Toshiba XS32, XS54, XS35, (all XS models) - HDD swap info!!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 463 Old 07-22-2007, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWhitmire View Post

Gotta love the enthusiasm. If it works, then that's just something else for us Toshiba owners to tinker with. Good luck on the DL and be careful with your machine.

BW

Well BW, I didn't pay too much money for the -DL's. I got a "check the disc it might be physically damaged or require cleaning", message when I installed it. So, would I need to eventually hook up a media pc to get this option? If I want to get a program 3hrs long , even at a 4.6 bit rate it still won't record on to a standard disc. Even after the commercials are edited out.
I do intend to upgrade to a 160 gb hdd, eventually. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 463 Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 PM

I know I'm repeating what was already posted but I can confirm that the ST3160022A (160 GB) did work in my XS32 and I have full use of the 160 GB.

Additionally, I have successfully placed the ST3320620A (The 320 GB that did not work in my XS32) in my computer so it wasn't a total waste of money.

I'm still interested in going larger then a 160GB so if anyone has a larger then 160GB HDD that hasn't already been tried and is willing to try it in their XS32 I'd be most appreciative.

Lastly, Burnerbum if you do get the Drive listed below can you please try it or the Maxtor 6L250R0 in the XS32. And let us know the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Has anyone tried the Seagate ST3250623A in the XS54? I did a search but only found that the ST3250823A was listed. Walmart has a few of these on clearance for a little over a 100 bucks. I looked on Seagates website to see if i could see the difference between the two but they don't even show the "623" only the "823". I don't have my recorder available to try it out.

The drive specs are
250 GB Barracuda ATA HD
7200 RPM
16 MB Cache

Thanks,

post #183 of 463 Old 07-25-2007, 05:20 AM

BURNERBUM,

HH37 said he successfully used all 160GB of the Seagate ST3160022A in the XS32. On 7-18-07 you said you picked up a couple of Seagate ST3160022ACE drives. Have you had a chance to try these in the XS32. If so, was all 160GB usable.

Thanks.
post #184 of 463 Old 07-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My XS32 has "micro" small flat cables for both drives. They are actually ribbons that are bout 1/2" wide. Further, both cables were rigorously taped to the case of the DVD drive - the resulting capacitance should be substantial. Which leads to another thought:

In computers, the high speed IDE cable alternates grounds between the signals. Might it be critical to have these ribbon cables rigorously taped to a ground plane? (In fact, the HDD cable is wrapped in foil AND taped rigorously.)

My only thought about this was that I was getting ERR-14 with my stock DVD drive when burning - did it 5 times in a row at varying times into the burn - one burn when all the way to the end. But visual inspection of the DVD indicated there was something terribly wrong with the burns when you could see geometric patterns in the burn.

I replaced with a GSA-H42N which I just laid on top of the oem drive - now the ribbon cables were pretty much out in the air with no ground plane in sight.

Now I get the ERR-14's within the first minute of burn - a rate much sooner than with the oem drive.

My particular XS32 also has RF interference in the tuner that gets mega-substantially worse when I have the cover off.

Since ERR-14 is a failure to communicate with the disc, I'm just wondering about these crummy cables...

Pondering what to do with a non-burning XS32...
Thanks in advance,
Tom
post #185 of 463 Old 07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HH37 and TapeBeGone

I plan on trying these drives out but i'm currently out of town for a few weeks so when i get back home i will post what if find.
post #186 of 463 Old 07-27-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88redhonda View Post

Well BW, I didn't pay too much money for the -DL's. I got a "check the disc it might be physically damaged or require cleaning", message when I installed it. So, would I need to eventually hook up a media pc to get this option? If I want to get a program 3hrs long , even at a 4.6 bit rate it still won't record on to a standard disc. Even after the commercials are edited out.
I do intend to upgrade to a 160 gb hdd, eventually. Thanks.

A media PC would probably be your best bet in order to tap in to the DL disc's capabilities. But don't blow your life's savings on a "media PC;" just make sure your current system is fast enough to handle burning for that long and that you have a DL-capable DVD drive and software that supports the DL feature.

BW
post #187 of 463 Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 AM

Hi all

I'm about to swap the 80gb seagate in my XS32 for a 160gb.......does anyone know whether my pc would recognise the 80gb as I have a lot of stuff on it I want to get off but the Tosh has marked them all as copy protected ( due to me putting a video sender on the output from my sat receiver that the Tosh has taken as protection signals!!).

