Panasonic DMR-EZ47V: DVD/VCR recorder with ATSC (digitl), QAM(digitl) & Analog Tuners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 634 Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Panasonic DMR-EZ47Vis a DVD/VCR recorder with a ATSC (digital) tuner as well as QAM("cable digital") and analog tuners (warehouse [Costco or Sam's Club] derivative model, DMR-EZ475ZK, is apparently the DMR-EZ47V with HDMI cable in the box).

I've read two good/okay reviews of the Panasonic DMR-EZ47V. They are notes 17 & 18 linked at: Wikipedia under DVD_recorder (Comparison of 2007 ATSC DVD recorders.) I read one bad review regarding the DMR-EZ47V 1080p up-converting (at Amazon under Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK Up-Converting 1080p DVD-Recorder/VCR Combo with Built In Tuner). Fastexas and I already discussed this in the Panasonic DMR-ES45VS Thread, but I'd like to start a separate thread that is more visible to everyone and to continue the feedback on this unit, which has an appealing price at the warehouses. Fastexas also gave this unit a thumbs-up, finding it to be an excellent DVD player through his Samsung t5054 plasma, as well as a "good" VCR for his old tapes. He also compared it to the Oppo 980 and felt they were comparable, however, he did not get to check the Panny's1080 up-converting.

Others say they would not get any first generation DVD recorders with an ATSC tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 634 Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 AM

i am looking for some help regarding this unit ,,, I like to record on dvd hdtv widesreen movies off my dvr and when i did it with my old unit i lost 2 inches on top and bottom , i was told by manufacture that is was due to only having an analog input ,,, will this unit copy the full screen , since it has a digital tuner?
post #3 of 634 Old 06-09-2007, 09:34 AM

I do not know about recording HDTV, because I have not done that yet. However, I have used this unit with my DISH DVR and My Motorola 4DTV C-Band system, which I use for pay movies, and I have not had any problems with it at all. In fact, I have had this unit for a week, and I am quite pleased with it. I have a 46" Sony Bravia HDTV, and the upconversion with this unit is nice. I have watched several movies with this unit upcoverted to 1080P, and the picture is nice. Also, this unit is integrated into my Home Theater set up, and it has performed well. I have used the recorder in conjunction with sporting events that I have on tape, and the duplication has been nice. I took the discs and played them on My Pioneer unit and my cousin's Samsung (which he bought last year), and it worked fine. The set up was easy. The only problem that I did encounter was watching a movie that I had bought at Best Buy, and the DVD did freeze midway through the film. I shut the power off, and turned the power back on, went back to the place in the movie that was frozen, and had no problems. So far I have watched 12 DVD's on this unit, and I only had the problem with that one dvd, and that glitch is minor, because it has not happened since. I would recommend anyone who is looking at a combo player and recorder with digital capabilities, this is the unit to get. For the record, I used the VHS Recorder, and my recordings look good, the playback on VHS is good too. This is a unit worth having
post #4 of 634 Old 06-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Hi, I'm hoping to learn more about the Panasonic DMR-EZ475V that I just got June 6 at Costco. It includes the HDMI cable and was $299.99 plus tax here in Jacksonville, FL. I've had 2 DMR-E50's since they came out near the end of 2004. I use mostly DVD-RAM discs since that gives you Chase Play and records in the native format. I have several hundred single-sided discs and 30 or so of the double-sided cartridges. The carts I got online for about $7 or so each, shipped, which makes them expensive, but easy to handle. The majority of the regular discs are Panasonic or Fuji and I got most of them at computer shows or at Best Buy on sale for about $1 each.
Panasonic chose to limit the capacity of the discs to 1.0, 2.0 hours, etc -- neat and even?? This sucked because I like to bracket TV shows -- start a minute early and end recording a minute late. My recorder clocks are always within a few seconds but programs sometimes start 20 or so seconds early and run as late as a minute or so. 2 1/2 Men is a good example locally. I also have a Toshiba RD-XS32 with DVD-RAM and a 80GB HDD. I noticed that the Toshiba gives more recording time on the RAM discs. I reformatted the discs on the Toshiba using the quick or soft mode (the long mode is over an hour!) and got 2:07 for SP mode vs. the panasonic 2:00. This has allowed me to bracket the TV shows and get more than one hour show on each disc. I've tried EP mode and the difference is too great. I usually use SP and sometimes FR.
The DMR-EZ-475V shows 2:00 available on these discs but allows or shows the additional time on playback or recording. One good thing -- this new series does retain type 2 and 4 cartridge capability. This is a feature that is hard to find online, as well as clear QAM capability. I've only used digital cable so far but will test the OTA soon. Both my TV and my Sony HDD-250 DVR tune everything that's not encrypted. Both have cable AND antenna RF inputs so i don't have to choose one or the other, as with the DMR-EZx7 series. I don't have a separate RF switch with remote control and I haven't been enthused about adding a manual switch -- every connection reduces signal power the the TV and recorders. I have tried all kinds of amplifiers and none has helped very much, certainly not satisfactorily to feed all the devices I have.
I've compared the widescreen output of HD channels on this unit to full HD from my other sources and have been favorably impressed. I CAN see a difference but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I have to switch the TV format to get a match for almost every channel change.
So far I have only used component out cables (I use HDMI for the Comcast Moto 3416 to the TV) so I'm unsure of the upscaling of movie DVD's to my TV's preferred 720P. I tried commercial DVDs and wasn't sure that I was getting the best out of them. It's hard to read a darn 100-page manual without dozing off.
Another downside is no TV Guide or even VCR plus to help with scheduling recordings.
I do get a grainy channel 2 with HBO 4:3 on this unit and the Sony, though I don't subscribe and I wouldn't want to watch it.
I have a Terk amplified external antenna with the RF cable injected wall transformer, so I can't split that signal too many times without serious degradation. I intended the new Pan to be used for OTA HD recording so I need to test this scaling down and upscaling to see if it will suffice until I switch from Comcast to satellite. I can't seem to get the service that I'm paying for -- video and audio losses. I have to back up the Comcast recordings with my analog Panasonics or my Sony HD DVR OTA. Going digital last January didn't help and Comcast can't find what the problem is out on the poles.
Enough rambling for now. I hope some of this is helpful and look forward to reports shared by other users.
post #5 of 634 Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo87 View Post

