Panasonic DMR-EZ47V: DVD/VCR recorder with ATSC (digitl), QAM(digitl) & Analog Tuners - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 634 Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Yep, works now, Thanks! I still think I'll give Panasonic a call tommorow and see what they know(I know, I'm a glutton for punishment)then I'll have them mail the CD. I really don't have luck with downloads. I'm sure dial-up doesnt help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 634 Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpreno View Post

I just searched for Panasonic Firmware Downloads and from that went to http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...edownloads/DVD etc; a list by machine then comes up.
Scroll down and i used the file 4410UJ(MAIN) -K110/J107(DRIVE) its 4.98MB and use Win XP2d to take the file after down loaded to a CD.
It appears to have fixed the time recording problems - still not yet 100% test but much improved.
Ken p.

Ken -

It was late when I tried to do different variations of your link but I had no success. But thru multiple searches I found the same stuff you did & started another thread. I guess it turns out they are the same links. I did not mean to step on your toes, so to speak, & apologize. I hope you're not offended by me starting a new thread.

Mike
post #363 of 634 Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. Looks like there are many (possibly) new firmware updates on this site.

RG
post #364 of 634 Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 AM

In my current setup (stb feeds the ez475), I am restricted to recording from line or channel 3/4- so whatever channel the stb is set to, is what I can record. As someone posted earlier, setting a weekly schedule doesn't make much sense as it only gets you the one channel the stb is currently set to, so if you forget to set the channel you want, you're sol. Is there no way around this?

Another thing that I wonder about on this system is the vcr/tv button. Toggling to vcr the picture is worse, set to tv the picture is perfect. My recordings to dvd appear to have the lesser quality of the vcr setting. Is there a way to get the better of the two in recordings?
post #365 of 634 Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless your on cable and the channels are "in the clear QAM" in other words able to tune them into your EZ-47's built in tuner, you will have to remember to set your STB to the correct channel to record. Some select DVDR's(I know one LG has this) have a device called a IR blaster. It sends out a signal to your STB to change the channel to what you want. It uses the remote control signal. No current Panasonics have this feature though.

Never record from channel 3/4, your best bet would be to record from line input using S-video first or if not available composite as a second choice.

In regards to the tv/vcr button I would personally turn off the RF modulator in the setup(assuming your TV has a video type input). I would only watch tv tuning directly on the TV's tuner, and not go through the EZ-47's tuner. The picture you will get going through the EZ's tuner will be only 480, possibly upconverted to HD if using HDMI or component. But it will still be basically 480 no matter if you are watching a HD channel. All DVDR's downrez the incoming signal to 480.
post #366 of 634 Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM

So if I make use of the rca jacks/svideo for audio/video input to my tv, and just dispense with the rf, then I should get a better picture? In that case I can probably also dispense with the rf connection from the stb to the ez47?

Is it also possible to get an IR blaster as an addon?

This is new to me, so forgive the constant questions, hopefully one day I can contribute some answers...
post #367 of 634 Old 01-22-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I would also dispense with the RF from the STB to the DVDR, unless there are any channels you can receive directly on the DVDR, not just CH3 or 4 output from your STB. You will get much better PQ, and stereo audio using S-video and separate audio cables.

No the IR blaster needs to be part of the DVDR. Older top of the line Panny's w/hdd's had the blaster, and the newer LG I've only read about seems to have it.
post #368 of 634 Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM

New unit. How do I change the dvd recording speed (time)-xp,sp,etc. I went this route -- functions to other functions to setup to disc to settings for recording. There are only two choices. They are EP-Extended play (6hr) and EP-Extended play (8 hr). I must be looking at something the wrong way. I did a test transfer (vhs to dvd) and everthing went fine except being able to choose speed. I useds a dvd-r for the test.
Thanks in advance for your input.
thanks
d
post #369 of 634 Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennybd View Post

