Panasonic DMR-EZ47V: DVD/VCR recorder with ATSC (digitl), QAM(digitl) & Analog Tuners - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 634 Old 12-22-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Now I'm confused.... I thought we WERE talking about the box-to-E47 connection!?

"Out to VCR" is a normal ID for the box output that you connect to a VCR or DVDR.

Exactly what outputs does your box have?

My Dish tuner has the option (in the menu) of "Out to VCR" or "Out to External Device". If I use the VCR out to my DVD recorders, the picture is blacked out.

But if he only has "Out to VCR", I would think it should work. It would sure suck if it doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 634 Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 AM

Liked: 10
Hello, I purchased this VHS to DVD recorder a few weeks ago and I still cannot get it to work properly. I bought it to copy about 30 VHS home movies to DVD. I can make recording from the VHS to the DVD but do not know how to FINALIZE the DVD. On page 46 of the operators manual, step 5 says to select 'Finalize'. I never see 'Finalize' as a menu item. Otherwise, the DVD is recorded and I can play it back in the unit. I want to be able to edit the recording on my PC but it doesn't see the DVD, I think because it is not FINALIZED. Also, does anyone know what format extensiuon the DVD file is recorded with? .wav ? etc.
post #183 of 634 Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 84
When you go to eject the DVD it should ask you whether you want to finalize the disc or not. If you do, it should say hit the record button to finalize.
If you're not getting this message when you try and eject the disc, my guess is that the disc is a RAM? disc, in which case it does not have to be finalized. This might also explain why your computer drive is not reading it. Some may not read RAM discs. Otherwise are you sure your PC is capable of reading DVD's? Older ones may not be.
I'm not sure of the extension. I really don't play back the DVD's in my computer.
post #184 of 634 Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 AM

I bought this unit a few days ago and like it very much so far.

While I have no problem playing back the finalized DVDs on my computer, so far I have been unable to copy them or transfer the content to my computer's hard drive. I use Roxio as my copying software and have a powerful computer made two years ago.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make copies of DVDs burned on this unit?

Thanks!
post #185 of 634 Old 12-24-2007, 07:04 AM

I stumbled on this forum while researching the Pana DMR-EZ475V that Costco is selling. I'm desperately trying to save some of my old Beta (yes, yes, yes, I was a Beta fan way back when...) tapes. The gent 'helping' people in the VCR/DVD section said (when asked) that I could plug my Beta machine into the EZ475V and send the signal on to the DVD burning mechanism and VIOLLA - DVD's of my old Beta tapes. I'm ready to go back to Costco today and pick this unit up.

Do any of you experienced video pros know if this is true? Can this be done?

He, of course, offered me his card and said he'd be happy to do it for me - for a price.

I've still got two working Beta VCR's and a working BetaCam. I'd really like to save some of the commercial tapes I have, and my 'home movies' that date back to you can guess when. I'm afraid one of these days this old equipment is going to give up the ghost and then all will be lost - GASP!
post #186 of 634 Old 12-24-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Doug, There should be no reason you cannot copy any DVD recorded on your EZ-47 to the computer HDD. With may be.....the exception of a copy once program that was recorded to RAM. I personally have never tried this, I don't think I have even ran into a copy once program(may be something off HBO??) I only have OTA.
So in my opinion if the EZ-47 was able to copy it to anything other than RAM, it should......copy to the computer just fine.

Mr. Tommy,
Copying Beta tapes should be no problem,and if you have a super Beta player with S-out, you should get a even better PQ than just composite out.
Note if any of the "commercial" tapes have copy protection, you will need to use some sort of MacroV filter.
Note I personally would not throw away any of the Beta tapes after you are done, if they are irreplaceable. I'm personally not totally sold that DVD's are the best archiving media in the long run. Read some of the threads on DVD media. Some people report unreadable discs after only a short while. Just a FYI.
post #187 of 634 Old 12-24-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Mr. Tommy,
Copying Beta tapes should be no problem,and if you have a super Beta player with S-out, you should get a even better PQ than just composite out.
Note if any of the "commercial" tapes have copy protection, you will need to use some sort of MacroV filter.
Note I personally would not throw away any of the Beta tapes after you are done, if they are irreplaceable. I'm personally not totally sold that DVD's are the best archiving media in the long run. Read some of the threads on DVD media. Some people report unreadable discs after only a short while. Just a FYI.