I have had this unit for a week, and I am quite pleased with it. I have a 46" Sony Bravia HDTV, and the upconversion with this unit is nice. I have watched several movies with this unit upcoverted to 1080P, and the picture is nice. .... I have used the recorder in conjunction with sporting events that I have on tape, and the duplication has been nice. I took the discs and played them on My Pioneer unit and my cousin's Samsung (which he bought last year), and it worked fine. The set up was easy. .... I would recommend anyone who is looking at a combo player and recorder with digital capabilities, this is the unit to get. For the record, I used the VHS Recorder, and my recordings look good, the playback on VHS is good too. This is a unit worth having

Steve,

Thanks for the information! Its nice to know you had no problem with up-converting.
Just to verify, you were saying you copied your sporting events to DVD from tape, correct?
I think I'll get the unit next weekend. You've relieved some jitters I had about the unit.
post #6 of 634 Old 06-11-2007, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post

Panasonic chose to limit the capacity of the discs to 1.0, 2.0 hours, etc ... This sucked because I like to bracket TV shows -- start a minute early and end recording a minute late....
The DMR-EZ-475V shows 2:00 available on these discs but allows or shows the additional time on playback or recording.
One good thing -- this new series does retain type 2 and 4 cartridge capability. This is a feature that is hard to find online, as well as clear QAM capability. I've only used digital cable so far but will test the OTA soon....
I've compared the widescreen output of HD channels on this unit to full HD from my other sources and have been favorably impressed. I CAN see a difference but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I have to switch the TV format to get a match for almost every channel change....
Another downside is no TV Guide or even VCR plus to help with scheduling recordings.

Hi,

Thanks for all the useful information. Were you saying that although the Panasonic DMR-EZ-475V says 2.0 hours, you actually do see about a minute before and one minute after program times? You make a good point about bracketing programs.

