Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The choices for DVR's gets smaller. Message from Pioneer:
------------
Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

Yes the DVR-640HS has been discontinued. There is no replacement for this unit. Pioneer will no longer make DVR'S.

Thank You,

Lakesha
Customer Service Representative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Liked: 10

Do you suppose if we flooded these companies with mail they would change their minds?
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Liked: 11
Simply put, nope.....
post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

It might be more productive to flood Tivo with emails, as I think their US patent infringement law suits are the root of the problem since Pioneer is indeed making and selling DVDRs everywhere else, just not the USA.

Since Japan also uses NTSC and they have already developed units with digital tuners, the March 2007 deadline for shipping analog tuner equipped units obviously isn't the problem. Also, some Canadians have received discount coupons for new 2007 Pioneer DVDRs to be released in a few months, so Pioneer apparently plans to sell in Canada where you cannot get Tivo service...hmmm...seem like a pattern to you too?

Others have posted they think there just isn't a big enough market for DVDRs in the US because Pioneer (and presumably others) lost money on the DVDR market in the recent past as they reported, but if that were the case why sell in Canada which is a much smaller market? Unless it's because Canadians are willing to pay more and/or return fewer units, (maybe, but doubtful,) I think past losses have to be mostly attributed to design flaws, (like the TVGOS mess) and therefore maybe the lack of availability of premium DVDRs in the US has more to do with the Tivo litigation and/or DRM pressure from movie industry lobbyists.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not Tivo. It's stuff like this that is scaring away the HDD DVD recorder producers.:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10556273
post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Pioneer will no longer make DVR'S...

This is not new information, it was reported last year sometime. The DRD recorder product line was supposedly deeply in the red for the fiscal year so they dropped the line. That was what had been reported. Who knows if it is the real story.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

It's not Tivo. It's stuff like this that is scaring away the HDD DVD recorder producers.:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10556273

Nice looking DVR, but nonsense. I assume you're kidding right? It's not scaring anyone away especially when you can't even buy/rent one yet. Do you really think companies like Pioneer (who already have distribution in place for their product lines) would just give up on their new products because some new competition exists which doesn't even address all of the market, like satellite users etc?

Interesting unit though...getting closer right?
post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPewty View Post

Nice looking DVR, but nonsense. I assume you're kidding right? It's not scaring anyone away especially when you can't even buy/rent one yet. Do you really think companies like Pioneer (who already have distribution in place for their product lines) would just give up on their new products because some new competition exists which doesn't even address all of the market, like satellite users etc?

Interesting unit though...getting closer right?

Possibly.

Really my point was that the industry sees this stuff coming down the road. They then have to make a decision as to whether it makes sense to compete. And if it is being built for cable it will be built for satellite.

Couple this with the fact that Pioneer is in fact out of the DVD recorder business (in the USA). Along with JVC. The Pioneer announcement was made last year and was included in a few of the quarterly financial reports. I've posted the links to the financial statements a few times. And add to this the announcement last September that the Japanese have no plans to develop a HD DVD recorder for the US market. The comment made at that time was that people in the US record to DVRs.

Perhaps not scared. Maybe smart?

I for one am happy I made my HDD DVD recorder purchases earlier this year. Even if the Scientific Atlantic STB does make it to market it will have severe handcuffs. No editing, CP issues, etc. But it will be easy to operate and be fully integrated - which appeals to the mass market.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 04:07 PM

What alternatives are left for dvr?

An expensive Panasonic, a Toshiba that is getting so-so reviews, an RCA Walmart one that is cheap and is probably worth what you pay for it, TIVO with
a too expensive monthly rate unless you prepay for 3 years, and $20 a month for a dvr from my cable company?

I realize the digital tuner thing is complicating things, but either the producers or consumers don't get it.

I have a 3 year old Panny that may last another year. I hope the market sorts itself out by then.

Maybe we will have to buy from Canada--like some prescription drug buyers.

Panasonic seems to be raising their prices for newer models.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page