Panasonic DMR-EZ47V: DVD/VCR recorder with ATSC (digitl), QAM(digitl) & Analog Tuners - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsshiva View Post

Thanks for your answer. I was also thinking on the similar lines on HDCP. makes sense. One thing though, the panny manual (page 90) lists an error code "U76 HDMI cannot output because you are connected to a model that does not support copyright protection", which I am not seeing. I am not sure if the "model" referred to is the panny or the other device (i.e monitor)

I think "copyright protection != content protection (HDCP)", hence I should not be seeing the error :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 PM

So far I have had a mixed bag with this unit. It has a propensity to freeze, requiring unplugging it - it wouldn't always eject the disk. During playback of a commercial dvd, sometimes the dvd ram/play logo in the upper right will flash for a couple of seconds. This is annoying although not major.

I have a panasonic pe77 42" plasma and the picture I get from that is substantially better than through the ez47 tuner. It is more grainy and overall duller. I don't know if I have a lemon unit or if this is to be expected. I get my tv channels from a sharpshooter antenna indoors.

I am blown away that there is no screen saver mode on this. I have an RCA 7005 hd recorder that is great and had that. But no HD tuner...

It is a drag that the recorder has to be off to activate a scheduled recording.

I'm not sure about this purchase yet. I wonder if other tuners would provide a better channel reception/picture quality.

I am using an inexpensive HDMI cable as my connector.

Jim
Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

A question. Last night I recorded a show on a DVD-RW. Played it back without finalizing. Only problem was that the Time Slip and Commercial Advance functions didn't work. I then finalized the disk, no change. Are these functions supposed to work?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

They work on my EZ-17, so I expect they they should on an EZ-47, but I haven't tried them with DVD-RW.

Were you recording in Video mode or Video Recording mode?

RG
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

I'm too new. Really don't know. What is the significance? Manual is not great in these details.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've got a new "EZ47" -- about 3 weeks old now. Just switched to DVD-RW disks this week.

I haven't tried the "time slip" feature yet, but the commercial skip works fine on my unit without finalizing the DVD-RW disk.

Knock on wood, I'm not having the problems that I read about here. I've got a couple of operational complaints, but for the most part, I love this machine.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 PM

Does anyone know if or for how long this unit can retain settings when unplugged?

Also, I have it set up such that I can record off of my Tivo through the "in 1" input. As a result, I can also watch live TV through "in 1", of course. When I do, there is a thin gray line at the bottom of the screen, which gets reproduced in all recordings. Any idea how to get rid of it?

EDIT: Got rid of the line by changing the TV screen setting to normal from full pixel. Not sure why I should have to do that, as it isn't necessary when watching the Tivo, but it did solve the problem. Anyway, still really interested in the first question about retention of settings. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

I don't recall that the machine formatted the DVD-RW before I used it. There is a statement in the manual that it formats in Video Record only, even though it is capable of recording in both DVD and DVD-VR. Maybe the disk was a DVD and that is why the functions didn't work. I have formatted it now, but haven't tried recording yet. I will post result...
Old 10-13-2007, 02:20 PM

I have tried creating a .divx file in Divx Author and burning w/ Divx Player onto a DVD-RAM, but I get a NODISK error in this "Divx certified hardware"

I have tried ConvertXDVD and burned what sure looks like valid .vob (et al/ etc.) files and the panny won't give me playback options, and says it is locked/protected (eg. in DVD Management)

I have tried (i think) Nero Premium 7 to... well it erases out the DVD-RAM disc, well I tried making a DVD but I think that just made a big .mpeg file.

I haven't tried finalizing the disc (do I have to?)

Is it the DVD-RAM disc? I can't imagine since it's the PANASONIC brand.

Is this even the right place for this? (Hoping so, since it's the Panny that won't play nice).

TIA,
Raph
Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 AM

I think it requires DVD-RAM to do time slip - not dvd RW.

