Panasonic DMR-EZ47V: DVD/VCR recorder with ATSC (digitl), QAM(digitl) & Analog Tuners - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 634 Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have one simple question, can anyone tell me if the DMR-EZ37VK in fact does have a component input for recording? Does anyone know if this unit has any discrete functions available anywhere. Preferably in hex format. I've looked on panny's website and looked at the instructions and it does not show a component input as the instructions are general and not model specific. i want to order this but don't want to be upset if it doesn't have component input. Would like some discrete functions such as power and maybe input. But i'll settle for just component input. If anyone could chime in, that would be more than appreciated

Crestron Certified Programmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 634 Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
There is not a component input for recording on the EZ47.
post #153 of 634 Old 12-08-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by elasticmedia
I think it requires DVD-RAM to do time slip - not dvd RW.

I am still interested in responses to my original primary question: for tv channels, does the picture quality on the ez47 look as good as the picture quality on your plasma/lcd?

I have the same issue. Mostly noted with HD channels. They seem much sharper thru the LCD TV than the Pany.

As for the post about movies not playing with DVD RW discs, I have had good luck in viewing movies burned using ConvertXDVD onto DVD RW. No experience trying to view DIVX file directly from disc.
post #154 of 634 Old 12-08-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I've had a EZ-27 w/hdmi out, and yes the PQ of using the DVDR's built in digital tuner is MUCH worse than watching the same program directly with your HDTV's digital tuner. I've read that anything outputted by the unit is 480i, which my be upconverted to whatever, but it starts out 480i

That said, you're going to get a better PQ watching HD thru, the EZ-47's tuner, than SD on the TV's built in tuner. JMO
post #155 of 634 Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 AM

I have a couple of questions please.... I have a mitsu 52725 ( 1 hdmi ) and a SA 8300hd dvr and a panny upconverting dvd player. Right now I use the only HDMI input from the dvd player to the TV. I want to buy a decent dvd recorder/ vhs ... Can this dvd recorder copy things from my dvr to the dvd ? how well and should I get a HDMI switcher ? I think I'll need on, this dvd recorder plays a HDMI cable too, right...does it send the vhs playing thru the hdmi cable too ? I know I could be using a hdmi from my dvr too.

I want a decent dvd recorder to transfer stuff off my dvr and copy some old vhs tapes... will this unit do what I need... I want to get this stuff for my Christmas presents !!! can someone recomend a good switcher too ...please !!!!

thanks Tim
post #156 of 634 Old 12-09-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

#1. Yes this device can copy things from your DVR, assuming they are not copy protected NCP. I've been told that pay stations like HBO etc. copy protect there shows.? It might be on your dvr, but to record CP material onto this Panny, you would need a "filter" or such device. Also note that all copying would be realtime.

2. I've read about HDMI switchers, but I'm sure someone else would be better suited to comment on that, and give you suggestions on where to buy.

3. Yes VHS does come out the HDMI port(you need to set it up, to do that), but it still only looks like VHS PQ....

4. This unit should do a fine job of converting your VHS tapes to DVD, again assuming they are NCP. Otherwise you would need to loop the VHS signal out of the unit, go through a "filter" and then back into the unit. Quite simple actually(I don't think just every DVDR/VHS can do this).

If your tv has unused component inputs, you might also want to consider just using those for the output of the EZ-47, the PQ should be pretty much the same, JMO, but then you would probably just want to save some $$ and get a EZ-37(I think) w/o the HDMI out. But you still would maby want the switcher for your DVR? then again you could consider ditching your Upconverting Panny DVD player, since the EZ-47 also upconverts.
Lots of options! Good luck.
post #157 of 634 Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 AM

thanks for the info

My wife wants some "Everyone Loves Raymond" on dvd from the dvr...and some of the american idol stuff since her former student was on there.

do I need a filter ?

someone wwant to pm info on a "filter" I might be able to use ?
post #158 of 634 Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 AM

Hi I am having a problem with my panasonic EZ747V I have a dvd that is stuck inside in the player. The player will not eject at all I have even tried to eject it manualy by pushing the stop button and the channel up button. I am looking to just remove the dvd and then I will just replace the hole unit with a different one. Can someone tell me how to eject a disk out of the unit. I have also tried the eject button it says there is no disk but when you shut it off it shows there is a disk plus it was used just last night to watch a move and when we were done with the movie we stopped it and shut it off and then this morning we turn it on to take out the disk and it won't come out the dirve will not come out at all. what to do??
post #159 of 634 Old 12-10-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

OOhawk#140- You should have no problem copying the shows you mentioned. I believe the CP thing is mainly used by HBO and other? pay stations. You could just try first, it will let you know right away if it's CP. If it is, look under the sticky Philips 3575 page 2(I think) date 12-3, someone mentioned model numbers and even a hot link to a supplier of filters.(sorry I don't know how to give you a hot link to that page)