Thanks jjeff. I discovered way back that there was little copy protection on (at least my) Beta tapes. That seemed to get into full swing with the spread of VHS. Hopefully that won't be a problem. My recorders are Sony Beta HiFi units. I just started looking for the user manual(s) - so far with no success. I'll have to unplug everything and pull it out from the setup to see if it has the "S-out" plug. I don't remember.

Funny you should mention (and I will read the DVD threads) about unreadable discs. I just ran into that problem with a PDF file that I bought on a CD a few years back. I looked at it then, and put it away. Two days ago I pulled it out and I'm unable to read it on any of the three computers here in our home office. Hrrumph! Of course, having to save the old Beta tapes anyway means saving the Beta players too, and I was trying to pare down some of the 'crap' that's building and taking over our house, garage, and shed(s).
post #188 of 634 Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post

Thanks jjeff. I discovered way back that there was little copy protection on (at least my) Beta tapes. That seemed to get into full swing with the spread of VHS. Hopefully that won't be a problem. My recorders are Sony Beta HiFi units. I just started looking for the user manual(s) - so far with no success. I'll have to unplug everything and pull it out from the setup to see if it has the "S-out" plug. I don't remember.

Funny you should mention (and I will read the DVD threads) about unreadable discs. I just ran into that problem with a PDF file that I bought on a CD a few years back. I looked at it then, and put it away. Two days ago I pulled it out and I'm unable to read it on any of the three computers here in our home office. Hrrumph! Of course, having to save the old Beta tapes anyway means saving the Beta players too, and I was trying to pare down some of the 'crap' that's building and taking over our house, garage, and shed(s).

I did a Google search and found from what information is available that the Beta HiFi vcrs went back to 1985, But S-Video didn't appear until about 1988 or so and three websites entitled Sony List all mention this, Here's a Link to all 3 and more. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
post #189 of 634 Old 12-24-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The only way your betamax will have a S-out, is if it can record in super beta. If it does not do that, just use the composite. It should work fine. And a side note about copy protection on betamax's. Early on I discovered that just feeding the VHS signal through a beta machine(line in to line out) then to another VHS machine, would eliminate the Macrovision. Worked nice, if not a bit bulky. I used this for many years, until I bought a Sima device, which was much smaller and more convenient.
I guess Sony must have learned there lesson, and from what I hear now, they have went the opposite way, being too picky to CP.
P.S. I here you about clutter. I have a whole small room dedicated to obsolete electroincs. May be Beta will come back.........flair pants did......
post #190 of 634 Old 12-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Since I last logged in, I checked my model number and it's the SL-2710 (which listed out at $1300!!!!), and I've got two of them. Man, I can't for the life of me remember how I managed to pay for that stuff. And then I got a BetaCam as well (which I think went for about $800!). I'd be hard pressed to pay that kind of swag NOW.

Anyway, it looks like it's not going to have the S-video. It doesn't record in Super Beta. Just Beta I and II (or is it II and III?). Doesn't matter, just so long as I can transfer my stuff from the Panasonic (which I just bought an hour or so ago at Costco) to DVD. I also bought a stack of DVD discs (the -R type cuz I read that was the format that is most recognized in the industry - more stuff I learned on this forum).

Maybe Beta will come back.........flair pants did......

Don't laugh. I've still got a pair of flairs that I've been saving (half jokingly) in case I can slip back into them - someday. HA. Kids today think they've found some great new fashion. It'd probably kill them to know Grandpa wore them 40 years ago.

Interesting about sending the VHS signal through a Beta to kill the copy protection.

Ok, gotta run. Gotta plug the Lava Lamp in so it's up and running when the guests arrive.
post #191 of 634 Old 12-24-2007, 02:28 PM

