Best Buy back to original OPEN BOX poilicy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
STEELERSRULE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Western PA
Posts: 2,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am not sure if this is an enigma, or the BONEHEADS at Best Buy realized their GAFFE, but they seem to have gone back to the way OPEN BOX items should be sold.

Remember over last summer 2006(I think, it may have been sooner) Best Buy went to the policy of charging FULL PRICE on an Open Box item, but you got a "nice " BB gift card towards a future pourchase.

Whoopty F'ing Do!! Not only am I now paying full price for something that has been used to death most likely(not always, but on TV's, ABSOLUTELY), but I get a Gift card for a future purchase.

Managers, or salespeople, would not place the gift card price towards the OB buy to lower the price. Drop Dead!

No thanks. I stop getting ANY Open Box buys at Best Buy, and it appears that others did the same. Got them at Circuit City, or elsewhere. They didn't have their heads up their asses at other places(talking about corporate).

Well over the last week(at least near me in NW Pennsylvania, and NW Ohio) the Best Buys have GONE BACK to the original way of doing things.

Lowering the price on Open items, period. None of this Gift card crap.

Seems to me that BB wasn't selling anything on their OB items here or anywhere due to that policy change.

Now that they have gone back, I am hoping it will stay that way.

Especially if they do that additional 30% off Open box(printable coupon from website usualyy) items like they used to do over the last few summers before the dumb policy change.

Anyone else notice this in there area?

I hope it is back to stay, but who knows.
STEELERSRULE is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree that open box equipment should be discounted, but I dunno... There doesn't seem to be any deterrent for people to "try out" merchandise for free by buying and returning it, so the stores get stuck with stock that they have to sell at a lower price. The result is they loose money and must therefore raise their margins to compensate, and that hurts the rest of us.

Perhaps they should impose a chainwide limit on the number of returns by an individual customer...
Sean Nelson is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
bobbyslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

I agree that open box equipment should be discounted, but I dunno... There doesn't seem to be any deterrent for people to "try out" merchandise for free by buying and returning it, so the stores get stuck with stock that they have to sell at a lower price. The result is they loose money and must therefore raise their margins to compensate, and that hurts the rest of us.

Perhaps they should impose a chainwide limit on the number of returns by an individual customer...


I completely disagree. People try things, true, but also sometimes return defective units. Best Buy has put for sale every thing I've returned that was defective. On top of that they've tried to sell me as new things that were clearly open boxes. It was pretty stupid of them when they tried to do that with my projector, which has a lamp counter and is very easy to tell when it's been used.

Even with everything that I return, I still spend way too much money at that store, and I feel like they should be kissing my A there. Not to mention that so many times I've bought things at random sales, and later if returned even with open box discounts they could still charge more than what I paid for it.

If anything, they should stop charging restocking fees for the things they do. Digital cameras for instance are one of the hardest things to buy without trying, and I think it's ridiculous that they won't accept returns without a fee. That's why the last couple of cameras I bought I got from Staples or Office Depot - they don't charge for returns.
bobbyslav is offline  
post #4 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
 
slprp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I am not sure if this is an enigma, or the BONEHEADS at Best Buy realized their GAFFE, but they seem to have gone back to the way OPEN BOX items should be sold.

Remember over last summer 2006(I think, it may have been sooner) Best Buy went to the policy of charging FULL PRICE on an Open Box item, but you got a "nice " BB gift card towards a future pourchase.

Whoopty F'ing Do!! Not only am I now paying full price for something that has been used to death most likely(not always, but on TV's, ABSOLUTELY), but I get a Gift card for a future purchase.

Managers, or salespeople, would not place the gift card price towards the OB buy to lower the price. Drop Dead!

No thanks. I stop getting ANY Open Box buys at Best Buy, and it appears that others did the same. Got them at Circuit City, or elsewhere. They didn't have their heads up their asses at other places(talking about corporate).

Well over the last week(at least near me in NW Pennsylvania, and NW Ohio) the Best Buys have GONE BACK to the original way of doing things.

Lowering the price on Open items, period. None of this Gift card crap.

Seems to me that BB wasn't selling anything on their OB items here or anywhere due to that policy change.

Now that they have gone back, I am hoping it will stay that way.

Especially if they do that additional 30% off Open box(printable coupon from website usualyy) items like they used to do over the last few summers before the dumb policy change.

Anyone else notice this in there area?

I hope it is back to stay, but who knows.