It is also good to know about the unit retaining type 2 and 4 cartridge capability and it not having TV Guide or VCR plus.

I'm not sure what you mean that you "have to switch the TV format to get a match for almost every channel change..."

Please let us know how your OTA test work.

I am also interested in copying one or two hundred VCR's to DVD. Does anyone know if you can edit out commercials, or will I have to go with 5 minute markers of some sort, which randomly divide the video information? I definitely do not want to physically stop the videotape before and after every commercial interruption and may just copy the whole VHS and fast play through commercials.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 634 Old 06-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

So with these new DVD/VHS recorders that have a ATSC tuner, apparently they just record in SD to either the DVD recorder or to VHS?
post #8 of 634 Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 PM

Some of them record in 480i or in 480p (the newer panasonics) but the playback can upconvert the signal as you may well know.

But let me say that the recorded picture quality is very very good for the recorded OTA HDTV picture, both in XP mode (highest quality) and in the 2 hour mode is also very very good. Some people I show the recorded DVD in playback cannot tell the difference between recorded versus live HDTV when in XP mode ( I can tell but again the picture quality is very good).
post #9 of 634 Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting! This might be the ticket then as far as convenience goes. Tell me, can you watch a HD broadcast live in 1080i? I currently have an external HD tuner but if a DVD recorder with ATSC tuner lets me watch HD live I may sell it.
post #10 of 634 Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.bennett View Post

Interesting! This might be the ticket then as far as convenience goes. Tell me, can you watch a HD broadcast live in 1080i? I currently have an external HD tuner but if a DVD recorder with ATSC tuner lets me watch HD live I may sell it.

No, none of the current DVDrs pass the native HD signal through.
post #11 of 634 Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM

On the DMR-EZ47 disc capacity: The Panasonic DMR-E50 shows 2:00 for prerecorded discs, but after reformatting with my Toshiba SX32, the SP capacity shown is 2:07 with corresponding differences for the other recording modes/resolutions. The EZ47 shows the capacity at 2:00 for the reformatted discs but uses the increased capacity and shows time remaining, etc., consistent with the increased capacity.
On the format changing -- when I change channels or play a DVD movie the picture format on my TV may not be correct and I have to cycle through all the formats on the TV to see if I can match. I'm using component output to the TV and I'm not sure that I get a real 720P output to the TV. I haven't had the time to try the HDMI output. My TV has an unbelievable number of inputs, but only 1 HDMI and I used it for my Comcast DVR to get digital audio to the TV. The TV has only one digital sound IN and one OUT, but the HDMI carries the digital as well. I have a major cable farm and I have to pull everything away from the wall and fight the cables.
I live in NE Florida and we're just ending a hurricane tax-free period during which I've been trying to gather enough fabric storm panels and mounting hardware for them. We've been here 10 years and I've started many attempts at different storm shutter solutions. I think that I've got one that I can handle now -- IF I can get long enough fasteners. The ones sold along side the panels are at least 1/4" too short according to the panel manufacturer's specifications. I must be the only one to see that in the instructions, or at least the first on to bring that up.
Wifey's back! Got to help her. Cheers!
post #12 of 634 Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
My experience with the Panasonic E85 and EH50 is that it does show 2:00 after formatting a -ram disk, BUT it lets you record at least 5% more than that. This is about 2:06 for an SP mode recording. I don't have an explanation for the incorrect display, but you shouldn't need to format them on another machine to get the extra time. Have you actually tried to to see how much time you can record before it stops with the disk full?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #13 of 634 Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

I'm using component output to the TV and I'm not sure that I get a real 720P output to the TV. I haven't had the time to try the HDMI output.