Any info welcome...cheers
post #188 of 463 Old 07-28-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't think anyone has successfully read the data (in a usable format) off a Toshiba drive...
post #189 of 463 Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 AM

Thanks Jim

Is there any way around this 'copy never' then so I can get the stuff to disc before I change the HDD?? It's only from the TV but there is some '18' stuff off a French sat I can't get again!
post #190 of 463 Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can MOVE copy never stuff to DVD-RAM, AFAIR..
post #191 of 463 Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 AM

Doesn't seem to like that....I have managed to split evrything into 10 minute chapters and then copy one chapter at a time to DVD ram then recopy it back to the HDD then it allows me to put it onto DVD R but it's VERY time consuming...if I try to copy 2 chapters it stops with the copy protection message. Really weird 'cos non of it should have been protected in the first place!!! The first time this started to happen, I reformatted the HDD and it behaved for a while, then started protecting evrything again - Toshiba says it's a fault and needs looking at, but I live in Spain and the language proves a difficult obstacle!! Thought I had cracked the problem with the AV sender, but it still copy protects randomly!
post #192 of 463 Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrymoore View Post

Doesn't seem to like that....I have managed to split evrything into 10 minute chapters and then copy one chapter at a time to DVD ram then recopy it back to the HDD then it allows me to put it onto DVD R but it's VERY time consuming...if I try to copy 2 chapters it stops with the copy protection message. Really weird 'cos non of it should have been protected in the first place!!! The first time this started to happen, I reformatted the HDD and it behaved for a while, then started protecting evrything again - Toshiba says it's a fault and needs looking at, but I live in Spain and the language proves a difficult obstacle!! Thought I had cracked the problem with the AV sender, but it still copy protects randomly!

If you have another DVD recorder, you can purchase Dimax's GREX Macrovision/CPRM remover to cleanly copy over the protected content to the other recorder. Just Google "dimax grex" and the first link should take you where you need to be.

It's a hefty price to pay ($98.00 total USD for me), and they're located in Israel, so it'll take about a little while to receive it (about 14 days for me, but probably shorter for you since you're closer).

DVD-RAM is an option, but not many (if any) DVD players support that format, and since DVD-RAM is an un-closable format, that just adds to the problem.

BW
post #193 of 463 Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWhitmire View Post

DVD-RAM is an option, but not many (if any) DVD players support that format, and since DVD-RAM is an un-closable format, that just adds to the problem.

But there are lots of computer drives that support DVD-RAM nowadays.. ("super multi" drives seem to be more common.)
post #194 of 463 Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

But there are lots of computer drives that support DVD-RAM nowadays.. ("super multi" drives seem to be more common.)

That is very true, and another option, but he would have to purchase software specifically designed to correctly read and transmit that CPRM data found on the DVD-RAM.

It sounds to me like gerrymoore not only wants the CPRM stripped, but would like to play it back on his machine's HDD or regular DVD sometime down the line (who among us doesn't?).

I played the CPRM/DVD-RAM game, and the only straight-forward way I could deal with it was to defeat the CPRM with a Grex unit.

BW
post #195 of 463 Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that I read long ago that someone had shown that there was just a one-bit change for the DRM.
post #196 of 463 Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that I read long ago that someone had shown that there was just a one-bit change for the DRM.

I believe I read something similar over at VideoHelp.com, but when you go there (the subject, not the site), you start getting into the programming aspect of it all. I'm just trying to suggest some straight-forward methods to gerrymoore that I've tested and found to work without getting any premature gray hairs

BW
post #197 of 463 Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi Guys,

Have replaced the XS32 burner with the LG4167B and now looking to get replacement HDD just for insurance as the original drive has never so much as hiccuped.

I see the ST3160022A is listed in the first post which is a UDMA133 7200RPM drive. I also later see reference to the ST3160022ACE which is a UDMA100 5400RPM drive. I assume both would work fine and one would simply not get the higher throughput or rotational speed with the faster drive.

The 'ACE' is actually more expensive than the 'A' where I am sourcing (overseas) so I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which would serve better.

Thanks,
Paul
post #198 of 463 Old 08-10-2007, 06:25 AM

Hi everybody,

I post here, because I'm also in trouble with my XS32. The HDD is dead...
I can't find on market any HDD listed in the current post for the XS32.