It is quite possible that this is being done only in certain BB stores.
I was in a store last night here in NYC and I saw the same old "gift card" policy, which I agree......SUCKS!
Additionally, the Panny DMR-ES15 is back up to $139.99!......yet, they have no stock! This makes no sense whatsoever! Why should the price increase?
It is discontinued and is not in any big demand (unlike the HDD variety units)!
BB=BIG BOZOS!!
slprp1 is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Roger Lococco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Jamaica,Queens
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
speaking of stupid Busted Buy policies,have they started asking for your phone # whenever you buy anything there now?it happened when I bought an antenna amplifier,and weeks later,a dvd.I asked the cashier why,she said"we need the phone # just in case it's defective and you want to return it."that was bs,because when I did return it,they didn't ask for it.this was the BB in Elmhurst,Queens.
Roger Lococco is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

People try things, true, but also sometimes return defective units.

Probably impossible to find out, but I'd be really curious to know what the ratio of "this is broken" vs. "think I might be able to find something better" types of returns is.
Sean Nelson is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jmscott42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

I completely disagree. People try things, true, but also sometimes return defective units. Best Buy has put for sale every thing I've returned that was defective. On top of that they've tried to sell me as new things that were clearly open boxes. It was pretty stupid of them when they tried to do that with my projector, which has a lamp counter and is very easy to tell when it's been used.

Even with everything that I return, I still spend way too much money at that store, and I feel like they should be kissing my A there. Not to mention that so many times I've bought things at random sales, and later if returned even with open box discounts they could still charge more than what I paid for it.

If anything, they should stop charging restocking fees for the things they do. Digital cameras for instance are one of the hardest things to buy without trying, and I think it's ridiculous that they won't accept returns without a fee. That's why the last couple of cameras I bought I got from Staples or Office Depot - they don't charge for returns.

I have to agree; my dad bought a Yamaha amp (Fairly high end) from BB a few months back and it died within about 2-3 days. We took it back, got a new one (higher end model, special ordered, definitely new), and when we went back to pick up the newer one, we saw what was pretty certainly the old dead amp, back out in box, without even an open box sign! It had Best Buy tape holding it shut and everything. (he had bought the last of this model they had in stock, according to the store inventory)

I think it's pretty scummy for these big stores (BB is by no means the only store that does this) to just put merchandise back out. Certainly many people return perfectly fine things as "Broken" just to get around answering questions (or restocking fees) but c'mon, at an ELECTRONICS store you would think they would at least have the ability to test before putting it out. When do they finally decide something really is broken? The 2nd return? The 5th?

I am really careful anymore with anything I buy from any chain store-- when I was picking up my spare XS35 I noticed they had 2 units left- one with a slightly bashed box, and another in a pristine box with a second set of tape, obviously returned. I took the bashed box, and it did indeed seem brand new...

And I also agree about the policies for other items. I can totally understand the fear that someone would buy a digital camera for a vacation or something and then just return it but at the same time it's nearly impossible to find a camera you like without trying. You can read lots of reviews but sometimes clunkers do make it through.
jmscott42 is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

They didn't have their heads up their asses at other places(talking about corporate).

This is part of Worst Buy training...I think you can get a promotion if you can lean backwards and do it as opposed to forward.

I stopped shopping at Worst Buy when they implemented this policy and calling me a devil customer. I didn't do the extreme things, but did go to the store just to buy sale / rebate items and not the overpriced accessories.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
sivartk is online now  
post #9 of 32 Old 05-02-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JeffWld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Best Buys in Canada still seem to have the reduced pricing on open box items. The only thing that has kept me from being a customer is the volume of open box items on the shelves. In a large number of cases, there is a higher quantity of open box stock for a particular model than there is new, unopened stock. In certain cases, the only available stock for weekly sale items was open box. It looked more like a garage sale than a retail outlet.
JeffWld is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 05-02-2007, 03:45 PM
 
slprp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscott42 View Post

I have to agree; my dad bought a Yamaha amp (Fairly high end) from BB a few months back and it died within about 2-3 days. We took it back, got a new one (higher end model, special ordered, definitely new), and when we went back to pick up the newer one, we saw what was pretty certainly the old dead amp, back out in box, without even an open box sign! It had Best Buy tape holding it shut and everything. (he had bought the last of this model they had in stock, according to the store inventory)

I think it's pretty scummy for these big stores (BB is by no means the only store that does this) to just put merchandise back out. Certainly many people return perfectly fine things as "Broken" just to get around answering questions (or restocking fees) but c'mon, at an ELECTRONICS store you would think they would at least have the ability to test before putting it out. When do they finally decide something really is broken? The 2nd return? The 5th?

