anyone have a DMR EZ27? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 190 Old 04-30-2007, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of buying one soon; any opinion?
If I sure a Cable Box what do I gain with the digital tuner?
How did your DL record?
do US EZ27s play Divx?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 190 Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM

I'll be receiving one this Weds. I'll let you know how it is, in comparison to the Panasonic DMR-ES46V that I currently have.
post #3 of 190 Old 05-04-2007, 01:24 AM

I received the Panny DMR-EZ27 Wednesday order online from Wally World. I have returned 2 LG's (overheated) 2 Phillips (Tuner channel drop out) 2 Samsung AR-650. (5.1 audio cuts out on CBS) My system , Pioneer VXS-914 AV 6.1 receiver, Sony 34 CRT BR970 HDTV.
. Now I have to wait for the Prime Time shows (Network OFF AIR) to test the 5.1 audio. I recorded 2 CBS 1hr shows and 1 ABC 1hr show. The Picture was perfect and the 5.1 sound was great. Now I am ready to playback the RW I just recorded. I CANNOT believe my bad luck. (Playback only)Both CBS shows 5.1 sound I could hear background sounds and music only, no center channel voices. Commercials in 2ch, no problem, just 5.1 sound. So now I playback the ABC show. NO PROBLEM with the 5.1 sound. I spoke with the Panny Tech today and went over the settings, I had the setup correct. The Tech. was puzzled that watching live the 5.1 sound was great, but no sound center channel sound on playback, and only problem on CBS. The AR-650 has 5.1 sound on CBS, but drops out a word sometimes, but sound is good on playback, GO FIGURE
I have a signal strength of 90 on CBS and all channels 90-95.
Watching the local OFF-AIR channels on the Sony HDTV the sound is great in 5.1. Do any of these Manfactures put quality in any DVD recorders. Do you have to by 6 or 8 units to find a good one? I am going to try a second Panny EZ27 , The Panny is the best of all the units, with all the extra features and a nice remote, the will control your TV, channel, sound, power, & inputs. I will try to find another EZ27 tomorrow.
post #4 of 190 Old 05-04-2007, 07:12 AM

I just ordered one this morning from Beach Camera (seemed to be the best price). I was planning on buying a Samsung tuner only but decided to go the extra mile for the DVD recorder as well. Hope I don't regret it.
post #5 of 190 Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 357
dals10
What about the audio performance when recording to a RAM disk. Panasonic recorders are very partial to recording on RAM. They offer other formats such as +/-RW for compatibility and marketing, but they don't seem to put much effort into making those formats work as well as they do for RAM. So do your tests on RAM first to get the best in performance the unit will offer.

Secondly, we have little information on the EZ27,47 because they are just coming out. I would like to comfirm what you have posted:
1) The EZ-27 passes the 5.1 audio through when viewed live from the tuner.
2) The EZ-27 records 5.1 audio for playback. Is this only through the HDMI output?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 190 Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

How does it handle the 16:9 flags?
post #7 of 190 Old 05-04-2007, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Also will the tuner pass through 720p/1080i and only downrez to 480 for recording?
post #8 of 190 Old 05-04-2007, 11:02 AM

I was to quick to judge my Panny recording 5.1 audio problem on CBS. I spoke to the Tech. at the Local Evansville, IN CBS station. They are having 5.1 audio DT /HD equipment problems and the equipment Manf. is working on the audio problem and hope to have repairs completed next week. To make the story short, No problem with the Panny. Don't waste you money on the LG, Philips or Samsung. The DRM-EZ-27 is by far the best. I haven't tried RAM, my local stores don't stock RAM dics.
post #9 of 190 Old 05-04-2007, 11:29 AM

Oh, good. Got confirmation of my order but no ship date yet.
post #10 of 190 Old 05-04-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

so no Ram Disc included the ES15 and ES25 came with one in the box
post #11 of 190 Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

dals10
What about the audio performance when recording to a RAM disk. Panasonic recorders are very partial to recording on RAM. They offer other formats such as +/-RW for compatibility and marketing, but they don't seem to put much effort into making those formats work as well as they do for RAM. So do your tests on RAM first to get the best in performance the unit will offer.

