Panny DMR-EZ27 Audio problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2007, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned the EZ27 to Wally World Thursday and Found it on BestBuy. Thinking I just got a lemon , thought I would try a second unit. I went to the Best Buy store Friday. The second unit is a lemon. Scheduled timer tuner recording (off air, antenna) Recorded playback of 5.1 audio programs on all networks, no voice audio, just background sound, from other speakers ( I have a 6.1 AV system). Listing live is OK , just not recording on Disc. I have tried 4 different DVD brand disc DVD-R & -RW. I can Manually push the record button and playback is normal 80% of the time on 5.1 programs, but still not recording 100% on manual record. This is the same problem I had with the first unit. Has anyone else had this problem? I am not going to get a third unit. I think they have a bad internal decoder. I called the Panny techs about the problems I had with the first unit & they were scratching their heads and told me I got a bad unit and try a second one.

A this point I would say this one is a LEMON
FEEDBACK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dals10 View Post

I returned the EZ27 to Wally World Thursday and Found it on BestBuy. Thinking I just got a lemon , thought I would try a second unit. I went to the Best Buy store Friday. The second unit is a lemon. Scheduled timer tuner recording (off air, antenna) Recorded playback of 5.1 audio programs on all networks, no voice audio, just background sound, from other speakers ( I have a 6.1 AV system). Listing live is OK , just not recording on Disc. I have tried 4 different DVD brand disc DVD-R & -RW. I can Manually push the record button and playback is normal 80% of the time on 5.1 programs, but still not recording 100% on manual record. This is the same problem I had with the first unit. Has anyone else had this problem? I am not going to get a third unit. I think they have a bad internal decoder. I called the Panny techs about the problems I had with the first unit & they were scratching their heads and told me I got a bad unit and try a second one.

A this point I would say this one is a LEMON
FEEDBACK

How are you connecting to your AV system? Analog, SPDIF or HDMI?

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
Old 05-14-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

The Pioneer AV Receiver VXS D-914, the receiver has nothing to do with the Panny problem. The off air (antenna) signal going into the RF antenna connector of the Panny, and the 5.1 audio the voice is not being recorded on the DVD disc.when using scheduled recording and using manual recording 80% of the time 5.1 audio is recorded on the disc. The Sammy AR-650 sitting next to the Panny has no audio problems. If I put the disc recorded on the Panny that has no voice sound, it also does't playback on the Sammy, Inshort , The Panny didn't record the voice, just the background sound & music.I have had two Panny EZ27 and have the same Tuner off air (antenna) 5.1 audio problems. I have the Sammy and had the Phillips 3505 and it had no audio problems , but did tuner channels would not stay programed with the Phillips, Back it went to Wally World

I guess if you are not connecting to the RF connector using the tuner & outside antenna you might be OK ,
Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
See if your Panny has the "DST bug" that might explain this bizarre behavior...easy to test so nothing to lose?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I have been on the Phone with the Panny Tech. service 4 times within the last 8 days and the have called me back twice. They told to do everything I had already done, Checked all settings etc. The Panny Tech dept are going to give me feedback on any more EZ27 problems.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Explain, what is the "DST bug"?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dals10 View Post

Explain, what is the "DST bug"?

You can click the link in my Post #4 above for a fuller explanation...no use repeating it here?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here's a thread on alt.tv.tech.hdtv

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...0d15a50eec8e61

The last post claims that the bug happens when the recording starts on 2.0 audio during a commercial and then the audio switches to 5.1 for the program.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 AM

I am having the same problem with my EZ17K. Happened first on my Fox affiliate; last night on my CBS affiliate. Oddly, last night, the audio started off muted but got louder when the primetime shows started but varied from almost normal to muted, almost unlistenable throughout. Not just the dialog either but all of the sound. I only have mine hooked up to the analog stereo inputs on my TV; no surround sound.

This thing is capable of tuning in and recording a beautiful picture OTA. But between this audio problem and it missing half my scheduled recordings, it is turning out to be a waste.

What me? HTPC!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I received this E-mail today
(I sent this back, correct him that all channels the audio problem)
The problem is with all channels (Center Channels Audio) I have been reading on AWS form.com many other people having the same problem with the DMR-EZ27 and other Panasonic 2007 models

-------Original Message-------

Date: 05/29/2007 12:49:59 PM
To: David Lynch
Subject: Case # XXXXXX - DMREZ27 - No Dialogue (Center Channel Audio) Recorded

Mr. Lynch,

This is a courtesy follow-up.

Based upon the symptom you described and that it only impacts one
channel, we suspect the audio remix of the broadcast as the cause.

We have found that stations with a pseudo stereo (3-2.1) audio and not
2.0 (stereo) or 5.1 (surround) result in the audio being recorded
without dialogue.

We are currently investigating this.

Thank you for choosing Panasonic.

XXXXXXX
Technical Customer Service Lead
Voice of the Customer
Panasonic Customer Call Center
TEL: 757.382.4611
TOLL FREE: 888.458.2422, Option 3, x2120
FAX: 757.382.4605
Mon - Fri, 9 AM - 6 PM EST
Old 05-30-2007, 07:20 AM

Did anyone see the following post (from thread "anyone have a DMR EZ27?" at avsforum decimal com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=841450&page=2 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

(omitting url) This post suggests it's a problem with Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) setting...needs to be OFF for recording?

VSS might be only/best for playing back commercial DVDs with SS?

Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 AM

That's idiotic. I couldn't even post a url to a thread IN THIS FORUM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

All,

I am just the messenger on this one so please do not flood with PMs.

