Panasonic DMR-EZ47V: DVD/VCR recorder with ATSC (digitl), QAM(digitl) & Analog Tuners - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 634 Old 07-01-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post

....The VCR will record analog programs in 16:9, but not digital programming....

I have many old TV VCR tapes that I recorded and I want to save them in DVD format. I don't currently have a 16:9 widescreen TV, but I will be getting one in probably a couple of years. Should I be copying my VCRs to a 16:9 format for future viewing, rather than the 4:3 format? I have the Pannasonic EZ475 VK.

Quote:

I watch for sales and have accumulated several hundred discs -- most at $1 or less each on sale at Best Buy or computer shows. I've never had a problem with Fuji or Panasonic discs and I suspect they are both made by the same company. I mainly record, watch, and then erase everything, but I have probably a hundred discs with TV recordings awaiting viewing or erasure. I use standard CD cases and I number them and the discs with a permanent marker and use Post-Its for content on the cases.

You are referring to DVD-RAM discs, correct? Good organization method. Thanks!

Quote:

I hope that this helps a bit.

It did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 634 Old 07-01-2007, 11:17 PM

Jhollister, you're welcome for any help I might have been. I only use DVD-RAM, but I have recorded a few shows onto DVD-R in case I wanted to watch them on any other DVD player or share with someone else. I quit using tapes a long time ago but I still have some that I might want to watch and I have an old JVC camcorder that I use sometimes, as well; and I want to be able to watch tapes in my media room' aka family or living room. I have stuff that I recorded off TV 15-20 years ago - unfortunately in EP mode. I sure regret ever using that mode. SP would hold up longer.
I haven't done anything with the VCR yet. From page 13 in the Operating Instructions, the VCR will only record analog stuff and in whatever format that it is in. I don't see that you can choose the format. RAM will record anything in the native format, including copy-once protected stuff, but not the no-copy protected stuff. I haven't experimented much with the unit, yet.
I just tried to record an HD digital OTA channel with the VCR and got a message that said digital channels cannot be recorded on the VCR. I only have HD channels set for OTA, but I manually entered one strong analog channel and recorded that ok.
The VCR video and audio can pass through the HDMI cable to the TV, simplifying cable connections. I do miss the remote control eject button, though.
I really wanted a DVD/HDD recorder with HD capability, but there's not much available. The only digital DVD/HDD recorders so far are a Polaroid and a Philips. Neither has DVD-RAM capability and I really watched the online threads about them. The Polaroid is terrible and it seems that the Philips is undergoing Beta testing by the first generation buyers. I really watched that before I bought the Panny. The biggest thing holding me back from the Philips was the lack of DVD-RAM support. I wanted one unit to replace several units: one Pan DMR-E50 and a Toshiba upconverting DVD/VCR player(not DVD-RAM capable). I have a Toshiba XS32 that does DVD-RAM and has an 80GB HDD. I've replaced the DVD-RAM drive in it successfully with an LG-4120B drive(an on-hand spare), losing only cartridge capability. I've had no trouble with the two Panny E50's, dating back to November '04.
I record a lot of TV and you wouldn't believe how many VCR's I used to set up with 9 and 10 hr tapes so that I wouldn't miss any TV while away for 2 to 4 weeks!
Sorry. I can really get to yakking.
post #33 of 634 Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 AM

I bought DMR-EZ47VK couple of weeks back and seem to have problem to get ATSC tuner to work with OTA. I am passing the OTA signal thro' Satellite receiver 322 and need to turn on and off the satellite receiver for the ATSC tuner to recognize the OTA signal. Is this a satellite receiver problem that it doesn't pass thro' OTA signal OR is the ATSC tuner of the DMR-EZ47VK??

Appreciate your opinion.
post #34 of 634 Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM

Just got this model and am very happy with the quality of the picture when recording on disc.

Recording from VCR tapes to disc I think the only choice is the 4:3 mode. I wouldn't do it any other way since I can't stand strectching. If you are worried about watching it on a 16:9 TV, you can always use the television to strectch the picture.