Comptr-when my ES-30 Panny dvdr/vhs would lock up, I found out by chance that, inserting a VHS tape, kinda reset things. Worth a try. You could also try resetting the unit by holding down CH up and down, on the unit for 10 seconds. Note this will reset your unit mostly to out of box state. But again worth a try. As long as you don't get the dreaded U99 error, in which case, from what I've found, the only way to get your disc back out is to take the machine apart, and then take the machine in for service.
post #160 of 634 Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 PM

thanks for the tips I think I am going to have to send it in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

OOhawk#140- You should have no problem copying the shows you mentioned. I believe the CP thing is mainly used by HBO and other? pay stations. You could just try first, it will let you know right away if it's CP. If it is, look under the sticky Philips 3575 page 2(I think) date 12-3, someone mentioned model numbers and even a hot link to a supplier of filters.(sorry I don't know how to give you a hot link to that page)

Comptr-when my ES-30 Panny dvdr/vhs would lock up, I found out by chance that, inserting a VHS tape, kinda reset things. Worth a try. You could also try resetting the unit by holding down CH up and down, on the unit for 10 seconds. Note this will reset your unit mostly to out of box state. But again worth a try. As long as you don't get the dreaded U99 error, in which case, from what I've found, the only way to get your disc back out is to take the machine apart, and then take the machine in for service.

post #161 of 634 Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

I just bought a Panasonic DMR-EZ47 for my Wife's birthday and noted that the only DVD that would record in 16/9 format was a DVD RAM disk. So I went back to Circuit city but they did not have any. I went to Best Buy and they said that they had not carried them for a while. I finally found the disk from the Panasonic store but the 2 hour disk were back ordered. I checked the next day and was able to get a couple of packs and got a discount but had to pay shipping. What gives with these disks?
post #162 of 634 Old 12-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Plenty of Panny DVD-RAM available on ebay...
post #163 of 634 Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

RAM discs are rather hard to find in BM stores, and expensive, which is why I dont use them. But dont believe Panasonic that you have to use RAM discs to record a 16X9 program(they love pushing the RAM discs). The recorder will indeed record a 16X9 program to any disc, all be it in a squished 4X3 file. As long as you have a 16X9 tv, capable of "stretching" the picture back out to 16x9, all will be fine. Full WS. NO RAM needed.
I suppose some purist are going to say, all this squishing/unsquishing will decrease PQ, but I think it's just fine. As I said I do it all the time. Record W.S. material to -R/-RW discs. JMO
post #164 of 634 Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

I am also new to the DMR-EZ47. What kind of disc is compatible with the most dvd players for playback of recorded material. We will mostly be converting VHS tapes to DVD and we wish to give the discs to others so we need the most "universal" disc we can get.
post #165 of 634 Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had luck with all -R discs. Not so much luck with +R discs. I have a older Apex DVD player, that will NOT in no way, play +R discs. I think -R is universely the most compatable disc. I've tried many major brands of discs, and they seem to all play back quite well in dvd players. I personally try and avoid, no-name discs. Not worth risking it, IMO.
post #166 of 634 Old 12-13-2007, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

I just bought a Panasonic DMR-EZ47 for my Wife's birthday and noted that the only DVD that would record in 16/9 format was a DVD RAM disk. So I went back to Circuit city but they did not have any. I went to Best Buy and they said that they had not carried them for a while. I finally found the disk from the Panasonic store but the 2 hour disk were back ordered. I checked the next day and was able to get a couple of packs and got a discount but had to pay shipping. What gives with these disks?

Do you have a Fry's Electronics around? They carry them for a good price. They're actually cheaper from the computer software dept. than they are over in the A/V dept.
post #167 of 634 Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks....I also bought some + RW so they could be erased as the RAM disk can be. My wife wants to put all the old home vidio's on disk and I want to edit them before finializing. The book says it will do RAM, -R,+R, +RW,+RDL,-RW,and -RW. The manual does not list +RW as DVD but the disks that I bought at BB were DVD. It also says that among the disks that can't be played are 3.95/4/7GB DVD-RAM for Authoring (I don't know what that means??) It also says it won't play Vidio CD so I guess that it won't play the slide show disks that I burned on my computer of my trip to the Grand Canyon. It seems that technology is way ahead of the old saying "Keep it simple stupid"
post #168 of 634 Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGirl View Post

Anybody? Here is my question...I don't have an antenna yet for OTA signals. When I tape the SD from my cable box it looks very good. However, when I put an HD channel on through the cable box, I can not get the image to fill the screen. I have played with the different settings in the screen menu and tried 16:9 480i, 16:9 480p, both with letterbox and pan & scan modes and the best I can get is a great picture with grey bars on the top and bottom. Any help on figuring out how to see and tape to disc the entire HD picture, using the cable box connected by a svideo cable, would be greatly appreciated.