I am really careful anymore with anything I buy from any chain store-- when I was picking up my spare XS35 I noticed they had 2 units left- one with a slightly bashed box, and another in a pristine box with a second set of tape, obviously returned. I took the bashed box, and it did indeed seem brand new...

And I also agree about the policies for other items. I can totally understand the fear that someone would buy a digital camera for a vacation or something and then just return it but at the same time it's nearly impossible to find a camera you like without trying. You can read lots of reviews but sometimes clunkers do make it through.

It seems to me that the persons working in the so-called "service" depts. at these BB stores are only capable of testing and (maybe) repairing computers. I don't think that they have a clue how these other items work and how to even test them!...... So......they put them back out on the shelves, going on the theory that the majority of so-called defective returns are nothing more than "user error" (which is true in many cases). The next unsuspecting customer gets to be the "tester outer". This could actually be more beneficial and effecient for them than hiring people who know what their doing! Additionally (a theory), this can also serve as a "tracking" system for them. If several items are returned by the same customers claiming that they are "defective", even though they are not, they can assume that this customer is simply buying, trying, and returning. Perhaps at a certain point, they can "blacklist" this customer and refuse to sell to them! When it comes to dvd recorders, I'm sure that alot of customers "loan" them out, so they can copy over stuff during the return period. How convenient! It's unfortunate that these "characters" create suspicion issues for the more ethical and honest customers!
I also believe that they may intentionally hide new inventory when they have alot of "open box" units! I have proven this (to some extent). I once was looking to buy an item that my local store was out of. They checked their inventory system computer and found 10 at another store. When I got to that store, I found 6 open boxes and there was no new inventory to be found (they normally keep new units on the shelves below or above the displays). I looked everywhere. Turns out that, when I asked a salesperson, he found them hidden away in the store's warehouse! I truly believe that their game was to persuade customers to buy the "open box" units by making the new ones dissapear!
It's sad (but true) that stores like BB (and online merchants) have had to resort to such tactics to survive in today's market. Also sad (but true) is that it's due in part to the unethical tactics of today's customers!......
It's a no win situation!
slprp1 is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 05-02-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I returned a TV to BB. I told them it wasn't broken (even though it was) just to see what kind of testing they would do...not an exchange a money back return.

They said before I got my money back that a "geek" would have to test it. He came over, opened the top of the box and instructed the CSR to give me my money back...nice test

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
sivartk is online now  
post #12 of 32 Old 05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
 
slprp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I returned a TV to BB. I told them it wasn't broken (even though it was) just to see what kind of testing they would do...not an exchange a money back return.

They said before I got my money back that a "geek" would have to test it. He came over, opened the top of the box and instructed the CSR to give me my money back...nice test

Here's definition #1 (from Webster's online dictionary) of "GEEK":
"a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake"

......sounds about right (at least where BB is concerned)!
slprp1 is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 05-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
bobbyslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wouldn't start shedding tears for Best Buy quite yet... Just read their earnings report for last year, their profits have jumped by I don't remember how much, where as Circuit City for instance has lost millions of dollars.

As far as their policies... it says "if you're not completely satisfied withint 30 days you can return", I never felt compelled to offer them an explanation when I wanted to return something if there was nothing wrong with it. Usually " I changed my mind" works just fine. I am pretty honest about why I am returning stuff, sometimes I just feel that something simply costs too much at the moment.

I find it ironic that back in the days when they did mark them down they'd only take off something like 5%, but if you return certain categories they charge 15...
bobbyslav is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Newbie
 
Zakira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One time I bought a nice Sony camcorder at BB. I changed my mind and returned it the next day, unopened, and I told them it was unopened. But they still proceeded to open the factory sealed box to confirm the content. What a waste that was.
Zakira is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Everyone has their own way of doing things. I personally research and agonize over any electronics purchase so by the time I am ready to spend the money I am sure what I am buying is the thing I want, so a return for other than defective merchandise is not in the cards. Of course, a large part of the research comes from reading the experiences of the people who buy to try and return.

After all the decision work I put in, when I buy I want it factory fresh. I rarely buy from BB or CC because of their habits of recycling returns as new stock. I especially don't like to buy anything from them that is pulled from their stock room -- I want to see the box to make sure it is a factory seal before I give them my debit card. I usually buy online from a select few Etailers that have horrible return policy except for replacement of defective merchadise. Their policies will completely turn off the casual shopper who wants to buy-try&return on a whim. As a result, they guarantee factory fresh items and I have never received an open-box return item.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #16 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Newbie
 
locates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakira View Post

One time I bought a nice Sony camcorder at BB. I changed my mind and returned it the next day, unopened, and I told them it was unopened. But they still proceeded to open the factory sealed box to confirm the content. What a waste that was.

yeh they do that to make sure ... kinda stupid tho .. if the box is sealed
locates is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
STEELERSRULE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Western PA
Posts: 2,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

As far as their policies... it says "if you're not completely satisfied withint 30 days you can return", I never felt compelled to offer them an explanation when I wanted to return something if there was nothing wrong with it. Usually " I changed my mind" works just fine. I am pretty honest about why I am returning stuff, sometimes I just feel that something simply costs too much at the moment.