Secondly, we have little information on the EZ27,47 because they are just coming out. I would like to comfirm what you have posted:
1) The EZ-27 passes the 5.1 audio through when viewed live from the tuner.
2) The EZ-27 records 5.1 audio for playback. Is this only through the HDMI output?

dals10,
Can you advise on Kelson's question on 2).
Does the EZ-27 record 5.1 audio for playback, or just 2 channel stereo?
Thanks
post #12 of 190 Old 05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRomeo View Post

so no Ram Disc included the ES15 and ES25 came with one in the box

You are correct, no disc included.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- read it, learn it, live it.
post #13 of 190 Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Something different I noticed.

I can create chapters while watching a previous recording while it is recording something new. I could not do that on the ES20.

TimeSlip is different.

On the ES20 when I hit Time Slip it just started playing from the beginning and I used forward/reverse to move around.

On the EZ27 when I hit Time Slip a "0 Min" appears. I then use up / down to choose how many minutes to go forward or back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 190 Old 05-07-2007, 06:28 PM

Here are some of my initial impressions of the DMR-EZ27K. In answer to some of the questions asked earlier:

1) The recorder handles 16x9 flags fine using DVD-RAM, but not with any other media. Widescreen shows recorded perfectly on DVD-RAM and played back exactly the same as they were broadcast.

2) As far as I can tell, the recorder does not pass through 720p/1080i. My reasoning is that when I recorded an HD show using the highest quality XP rate, the playback was exactly the same as the picture when I was just passing it through the HDMI port. Therefore, since I know that the device records in SD, then that must mean that the signal being passed through is also SD. However, even if it does not pass through an HD signal, the upconversion capability when using the HDMI port is excellent. The picture is just a bit fuzzier than that which comes through my Samsung T451 HD tuner. With my current TV set, I don't notice the difference unless I do a rigorous back to back comparison.

3) The player plays DivX as well as XviD files. Fast fwd and reverse is pretty slow with these files though, only 5x speed, and you can't tell where you are timewise in the file since there is no counter.

4) The recorder takes a long time to turn on, over ten seconds from button push to an image appearing on the screen. It does have a quick-on setting, but that consumes 15W during standby as opposed to just 1W. And even with quick-on set, it still takes a couple seconds for a picture to appear.

5) Bummer that the recorder doesn't include a DVD-RAM disk. I got spoiled by the included disk and HDMI cable that came with my previous DMR-ES46v!

Overall impression, I'm pleased with the functionality of DVD-RAM recordings and the picture quality. The actual build quality of the device seems to be a little worse than that on the previous generation DMR-ES46v that I had, mainly in the feel of the buttons. You also have to flip down a panel to access buttons on the front of the player and for the SD card slot and 2nd video input.
post #15 of 190 Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

How come the 16X9 flags only show up with DVD-RAM?

The flag is software-based! Is this something that can be fixed by a firmware upgrade?
post #16 of 190 Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Any way to delete channels besides the setup menu?

This is bad beyond words.

post #17 of 190 Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Well this is odd.

Today when I use the + or - to surf some of the digital cable channels don't come in.

BUT...if I key them in directly they do.

post #18 of 190 Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Fixed.

Powered off and on, now I can surf.

Strange...

post #19 of 190 Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone notice the sound level is lower going thru the EZ27?

Noticed the same thing on my ES20.

Have to bump it up about 10 db on my AVR to match my tv.

post #20 of 190 Old 05-13-2007, 06:38 AM

Chasing playback beeping sounds.

When I use the chasing playback feature, it makes a beeping type sound every 4th then 11th second. This pattern repeats until the program finishes recording.

I'm using panasonic dvd-ram disks.

Any way to stop this? I use chasing playback frequently.