I know it's now 5 months since this question was asked, but i just bought an EZ27K and came across this old post while reading all the various Panasonic EZ17/27/47K threads. I have my new EZ27K connected to a spare 8300HD cable DVR via S-Video and i found i have the same problem that NewYorkGirl had with the gray bars top and bottom when watching 16:9 HD programming on my 1080p Panasonic plasma. My SA8300HD is connected to the EZ27K with S-Video, then HDMI from the EZ27K to the Plasma. I am not using the internal tuner in the EZ27K, i bought it primarily to archive content from my Tivo Series 3 and my two SA8300HDs. I have the EZ27K set up for a widescreen TV and set the HDMI output to 1080p (and sometimes 1080i).

Like NewYorkGirl, i just could not get rid of gray top and bottom bars when watching an HD program through cable box via S-Video in and HDMI out. Using the TV's ZOOM and FULL and JUST modes still left the gray bars top and bottom. But then i found that by going to Setup > TV Screen > Functions of HDMI > and changing the HDMI Output Display from Full to NORMAL did the trick. This way i can now use the ZOOM aspect setting of my TV to completely fill the screen and get rid of the gray bars while maintaining the correct 16:9 aspect ratio of the HD program.

I don't know how this setting would affect programming through the internal tuner since mine's not connected to my antenna, but maybe this will help others that have this particular problem, or new owners that discover theirs does the same thing when run through an HD STB.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #169 of 634 Old 12-16-2007, 08:35 AM

I have a winegard square shooter antenna (living near the beach in san francisco) and have been moving the antenna around for the best signal. Even moving it on one side of the couch to the back or the other, allows for better reception. Needless to say, this is not ideal.

I did recently try a different location: I used two large suction cups with hooks and put them on the western window, looping rubber bands underneath the antenna. This was a great decision. I actually got 100% signal on a channel. Overall this was a great placement and I think it will stay there. I am guessing that this generically is a good place to put the antenna, closest to the outside world.
post #170 of 634 Old 12-18-2007, 05:39 PM

I have owned my unit since 09/26/07 the DVD disc will not eject and it is on its way to the repair shop.

The unit is very slow starting and slow processing commands and if you give it a couple of commands to quick the unit will freeze.

I have to constant reboot the DMR-EZ47V

This machine has all the toys and requires some reading to operate even if you think you know it all you will have to read the manual.

I have read where someone else on this forum has had the same problem with the DVD disc not ejecting even after pressing stop and up at the same time.

The machine has a lot of use for those that are creative and is the perfect tool for the person who wants make a DVD that will play in all players using the input on the front panel.

the jury is still out depends on how long the repair takes and then I will put it to the test.

Liquid oxygen & Magnet ?
post #171 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Hi all,Im new to this,so go easy,my wife just bought me the ez47v.I have it hooked up through hdmi cables.Cable box is SA 8300hd dvr,my question is can i record my dvr movies on disc?Cable box only give you the option copy to vcr.Any info would really help.do i need any other hook ups or is the hdmi fine. Thanks
post #172 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The "Out to VCR" is the one you want to use to record to the EZ47.
post #173 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

The "Out to VCR" is the one you want to use to record to the EZ47.

Sorry,im still lost,when i do that it says put tape in nothing about a disc?
post #174 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob97ss View Post

Sorry,im still lost,when i do that it says put tape in nothing about a disc?

Put a disc in, give it time to load (~10-20 sec), and see what happens.

If not "allowed," that might mean that connection only records to VCR side? Look for another EZ47 input to connect to that records to DVD (check manual?).
post #175 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I'm still lost,when i do that it says put tape in nothing about a disc?

I would think even though It says tape or vcr, It should allow any device whether Tape or DVD to record, It's just marked VCR that's all. So give It a try, It can't hurt and You won't find out if You do nothing. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained. Just like wabjxo says.
post #176 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Does the ez47v need to be directly connected to cable box?should i use the YWR cables or RGB?
post #177 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Now I'm confused.... I thought we WERE talking about the box-to-E47 connection!?

"Out to VCR" is a normal ID for the box output that you connect to a VCR or DVDR.

Exactly what outputs does your box have?
post #178 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Does the ez47v need to be directly connected to cable box?should i use the YWR cables or RGB?

Which ever type of cables are supported by both devices I'd think and Yes they should be directly connected to each other just like a VCR would be.

Output on the cable/sat box goes to Input on the recorder(DVD, DVR or VCR) for recording,
Playback would be Output(DVD, DVR or VCR) to Input on Your TV.
post #179 of 634 Old 12-21-2007, 01:23 PM

Thanks for your help guys,i got it......
post #180 of 634 Old 12-22-2007, 08:57 AM

I sent my EZ47 back to panasonic. They paid for shipping and I called them: it apparently has been fixed and will be sent back to me in a couple of days. I had it lock up on me a few times and it had the annoyance of flashing the status message (upper right corner) during the play of a dvd. I put up with it for some time but finally sent it back. I was glad that they actually found some part (don't know which) that was bad and replaced it/them. It wasn't my imagination, apparently.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page