Quiet a Toshiba Fan Mod - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a $5.00 fix and will silence a Toshiba fan. And it is a pretty easy mod. All you need a Zalman Fan Mate 2 and some electrical tape. I picked up a few Fan Mate 2's for $3.99 each.

I like this mod for a few reasons. First you can slow the fan down to the point where it is virtually impossible to hear. But not to the point where it will trip a fan failure in the Toshiba. The full adjusting range that the Fan Mate 2 offers is within the tolerance range of the Toshiba. I also like the fact that this mod allows you to run the fan at full speed. Meaning when under a full load you can properly cool the recorder. And of course quiet the fan when the recorder is powered off. Other mods I have seen simply slow the fan down permanently. And finally I like the mod because it is 100% reversible. You can install the fan back to the original setup if the Fan Mate 2 is no longer desired.

I've installed one on my XS35, XS54 and XS55. No problems. The pic shows it installed on the XS54. I mounted the Fan Mate 2 on the side up front. It doesn't have to be mounted there. It was just where it will work the best for me.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM

This is one great mod...I am going to do the same to my SX-35 as soon as I pic up one of the Fan Mates.

One question, is your controller mounted outside the unit or inside. From your pic, it does look like it is mounted inside, or was this just a generic photo? At least the IDC connector is throwing me off....

I suppose I will find a way to mount it such that the controller is accessible.

Thanks for sharing the mod...the fan has actually been driving me nuts since I put it in my bedroom....
post #3 of 6 Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erf2u View Post

This is one great mod...I am going to do the same to my SX-35 as soon as I pic up one of the Fan Mates.

One question, is your controller mounted outside the unit or inside. From your pic, it does look like it is mounted inside, or was this just a generic photo? At least the IDC connector is throwing my off....

I suppose I will find a way to mount it such that the controller is accessible.

Thanks for sharing the mod...the fan has actually been driving my nuts since I put it in my bedroom....

Thanks. The fan control is on the outside of the recorder. The IDE cable you see is for an external HDD enclosure. This pic shows the fan control on a XS35.
LL
post #4 of 6 Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 PM

How much lower is the the consumption now? With the fan at a stock setting, it was pretty needy, even for a PC fan. Have you considered entirely replacing the fan with one of those fancy ones? (double or more ball bearings)?

Nice to see folks still modding to fix hardware flaws.

Blank DVD Media Review: http://digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
DVD Recorder Reviews: http://digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm
If you want my advice, PM me with a link to your post.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2007, 04:23 PM

hey nextoo, was your controller connectors the same as the fan connectors? or did you have to "splice" wires to make this work?

I got a Zalman Fan mate 2 and the cpnnectors were not compatible. The wire colors are also different. If you made any special wiring connections, can you post how you did them, or post the wiring diagram? The wire colors on my fan were (black, blue, red - in the same order (blue in the middle))

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-04-2007, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erf2u View Post

hey nextoo, was your controller connectors the same as the fan connectors? or did you have to "splice" wires to make this work?

I got a Zalman Fan mate 2 and the cpnnectors were not compatible. The wire colors are also different. If you made any special wiring connections, can you post how you did them, or post the wiring diagram? The wire colors on my fan were (black, blue, red - in the same order (blue in the middle))

Thanks!

There is a bit of dicing and splicing. You need to swap the fan connector with the Fan Mate 2 connector. The Fan Mate 2 connector with the red, black, and yellow leads gets swapped with the OEM fan connector.

Splice the wires like this:

Red - Red
Black - Black
Yellow - Blue

It works great. You'll be suprised.

Also these fans are made by Delta. They are stock off the shelf PC fans. Directron is selling a very similiar model for $1.00 or 8 for $10.00. The only real difference is the Directron replacement fan runs at 4800 RPM versus the OEM which runs at 4400 RPM. So it could be a bit louder. But with the Fan Mate 2 it doesn't matter.

http://www.directron.com/5cmfan.html
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page