I am still interested in responses to my original primary question: for tv channels, does the picture quality on the ez47 look as good as the picture quality on your plasma/lcd?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphaelae View Post

I have tried creating a .divx file in Divx Author and burning w/ Divx Player onto a DVD-RAM, but I get a NODISK error in this "Divx certified hardware"
Raph

I don't thinlk that Divx player burned to RAM. If I can recall. it didn't work when I tried, and that was a while ago, so I'm not 100% sure.
Get tired of watching divx files on the pc. I sooo wanted to be able to watch them on tv, without tying up the pc authoring a dvd.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticmedia View Post

I am still interested in responses to my original primary question: for tv channels, does the picture quality on the ez47 look as good as the picture quality on your plasma/lcd?

According to the manual, both CM skip and Time Slip are available on DVD-RW video disks.

Time Slip

[RAM] [-R] [-R\\DL] [-RWV] [+R] [+R]DL] [+RW] [-RWVR]

Use to skip in 1-minute or 10-minute increments.

CM Skip

[RAM] [-R] [-R\\DL] [-RWV] [+R] [+R]DL] [+RW] [-RWVR]

Skips 1-minute forward with each press.

Located on page 20 of the manual.

Not sure why it's not working on your machine though.

RG
Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Yes, that is weird. The ATSC tuner will output to the Ch 3/4 RF line and you can do a VHS tape to another VCR off that (or watch it on a standard analog set), but it won't record to its own internal VCR.

BobOnTampaBay
Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM

<<It has a propensity to freeze, requiring unplugging it - it wouldn't always eject the disk. >>

Jim I had this problem and called the Panasonic technical service 800 # from the back of the manual. The sent out a DVD that installed (simple to go) a new file into the BIOS memory chip and it seems to have done the job.

BobOnTampaBay
Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 PM

biker19 wrote on 06-12-07, 09:20 AM
"No, none of the current DVDrs pass the native HD signal through."

Why not and does this fact not bother anyone? If I have the Panny inline before my Tosh HDTV I get NO HD programming on my Tosh! The TV claims the digital signal strength is too low (read non-existent) WTF? I've set the RFout to OFF...

per post by Ton1234 wrote on 07-02-07, 04:45 PM
"In my set-up, I connect the OTA antenna to the panny RF input and the Panny RF output to the satellite receiver(Be sure to turn the RF output channel to OFF. This procedure is explained in the troubleshooting guide). This way both units are connected to antenna at all times."

...figuring this would 'eliminate' the Panny from the equation (but still allow me to record what I want after switching to VCR mode and changing inputs on the TV to 'see' what I'm tuning in on the Panny to record. Still no dice. It obviously isn't really off then. Even turning the Panny off doesn't rectify the situation.

What I want and think I'm not going to get:
Wall cable [no STB] (w 'free' HD content ATSC/QAM) --> Panny RFin --> Panny RFout --> HDTV full signal tuned by TV

I'll also have the Panny connected via HDMI so I can monitor what I'm recording (when I want to) as well as watch upscaled DVDs
I want to tune with the HDTV (Tosh 37HL67) since it has features I want instead of the Panny's (which as noted in a recent post is lower quality that their HDTV tuner as well).

Is this [simple passthru of the RF signal as-is] too hard to ask/do? I'm afraid I know the answer...

Is the only 'solution' to split the cable? (which arguably will further degrade the overall signal)
Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Use a powered splitter.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Just a follow up on time slip/CA. Got Panny DVD-RAM and it works fine with that media. Haven't had a chance to check DVD-RW VR formatted yet.
EDIT:
DVD-RW doesn't do it!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Tomorrow is last day for Costco October $30 off coupon on purchase of DMZ-EZ475V. Just bought mine and will be setting it up tonight.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:12 PM

Does this unit play S-VHS tapes?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:10 PM

kechulater: I haven't tried it, but according to the manual:
"S-VHS Quasi Playback:" This unit can play tapes recorded in S-VHS. Some picture noise may occur depending on the type of tape used. It is not possible to fully obtain the high resolution S-VHS is capable of. This unit cannot record in S-VHS.

Going back to the HEATSINK issues with the EZ47: I've been getting the U99 error a lot, usually when the unit has been on for over three hours, but I swear the one time it happened with the unit OFF! Resetting fixes the problem, but...I'm still thinking that the temp sensor is to blame here, although U99 is a "generic" error code and many things could cause it. Anyone else seeing U99?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghCoyote View Post

kechulater: I haven't tried it, but according to the manual:
"S-VHS Quasi Playback:" This unit can play tapes recorded in S-VHS. Some picture noise may occur depending on the type of tape used. It is not possible to fully obtain the high resolution S-VHS is capable of. This unit cannot record in S-VHS.