Ok boys....need some help..I'm also new to this board. My problem is: I cannot seem to record any shows past 78 . They do not show in the channel listing either whether they're turned on or off. When i scanned the channels, it scanned up to 78. Digital channels stoped at 135. But if you go into channel listing channel 79 looks like this: 79-128. and so forth. AND, its maxed out at 256-4. Even if i program say 134 to record..its blank. I don't understand. I cannot even record the military channel and so forth. What gives ? Here's my setup and connections. Connections may or may not be correct either. But the video and all sound seems fine and i'm able to record to dvd no problem. One more thing...i have my system setup so that i can change from video imput so i can record a channel and switch back to cable to watch TV. But i beleive i have something hooked up incorrectly, because the manual says the cable needs to go from the wall to pani in and pani out to cable box in and cable box out to the rf in TV. My cable box has NO out. Just a in. I have another cable box coming from time warner with in & out wednesday. I told them even though its HDTV..i need imput/output. They tell me the new one has it. Even my ol' EH55 would not record anything over 78...HELP..plz..my wife is driving me nuts..and me too. What are my options ? splitting the cable somehow ? I heard a dual tuner from the cable company....but i already pay 130.00 for cable w/roadrunner already..its killing me.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated. My wife was already pissed because we exchanged the eh55 (because it was wiggin out 2month warranty left )w/ HDD for this upgrade at no additional cost from circuit city. and i didnt know the ez47 didnt have a HDD. Thanks again everyone...

Components:

HDTV sony 42" DVI has aux, to converter, vhf/uhf coax
Time Warner Cable box Pioneer Voyager HDTV w/only coax in..no out
Panasonic EZ47V
Sony Dvd Progressive player
WII (which isn't hooked-up yet still xmas wrapped)
Playstation2(not currently hooked up)
Playstation3 (which is wrapped also)
Xbox

Connections:

DVI cable from TV to cable box
Cable from wall to cable box
post #192 of 634 Old 12-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:

The only way your betamax will have a S-out, is if it can record in super beta. If it does not do that, just use the composite. It should work fine. And a side note about copy protection on betamax's. Early on I discovered that just feeding the VHS signal through a beta machine(line in to line out) then to another VHS machine, would eliminate the Macrovision. Worked nice, if not a bit bulky. I used this for many years, until I bought a Sima device, which was much smaller and more convenient.
I guess Sony must have learned there lesson, and from what I hear now, they have went the opposite way, being too picky to CP.
P.S. I here you about clutter. I have a whole small room dedicated to obsolete electronics. May be Beta will come back.........flair pants did......

Then It looks like a Sony Betamax that does have an s-video out is It, As I looked for a Sima device(SED-CM) and no one on Google has one for NTSC, One can be found for PAL of course($89.95), and I did find the CT-2 CopyMaster by Sima, But I don't know which is the one You have.

Oh and do You need a Beta tape to do the transfer, As in copy first to Beta and then out to DVD or what?
post #193 of 634 Old 12-26-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, ct-2 works for DVD's. The thing I did, going through the Beta machine, did not require you to tape it to Beta. Just go in camera in(composite), then video out to other device you want to copy to. Beta machine needed to be powered up and selected to camera(composite) in.
Note I don't think going through the beta machine would remove DVD CP, I could be wrong, but it did remove VHS CP. My first Sima device(cant remember model #) removed VHS CP, but NOT DVD CP. That's when I got the CT-2, which works for DVD's, but I've been told, Sima is out of business.
post #194 of 634 Old 12-26-2007, 02:07 PM

For what it's worth, my copying old Beta Tapes to DVD worked just fine. In fact, the new DVD's seem to me to look even better than the original, though I may be just telling myself that...

At least now I don't have to re-wind when I'm done, and don't have to search through a tape to find something I want. Soooooo easy now.

This morning I copied a VHS tape to DVD. This Pana is working out great. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Now I just have to fine tune the learning curve and figure out how to do edits, multiple tape transfers to single DVD etc. Just a bit more "RTFM'ing"...
post #195 of 634 Old 12-26-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I agree, and other posters have confirmed, the DVD copy of the tape looks better than watching the tape directly. Something about the filters in the DVDR clean up the dropouts etc. of the tape.
post #196 of 634 Old 12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddlord777 View Post

Ok boys....need some help..I'm also new to this board. My problem is: I cannot seem to record any shows past 78 . They do not show in the channel listing either whether they're turned on or off. When i scanned the channels, it scanned up to 78. Digital channels stoped at 135. But if you go into channel listing channel 79 looks like this: 79-128. and so forth. AND, its maxed out at 256-4. Even if i program say 134 to record..its blank. I don't understand. I cannot even record the military channel and so forth. What gives ? Here's my setup and connections. Connections may or may not be correct either. But the video and all sound seems fine and i'm able to record to dvd no problem. One more thing...i have my system setup so that i can change from video imput so i can record a channel and switch back to cable to watch TV. But i beleive i have something hooked up incorrectly, because the manual says the cable needs to go from the wall to pani in and pani out to cable box in and cable box out to the rf in TV. My cable box has NO out. Just a in. I have another cable box coming from time warner with in & out wednesday. I told them even though its HDTV..i need imput/output. They tell me the new one has it. Even my ol' EH55 would not record anything over 78...HELP..plz..my wife is driving me nuts..and me too. What are my options ? splitting the cable somehow ? I heard a dual tuner from the cable company....but i already pay 130.00 for cable w/roadrunner already..its killing me.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated. My wife was already pissed because we exchanged the eh55 (because it was wiggin out 2month warranty left )w/ HDD for this upgrade at no additional cost from circuit city. and i didnt know the ez47 didnt have a HDD. Thanks again everyone...