New unit. How do I change the dvd recording speed (time)-xp,sp,etc. I went this route -- functions to other functions to setup to disc to settings for recording. There are only two choices. They are EP-Extended play (6hr) and EP-Extended play (8 hr). I must be looking at something the wrong way. I did a test transfer (vhs to dvd) and everthing went fine except being able to choose speed. I useds a dvd-r for the test.
Thanks in advance for your input.
thanks
d

First, look for the STATUS button (or the equilavent on the ez47) on the remote and click it to put the Status box onscreen. -you may need to click it twice, as there is a short box, followed by a long one. Now look for a button labeled REC MODE on the remote. Press it to toggle thru the rec modes, you'll see it change in the Status box, and on the front of the unit's display window.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #370 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Correct Westly-C, and I just wanted to add one thing. Dennybd, when you were in the functions menu and saw the 2 choices for 6 and 8hr, what that did was to set the EP or worst recording speed to either 6 or 8 hrs. I believe the default is 8hrs.
I usually leave it there, since 8hrs is not really that worse than 6hrs, but note the audio will be worse on 8hrs than 6hr speed.
post #371 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 AM

This "turn off modulator" has been discussed several times but where is it located on the menu structure? I could not find it.
post #372 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It's sure not easy to find. It took me 5 minutes looking in my es-30 manual to find it. It was under "removing interference". Like that makes sense!
I hope the EZ47 is the same, the only EZ machine I have is a EZ-17 which does not have the modulator. Panasonic is usually consistent on settings, so hopefully this will work for you.
On the ES-30 to change output channel:
"press FUNCTIONS button on the remote for more than 5 seconds"
You will get a menu, use the Ch Up Ch down to toggle between CH3, CH4, and OFF. I would always select OFF unless you have a very old TV with only RF input.

Hope this helps, and let me know it things are different on the EZ-47.
post #373 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The output setting information for the DMR-EZ47 is the same as that of the DMR-ES30. The information appears on page 77 of the DMR-EZ47 Operating Instructions.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #374 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

On the ES-30 to change output channel:
"press FUNCTIONS button on the remote for more than 5 seconds"
You will get a menu, use the Ch Up Ch down to toggle between CH3, CH4, and OFF. I would always select OFF unless you have a very old TV with only RF input.

What's the benefit in selecting OFF? The manual, DMR-ES45VS page 23, says "Set the RF ... to OFF when the DVD Video Recorder is connected to the TV via the Audio/Video cable". But why bother?
post #375 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are passing the RF thru the EZ-47, so you can record in the clear channels directly on the EZ's tuner, then outputting the RF to the TV, you do not want the RF modulator ever coming on, since it would interfere with the passthru RF.
If you never use the EZ's tuner, then just run your RF to the TV, and then no you will not need to worry about the RF modulator(note I would still turn it off to eliminate interference), but it would not be critical.
Also you could just use a 2 way splitter and have one RF go to the TV and one to the DVDR, but most feel the passthru incurs less loss than a 2 way splitter.
post #376 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:

If you never use the EZ's tuner, then just run your RF to the TV, and then no you will not need to worry about the RF modulator(note I would still turn it off to eliminate interference), but it would not be critical.
Also you could just use a 2 way splitter and have one RF go to the TV and one to the DVDR, but most feel the passthru incurs less loss than a 2 way splitter.

Interference would be less than critical. It'd be hard to even measure. That insulated coax connector is not going to act as an antenna and no signal will radiate from it to nearby coax. Perhaps you could say that there'd be a marginal savings in power or heat with modulation turned OFF, but that depends on if the modulation actually goes off or if the electrical connection is simply switched out. I think one purpose of the TV/VIDEO button is to toggle a switch between RF IN and MODULATOR OUT, but I don't know how the boxes are designed.

Perhaps being able to set RF output to OFF reduces the number of calls to Panasonic's help line, but it really doesn't do anything for people who have nothing connected to RF OUT. Actually, I could see myself scratching my head for a long time the day I needed RF OUT and couldn't get a signal on channel 3/4 because I forgot that one time I read page 23 in the manual and held a certain button down or 5 or more seconds.
post #377 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BqWUDUDj View Post

What's the benefit in selecting OFF? The manual, DMR-ES45VS page 23, says "Set the RF ... to OFF when the DVD Video Recorder is connected to the TV via the Audio/Video cable". But why bother?

