AVS Forum banner

Panasonic DMR-EZ47V: DVD/VCR recorder with ATSC (digitl), QAM(digitl) & Analog Tuners

179K views 639 replies 126 participants last post by  Zudrick007 
#1 ·
The Panasonic DMR-EZ47Vis a DVD/VCR recorder with a ATSC (digital) tuner as well as QAM("cable digital") and analog tuners (warehouse [Costco or Sam's Club] derivative model, DMR-EZ475ZK, is apparently the DMR-EZ47V with HDMI cable in the box).

I've read two good/okay reviews of the Panasonic DMR-EZ47V. They are notes 17 & 18 linked at: Wikipedia under DVD_recorder (Comparison of 2007 ATSC DVD recorders.) I read one bad review regarding the DMR-EZ47V 1080p up-converting (at Amazon under Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK Up-Converting 1080p DVD-Recorder/VCR Combo with Built In Tuner). Fastexas and I already discussed this in the Panasonic DMR-ES45VS Thread, but I'd like to start a separate thread that is more visible to everyone and to continue the feedback on this unit, which has an appealing price at the warehouses. Fastexas also gave this unit a thumbs-up, finding it to be an excellent DVD player through his Samsung t5054 plasma, as well as a "good" VCR for his old tapes. He also compared it to the Oppo 980 and felt they were comparable, however, he did not get to check the Panny's1080 up-converting.

Others say they would not get any first generation DVD recorders with an ATSC tuner.

#502 ·
Bought a refurbed 47 this week, and it arrived yesterday. Yeah, I know, I've read the thread since it was started, but with the EZ48 still a little too pricy, when I saw the 47 at a great price-$48 at ubid, I decided that, despite what I've read, it was worth getting one. I did purchase a 12 month extended warranty, so, if the worst happens, I'm covered-at least for a year after the Panny 3 month warranty ends.

Early comments-I love the picture quality of the Panasonic tuners. It makes the analog cable chanels from Comcast look so much better than the tv's tuner does.

Being Saturday, there wasn't much in the way of tv programming to try out a recording of the 12 clear QAM stations.

Gripe 1-the ch scan lists a bunch a digital chs that were labeled 'added' under the Channel Settings menu, but there's nothing on them. Imagine the disappointment at paging thru those, only to find a blank screen.

Tried a few overnight timer recordings, after hearing about the many problems that were reported. The first, set for midnight didn't record, but that's probably due to my not getting it turned off in time. I thought that it would start even after I turned it off, but now I know. No last minute timer settings just before the show is about to begin. The other 2 were back to back recordings, 1am & 2am, on different digital QAM channels. Both recorded just fine. A bit miffed that the local station doesn't broadcast Stargate SG-1 in actual hi-def. The letterboxed show appeared in the 4:8 square frame, ie, normal black bars at the top and bottom, with the letterboxed show inside that....resulting in smaller picture area than on normal SD channel. The second show, not in widescreen, filled out the 4:8 frame with bars only on the sides.

Day 1 with the EZ47, and no horror stories...yet. Da-da-dummmmm...

Stay tuned.

#503 ·
dndata-good luck with your EZ-48. My EZ-28 has locked up a few times but has always cleared by holding in the power button for 10 seconds. I sure like this option verses the luck I had with the EZ-17s where they would lock up never to work again.

Westly-With my EZ-17/27/28 DVDRs I was able to schedule a recording seconds before a event was to start and the instant I turned the machine off it would start. Not sure why yours didn't work that way. I'd try some more last minute schedule programming for some tests. As far as trying to guarantee the best success for timer recordings I personally would try and stay away from using weekly or daily events and if possible try and power up the machine at least once sometime before a scheduled event, the day of the event.

Use those tips and just pray you don't get a U99
Sure sounds like a great deal you got, for that price I would have been tempted myself for using it just for the digital tuner. I don't think a person can buy a digital QAM tuner for less that $100 so looking at it that way you couldn't go wrong

#504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/13943185

Bought a refurbed 47 this week, and it arrived yesterday. Yeah, I know, I've read the thread since it was started, but with the EZ48 still a little too pricy, when I saw the 47 at a great price-$48 at ubid. . .

Tried a few overnight timer recordings, after hearing about the many problems that were reported. The first, set for midnight didn't record, but that's probably due to my not getting it turned off in time. I thought that it would start even after I turned it off, but now I know. No last minute timer settings just before the show is about to begin.

What a deal!

The "midnight bug" has been discussed before. One way to avoid this is to schedule a midnight recording to begin at 11:59 p.m.