Most companies operate this way, and there is nothing wrong with that type of return IMHO.

That is what it says on the receipt(most people don't read them or feel "Funny" about returning stuff for some reason), and therefore you can do just that. And this is true of most of the big stores like Sears, WalMart, Target, Fry's, Etc...

I have returned lots of things I just "wasn't satisfied with"/"changed my mind", with no problems.

32" LCD HDTV's, HDD DVD Recorders, Nintendo/Playstation Hardware, satellite systems, plus other stuff. You name it. And I got a 100% money back everytime, and had no regrets.

If the companies don't like it, don't offer it. The thing is though, they are all in competition with each other to the point where one company would say "Hey, Best Buy won't do that anymore, but we here at WalMart still do it because we know that is important to the customer, and we take care of our customers."

That is all it woudl take.

But that being said, it would not surprise me in the least if they ALL went to offering STORE CREDIT ONLY on returned items.

At least then they could be guranteed that the money for the returned item will be spent at their store.

That would not shock me at all, and it may be implemented sooner then we think.
STEELERSRULE is online now  
post #18 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You know, given what has been said here, and in other places for so long, it might be workable for these places to have a piece or two dedicated to giving consumers a trial period, or one month rental.

The real issue here is information. People buy it, take it home, and try it. If it doesn't work out for them, they return the item and try something else. If the equipment manufacturers, or the sales people were more informed and could answer our questions more thoroughly, we wouldn't be in a situation where something we bought won't do and it sure didn't say that in the brochure. If the product information was more complete, there would be less unsatisfied customers. On the other hand,maybe they figure taking the returns is cheaper than training the sales staff.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakira View Post

One time I bought a nice Sony camcorder at BB. I changed my mind and returned it the next day, unopened, and I told them it was unopened. But they still proceeded to open the factory sealed box to confirm the content. What a waste that was.

Well, I can totally understand why they did it. For all they knew you could have removed the contents, replaced them with sand, and repackaged it up. So yeah, a waste perhaps, but necessary.
Sean Nelson is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

You know, given what has been said here, and in other places for so long, it might be workable for these places to have a piece or two dedicated to giving consumers a trial period, or one month rental.

An affordable short-term rental for these products would be really nice. I've often used that technique when buying cars since "returning" the car if you're not happy with it really isn't an option. It could work well for the consumer for electronic equipment, although whether the cost and hassles would be worth it for the retailer is another question.
Sean Nelson is offline  
post #21 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The cost/benefit analysis might be quite lengthy and complex, and like you, I have no idea if it would work out in the favor of the seller. It can't be worse than labelling some of your "customers" as devils and actively attempting to keep them out of your store.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #22 of 32 Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Member
 
buster37862's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1) The Geek Morons are simply too lazy (and uninterested) to test returned items

2) All Open Box items are supposed to be properly priced and displayed for resale --- the floor staff are too lazy and/or dumb in most cases to do this correctly and consistently

3) A major problem is that many Open Box items are returned and resold over and over and over again. The best way to limit this would be for all Open Box items to be connected and tested at the time they are resold. Too often, the lazy staff just sell non-working junk that wasn't tested when it was originally (or last) returned. They just rely on selling the customer on the idea that they too have 14-30 days to return it as well. If I were buying an Open Box item, I would insist that someone power it up and test it BEFORE I carried it out the door.

JMHO
buster37862 is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 AM
Member
 
Fred999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster37862 View Post

1) The Geek Morons are simply too lazy (and uninterested) to test returned items

2) All Open Box items are supposed to be properly priced and displayed for resale --- the floor staff are too lazy and/or dumb in most cases to do this correctly and consistently

3) A major problem is that many Open Box items are returned and resold over and over and over again. The best way to limit this would be for all Open Box items to be connected and tested at the time they are resold. Too often, the lazy staff just sell non-working junk that wasn't tested when it was originally (or last) returned. They just rely on selling the customer on the idea that they too have 14-30 days to return it as well. If I were buying an Open Box item, I would insist that someone power it up and test it BEFORE I carried it out the door.