Components:

HDTV sony 42" DVI has aux, to converter, vhf/uhf coax
Time Warner Cable box Pioneer Voyager HDTV w/only coax in..no out
Panasonic EZ47V
Sony Dvd Progressive player
WII (which isn't hooked-up yet still xmas wrapped)
Playstation3 (which is wrapped also)
Xbox

Connections:

DVI cable from TV to cable box
Cable from wall to cable box

Let's take this a step at a time.

You said "the manual says the cable needs to go from the wall to pani in and pani out to cable box in". Is this what you currently have? Try going from wall to Panny to TV. Eliminate the cable box for the moment. Then do another channel scan.

The Panny will only go up to channel 135. This is not to be confused with your cable box channel numbers, which for the most part will probably be different. Channel 79-128 I'm guessing is 79.128. Panny uses a "dash" instead of a "dot". The "128" is a subchannel.

I'm not sure what you mean "its maxed out at 256-4".

I don't know about your cable system, but Comcast by me encrypts several non-premium digital channels such as SciFi. Even though the Panny's QAM tuner may be capable of tuning in the correct channel number/frequency, you will never see the picture.

Anyway try feeding the Panny the signal right from the wall & see what happens.
post #197 of 634 Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But dont believe Panasonic that you have to use RAM discs to record a 16X9 program(they love pushing the RAM discs). The recorder will indeed record a 16X9 program to any disc, all be it in a squished 4X3 file. As long as you have a 16X9 tv, capable of "stretching" the picture back out to 16x9, all will be fine. Full WS. NO RAM needed.
I suppose some purist are going to say, all this squishing/unsquishing will decrease PQ, but I think it's just fine. As I said I do it all the time. Record W.S. material to -R/-RW discs. JMO

This is the one major fault of all Panasonic recorders and the reason I have been holding out buying one. Wouldn't I want to record any ATSC signal in a 16:9 format? Seems a little riduculous to include a ATSC tuner but limit recording 16:9 to a relatively unused (and poorly shared) format.

Why can't the makers of these things get them to carry the anamorphic flag so that the recording will be displayed properly on ANY TV? Is this really too much to ask?
post #198 of 634 Old 12-27-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I totally agree. But as I've said before, I dont believe ANY current DVDR's set this flag, it's not just Panasonic.
Let's just hope the next generation of DVDR's (any brand) have this feature. Oh and the ability to output "true hd" with it's digital tuner, would be nice too.
post #199 of 634 Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh and the ability to output "true hd" with it's digital tuner, would be nice too.

AMEN ... no reason hard-drive based units shouldn't be on a par with TIVOs

and HD or Blue-Ray recorders ...

wake me from my dream ...
post #200 of 634 Old 12-28-2007, 11:44 AM

Does anyone know how to record multiple VHS recordings onto one DVD with the DMR- EZ475V?
post #201 of 634 Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

First I should qualify this response with the fact that I have not had a Panny DVDR/VCR unit since my es-30, but I wouldn't believe they would have changed the way it records.
How I would do this on my es-30 would be:

Q the VHS up to a point a second or 2 before you want the DVD recording to start. Make sure you have your recordable DVD in the recorder. Push play on the VHS. Then record on the DVDR. When you get done with the tape, or to a point that you dont want to record anymore, pause the DVD. If you want to swap the VHS go ahead, while the DVD is in pause mode. Play the next VHS, and when you get to a point you want to record, just hit pause on the DVDR and it will start recording again.
Now if you wanted a separate title on the DVD for each VHS tape, just push stop, instead of pause. Then start from the beginning again.