"Anyone notice the sound level is lower going thru the EZ27?" Yes, I have noticed the same thing.
post #21 of 190 Old 05-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

I have not noticed any beeps during chasing, has been much better than my ES20 which would get the audio out of sync half the time.

post #22 of 190 Old 05-13-2007, 09:11 PM

I returned the EZ27 to Wally World Thursday and Found it on BestBuy.Thinking I just got a lemon , thought I would try a second unit. I went to the Best Buy store Friday. The second unit is a lemon. Scheduled timer tuner recording (off air, antenna) Recorded playback of 5.1 audio programs on all networks, no voice audio, just background sound, from other speakers ( I have a 6.1 AV system). Listing live is OK , just not recording on Disc. I have tried 4 different DVD brand disc DVD-R & -RW. I can Manually push the record button and playback is normal 80% of the time on 5.1 programs, but still not recording 100% on manual record. This is the same problem I had with the first unit. Has anyone else had this problem? I am not going to get a third unit. I think they have a bad internal decoder. I called the Panny techs about the problems I had with the first unit & they were scratching their heads and told me I got a bad unit and try a second one.

A this point I would say this one is a LEMON
FEEDBACK
post #23 of 190 Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 PM

"The second unit is a lemon. Scheduled timer tuner recording (off air, antenna)"

Unfortunately I can't pick up any ota signals or I would test this for you. Mine is hooked up to comcast and so far has not had any audio problems on hi def 5.1 scheduled recordings

Like tomanystraydogs, I find the unit outputs lower sound levels by about 10db. So far, have not had any out of sync audio and video recordings like the samsung ar650 I used to own.

The only really annoying quirk is a weird repeating sound during chasing playback that lasts until the recording is finished. It's most noticable when the room is quiet and the volume is low.

The picture on xp/sp mode is outstanding on hd shows such as lost.
post #24 of 190 Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 AM

I'm also having this problem (no dialog recorded from 5.1 HD channels). I've called Panasonic, and the technician kept trying to blame my AVR, TV, etc., but I convinced him that it was a recording and not a playback issue. Last night, I scheduled and recorded "The Office" onto a DVD-RAM. The dialog channel worked OK, for 6 minutes, then it (dialog) went away. I played the DVD-RAM on other DVD-RAM compatible equipment, and the video was fine, but still no dialog. So, the dialog is definitely not being recorded. The Panasonic SR wanted more time to research this issue, and indicated he would call me back, later. Still waiting, but it's only been three hours. Hope this can be resolved without an RMA. I'll followup with whatever the Pany SR tells me..
post #25 of 190 Old 05-18-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Just for the heck of it, and because it's easy to do, try this:

1. Set clock manually.

2. Turn DST OFF.

Many Pannys are having problems, and some are very odd, but they're solved by doing this. So far, haven't heard of an audio problem being solved this way, but I'm curious to see.

More info here.

|
|
|
post #26 of 190 Old 05-18-2007, 11:41 AM

I've had mine for about a week, and as far as playback of movie DVD's, it's really a fine, fine player, equal to the Sammy 1080p7 (that I will be returning). I've always been a bit leary of the PQ quality of a recorder, but Panasonic seems to have stepped up with this unit.
I'm watching everything through a new Samsung t5054 50" Plasma, so I'm keen on the best playback. I think this unit will do just fine until I get a Blu-Ray/ HD DVD player in a year or so.
I'll report back if I have any audio drop-out issues
post #27 of 190 Old 05-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Well, I've spoken with Phil, Brian and Tania at Panasonic. Nice people, but this issue seems beyond tier-1, and allegedly, I'll should expect a call (today?) from a Panasonic engineer. This should be interesting. I do have data for this person though. Last night (Tuesday), I recorded 15-20 minutes of several TV shows from ABC/CBS/NBC. Forgot FOX, but I already have info on FOX from Sunday night.
The results are:
CBS - NCIS - NO Dialog Audio
ABC - Dancing with the Stars - Full Audio (but who cares?!?)
NBC - Law&Order Criminal Intent - No Dialog Audio
CBS - Jesse Stone - No Dialog Audio
NBC - Law&Order Special Victims - No Dialog Audio
Sunday Night on FOX - King-Hill/Simpons - No Dialog Audio.
In all recordings background music, special effects, etc. were recorded. Also, the CC was recorded.
Recordings were made straight from RF signal, and not processed through a STB. The provider is Comcast. Recordings represent a mix of timer recordings and direct REC recordings. Also, the recorder clock has been set to manual.
The recordings were made in SP mode. In fact, the video looks great.
I have an open case number with Panasonic, and I plan to call later this afternoon, to get a follow-up.
In my opinion, the entire EZ-17/27/37/47 line of recorders has a problematic audio bug, but no real cause has been discovered.
I have an RMA for my EZ-27K, but truthfully, I like the unit and would prefer to get this bug resolved. Anyone figured this out..
post #28 of 190 Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNova View Post