JMHO

They're hoping that one customer who buys that defective item won't need the function that doesn't work, and won't return the thing, thereby making a sale.

Bottom line, they've made money.
Fred999 is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 05-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Member
 
ooofest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Open box items were selling with additional gift card incentives for less-than-new prices in the NY metro area in the past few months.

I bought a store-display Denon AVR-2106 A/V receiver (i.e., not a returned item) but was also taking a look at Denon, Yamaha, etc. open box specials that the individual stores had for sale, clearly marked and discounted.

My unit's discount was much more steep than what the open box models were going for, but that's likely due to my unit being a slightly older model that was forgotten in a dark corner of their Magnolia showroom. Still, everything was discounted from brand new items concurrently for sale, even before the gift card incentives.

- ooofest
ooofest is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 05-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
jmystikcfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've never had a problem with BB and their return or open box policies. My Sony DVD player was a display item marked 50% off. When I got it home and it didn't work, they not only took it back, but exchanged it for a new in box unit!

A few weeks ago, I was also looking at an open box Yamaha receiver. I think the gift card works out to a 10% off the new price. I saw the gift card tag and acted dumb asking the guy on the floor what it was going to ring up as. He told me I could either pay the full retail and get the gift card, or take 15% off retail and no gift card. Long story short, I think the gift card is what they try to get everybody to take, but the 15% open box discount applies, you just have to ask for it. Either way, stopping at BB on my way home for a $99 Seagate 320gig external HDD. I'll have to check out what they've got open box.
jmystikcfl is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vidmaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Bourbonnais, IL
Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooofest View Post

Open box items were selling with additional gift card incentives for less-than-new prices in the NY metro area in the past few months.

I bought a store-display Denon AVR-2106 A/V receiver (i.e., not a returned item) but was also taking a look at Denon, Yamaha, etc. open box specials that the individual stores had for sale, clearly marked and discounted.

My unit's discount was much more steep than what the open box models were going for, but that's likely due to my unit being a slightly older model that was forgotten in a dark corner of their Magnolia showroom. Still, everything was discounted from brand new items concurrently for sale, even before the gift card incentives.

- ooofest

Same here in Illinois. I bought a store display Toshiba HD A1 (never even plugged in) for much less than the open box item and it came with a $20 gift card. Came with the power cord and remote (no cables or manual but I didn't need the cables and I can get the PDF manual online). All in all a pretty good deal for what was basically a brand new unit.

The problem with obsessions is that they are insatiable.
Vidmaven is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Member
 
a_day_without_me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in Best Buy about 5 weeks ago, they had a 50" Sony A2000 SXRD as an open box sale... I recall the offer was that you get a $500 gift card after paying full price (which at was $1900)...

__a day without me_
a_day_without_me is offline  
post #28 of 32 Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Member
 
ooofest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post

Same here in Illinois. I bought a store display Toshiba HD A1 (never even plugged in) for much less than the open box item and it came with a $20 gift card. Came with the power cord and remote (no cables or manual but I didn't need the cables and I can get the PDF manual online). All in all a pretty good deal for what was basically a brand new unit.

My experience matches - the final deal was astounding for a unit that had very little dealer use and was kept in excellent shape within an enclosure. It came with a new product warranty, to boot.

Sure: no remote, manual, speaker setup mic or original box with my deal, but another Best Buy gladly gave me an extra mic from their Parts drawer, Denon's online manual is easier to search than a paper version and my MX-700 universal remote covered the rest of my needs.

- ooofest
ooofest is offline  
post #29 of 32 Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
lordsmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As long as products are hidden away in boxes, with no way for you to actually test it before you buy it, there is nothing wrong with buying something and then returning it if it's not what you wanted. You also have problems with salespeople lying to you about what it does.

Charging a re-stock fee is why places like CompUSA are now going out of business. I would not step foot in their stores because of that 15% restock policy. They can go to hell.

Walmart is worse than Best Buy, when it comes to putting defects back on shelves for sale. I saw my returned Polaroid DVD recorder back on the shelf a few days after I returned it for being a POS. I've never seen Best Buy do that, luckily.

I'm not one to buy open-box items. Refurbs, maybe.

Blank DVD Media Review: http://digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
DVD Recorder Reviews: http://digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm
If you want my advice, PM me with a link to your post.
lordsmurf is offline  
post #30 of 32 Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
STEELERSRULE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Western PA
Posts: 2,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Same thing with Rex TV and Appliances.

WORST experience I ever had.

Stupid moron let me walk out the door over $30.

What a moron.

Best solution to that stupidity for anyone:

Spend your money elsewhere. That is how you hurt them.
STEELERSRULE is online now  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off