Now if your EZ47 is like my ES30, you have to hit VHS or DVD on the remote, to tell the player what device you want to pause/record etc. since one button works for both VHS and DVD. It gets to be kind of a pain. That's why I usually used a separate VHS player to feed the DVDR. I used a good quality Samsung VCR, and the PQ was equal to the internal copy, IMO.
I personally never really used the dubbing button on my Panny, I preferred to operate it like 2 separate units, pausing the recording DVDR when I wanted.
Hope this makes sense to you...
post #202 of 634 Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 AM

I have the DMR-EZ475V DVD recorder and see several posts where people have black/grey bars at the top & bottom of the screen. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a good explanation or solution. The best solution I've seen was to use the TV zoom feature to expand the picture. Unfortunately, the zoom options are "greyed-out" on my TV. More detail:

I have s-video input to IN1 on the 475V from a comcast HD-STB and HDMI out to a Samsung 4661 TV. SD pictures appear the same from the STB and the 475V. It is only HD programs. I can stretch the picture to fill the screen side to side but, with the correct aspect ratio, there are bars on all sides. I have tried all possible combinations of DVD recorder and TV settings. I cannot get rid of the top & bottom bars.

I do not get these bars if I hook the cable directly from the wall to the 475V but, then I don't get all of the HD cable channels. I have also tried using RF from the STB to the 475V with no improvement.

Help!
post #203 of 634 Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out the post 12-15-07 (page 6)on this thread by Randy Walters- I think he addressed this problem.
post #204 of 634 Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 AM

I'm back again...w/a little more updated equipment and still have issues.

Components:

HDTV sony 42" DVI
Time Warner Cable box Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HDC
Panasonic EZ47V
Sony Dvd Progressive player (no problems here)
Nintendo WII
Playstation3
Xbox

Connections: Currently

DVI cable from TV to HDMI adapter to cable box
Coax from wall directly to Cable box

What i'm trying to accomplish is to record a channel (example) on 67 speed on video imput 4...and switch back to cable on imput 1 and watch this channel while imput 4 is recording. I somehow (dont remember how exactly..alot of cables running in/out everywhere. Panasonic said this was NOT possible, however, i DID do it and it worked fine. However, i was not able to figure out a way to record a channel past 98 i think it is. I have Time Warner Cable pkg that includes a whole lot of channels..hundreds..plus some hbo type channels. I did not have a coax output on my last cable box..and they have recently gave me a new model (stated above) which has imput/output...But i cannot for the life of me, get it to record past 98. Can someone please tell me how this can be done, without buying more equipment. Time Warner has their own DVR...but i already have my new Panai..I have heard it can be done..but how ? Specifically..I can record just about any station on the cable side imput w/the coax from the wall directly to the cable box, which i beleive is IN1, but when i start hooking coax directly to pani first....i start having issues like no channel data and i think it switches itself to imput TV..instead of IN1....Pleaseeeee can someone help me...i want so much to record othere higher stations like Military Channel and so on.....PLease help a guy out...my wife will thank you also....she is already ticked because the EH55 we had had a Hard Drive....and when i upgraded to the EZ47V, i didn't know it had NO HD. One more thing i have read on here and dont understand the answer is: When recording to cd/and or dvd etc...why can i not set it for extended play. Only when you shedule a recording can it be changed. Can it not be permanetly changed to reflect extended play ?

Thanks everyone...i would greatly appreciate the help...thats why i'm here...alot of good peeps on here..
post #205 of 634 Old 12-29-2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks JJeff. I had seen Randy's post and it was the best I've read. I did what he suggested. However, when I tried to zoom the TV, the two zoom options for picture size were not selectable (I'm not sure why). In any case, I'm looking for a solution where I can record programs to DVD and have someone else play them back without too much effort.

I'm puzzled why the HD signals are reduced in size. Could it be that the S-Video cable only transmits SDTV? Is this the SD version of an HD broadcast?