If the Panasonic is on and you're already into the set time for a scheduled recording that recording should start upon powering the machine off. Recently with one of my DMR-EZ17 models a scheduled recording didn't start at the time I thought I had set. I powered the machine on and visited the Schedule menu only to find I had set times for a.m. instead of p.m. I quickly changed the scheduled times to p.m. and powered the machine off. The EZ17 powered on and began recording at once.

#505 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/13944742

What a deal!

The "midnight bug" has been discussed before. One way to avoid this is to schedule a midnight recording to begin at 11:59 p.m.

Just to see what happens, I'm going to set it again for midnight tonight, and then we'll know what to expect from here on out..

And I was a bit premature about the clear QAM channels. My first comments were based on thumbing thru digi channels placed after the analog ch 62..the tuner goes from analog 62, directly to digi 62-1, and so on. There are about 10 sub channels there with nothing on, so I assumed they were all like that. A while ago, I decided to start at analog ch 3, and go backwards thru the tuner. I found about 20 channels, a handful of ppv or VOD preview chs, PBS' Spout , there were 2 different TNTs, both showing different programming than the analog version-same story with A&E, a couple of MTVs and a VH1 (YAWN), some movie chs, one running I Am Legend, the other a Bruce Willis flick. And finally the pot of gold, TCM.

Now here comes the rub, switched digital. Yeppers, after writing down the ch locations from all that scanning, I go back a couple of hours later, and most are gone, or in different ch slots.
It wasn't a shock as I was expecting that from reading many accounts here. As long as I can pick up TCM, I'll be satisfied.

#506 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/13944901

Now here comes the rub, switched digital. Yeppers, after writing down the ch locations from all that scanning, I go back a couple of hours later, and most are gone, or in different ch slots.
It wasn't a shock as I was expecting that from reading many accounts here. As long as I can pick up TCM, I'll be satisfied.

Yikes! Where are you located and what service do you have.

#507 ·
^^I'm on Comcast analog only. And I may have jumped the gun on this. Some of those movie channels were most likely VOD from In Demand. I was lucky to land on one near it's ending. After the credits finished, up came a lady from E! in 2 small thumbnails on a dark background, one a rectangle, the other a square, mentioning that this was Comcast In Demand and showing movie clips and previews. I can only guess that some of their In Demand channels turn on at the start of a movie, then go to those recorded feature segments when the movie ends...TCM has remained in it's ch position thankfully, as have the 3 MTV chs. Another ch was showing older films, but I couldn't tell if it was the West Coast feed of TCM, or a separate service-no corner logo. The TNT and A&E programs (which had their logos in the corner) must also have been VOD, and not alternative digital channels.

Sorry for the possible mis-information. It's just that I have to go slower that I'm used to when moving from digital ch to channel, when things disappeared from where I jotted down which chs had programming visible, I leap to the switched digital conclusion.

I really wish there was a way to automate the deleting of empty chs, after a preliminary scan. For instance, after the primary ch scan, having an option to further scan within the 1st scan results would really be kewl. That way, if anything did pop up on a previously empty sub channels, you could find if alot quicker.

#508 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/13946731

TCM has remained in it's ch position thankfully, as have the 3 MTV chs. Another ch was showing older films, but I couldn't tell if it was the West Coast feed of TCM, or a separate service-no corner logo. . .

I really wish there was a way to automate the deleting of empty chs, after a preliminary scan.

TCM announced plans to implement a second feed on May 1, 2006. This would have been a "west coast feed" designed to have prime-time viewing start at 8:00 p.m. on the west coast. This feed was never implemented.

The many "blank" subchannels you're finding are the scrambled digital channels that require the Comcast digital STB to unscramble and map to a variety of channel assignments for subscribers to the various tiers of Comcast's digital service. Our local Comcast service has these channels mapped out to about channel 950 through their digital STB. On one Panasonic DMR-EZ17 (that's connected to the Comcast coax without a STB) these scrambled signals are actually found in the hundreds of subchannels in the 72 to 135 channel range.

In addition to On Demand programming (locally found in the 100 range of subchannels) I found a variety of cable networks that switch to a different subchannel once I've moved to another subchannel. When I sampled this system I was seldom able to find the same cable networks again. With this system one may waste a great amount of time "surfing" only to find nothing interesting to watch. I gave up on this folly after an hour or so and haven't been back to try it again.

You are fortunate to have the TCM windfall. Our local Comcast service locates TCM on digital channel 501. My digital STB is always tuned to TCM. I have three Panasonics DVD recorders (two DMR-ES15 and one DMR-EZ17) and one Philips (DVDR3575H/37B) set up to record from TCM.

#509 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/13947194

In addition to On Demand programming (locally found in the 100 range of subchannels) I found a variety of cable networks that switch to a different subchannel once I've moved to another subchannel. When I sampled this system I was seldom able to find the same cable networks again. With this system one may waste a great amount of time "surfing" only to find nothing interesting to watch. I gave up on this folly after an hour or so and haven't been back to try it again.

