Just Sold My Panny 2004 DMR-E500H 400GB Unit for $999 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sold it online. I had bought the fairly cheap($109) 3 year extended warranty from Panny (had over 2 years left)This played a big factor in the sale.- I highly suggest you do this for your 2006 models. I actually have regrets but I just had too many units. For you other Panny hard drive owners, you have a very in demand unit at the current time.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Second - For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would pay that much dinero for that, or any, rack HDD unit.

They could buy a pretty high end HP pre-built HTPC with multiple USB2 and Firewire ports and then add unlimited external HDD space as needed with reasonably priced Western Digital MyBook Drives. I see HP Conroe 6400 systems with 2gb of 533 memory and 500gb of HDD space, LightScribe 16x DVD Multi-Drive that handles all types of media including DVD-RAM, with ATSC and NTSC Tuners and DVR functionality built in for less than $1000. Also includes wireless keyboard and mouse, and built in wireless networking at that price. HP claims you can record true Hi-Def OTA with this unit. I cannot speak to the veracity of this claim. They say it will require about 5gb per hour IIRC.

I will likely either build or buy a home HTPC for my next DVDR due to my dissatisfaction with some areas of all DVDR's I have seen to date. I really like the idea of the ability to plug and unplug unlimited drive space with the supreme ease of an external USB2 HDD. I could keep original copies of as many shows/games as I like right where they were originally recorded, and easily organize content by type on seperate HDDs. I am getting closer to making that leap every passing day.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Full- The guy that bought it already had one- he had to have another and could network LAN with two- it had that capability- one of the only ones to have this facet. Plus he loved the one that he had. BUT- I still say that the 2005-6 Panny HDDS are worth a lot and will continue to be- especially the ones that have DV and I think most do. Some people just prefer them over computers- vferrari, excuse me.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy View Post

Full- The guy that bought it already had one- he had to have another and could network LAN with two- it had that capability- one of the only ones to have this facet. Plus he loved the one that he had. BUT- I still say that the 2005-6 Panny HDDS are worth a lot and will continue to be- especially the ones that have DV and I think most do. Some people just prefer them over computers- vferrari, excuse me.

No offense taken, did you ever think these things would actually APPRECIATE in value? Good job.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #5 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post

No offense taken, did you ever think these things would actually APPRECIATE in value? Good job.

Not in my wildest dreams. But I do owe you for giving us the knowledge. And I mean a lot of us- you are special on this board.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

I can definitely understand some preferring rack units over PCs, just not at that pricepoint. I prefer a rack unit myself for simplicity's sake. If someone made a quality DVDR that did everything I want it to do for $400 I would jump on it. But from about $600 up I would have to opt for an HTPC.

I am glad it worked out well for you HG. : )
post #7 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy View Post

Full- BUT- I still say that the 2005-6 Panny HDDS are worth a lot and will continue to be- especially the ones that have DV and I think most do. Some people just prefer them over computers- vferrari, excuse me.

I hope you are right - I am trying to sell my E80H and so far have not gotten any bites at Videogon where it is listed for $250 plus shipping.

"The truth is out there!"
post #8 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

I hope you are right - I am trying to sell my E80H and so far have not gotten any bites at Videogon where it is listed for $250 plus shipping.

Try Ebay - there is not that many Panny HDD units last time I looked.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Unfortunately, The E-80 is not very valuable, unlike the E-100/E-500.
Personally, I think that the E-100 is the best overall unit ever made by Panny
(Japanese build quality, a better user interface, better editing......especially for playlists. and a decent size Hard drive).
The E-100 demanded a much higher price than the E-80 after it was discontinued.
The E-80 was available for $300.00 new, while at the same time, the E-100 was selling for as much as $800.00!
post #10 of 13 Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

(Japanese build quality, a better user interface, better editing......especially for playlists. and a decent size Hard drive).
The E-80 was available for $300.00 new, while at the same time, the E-100 was selling for as much as $800.00!

No doubt the E100 is superior to the E-80, but I think we are comparing the first(E-80) ever decent DVDR HDD -2003 with a different specie of fruit. I still think the dearth of HDDS makes the E-80 worth $150+. Not bad. BTW I stiil have my 4 year old E-80 and it has burned at least 1000 DVD-Rs and two hundred RAMs or more- not one hitch.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-18-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

I wish I could of found a E-80 for $300. I paid about $600 for mine. Heck I only paid $450 for my E-500. Now I really wish I had brought a 2nd one. I am still debating if I should sale the EH75V I brought a few months ago. It's still new in a sealed box and I really have no use for it.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu View Post

I wish I could of found a E-80 for $300. I paid about $600 for mine. Heck I only paid $450 for my E-500. Now I really wish I had brought a 2nd one. I am still debating if I should sale the EH75V I brought a few months ago. It's still new in a sealed box and I really have no use for it.

No brainer - sell it - sealed? In a heartbeat- you should get some nice scratch for that.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-19-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Chingu, I would wait & sell it after Circuit City gets rid of the ones that they are still selling off & then you really should be able to get top $ for it
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page