles on each, with all content intact regardless of which HDD was in which XS32.

Also, I've put two brand new 80GB Maxtor HDDs in these XS32s, formatted them after the initial authentication warning, and then did similar swaps as above. Every single time, each XS32 powered up and worked as if it had it's original drive.

As far as I know, no one has been able to successfully swap a bigger HDD into an XS32, and I haven't heard of anyone trying a different model 80GB HDD.

I'm trying to keep the first post in this thread updated with what XS HDD swaps have been tried. My intention is to compile all XS model HDD replacement info here, whether successful or not, so no one has to search umpteen threads to find out that a specific combo has already been tried and doesn't work. Hence the title - HDD Swap Info

Were you also able to high speed dub/read DVD-RAM ? The reason I ask is because I have an XS-32 with a HDD that works just fine but won't read or record onto DVD-RAM and I haven't seen anyone on this thread discussing DVD drive replacement. Is that due to high cost?
post #106 of 463 Old 05-26-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildv View Post

Were you also able to high speed dub/read DVD-RAM ? The reason I ask is because I have an XS-32 with a HDD that works just fine but won't read or record onto DVD-RAM and I haven't seen anyone on this thread discussing DVD drive replacement. Is that due to high cost?

Your DVD-RAM problem is probably due to the burner or media. Many of us have successfully changed XS32 burners: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=653912

I've used an LG 4167B and an LG H42 in a couple of XS32s, and can read and burn all media (including RAM), except CDs will no longer play. It's a pretty straightforward swap, and the LG drives at places like newegg are around $35.
post #107 of 463 Old 05-28-2007, 07:51 AM

Hi.
I need a hack code to unlock dvd regions for KX50.
Thanks for your help.
Best regards from Brazil...............Fernando
post #108 of 463 Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I did some more testing and have a couple of new working HDD replacements to share. I'm updating the swap part of the first post in this thread to include these.

I got a Seagate ST3160022A 160GB HDD to try in an XS52. I set the jumper to cable select, installed the HDD, got an HDD error message on the screen, went to HDD Format, and it formatted perfectly! I can record, delete, dub, etc.

Now for the really exciting news. I put this new drive into my XS32 and the few titles I recorded on the XS52 showed up and played fine. I looked at the time remaining on the HDD and decided to reformat the HDD in the XS32 to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. Yep, the XS32 sees the full 160GB!!! To compare, here are the LP and SP times for the old 80GB vs. the newly formatted 160GB drive in the XS32:

LP (2.2) 70:10 now 137:42
SP (4.6) 35:43 now 70:07

I also tried the original XS52 HDD in the XS32, and that works fine, too.

So, to be redundant, you can install a 160GB XS52 HDD in the XS32, and the XS32 can use the entire 160GB!!! See my post earlier in this thread for Toshiba service manual replacement HDD model numbers. If anyone tries a different 160GB HDD in an XS32 or XS52, please post the results, since the Seagate and Maxtor HDDs listed for the XS52 are hard to find and more expensive than other 160GB HDDs.
post #109 of 463 Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 PM

I have just found this today. My XS44 has started to give the following message when trying to copy to DVD-RW "System was unable to read content on HDD etc" Maybe the HD is on the way out eben though the machine is only 12 nonths old.

In this thread I have found no mention of the XS44 which has a 250Gb HD. Is it the Australian equivalent of the XS54?

Look forward to your replies.
post #110 of 463 Old 06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did some more testing and have a couple of new working HDD replacements to share. I'm updating the swap part of the first post in this thread to include these.

I got a Seagate ST3160022A 160GB HDD to try in an XS52. I set the jumper to cable select, installed the HDD, got an HDD error message on the screen, went to HDD Format, and it formatted perfectly! I can record, delete, dub, etc.

Now for the really exciting news. I put this new drive into my XS32 and the few titles I recorded on the XS52 showed up and played fine. I looked at the time remaining on the HDD and decided to reformat the HDD in the XS32 to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. Yep, the XS32 sees the full 160GB!!! To compare, here are the LP and SP times for the old 80GB vs. the newly formatted 160GB drive in the XS32:

LP (2.2) 70:10 now 137:42
SP (4.6) 35:43 now 70:07

I also tried the original XS52 HDD in the XS32, and that works fine, too.

So, to be redundant, you can install a 160GB XS52 HDD in the XS32, and the XS32 can use the entire 160GB!!! See my post earlier in this thread for Toshiba service manual replacement HDD model numbers. If anyone tries a different 160GB HDD in an XS32 or XS52, please post the results, since the Seagate and Maxtor HDDs listed for the XS52 are hard to find and more expensive than other 160GB HDDs.