So I've a stupid question... is anybody has tried to use the PCB from a ST3160012A on a ST3160013A or another Seagate HD with quite similar spec ?
If the sectors / heads and cylinders are similar, it could work...
post #199 of 463 Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda78 View Post

Hi everybody,

I post here, because I'm also in trouble with my XS32. The HDD is dead...
I can't find on market any HDD listed in the current post for the XS32.

So I've a stupid question... is anybody has tried to use the PCB from a ST3160012A on a ST3160013A or another Seagate HD with quite similar spec ?
If the sectors / heads and cylinders are similar, it could work...

Panda78 - Replacing a bad PCB with a working PCB of the exact same make/model/revision is a dangerous method in and of itself, but doing so with PCB's that only have similar parameters is a recipe for short circuiting your component(s), and you also run the risk of physically hurting yourself. If I were you, I'd find out the exact make/model/revision of your dead PCB and find one with identical specs. I invite others with knowledge in this field to add their own opinions.

BW
post #200 of 463 Old 08-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

Hi Guys,

Have replaced the XS32 burner with the LG4167B and now looking to get replacement HDD just for insurance as the original drive has never so much as hiccuped.

I see the ST3160022A is listed in the first post which is a UDMA133 7200RPM drive. I also later see reference to the ST3160022ACE which is a UDMA100 5400RPM drive. I assume both would work fine and one would simply not get the higher throughput or rotational speed with the faster drive.

The 'ACE' is actually more expensive than the 'A' where I am sourcing (overseas) so I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which would serve better.

Thanks,
Paul

ClarkeBar,

Where did you find the specs on the ST3160022A indicating that it is a 7200 rpm drive. Based on Seagate's website, the only difference between the ST3160022A and the ST3160022ACE is that the CE stands for Consumer Electronics. I tried to search for the ST3160022ACE on the website, but it was not found. Therefore, I'm thinking that they are essentially identical hard drives.

I have been able to locate a few ST3160022ACE drives but have not been able to locate any ST3160022A drives. The fact that the ST3160022ACE has been found compatible with at least one of the XS models (albeit only formatted to 80Gb), I am hoping that it will be fully compatible with my XS32 and will format to the full 160Gb. If I am able to get the ACE model, I will test it in my XS32 and post results.

Also, according to the Seagate website, the ST3160022A has an Ultra ATA/100 interface; not the UDMA133 that you quote.

Ron Bartyczak
post #201 of 463 Old 08-14-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello,

I was using the info from this website:

http://www.ultratec.co.uk/stocklists...del=ST3160022A

Unfortunately they are overseas and the shipping is ridiculous to the US...more than the drive price in some cases.

If you know of any domestic sources for either drive, I'd love to know what you have found. If you're worried about scarcity we can go the PM route.

Even though my original 80GB is doing fine, I really want to nail down the drive upgrade and get it over with. Have done the burner and tried out a Philips 3575 but returned it as I found it less than the XS32 in important regards. Have posted my experiences with it on that thread.

Thanks,
Paul
post #202 of 463 Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Paul,

I just sent you a PM.

Ron Bartyczak
post #203 of 463 Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Replied PM.

Many, many thanks. Placed an order already and will try a refurb unit. If satisfied I will likely buy another as well from same source (third in your other source listing).

Paul
post #204 of 463 Old 08-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH37 View Post

I know I'm repeating what was already posted but I can confirm that the ST3160022A (160 GB) did work in my XS32 and I have full use of the 160 GB.

After completing the swap listed above the XS32 seemed to work fine for about 3 weeks. After installing the new HDD I had been able to record copy write protected material to the HDD but was unable to transfer it to the DVD-R (exactly as it's supposed to work). Recently, the unit will not allow me to place copy write content on the HDD.

I am not trying to do anything fancy just store some movies on the HDD until I get a chance to watch them. I can't even be sure that this new problem has anything to to with the swap and could be totally unrelated.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?

To sum it up my unit no longer stores protected material on the HDD.
post #205 of 463 Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM

HH37,

From what I understand, you can't write copy protected material to the HDD. I think it can only be written while the XS32 is designating it as copy protected during the write. Once it is copy protected on the HDD, it can only be written to RAM. Then you can't write it from RAM back to HDD because it is already copy protected on the RAM. Clear as mud?