The reason I personally like to switch the RF modulator off is because I always pass the OTA signal through the DVDR first, then on to the TV, and even if I have the TV/VIDEO switch set to TV(rf mod off) it automatically turns ON, whenever you PLAY a DVD or VHS. Then you have to turn it back off(or turn the DVDR off), when you want to watch TV.
You are correct that if you have nothing connected to the RF out of the DVDR it's really not that big a deal.
post #378 of 634 Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:

The reason I personally like to switch the RF modulator off is because I always pass the OTA signal through the DVDR first, then on to the TV, and even if I have the TV/VIDEO switch set to TV(rf mod off) it automatically turns ON, whenever you PLAY a DVD or VHS. Then you have to turn it back off(or turn the DVDR off), when you want to watch TV.
You are correct that if you have nothing connected to the RF out of the DVDR it's really not that big a deal.

The OFF setting could also be useful for picture-in-picture. Interestingly, the choice of 3/4 or OFF depends on several factors, the least of which is interference. There's PIP; expected behavior of VCRs and DVRs; HDMI, component, or s-video/video connectivity; and if you plan to plug anything in the RF-OUT connector in the first place. I would suggest that if you won't be using RF-OUT then you probably want to leave the modulation at 3/4 -- to plan for emergencies when a cable breaks and you do need RF. Macrovision also can rear its ugly head and require RF bypass around AVRs.
post #379 of 634 Old 01-25-2008, 09:45 PM

Mike, Message #362 - No prob, any thing that will help folk with this issue can only help
Ken p.
post #380 of 634 Old 01-26-2008, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have had this DMR-EZ47V for only a week now and have much to learn. (E.g., I'm still not clear on "Changing RF Output Channel" to OFF [manual, p. 77] and its effect my OTA-only setup.)

But . . . today, when the unit was powered off, I chanced to have my ear near it when I noticed I could hear a faint, steady noise coming from the unit. Not a buzz exactly; more like a tiny fan noise.

When I first was setting up the unit and connecting to the TV, I heard a louder (but still somewhat faint) buzzing sound from the turned-off DVDR. I thought I fixed that "accidentally" by fiddling with the coaxial connections and pushing in the HMDI connection a bit harder. Something I touched made that buzz go away. (Would a loose connection buzz?)

NOTE: I'm using the Quick Start setting. Could that make the unit emit a noise? Is that the sound of 14 watts draining away night and day?

Question: Do all these units have the faint noise I have described when the unit is powered off?

DawnSun
post #381 of 634 Old 01-26-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I think what you are hearing might be the cooling fan. It's possible that even when the unit is not on, and the quick start feature is on, the fan might run, to keep things cool. Because as you've noted the unit takes almost as much power off as on, with QS turned on.
I personally leave it off, since I don't like the idea of it being basically ON all the time, but I guess it's just a personal preference. Note you could try turning QS off, and see if the noise went away? It sure sounds like a fan, if you push on things and the sound changes. Especially the HDMI connector, which is mounted on the back, near the fan.

As far as the RF modulator off, if you never watch the DVDR through CH 3 or 4 on your TV, I would personally turn it off. Again it's more of a personal preference thing. I feed the RF through the DVDR to the TV and always use the TV's tuner to watch live TV, so I don't like the RF mod. coming on, and interfering with my TV reception when the DVDR is on.
post #382 of 634 Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 AM

I have a question regarding watching dvd's made on the "47". When I am copying vhs to dvd, watching the finalized dvd'd on the 47 is ok, When I try watching them on my computer, I get maybe a 1/2 dozen "pennant shape" artifacts while watching the DVD. It is pretty annoying. Changing the DVD viewing software I am using has no effect on getting rid of these annoying artifacts, Has anyone else noticed this issue and what are they?
Thanks
Ray
post #383 of 634 Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