Quite true, a huge waste of time. I didn't actually get to watch anything yesterday afternoon, cuz I was so curious as to what I might find.

#510 ·
Hi,

I just purchased a refurbised DMR-EZ47v and am wondering if it will work with a Panasonic DVD RAM disc 2~3x speed (4.7GB) ?

Also, does my DMR-EZ47v have to be turned on to take advantage of its tuners? I presently have Comcast cable plugged into my Panasonic Plasma TH42px6u 42" TV. (I'm asking because I don't see a difference in quality with the DMR-EZ47v turned on or off. Maybe I am missing a step.) I have both HDMI and Red-Yellow-White cables hooked up.

Thanks in advance.

#511 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihot /forum/post/13952052

Hi,

I just purchased a refurbised DMR-EZ47v and am wondering if it will work with a Panasonic DVD RAM disc 2~3x speed (4.7GB) ?

Also, does my DMR-EZ47v have to be turned on to take advantage of its tuners? I presently have Comcast cable plugged into my Panasonic Plasma TH42px6u 42" TV. (I'm asking because I don't see a difference in quality with the DMR-EZ47v turned on or off.

Yes, RAM discs 2-3x speed will work fine. And the ez47 will pass the cable signal on to the tv without the recorder needing to be on.

#512 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihot /forum/post/13952052

Hi,

Also, does my DMR-EZ47v have to be turned on to take advantage of its tuners? I presently have Comcast cable plugged into my Panasonic Plasma TH42px6u 42" TV. (I'm asking because I don't see a difference in quality with the DMR-EZ47v turned on or off. Maybe I am missing a step.) I have both HDMI and Red-Yellow-White cables hooked up.

Your Panasonic does have to be on to see channels that it tunes, but it doesn't appear that you have the proper setup yet.

I think the first sketch in this post might help... ignore the "STB" as it doesn't sound like you have one, and you're already connected to the TV with HDMI and Y/W/R RCA cables, which are correct.

#513 ·
Thanks Wajo for your link. Is the DMR-EZ47v considered a VCR/DVD combo ? (It has both DVDrecorder and VHS player). If it is, then your link states that its information is not for this combo. I quote from your link:

"This info should apply to all DVDRs but not to VCR/DVD combo units. The RF in/out on combo units works differently when the VCR is ON, so better to keep them out of the coax chain to your TV."

Oh, I forgot to mention that Comcast runs a Coax cable to my wall from which I connect my TV. In other words, I do not use a Comcast Cable box. I now plug this cable directly into my EZ47v's RFin and run another coax from EZ47v's cable out to my TV's RFin. I set my EX47v to "CABLE". On my TV settings - I select "HDMI".

You guys take time in spite of your busy schedule to give to the AVS community. I salute all the contributors!!

#514 ·
Hmm, does anyone have problems watching TV using Comcast Cable into EZ475v ? I may have to get a new EZ475v instead as my I am going to return my refurbished unit. The refurbised unit has a defect- when I view HD Channel 9-2 using Comcast cable, there is a line of noise on the top of the screen. When I view HD Channel 4-2 using Comcast cable, there is digital noise/distortion to the picture every 10 mins. I don’t have these problems when I connect Comcast cable directly to my TV.

#515 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihot /forum/post/13952653

Thanks Wajo for your link. Is the DMR-EZ47v considered a VCR/DVD combo ? (It has both DVDrecorder and VHS player). If it is, then your link states that its information is not for this combo. I quote from your link:

"This info should apply to all DVDRs but not to VCR/DVD combo units. The RF in/out on combo units works differently when the VCR is ON, so better to keep them out of the coax chain to your TV."

Thanks for pointing that out... I've got to change the note to be more specific about a combo. If it's the only device from wall to TV, then OK, etc.

#516 ·
Does anyone have problems watching TV using Comcast Cable into EZ475v ?

I purchased a refurbished unit and it seems to have a defect- when I view HD Channel 9-2 using Comcast cable, there is a thin line of noise on the top of the screen. When I view HD Channel 4-2 using Comcast cable, there is digital noise/distortion in the picture every few mins. I don't have these problems when I connect Comcast cable directly to my TV.

I may have to get a new EZ475v instead and return my refurbished unit.

#517 ·
Ihot,

If your Panasonic was refurbished by Panasonic it includes a 90 day warranty.

The corporate Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove Village IL handles warranty and out-of-warranty repairs in a prompt and efficient manner.

For Panasonic warranty service, call 1-800-211-7262 to obtain a RMA.

Panasonic also offers out-of-warranty flat-rate repairs for $130.00, including parts and labor and return shipping.