I think the reason DWTS had dialog is because that show is mixed with dialog on the L&R channels as well as the center channel. Most shows have dialog on center only.

post #29 of 190 Old 05-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNova View Post

Well, I've spoken with Phil, Brian and Tania at Panasonic. Nice people, but this issue seems beyond tier-1, and allegedly, I'll should expect a call (today?) from a Panasonic engineer. This should be interesting. I do have data for this person though. Last night (Tuesday), I recorded 15-20 minutes of several TV shows from ABC/CBS/NBC. Forgot FOX, but I already have info on FOX from Sunday night.
The results are:
CBS - NCIS - NO Dialog Audio
NBC - Law&Order Criminal Intent - No Dialog Audio
CBS - Jesse Stone - No Dialog Audio
NBC - Law&Order Special Victims - No Dialog Audio
Sunday Night on FOX - King-Hill/Simpons - No Dialog Audio.
In all recordings background music, special effects, etc. were recorded. Also, the CC was recorded.
Recordings were made straight from RF signal, and not processed through a STB. The provider is Comcast. Recordings represent a mix of timer recordings and direct REC recordings. Also, the recorder clock has been set to manual.
The recordings were made in SP mode. In fact, the video looks great.
I have an open case number with Panasonic, and I plan to call later this afternoon, to get a follow-up.
In my opinion, the entire EZ-17/27/37/47 line of recorders has a problematic audio bug, but no real cause has been discovered.
I have an RMA for my EZ-27K, but truthfully, I like the unit and would prefer to get this bug resolved. Anyone figured this out..

I have the EZ-17K with the same audio issues you describe. I am recording OTA and get low audio and no dialog on CBS, ABC and FOX. My NBC affiliate is not currently broadcasting a digital signal. I do all of my recordings with the timer.

I have heard that it has this problem trying to downmix the 5.1 DD track to 2.0. Recording a stereo show does seem to be fine in my case. Unfortunately, the primetime shows are mostly in 5.1 and exhibit this audio issue.

I was also having major problems with the timer missing better than half of my settings with no apparent reason. I already had clock set to manual since my PBS station is not broadcasting the time and had turned DST off after already having had minor problems with my other recorders at the time change. Powering off the unit did seem to rectify that problem. Panasonic recommends powering off the unit for at least 30 seconds when updating the firmware on their other recorders and that did seem to help.

I too would really like to get this unit working properly as it's OTA reception, PQ and recording quality is otherwise outstanding. In fact, I would like to buy a couple more for recording multiple channels OTA but am holding off due to this problem. I have not been in contact with Panasonic but I know others here have been and hope they can come up with a firmware update resolving this issue.

Anyone care to start another thread for this audio issue rather than having to follow the threads for the individual models that are slowly heading down this path anyway? Info for one model would surely benefit the others.

What me? HTPC!
post #30 of 190 Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 AM

Another day, another call to Panasonic Tech. Support. It's actually amazing how fast you get through to a Service Rep. Typically, my waits have been 1~5 minutes. Not bad.
Unfortunately, they (Panasonic) are no closer to providing an answer to this problem. An *engineer* was supposed to call me back, yesterday. And according to the SR, I should get a call today or tomorrow. Still waiting.
It may seem presumptuous, but I'm sure this problem isn't isolated to two people. I suggest other owners of EZ17/27/37/47s make test recordings, and determine if they also have this audio anomaly. If the issue exists then call Panasonic (1.800.211.7262), and open a trouble ticket. The more people call in, with this bug, the more attention it will receive from Panasonic.
When you call Panasonic, say DVD recorder, then press seven (7). That will route you to a SR.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page