Here is my question...I don't have an antenna yet for OTA signals. When I tape the SD from my cable box it looks very good. However, when I put an HD channel on through the cable box, I can not get the image to fill the screen. I have played with the different settings in the screen menu and tried 16:9 480i, 16:9 480p, both with letterbox and pan & scan modes and the best I can get is a great picture with grey bars on the top and bottom. Any help on figuring out how to see and tape to disc the entire HD picture, using the cable box connected by a svideo cable, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #35 of 634 Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag123 View Post

I bought DMR-EZ47VK couple of weeks back and seem to have problem to get ATSC tuner to work with OTA. I am passing the OTA signal thro' Satellite receiver 322 and need to turn on and off the satellite receiver for the ATSC tuner to recognize the OTA signal. Is this a satellite receiver problem that it doesn't pass thro' OTA signal OR is the ATSC tuner of the DMR-EZ47VK??

Appreciate your opinion.

Connect the satellite receiver to the EZ47 through AV connections (S-video, etc.) and connect the OTA antenna directly to the EZ47 RF input. There is no need to pass the OTA signal through the receiver. Besides you will probably get a better picture by connecting the receiver through the AV inputs.

RG
post #36 of 634 Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 PM

In answer to snag123:

In my set-up, I connect the OTA antenna to the panny RF input and the Panny RF output to the satellite receiver(Be sure to turn the RF output channel to OFF. This procedure is explained in the troubleshooting guide). This way both units are connected to antenna at all times.
post #37 of 634 Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 AM

I bought this model last week...so far so good.

Question: what capacity DVD-RAM discs can you use? I see there is a 9.4GB from Panasonic (LM-AD240LU3)...is this compatible? What is the max record time with this size? Do you have to flip the disc?

Thanks.
post #38 of 634 Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 AM

Hope someone can help.

Here is my question...I don't have an antenna yet for OTA signals. When I tape the SD from my cable box it looks very good. However, when I put an HD channel on through the cable box, I can not get the image to fill the screen. I have played with the different settings in the screen menu and tried 16:9 480i, 16:9 480p, both with letterbox and pan & scan modes and the best I can get is a great picture with grey bars on the top and bottom. Any help on figuring out how to see and tape to disc the entire HD picture, using the cable box connected by a svideo cable, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #39 of 634 Old 07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabum View Post

I bought this model last week...so far so good.

Question: what capacity DVD-RAM discs can you use? I see there is a 9.4GB from Panasonic (LM-AD240LU3)...is this compatible? What is the max record time with this size? Do you have to flip the disc?

Thanks.

The 9.4 GB Panasonic DVD-RAM discs are double-sided. The max recording time is 4 hrs at SP mode, and yes you have to flip it over.

RG
post #40 of 634 Old 07-05-2007, 08:14 AM

Anybody know what kind of scaler/deinterlacer this machine uses??? (or any of the panny upconverting 1080i/p combo units use)???

Just curious whether or not to let my 1080p lcd w/Trident chip do all the work...
or let the panny do it.

TIA,
KBW
post #41 of 634 Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwillie64 View Post

Just curious whether or not to let my 1080p lcd w/Trident chip do all the work...
or let the panny do it.

That's probably best determined by experimentation -- connect through the HDMI and toggle the upconversion setting of the Panasonic for a given source and see how it looks. Many of us would be interested in the results of such a test. All fixed pixel HD displays have built-in line-doublers and their quality often distinguishes one set from another so a lot of attention is paid to them in the display design. I have often wondered whether the recent inclusion of HDMI upconversion in relatively cheap playback devices is little more than a marketing fad.

What is the make, model and resolution of your flat panel.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #42 of 634 Old 07-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This Unit Has A Lsi Logic Chip Inside,,, For Those Who Did Not Know.

MickinCT
post #43 of 634 Old 07-06-2007, 10:59 AM

Anybody?

Thanks
post #44 of 634 Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You mean you can actually hook your cable without the set top box and it will include the qam channels as well? In other words does it contain a cable card?
post #45 of 634 Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGirl View Post

Anybody?