On another note, has a Seagate ST3160022ACE been successfully swapped to the XS32 with all 160GB usable? (Not ST3160022A)
post #206 of 463 Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 PM

Tape Be Gone,

I just "won" a "factory sealed - refurbished" Seagate ST3160022ACE on eBay -- $32.72 incl shipping. I plan to swap my Maxtor 80GB drive for the Seagate 160GB shortly after it arrives. So I will post my findings as soon as I get it installed an tested.

Since this drive has been used on another XS DVD-HDD recorder and the only difference seems to be that ST3160022ACE is designated as Consumer
Electronics (hence, the 'CE' that is added to the ST3160022A model number).

By the way, I just swapped the original DVD Burner with an LG-GSA6147B. I have been delighted with new drive. It loads much faster, seems to format and write to the DVD -RW much faster and is much less finicky about the brand and speed of disks I can use. I have some Imation DVD -RW 4X and HP DVD -R 16X that the original DVD burner never recognized that the new burner uses with no problem. (Note: I still haven't tried playing a CD but other posts say the new burner won't play them. In my opinion, that is no great loss.)

Ron Bartyczak
post #207 of 463 Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeBeGone View Post

HH37,

On another note, has a Seagate ST3160022ACE been successfully swapped to the XS32 with all 160GB usable? (Not ST3160022A)

You are correct I have successfully installed the ST3160022ACE (Not the ST3160022A as previously listed) with all 160GB capable of being used.
post #208 of 463 Old 08-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeBeGone View Post

HH37,

From what I understand, you can't write copy protected material to the HDD. I think it can only be written while the XS32 is designating it as copy protected during the write. Once it is copy protected on the HDD, it can only be written to RAM. Then you can't write it from RAM back to HDD because it is already copy protected on the RAM. Clear as mud?

I know this is probably the wrong forum to ask but does anyone know where to get a remote for the XS32 for less then the 160GB drive costs? The remotes go for around $40-$45 on E-bay.

As for my problems with copy protected material I do not think it has anything to do with the new drive. I think it has something to do with either Dish Network or the premium channels I subscribe to.

Here's how it used to work:

1. I'd record a content protected movie from Dish network onto my Dish PVR.
2. I'd play it back (from the PVR) while recording it to the HDD on my XS32.
3. The movie would now be stored on the HDD of my XS32 with the copy never symbol next to it.

How it works now:

I repeat steps 1 and 2 from above.

Approx 2-3 minutes into the recording process the XS32 pauses the recording and I get a message that states the source content is protected.

However, I can record the exact same movie onto the XS32's HDD if I set up the XS32 to record while the movie is being broadcast (using the timer and being on the proper channel or hitting record as the movie starts.

Therefore, I believe that either Dish Network or the Premium channels have added something to their signal. Whatever has been done now prevents me from playing (protected material) from the Dish HDD and recording it on the XS32 HDD. I now have to record the movie as it's being telecast.

Anyway, the ST3160022ACE appears to be working fine with full use of all 160GB. It functioned the same as the old drive for about 3 weeks before I ran into this snag which appears to be unrelated to the drive swap.
post #209 of 463 Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH37 View Post

You are correct I have successfully installed the ST3160022ACE (Not the ST3160022A as previously listed) with all 160GB capable of being used.

HH37,

I am pleased to hear that the hard drive you swapped was an ST3160022ACE rather than the ST3160022A and had no issues formatting to the full 160GB. The latter drive is already listed in the first post as a compatible drive for the RD-XS32. The 'ACE' has not, as yet, received that distinction. As I could find no new or refurbished ST3160022A drives available (at a reasonable price), I checked the Seagate website to check the differences between the 'A' and the 'ACE'. As there appeared to be none, I bought the 'ACE'.

Again, thanks for posting your success with the 'ACE' drive.

Ron Bartyczak
post #210 of 463 Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbartyczak View Post

HH37,

I am pleased to hear that the hard drive you swapped was an ST3160022ACE rather than the ST3160022A and had no issues formatting to the full 160GB.

I am as well as the drive I ordered last week from Geeks.com just arrived. It is marked ST3160022ACE also. Will do the install tomorrow first thing.

Am busy burning off some of what I want from the old drive but it is still very full. I will likely store the original for awhile and switch it back in down the road. If I still want the content at that time, I'll burn more seriously.

Thanks again Ron for the info.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page