Recently updated information is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14451738

#518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihot /forum/post/13958491

Does anyone have problems watching TV using Comcast Cable into EZ475v ?

Until recently, I did exactly that. I was able to view and record local stations off Comcast with the cable directly connected to the EZ475v. The problems I encountered were more to do with poor signal from the Comcast cable, especially when the weather turned bad. The tuned channel would break up momentarily, or, if it was really cold, vanish altogether. I haven't seen the issues you mention unless your problem with channel 4-2 is related to signal strength.

By the way, since switching to FIOS, the signal to the DVDR has been solid; there haven't been any breakups in picture.

#521 ·
I have a PZ700U Panasonic TV, Panasonic HTIB (SC-PT1050), Scientific Atlantic 8300HD cable box, and the DMR-EZ47V VHS/DVD recorder.

I have the coax cable coming from the wall to the Scientific Atlantic 8300HD "in" to the cable "out" on the 8300HD to the DMZ EZ47V cable "in" to the DMZ EZ47V cable "out" to the PZ700U TV "in".

I have "red, yellow, white" cables from 8300HD video "out" to "red, yellow, white" INI1 on DMZ EZ47V.

I have component cables ( red, blue, green) from DMZ EZ47V (component out) to PZ700U TV.

Finally, I have RCA cables from DMZ-EZ47V to Panasonic HTIB.

I can see DVDs in 1080... TV upconverts I think, however, I could rearrange cable to use HDMI from DMZ EZ47V to PZ700U TV if need to.

So, everything is great EXCEPT when I view HD channels from cable box they have a black bar above and below and are not HD.

Think you may have answered this question before but I still am confused regarding settings.

I have played with RF output signal, inputs, aspects, HDMI, etc. no luck in getting the DMZ EZ47V to display HD channels in correct size and resolution.

THANKS!

P.S. I also have HDMI from Scientific Atlantic 8300HD to PZ700U TV and "optical out" from Scientific Atlantic 8300HD to "optical in" Panasonic HTIB

#522 ·
All your signals to your DMR are coming from the SA box, which letterboxes any signal from its analog outputs.

Try placing the DMR 1st on the coax, as shown in the 1st sketch in this post , then scan for channels in the DMR and see how many it trunes by itself. Keep your other connections for audio and separate lines to the TV, as well as the analog connection between SA box and DMR for rec. channels only the box can tune (scrambled and higher-numbered).

This setup makes all tuners independent and you can record one channel while watching another on from your box or TV.

THE ONLY BUG IN THIS MIGHT BE THAT YOUR DMR-EZ 47 IS A COMBO. Not sure how to make the coax in/out loop a passthru cuz when using VCR side, it prob. modulates the internal stuff to the TV. Maybe OK or might require a setting not to modulate, or a 2-way splitter might be last resort???

#523 ·
Wajo,

Thanks for the quick reply. I re-routed the coax cable as per page 56 of manual... and... I think the basic connection you linked me to in your post.

I scanned for channels.

The tuner seems to only go up to channel 135. My HD channels are in the 200s.

I also split the coax cable and directly connected it to DMZ-EZ47V... I got same result.

Think I will go back to old setup. I can get ALL the channels that way. I will record on non-hd channels and see if the TV will upconvert recorded DVD.

Is there a certain recordable DVD I should use? Can I record HBO non-HD channel?

-Thanks again.

#524 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlynda /forum/post/13985043

The tuner seems to only go up to channel 135. My HD channels are in the 200s.

I also split the coax cable and directly connected it to DMZ-EZ47V... I got same result.

Think I will go back to old setup. I can get ALL the channels that way. I will record on non-hd channels and see if the TV will upconvert recorded DVD.

Is there a certain recordable DVD I should use? Can I record HBO non-HD channel?

All DVDR digital tuners only go to 135, that's why you need the analog (S-Video or Composite) connection between the box output and a DMR input. When you want to record a channel only the box can tune, set the DMR to the input you connected to and record the signal from the box... the box will unscramble the channel or deliver one of its higher-numbered channels to the DMR for recording, as long as the program isn't copy-protected also.

Best discs locally are Verbatim, and online Taiyo Yuden from supermediastore.com or rima.com.

#526 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlynda /forum/post/13985233

OK... cool I get it now.

So, for me I set DMR EZ47V to INI1 and put the SA 8300HD on the channel I want to record.

I also read where starting the coax from the wall to the DMZ EZ47V will help "boost signal" to other components.

So, I will set it up like that.

You got it now except for the signal "boost"... don't think the E47 has an amplified coax passthru like the Philips DVDR3576, but at least you won't be splitting the signal (and losing at least -3.7dB) JUST BEFORE you connect to the built-in splitter in the DVDR's coax passthru.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.