Great stuff! I read this and tried the same thing with a 250GB drive from an XS54 installed in a XS35. It booted fine but I got an error message saying that there were problems with the drive and content was only available for playback. I then tried to format the drive and the 250GB drive formatted to a 160GB capacity. So unfortunately this won't work on the XS35. Too bad. Great catch though!
post #111 of 463 Old 06-04-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Great stuff! I read this and tried the same thing with a 250GB drive from an XS54 installed in a XS35. It booted fine but I got an error message saying that there were problems with the drive and content was only available for playback. I then tried to format the drive and the 250GB drive formatted to a 160GB capacity. So unfortunately this won't work on the XS35. Too bad. Great catch though!

nextoo - Thanks! It seems you can install a smaller/bigger drive on some units, but no definite pattern yet. Only that 80GB, 160GB and 250GB HDDs are the only ones that work so far. Do you still have the 80GB HDD from your Polaroid sitting around? If you do, maybe you could try it in the XS35. An earlier poster indicated that he bought an XS35 which had been returned with an 80GB HDD installed. I'm curious if you can get that to work, and if so, what model HDD. Thanks.
post #112 of 463 Old 06-04-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H2 View Post

I have just found this today. My XS44 has started to give the following message when trying to copy to DVD-RW "System was unable to read content on HDD etc" Maybe the HD is on the way out eben though the machine is only 12 nonths old.

In this thread I have found no mention of the XS44 which has a 250Gb HD. Is it the Australian equivalent of the XS54?

Look forward to your replies.

I haven't seen an XS44 manual, but it seems to be roughly equivalent to the XS54. Did you get the error once, only with RW, etc? Can it play DVDs okay? Fragmentation or data corruption may be a possibility depending on how you edit, if you've filled the HDD, had power failures while recording, etc. I have an XS32 with a bad HDD, and when trying to format it, a message comes on the screen that the DVD can not be formatted. Well, the HDD obviously isn't a DVD, so the message you're seeing may not truly indicate an HDD problem. It might be the burner.

First, try some different media. If no luck, move your recordings to RW or R (if you still can) and reformat the HDD (Setup - HDD Format). If it does turn out to be the HDD or the burner, there's a good chance you can install a new one, if you don't want to send it out for repair.
post #113 of 463 Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen an XS44 manual, but it seems to be roughly equivalent to the XS54. Did you get the error once, only with RW, etc? Can it play DVDs okay? Fragmentation or data corruption may be a possibility depending on how you edit, if you've filled the HDD, had power failures while recording, etc. I have an XS32 with a bad HDD, and when trying to format it, a message comes on the screen that the DVD can not be formatted. Well, the HDD obviously isn't a DVD, so the message you're seeing may not truly indicate an HDD problem. It might be the burner.

First, try some different media. If no luck, move your recordings to RW or R (if you still can) and reformat the HDD (Setup - HDD Format). If it does turn out to be the HDD or the burner, there's a good chance you can install a new one, if you don't want to send it out for repair.

Thanks for that.

The plot thickens. I turned the machine off over night - just left it on standby, as I had a feeling the HD could have overheated.

Today I copied ( dubbed) four saved programs to DVD-Ram - "The TV series 24" which I have been saving for my son at Uni for him to watch when he returns on leave. All burnt flawlessly.

I then burnt 4 DVD-RWs (as DVD videos) again without any problems.

I previously owned an SX32 which gave me DVD read problems and after replacing the DVD with an LG burner had no further problems. My daugher now uses that machine as it was replaced with the XS44 under extended warranty.

I will keep ane eye on things. I didn't want to reformat the HDD whilst I had programs I wanted my son to watch, but will do that if the problem persists now that I have copied what I wanted to.

By the way, where can one obtain a copy of Toshiba manuals and firmware?
post #114 of 463 Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 AM

Hi everyone. New to the forums, but not to the heartaches and frustrations of the Toshiba RD-KX50 HDD swap troubles.

I thought I stumbled across a solution, but I thought wrong. My KX50 unit has the 80 GB Seagate ST380012ACE hard drive, and I've been trying a little bit of everything mentioned in this thread, but with little luck.

The ZOOM - 701 - ZOOM trick works for my unit, and is the only one thus far that initiates the "INIT OK" message. I've been using that command and trying different sized HDD's from different manufacturers, but no dice.

So I did a "hot swap" by booting up the original 80 GB Seagate, unplugging the power/data cables, then dropping an XP Professional, SP2, NTFS-formatted 200 GB Seagate ST3200822A hard drive in it.