Going back to the HEATSINK issues with the EZ47: I've been getting the U99 error a lot, usually when the unit has been on for over three hours, but I swear the one time it happened with the unit OFF! Resetting fixes the problem, but...I'm still thinking that the temp sensor is to blame here, although U99 is a "generic" error code and many things could cause it. Anyone else seeing U99?

Sorry for butting in here (don't have the EZ47), but if you have "Rapid Start," or whatever Panny calls it, ON, you can reduce laser heat slightly by turning that off. That'll reduce laser power to its basic "bias" level, which is just enough to help get started a little quicker than w/no power at all.

The heat sink has been mentioned by one DVD laser producer as the most important design element since heat is the primary cause of laser failure over time.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:43 PM

Thanks, wabjxo. I thought of that after I started getting the U99s and did turn off the rapid start. It's really not that much of a savings in startup time at all.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Thanks PghCoyote!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 AM

Hi all: For one who wants to record 2 hour miniDV tapes (16:9 analog format) or VHS SP mode tapes, is there much work per disc? I want to hit record on one/play on the other and let it go with minimal work and don't want to have to wait long for finalizing etc. I'm also concerned because a lot of the VHS tapes went to 2:03 or so.

Does it burn straight to disc or go to hard drive first? I would plan to do one every single night for years to back up my stuff and get it in dvd format. Any comments would be much appreciated! I have a panny miniDV camcorder, and a panny 42" plasma. I don't even have cable TV so would not be using it to record off tv.

Finally, is the VHS 4-head and true stereo?

Thanks!
lowella
Old 11-17-2007, 06:59 AM

bump?

sorry, it looks like a ton of you guys have this unit so I'm hoping to find a couple quick yes/no answers Thanks!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticmedia View Post

Don't know about the TV tuner, since I have a plasma monitor, but the Comcast cable box is better and I used an HDMI cable for both.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowella View Post

Hi all: For one who wants to record 2 hour miniDV tapes (16:9 analog format) or VHS SP mode tapes, is there much work per disc? I want to hit record on one/play on the other and let it go with minimal work and don't want to have to wait long for finalizing etc. I'm also concerned because a lot of the VHS tapes went to 2:03 or so.

Does it burn straight to disc or go to hard drive first? I would plan to do one every single night for years to back up my stuff and get it in dvd format. Any comments would be much appreciated! I have a panny miniDV camcorder, and a panny 42" plasma. I don't even have cable TV so would not be using it to record off tv.

Finally, is the VHS 4-head and true stereo?

Thanks!
lowella

The EZ47 has no hard drive; everything goes straight to disk.

For your VHS tapes, you should be able to just "dupe" them to disk. Set it up and let it run. There is a DV input for your camcorder so you can play it directly to the DVD recorder. I'm not sure what it does with the 16:9 stuff, though.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM

I am a first time poster and it seems I have come to the right place for my question.

I just bought the DMR-EZ475V and am wondering what is the best way to connect this device up?

Here are my system details:
Motorola DCT-6412 STB w/DVR (Comcast Cable)
Sharp Aquos 52" HDTV (2xHDMI, 1xComponent, etc..)

I would like to record from DVR to EZ475.

I am just a little confused as to how the connections should go and retain the best quality video and sound.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.
-----------------
B1g Mike
Old 11-27-2007, 01:30 PM

I know that this is a little late, but I have had good luck with HDTV recordings using BeyondTv, and Roxio, getting signal from an HDHomeRun. The Roxio lets me trim the ends, edit the commercials and burn to fit the disk at best quality. If I use Double Layer disks, I don't have to give up anything on quality. This is where we are with the help of computers, it's only a matter of time before some manufacturer puts a Double Layer burner and true HD recording in a QAM equipped DVD/VCR. For now, I use the good "Old Fashioned" way, and use a computer for everytihing.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo87 View Post

I do not know about recording HDTV, because I have not done that yet. However,

I love a good gadget.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 AM
meb

Hi!

I have a couple of questions for the users that have installed the heat sink on the LSI chip. What are the length, width and height of the heat sink you used? Also how do you open the case?

Thanks for your help.