Thanks

NYGirl,
Have you tried using DVD-RAM discs? They are the only ones that will record in 16:9 widescreen aspect. See page 13 in your Operating Instructions. You might also try connecting your cable to the Panny and then to the Cable STB (page 56). Important: Turn OFF the RF channel select (page 77) if you're just going to pass the cable signal through the Panny to the cable STB. You'll have to scan the digital channels and find the appropriate channels (HDTV) and record those numbers and subchannels, ie. 112.1 or something like that. You'll have to create your own channel guide conversion list for these channels, since they won't have the same numbers as those used by the cable company.
I've tried cable directly to the Panny and OTA antenna directly with decent results, but I've never tried to record the cable STB output, especially from s-video or other lower resolution outputs. I use the HDMI output to my TV, since I want the upconversion for DVD-Video. Remember that the panny doesn't record in High Definition -- it down-converts to SD for recording and up-converts on playback -- by HDMI only (page 61). Anyhow, if I record an OTA or clear cable HDTV program that is filling my widescreen to DVD-RAM, that's what I get on playback -- a very good recording, but not quite as good as a full HDTV recording. I've compared this with my Sony DVR which does record full HDTV.
I hope that this helps some or that someone else who knows more will jump in and correct me. Wyntrout
post #46 of 634 Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

NYGirl,
Important: Turn OFF the RF channel select (page 77) Wyntrout

You are saying that this unit will allow you to connect it to the RF in of an older TV and watch dvd, vcr or OTA programming?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #47 of 634 Old 07-09-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post

You are saying that this unit will allow you to connect it to the RF in of an older TV and watch dvd, vcr or OTA programming?

Yes, but not the best hook up. The EZ-47x can output an RF signal on channel 3 or 4 to older TV's. In the Operating Instructions this connection is shown on page 55. This is the most basic connection. "If your television does not have Audio/Video IN terminals... the use of AV connections is recommended for improved picture quality."
This guide in .pdf format can be downloaded from Panasonic's consumer products site.
This may be more detail than you need, but some may benefit:
Whatever cable/antenna cable is connected to your TV can be connected to the RF IN on the panny, and the RF out connected to your TV RF/Antenna Input on the TV and then pick a channel (3 or 4 whatever is used for output on the panny, page 77) to tune on your TV to pick up the RF signal. You then use the VCR/TV button (2nd from bottom lower right of Remote) to toggle between antenna/cable and VCR/DVD output. You may have to choose which DRIVE (VCR or DVD) with the 2nd down from upper left button on the remote. When the panny is off the antenna/cable signal passes through to the TV.
wyntrout
post #48 of 634 Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the input... the 75 is a bit out of my price range... and as of right now its between the panny w/o the IR Blaster and the LG RC w/o the s-video...

I plan to play it through my projector... I'm really tring to figure out the lesser of the two evils... any input...
Thanks again...
post #49 of 634 Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Could anyone owning the Panasonic EZ47VK check and see if the digital tuner is passing-thru a 5.1 dolby digital signal to an amplifier from an OTA signal using an antenna?
Secondly, if you record to disk does the disk play in 5.1?
post #50 of 634 Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about DD 5.1 passthrough via the digital audio outputs but I do know for a fact that the disc is recorded as Dolby Digital 2.0 only (consistent with all other Panasonic DVD recorders). Here is a link to the manual - check out the specs on page 93.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...REZ47V-MUL.PDF

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #51 of 634 Old 07-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Bought one this past weekend. Seems like the changing of channels takes a while. Anyone else find that true? The unit also scans analog signals as well as digital.

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #52 of 634 Old 07-25-2007, 04:49 PM

RE<<changing of channels takes a while>>

I find that most digital TV tuners take a bit longer to tune from one CH to another. I think it is probably a function of the buffer needing to fill before a signal starts streaming to you monitor.

Sure makes channel surfing a lot slower.