To my amazement, the machine didn't go up in flames. I went to the format option, and it formatted the drive without even a hiccup.

Recorded just fine, was able to high speed dub to my -R/RAM/HDD with no problems. Even deleted. Then I restarted.

ERR 7034.

Dropped the 80 GB drive back in, all was right in the world as far as the KX50 was concerned. Tried another "hot swap" with the same results, only this time I decided to check out the Content Menu to see if the unit was really seeing the disk.

It was looking for the pre-recorded content on the other drive: It had all the titles, duration, names, chapters, you name it--except for the thumbnails. All I saw was snow, and when I tried to play back the "phantom files," all I saw was snow.

I performed a "Delete All Titles" command, and the machine spat back an "Unknown Error" message, then disappeared. Pressed the Content Menu button again, and it said that I had an empty drive.

I checked the Disk Information page out, and it told me the same thing. I had an empty drive to work with. Formatted again, without a hitch, recorded some more, performed some High Speed Dubbing tricks, then restarted the machine, this time using the ZOOM - 701 - ZOOM trick.

That went just fine, but when it came time to initialize the drive, ERR 7034 popped up again. I loathe these numbers.

I'm not looking for increased capacity, I'm just looking to prolong the life of my investments for a couple more years. I'll keep trying different things, and keep everyone posted. Just don't give up on the KX50 just yet.

Ben

Oct-19-2007 UPDATE: It has been determined that performing a "hotswap" is a no go, and ultimately a dangerous move to perform, not only for the machine, but a person's physical well being.

It was a necessary step to perform at the time as part of the troubleshooting routine, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, but you know what they say about hindsight being 20/20.
post #115 of 463 Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Ben - Thanks for sharing. Did you try either a new ST380012A or any other 80GB or 160GB HDD? I had zero luck with my XS32 until I tried the same model 80GB HDD. I think the best chance of getting anything to work is using a new, same model HDD, since no one seems to have had any luck with the KX50.

If you've noticed how it repopulates titles and thumbnails, along with how you said it had titles, but no thumbnails from the previous HDD, I'd guess it keeps the titles and some data in RAM, and updates the thumbnails from the HDD. By hot swapping without rebooting, the XS32 didn't know the HDD had changed, so I'm not surprised you got unknown errors. I've seen 7034 errors when I had the wrong size HDD installed (40GB, 120GB or 250GB) in my XS32. Good luck!
post #116 of 463 Old 06-05-2007, 11:35 AM

Hi rick,

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have a new (or used) ST380012A, or anything from SG within that range/size on me at the moment, but that's something to consider when I am able to appropriate the funds.

Something interesting, though: When I plugged the ST3200822A back into my PC, my machine had to re-install the drivers and everything for it.

And when I looked it up under Computer Management (WinXP Pro, SP2), it told me I had 186.31 GB's uninitialized and unallocated. Funny considering that it *was* initialized and allocated when I formatted the beast (didn't format it new; it was in use in 2 other machines prior to the KX50 test runs).

Could this mean that the KX50 is performing its own form of a low-level format? In a sense, maybe, but not likely. As you've said, it's looking for the ST380012A, and formatting it as such (200 GB drive formatted down to 80 GB).

I tried the same trick using a Western Digital 1600JB drive (160 GB), with the same results. I also tried a Samsung SpinPoint 80 GB (Model SV8004H), and I think it (the drive) gave up the ghost .

The KX50 is doing *something* to these drives. It's just a matter of finding a way to get the KX50 and the new HDD to like each other during the boot/reboot process.

Perhaps someone with the expertise could perform a hotswap, format new drive, then ghost the old drive over to the new one? Just throwing out some ideas.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Ben
post #117 of 463 Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm 99.999% sure that the Toshibas don't do any kind of low level format. They do a proprietary, but typical, high level file system format. I've been able to see the data on XS32 and XS54 HDDs using a hex editor. I can reformat an 80GB drive in a pc (NTFS), store data, reformat in my XS32, record, go back to the pc and reformat, etc., etc. Same with an XS54 and a 250GB. I haven't tried cloning an XS HDD yet, as it hasn't been necessary on my XS models, which can recognize and format the "right" HDDs.

The XS32 and KX50 list the same replacement HDDs, and the only difference is that the KX50 jumper is on cable select. I posted a link earlier about where I got my Maxtor 4R080L0 for $32. That's about as cheap as you can get for the HDD that has the best chance of working - I have a new one that works in both an XS32 and XS52. If I can find a cheap KX50, I'll pick one up for experiments.