I think what you are hearing might be the cooling fan. It's possible that even when the unit is not on, and the quick start feature is on, the fan might run, to keep things cool. Because as you've noted the unit takes almost as much power off as on, with QS turned on.
I personally leave it off, since I don't like the idea of it being basically ON all the time, but I guess it's just a personal preference. Note you could try turning QS off, and see if the noise went away? It sure sounds like a fan, if you push on things and the sound changes. Especially the HDMI connector, which is mounted on the back, near the fan.

As far as the RF modulator off, if you never watch the DVDR through CH 3 or 4 on your TV, I would personally turn it off. Again it's more of a personal preference thing. I feed the RF through the DVDR to the TV and always use the TV's tuner to watch live TV, so I don't like the RF mod. coming on, and interfering with my TV reception when the DVDR is on.

I have the same noise when my unit is shut off, even with the quickstart turned off, I still have that faint noise. Must be normal
post #384 of 634 Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Does the choice of the Quick Start "on" or "off" setting have any relation to longevity of electrolytic capacitors?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #385 of 634 Old 01-28-2008, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think?? it might, more current draw being on Quick Start=more usage of the cap. I would think this would be even more likely to shorten there life if they had no power on them when normally off, but they did have power on them if in QS mode. I personally never use QS, since I don't use RAM's, and don't feel the time savings is worth the extra current consumed by having the feature on.
I did a current draw test, and with the QS on, it consumes almost(2 watts less) as much electricity off, as ON. If that's the case then why not just leave it on all the time? Then it would really start faster.
post #386 of 634 Old 02-02-2008, 08:36 PM

I recently got the DMR-EZ47V and although I am happy with the unit, how it performs, picture quality, etc. I have found some little things that are just plain annoying. Can anyone tell me how to see the remaining time left on a DVD, or total time? Whenever we watch a DVD, the status message box at the top will tell me the current date/time, the chapter we're in, and the elapsed time. I cannot figure out how to see remaining or total time. That was very simple on our previous DVD player (not recorder). But it's completely eluding me here. Am I just dense?

Thanks,
Wayne
post #387 of 634 Old 02-03-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

1. No DVDR's(I'm aware of) have remaining time(I've tried probably 8 different mfg's). The only DVDR I know of with TOTAL time, is the Philips 3575(there may be more, but none that I'm aware of).
I REALLY like remaining time, this is one of the reasons I never play on my recorders. I just record to a -RW, then finalize, then play on my Sony DVD player which had all the times, including remaining. I think there must be a reason that remaining time cannot be displayed on a DVDR. I don't know why, but even Sony's which include this feature on there players, do not have it on there recorders. You're not dense, it's just the people who designed DVDR's, who thought this was not an important feature
post #388 of 634 Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 AM

Thanks, jjeff. I'm not thrilled with that, but at least I know the truth and can stop getting frustrated at trying to figure something out that just isn't there. Maybe someone who works for one of the manufacturers will be willing to divulge that secret someday (why they don't/can't display that info). Maybe when we get a better TV that has room for multiple inputs, I'll pick up an inexpensive player to do the same thing you're doing.
post #389 of 634 Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

You could just feed the player into one of the EZ47's line inputs, use the S-in's for best PQ. Then just select the correct line in on your EZ-47 and watch it through there. I believe all the Sony players have remaining time, and some can be had for <$60, although not even all players have the remaining time, I really had to look for that feature, and it's quite hard to figure out from the specs. if it has that feature. That's why I ended up buying then returning so many recorders/players.
Another reason I don't like playing on the Panny is lack of Zoom and go-to features, not to mention speed-play, which happily are all on my Sony player.
post #390 of 634 Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 332
DVD recorders were never designed to take the place of full featured players. They were designed to record and playback TV shows. People who buy a DVD recorder and expect it to take the place of several components including a dedicated player, are usually disappointed.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page