BobOnTampaBay
post #53 of 634 Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 PM

I was looking for a DVD recorder/VHS player and this seems like a good one, Thanks. If I'm not mistaken. DVD-RAM, ok, I've never had a reason to buy that format. Most of My tapes are of the pre-recorded type that almost never get played anymore since DVDs came out(Actually the tapes were played one or twice at most), Recording them on to DVD-RAM discs would be good, Unless I read something wrongly of course.
post #54 of 634 Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 AM

My DISH sat receiver offers a recording option where you select a program on the DISH programming guide and then the DISH receiver automatically turns the recording device (EZ47v in my case) on and off at the appropriate time in order to record the selected program. To make this option work you need to insert a 3 digit code in the DISH set up menu that lets the Dish receiver "talk" to the recording device. Anyone know the 3 digit set up code that works for the Panasonic DMR-EZ47v? I called DISH, but the guy I talked to said the model is too new...TIA, ron
post #55 of 634 Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I don't know if the newer Dish tuners are different, but on my 322, the only time you'd enter a 3-digit code is for using it with a VCR.

In order to use it with my Panny EH75VS recorder to do what you describe you go into the menu and find where it says "enable recording to external device" and turn that on. (on mine, the sequence to get to it is "System Setup" - "Installation" - "VCR Setup".)

Then, everytime you schedule a recording on the Dish tuner (either directly through the guide OR w/manual timers), you go into the timer menu, and in the box under "timer type", you set it to "ext".

Also, at least on mine, the tuner output to the recorder has to be set to 480i (mine always is, as it's SD-only).
post #56 of 634 Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 PM

R...Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it (left the 47v powered on, didn't change to 480i) and the tuner changed to the selected station at the appropriate time, but the 47v did not start recording. I've found that using "114" in the vcr set up code window will allow the Dish receiver to start recording on the 47v. It won't turn it off, but that's a minor issue...ron
post #57 of 634 Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 AM

My wife "just wants to record DTV with the VCR like she did analog with the old VCR". I was all set to get the Panny DMR-EZ37VK but after reading the manual it looks like the ATSC tuner will NOT talk to the VCR!! Can someone confirm this. Must you record DTV to DVD. It looks like you can then move it to tape if you want BUT that's absurd and I see NO VCRs with ATSC tuners for the little recording I do. (I have an ATSC tuner for my Laptop but that is tricky to set up and get working)
-Mike
post #58 of 634 Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I only use DVD-RAM, but I have recorded a few shows onto DVD-R in case I wanted to watch them on any other DVD player or share with someone else.

I really wanted a DVD/HDD recorder with HD capability, but there’s not much available. The only digital DVD/HDD recorders so far are a Polaroid and a Philips. Neither has DVD-RAM capability and I really watched the online threads about them. The Polaroid is terrible and it seems that the Philips is undergoing “Beta” testing by the first generation buyers. I really watched that before I bought the Panny. The biggest thing holding me back from the Philips was the lack of DVD-RAM support.

Why do you feel DVD-RAM support is so essential? Yes - it is the only way to record 16:9 with the Panny's. But this is the very reason I have avoided purchasding ANY Panny DVD recorder. One could only record in 4:3 unless you used a media (DVD-RAM) that was unsupported by nealry every other DVD recorder.

I believe that Sony recorders have always had a selectable 4:3 / 16:9 format for all media types. Also I believe some of them are able to record and pass the anamorphic flag - which is the real way to solve this issue.

The Phillips DVD/HDD recorder does allow selectable 16:9 / 4:3 viewing modes but does not pass the anamorphic flag (sigh).

I would think twice about converting my archive of VHS tapes to the DVD-RAM format if I intended to make them viewable on the widest range of other DVD players.
post #59 of 634 Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 AM

<<br />
<<br /> I mean Panny DRM-EZ47VK...
post #60 of 634 Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray50 View Post

<<br />
<<br /> I mean Panny DRM-EZ47VK...

Yes, as noted in these forums, that is true. The digital tuner can only record to the DVD.

What me? HTPC!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page