"I too have been in contact with Panasonic, though their engineers have not been able to duplicate the problem. They asked me the following questions:
1. Does this problem occur on all digital channels? If no, what specific conditions need to exist?
2. Does it regularly occur on one TV show? If so, what show on what network?
3. Is the problem occurring strictly with "Off The air" broadcasts (roof top antenna) or has it occurred from a CATV feed?

It sounds as if they are looking for a way to duplicate the problem so they can study it. Perhaps those of you who have experienced it can post some answer to the above questions."

The more specific info about particular conditions = speedier duplication of the problem and a quicker solution. Even small details may be a key.

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
Old 05-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Oddly, I did not recall this problem happening when I first hooked mine up. Once it started happening, I noticed happening on all digital channels. It seemed to be happening during the primetime network shows that I am assuming each had a DD 5.1 soundtrack. I, however, had low audio and sometimes but not always had no dialog. Commercials, syndicated shows before and after my shows (presumably with a 2.0 soundtrack were fine). Commercials during my shows were fine but when the show came back, low audio. There was no other rhyme or reason to it other than it started happening on all channels.

As an example I had recorded the first 3 episodes of DRIVE on Fox and first noticed this problem after recording the 4th (and last). At first I thought it was the Fox broadcast, as I never had a problem with ABC but then ABC started doing this. I then confirmed the problem on my CBS shows. I can't test NBC and the only CW show I have recorded with it was 1 episode of Everybody Hates Chris and it was fine (DD 5.1 soundtrack?)

This weekend I found where to turn off VSS and the live audio coming thru the tuner lept to life with a richer, fuller, more vibrant sound and wider soundstage. I have only been able to record ABC last night with good results but still far to early to tell if that was isolated or if the problem is gone. Now that I have turned off DST and have my timer recording more reliably, I have been experiencing frequent U99 errors all week.

I must admit Panasonic should have done a better job field testing. The only reason I have been willing to put up with it this long is the good reception, PQ and recording quality.

What me? HTPC!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniwizard View Post

All,

I am just the messenger on this one so please do not flood with PMs.

"I too have been in contact with Panasonic, though their engineers have not been able to duplicate the problem. They asked me the following questions:
1. Does this problem occur on all digital channels? If no, what specific conditions need to exist?
2. Does it regularly occur on one TV show? If so, what show on what network?
3. Is the problem occurring strictly with "Off The air" broadcasts (roof top antenna) or has it occurred from a CATV feed?

It sounds as if they are looking for a way to duplicate the problem so they can study it. Perhaps those of you who have experienced it can post some answer to the above questions."

The more specific info about particular conditions = speedier duplication of the problem and a quicker solution. Even small details may be a key.

To be clear:

1. It occurs on all digital channels as far as I can tell but only during primetime network shows. Haven't been able to do extensive record testing due to other reliability issues (timer and U99 errors).
2. Has not always happened regularly on one show. Somtimes Lost, Drive, George Lopez, etc. recorded fine, more often, lately, they did not.
3. Have only tested OTA. I am still using my old, analog DVD recorders for CATV. I bought this thing specifically to record digital broadcasts OTA.

What me? HTPC!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 AM

Been following this discussion. I have an EZ27 and I've never had this problem. I am receiving my off air programming from NYC area. I'm wondering, what media are you guys using? I'm using DVD-RAM. I believe that RAM may not be able to record the same audio formats as say DVD-R. This might help narrow the problem down.

As I said, I've not had the problem. My recording jas me recording to DVD-RAM and playing back on the same EZ27. Is this the same scenario all of you who are having the problem are doing?

The only dumb question are those we don't ask
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 AM

I am using Sony DVD-R discs. I have played back my recordings on other recorders and the audio issue was still there. I was hoping it was the Panasonic but it is being recorded to disc that way. I have never tried a DVD-RAM but maybe that could make a difference.

After having the audio issue 3 of 3 recordings last week, I turned off VSS and have had 2 successful recordings this week. I suggest others try this and see what results you have since Panasonic can't even seem to duplicate the problem. It may be the way stations are encoding the surround sound as Panasonic theorizes but it may be the VSS that is wreaking havoc on those particular encodings. Can't hurt to try.

What me? HTPC!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 PM

After reading the manual for my EZ27, "VSS" (Virtual Surround Sound) appears to be a way of obtaining psudo surround from a two channel recording. Since EZ27 does not record the 5.1 sound, this makes sense.

This is a playback feature so if it's causing the problem the test would be, to switch it on / off and see if the missing audio comes back. Can someone try this?

Often such processing could use phase cancellation, effectively cancelling out audio that is common to two channels. Since the networks can send audio in three different formats, this could explain why some have the problem and others (like me) do not. It would be nice if it's something so simple!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 AM

I just received a firmware update from Panasonic's Call Center that indeed fixes the problem. Anyone having this problem should contact Panasonic at 800 211-7262. They've been very responsive and although it took them 2 weeks, Panasonic has solved the problem!

I'd strongly suggest you ask them to verify that it's the update issued after 6/22/2007.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

The Filmware CD Update I received 3 weeks ago from Panasonic has fixed the 5.1 audio Dialog problem. I wanted to record 20 programs before reporting feedback. Now they need a fix for the slugish tuner. If need slowly change channels or it may lockup. I now change slow and haven't had any more problems.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 AM

Hey Guys,

I was curious if the update allows you to turn VSS or Auto Clock Set back on? I haven't had any issues for months after turning these and DST off. Have recorded at least 20 programs. While that has already adequately solved my problem, I was just curious if the patch restored functionality and was worth installing or just leaving my EZ17 alone? I am happy as is.

BTW, I have heard that digital tuners are slow to change channels. I scroll through them pretty slow and try to wait for it to change before moving on; but if I go just a little to fast, it stays tuned to the last channel it tuned in and doesn't continue changing! Oh well, at least it isn't locking up

What me? HTPC!