Interesting about the WD1600JB not working. I was thinking about getting one to try in the XS32 and XS52.
post #118 of 463 Old 06-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Just to touch base, in case anyone is wondering, I'm trying to swap HDD's with my Toshiba RD-KX50 80 GB HDD/DVD-R/RAM unit.

My unit's specs are as follows:

Unit Software Version: YA10 (Y-A-one-zero)
DVD Drive Software: J130 (J-one-three-zero)

HDD Specs:

Seagate
U Series 9
80 Gbytes

Model: ST380012ACE
Firmware: 9.51
Site Code: WU

I found a 160 GB Seagate drive, model ST3160023A, but it's a bad drive. The KX50 got to 10% format, then spat out "Unable to format DVD." Interesting that it spat out "DVD."

Another thing: I fired up the original HDD with the jumper set on MASTER, and it booted and operated normally.

I tried a WD3200JB, with the jumper set to master, and it did the same thing as the other WD drive.

I'm tempted to try booting up one of the WD drives, and when the error code pops up, try hot-swapping the original HDD back in. I'm not ready to try that just yet, though. Reason #1 being that I still have content on the original HDD (playing with fire, I know), and secondly, I found an ST380012ACE on eBay for $37.90 altogether.

I want to try what rickc5 has suggested about getting as close to the original HDD's specs as possible, and I think this is as close as it gets (without dropping a grand on that bogus site a few posts back )

The specs on the new drive are:

Model: ST380012ACE
Part Number: 9W6022-001
Firmware: 4.06
Site Code: WU

In the tiny picture that follows the information, I can even make out the message about the drive being OEM, just like how mine does. I'll keep my fingers crossed and report back with any new findings. Hope this is helping somebody out there.

Ben
post #119 of 463 Old 06-06-2007, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, some of those official replacement HDDs are insanely priced, but those places are good for cables and other proprietary parts. In case you missed it, back in post #13, this is the link I gave: http://www.santechusa.com/advert.asp?id=8314

The $32 Maxtor I purchased from them is still working great in my XS32. The Maxtor and Seagate drives should be interchangeable. I got the "Unable to format DVD" message with a bad HDD (see a few posts ago), too. I wonder if the newer models still say that.

I didn't try switching the jumper on a working HDD in the XS52 (it didn't help on a different size HDD), so maybe it doesn't absolutely have to be on cable select. I assume it should, since the KX50/XS52 are the only XS models that have it set that way from the factory, and the service manual has "CS" after the HDD model name.

I wouldn't hot swap your original HDD back in, either. Do that with the replacement if you must. But first, try installing the new Seagate normally - with the power off. Remember, I've been able to randomly and repeatedly swap new and used HDDs between a couple XS32s and an XS52, with zero problems. All with the power off, and using both Maxtor and Seagate HDDs. If the KX50 is an odd duck and won't allow an HDD swap, your new drive should tell us. Unless the new drive has a problem, which may have been why mattack's XS32 HDD clone and swap didn't work last year. That's why I didn't get my first XS32 replacement drive from ebay; I wanted a 100% known, working HDD. Only the main HDD model numbers match in the new HDDs that work in the XS32, XS52 and XS54, and nextoo even has a Western Digital that works in an XS35 and XS54. Your info definitely helps.
post #120 of 463 Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H2 View Post

Thanks for that.

The plot thickens. I turned the machine off over night - just left it on standby, as I had a feeling the HD could have overheated.

Today I copied ( dubbed) four saved programs to DVD-Ram - "The TV series 24" which I have been saving for my son at Uni for him to watch when he returns on leave. All burnt flawlessly.

I then burnt 4 DVD-RWs (as DVD videos) again without any problems.

I previously owned an SX32 which gave me DVD read problems and after replacing the DVD with an LG burner had no further problems. My daugher now uses that machine as it was replaced with the XS44 under extended warranty.

I will keep ane eye on things. I didn't want to reformat the HDD whilst I had programs I wanted my son to watch, but will do that if the problem persists now that I have copied what I wanted to.

By the way, where can one obtain a copy of Toshiba manuals and firmware?

Hey Bob, I remember you from the XS32 burner thread last year. Glad to hear the LG is still working in the XS32.

Toshiba isn't great about firmware updates. I think there were some XS32 updates from Toshiba Canada, and an XS34 update to fix a clock issue, but I don't know anything about the XS44.

Here's a link I found for the XS44 user manual, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I get a 1K junk file instead of a 6M pdf.:http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/28...-recorder.html

Earlier in this thread, I have some links to XS service manuals. No XS44, but maybe the one of the others will be close enough.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page