Thanks...
post #206 of 634 Old 12-29-2007, 10:39 AM

I just purchased this device and want to copy my home-made VHS tapes to DVD. The DVD record mode seems to be limited to XP mode (1 hour). Since my VHS tapes are T-120 recorded in SP mode (2 hour) or EP mode (8 hour), I would like to copy an entire VHS tape to a single DVD without having to use DL media. I have read the manual and it implies that you can set the DVD record mode to XP, SP, LP, EP, etc. but I'm wondering if this applies to copying from VHS to DVD or just for programmed recording. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated!
post #207 of 634 Old 12-29-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

JOMO, It sounds like something your cable box is doing. While I dont believe s-video is capable of handling the bandwith of HD material, I would think you would need HDMI/DVI or at the least component. I use S-video to output one DVD player, and have it record on my EZ-17. The EZ-17 does record the whole 480 16X9 picture , but it does not set the flag to tell any players it's 16x9, so if you play the dvd on a non WS tv, the picture will be vertically stretched.
I wonder if there's some kind of setting in your cable box to make the output for HD channels, full frame?
Also some TV's will only allow stretching/zooming in certain circumstances. I know if I record a 4X3 HD signal OTA, I cannot stretch it out to fill my 16X9 screen playing it on my EZ-17, but if I play it back on my ES-25 which has HDMI conx. w/hd upconversion output, I can stretch it! Go figure. Again I think it's more TV dependent.

rettenhu, Yes you can select any speed on the recorder. Anything from xp(1hr) to ep8(8hr). Just set the speed on the DVDR before you start your dub.
post #208 of 634 Old 12-29-2007, 04:08 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMO-1080 View Post

Thanks JJeff. I had seen Randy's post and it was the best I've read. I did what he suggested. However, when I tried to zoom the TV, the two zoom options for picture size were not selectable (I'm not sure why). In any case, I'm looking for a solution where I can record programs to DVD and have someone else play them back without too much effort.

Since your TV's Zoom options were not selectable, i think maybe your TV does not give you the ability to stretch or zoom an "HD" signal (720p, 1080i, or 1080p). Since your EZ475 is connected to the TV via HDMI, i suspect that if you have the EZ475 set up to output an "HD" signal to the TV that is rendering the TV's Zoom setting to be unavailable (this is the case on my older PX50U plasma and Sharp/HP LCD TV). Not all TVs can stretch or zoom an "HD" signal, but my new-ish PZ700U plasma does give me the ability to stretch or zoom an HD signal which is how i got rid of the gray bars on the recording i made of the Peter Gabriel concert. However, all of these TVs can stretch or zoom a 480i or 480p signal . . . . .

So if your EZ475 is indeed set to output 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, try changing it to output at 480p instead then play the program again and see if your TV's zoom function becomes available and if it is now able to zoom the image and get rid of the gray bars.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that the TV doesn't allow you to stretch any signal that comes over HDMI, so maybe try connecting the TV with Component instead and see if your zoom becomes available with the EZ475 set to output 480p. If zoom works here, then remove the component cables and re-connect your HDMI cable and see if the TV will still zoom the image.

Quote:

I'm puzzled why the HD signals are reduced in size. Could it be that the S-Video cable only transmits SDTV? Is this the SD version of an HD broadcast?

Yes, i think this is the reason why an HD program recorded on your DVR is output with the gray bars - it's downconverted to SD since "HD" can't be transmitted over S-Video.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #209 of 634 Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:

JOMO, It sounds like something your cable box is doing. While I dont believe s-video is capable of handling the bandwith of HD material, I would think you would need HDMI/DVI or at the least component. I use S-video to output one DVD player, and have it record on my EZ-17. The EZ-17 does record the whole 480 16X9 picture , but it does not set the flag to tell any players it's 16x9, so if you play the dvd on a non WS tv, the picture will be vertically stretched.
I wonder if there's some kind of setting in your cable box to make the output for HD channels, full frame?
Also some TV's will only allow stretching/zooming in certain circumstances. I know if I record a 4X3 HD signal OTA, I cannot stretch it out to fill my 16X9 screen playing it on my EZ-17, but if I play it back on my ES-25 which has HDMI conx. w/hd upconversion output, I can stretch it! Go figure. Again I think it's more TV dependent.

rettenhu, Yes you can select any speed on the recorder. Anything from xp(1hr) to ep8(8hr). Just set the speed on the DVDR before you start your dub.

Jeff,

Can you point me to where you change the speed? I can't find it anywhere in Setup or DVD Management. The only place I see an option to select the DVD record mode is when you go into the Program menu to record TV programs. I'm sure it must be somewhere and I feel like an idiot because I can't find it!
post #210 of 634 Old 12-30-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm going off my es-30 DVDR w/VHS but I believe your's should be the same. There should be a button the remote called REC MODE. When in DVD mode push that button to cycle through all the speeds. Once you get to the speed you want to use, use your dubbing button, to copy from VHS to DVDR.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page