I did a lot of searching for "upconverting over Component" and came up blank on recorders. Found several players that would upconvert by design and some by hacking. I don't think the EZ47 will natiively upconvert over Component but there may be a hack out there now or someday???
post #14 of 634 Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM

My Pan E50 has never allowed me to record any extra time unless I use the FR mode. That it acknowledged 2:07 after formatting on the Toshiba tells a lot. The EZ47 doesn't show that and I haven't experimented much with it, yet. I've done things like use the FR mode for a set duration of 1:02 or 2:02 with the intent to get as much resolution as possible on a Panasonic formatted 2:00 disc.
My Toshiba has problems with -RAM discs and recently I bought a bulk lot of 50 new Pan/Fuji RAM discs and got maybe 30 of those to reformat to the higher capacity -- many of those with many passes or attempts. The Toshiba still plays DVDs, but gives errors with just about any DVD-RAM, including those formatted and recorded on it. The drive is bad. The Hard drive isn't error-free, either, but that's another thread.
post #15 of 634 Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

"So with these new DVD/VHS recorders that have a ATSC tuner, apparently they just record in SD to either the DVD recorder or to VHS? "

If I am reading the manual correctly, and it appears they have a disclaimer every other paragraph, you can not record Digital TV "ATSC" to the VCR portion of the Panasonic. You can only record analog "NTSC" to the VCR directly.

I am slightly bummed about this.

I assume you could record digital to the VCR via S VIdeo in but not sure about that.

-DonB2
post #16 of 634 Old 06-12-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:

My Pan E50 has never allowed me to record any extra time unless I use the FR mode. That it acknowledged 2:07 after formatting on the Toshiba tells a lot. The EZ47 doesn't show that and I haven't experimented much with it, yet. I've done things like use the FR mode for a set duration of 1:02 or 2:02 with the intent to get as much resolution as possible on a Panasonic formatted 2:00 disc.
My Toshiba has problems with -RAM discs and recently I bought a bulk lot of 50 new Pan/Fuji RAM discs and got maybe 30 of those to reformat to the higher capacity -- many of those with many passes or attempts. The Toshiba still plays DVDs, but gives errors with just about any DVD-RAM, including those formatted and recorded on it. The drive is bad. The Hard drive isn't error-free, either, but that's another thread.

The amount of recording time displayed is only an estimate based on a presumed average bitrate. It is not a hard and fast number. What is a hard and fast number is the amount of formatted MB on the disk. I have an E-85. When I format a RAM on the E-85 it displays 2:00 (SP) recording time. If I take the disk to my PC, open it up in Panasonics MovieAlbum then return it to the E-85, it now displays 2:07. However, the formatted disk capacity (seen in the dubbing menus) has not changed.

Why the display has changed is beyond me, but in reality it doesn't matter. The disk capacity is the only thing that matters. If the recorded programs are such that they compress well with lower average bitrate you will get more actual minutes of content on the disk. It can also work the other way to give you less capacity. Knowing that most people will go by what they see in the display, I believe they have designed the system to be conservative to greatly minimize the chance that a 2hr recording will not fit on a disk.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 634 Old 06-14-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

On the DMR-EZ47 disc capacity: The Panasonic DMR-E50 shows 2:00 for prerecorded discs, but after reformatting with my Toshiba SX32, the SP capacity shown is 2:07 with corresponding differences for the other recording modes/resolutions. The EZ47 shows the capacity at 2:00 for the reformatted discs but uses the increased capacity and shows time remaining, etc., consistent with the increased capacity.
On the format changing -- when I change channels or play a DVD movie the picture format on my TV may not be correct and I have to cycle through all the formats on the TV to see if I can match.

Thanks for explaining the disc capacity and time of recording, and also for explaining your scrolling for different TV formats.

But I'm still a little confused. Can you or not bracket your recordings by a minute on each side of the program without reformatting? Have you tried it yet?

I hope to get the EZ47 this weekend.

jhollister
post #18 of 634 Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM

JH, I just tried a regular Panasonic disc and the EZ47 wouldn't let me set a recording of more than one hour for XP or two hours for SP. I didn't actually record anything, just tried to set up a recording session. With one of my Toshiba-formatted discs, I sould get 2:06 for SP and 1:03 for XP mode. The readout for the disc on the front panel reflected the longer recording time available: XP 1:03, SP 2:06, LP 4:12, and EP 6:17 (set for 6, not 8 hrs.)
I finally tried OTA for HD channels and they look much better than my analog cable channels were with my old DMR-E50's and I get widescreen presentations but I can tell that it's not a true High Def picture. There's a bit of graininess that the true HD pictures wouldn't have. I haven't tried any real recording yet, but I did hook up the HDMI and I seem to get full upscaling of the DVD movies. I don't think that is the case with component cables.
Something that I haven't tried is reformatting a disc with this EZ47 to see if they still stick with that seemingly arbitrary even 2:00 for SP. Remember that I'm talking about soft formatting -- the one that takes a minute or two, not the physical formatting that takes an hour or more per disc. I'll go try that now.
Well, the EZ47 formats even hours: 1:00 for XP, etc. And it seems that when I erased all recordings on an "up-formatted" disc it lost the extra time and now just shows 1:00 vs 1:03 for XP. I hope that's not the case. My Toshiba is real picky about even recognizing DVD-RAMs any more, which means it won't read them, let alone format them. I can't use the physical format, either, because it doesn't "see" the disc, thinking it's bad.
I tried erasing one program at a time after watching them and retained the extended formatting -- Whew!
post #19 of 634 Old 06-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollister View Post

Steve,

Thanks for the information! Its nice to know you had no problem with up-converting.
Just to verify, you were saying you copied your sporting events to DVD from tape, correct?
I think I'll get the unit next weekend. You've relieved some jitters I had about the unit.

I have dubbed and continue to dub the sporting events that I have on VHS on to DVD. So far, no problems what so ever. I use SP Speed on the Disc, but to experiment, I used the LP Speed on the disc, which gives you 4 hours, and the picture and sound was still excellent.
post #20 of 634 Old 06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have an older model ES20 and it always shows 2:00 hrs in SP mode. I do bracket and add a minute or two to the beginning & end of programs. If I record two 1 hr programs, the first one I'll do in SP and the 2nd in FR mode. That way I'll maximize the bit rate. But I have had a couple times when I came home, turned everything on and the screen has a message to the effect that unable to complete the recording because it ran out of disc space. Fortunately because of the extra minute or two added to the end of the program I got everything. I used to add one minute, but since seeing that message I now add two minutes in case one gets shortened.
post #21 of 634 Old 06-17-2007, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What is everyone paying for this unit and does it output both the dvd and the vcr over a single hdmi output ? Thx
post #22 of 634 Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 PM

$289 on sale at CC yesterday. It does output both DVD and VHS over the HDMI connection.

I have to say, though, that the output of VHS (and to a lesser extent, DVD) is nothing special over HDMI on this unit (whether upconverted or not). I'm sticking with a component connection to my Sony Brivia XBR1 for this very reason. In fact, since the EZ37V is basically the same unit without HDMI or upconversion, unless you really HAVE to have HDMI connection it might be worth saving a few bucks on these "features" and just sticking with the "37". Just my opinion, yours may vary.
post #23 of 634 Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw383 View Post

$289 on sale at CC yesterday. It does output both DVD and VHS over the HDMI connection.

I have to say, though, that the output of VHS (and to a lesser extent, DVD) is nothing special over HDMI on this unit (whether upconverted or not). I'm sticking with a component connection to my Sony Brivia XBR1 for this very reason. In fact, since the ES37V is basically the same unit without HDMI or upconversion, unless you really HAVE to have HDMI connection it might be worth saving a few bucks on these "features" and just sticking with the "37". Just my opinion, yours may vary.

I was thinking about the 47 for my BR 720P set that has one HDMI input for DirectTV H20-250 plus component, but to connect I would have to buy a HDMI switcher from Monoprice and an extra HDMI cable. The switcher means I would have to have an extra remote to fall under the bed. If I get you right the only differance between the 37 and the 47 is price and the fact that the 37 has component output only. That would mean that I would have to use the remote on the Aquis to change inputs unless I can figure out how to program the Tivo remote to change inputs. One Call has the 47 for $299 and $279 for the 37 plus $16 shipping which is about the same as CC since there is no tax. When I look at Monoprice they have a HDMI M to HDMI F(2) splitter for $15 but without switching I don't know if this would work since I want to use the recorder to transfer off of the Tivo and to transfer old VCR to DVD. 2X1 Enhanced Powered HDMI Switcher w/ Remote $32.50 that would probably be better but then there would be another remote to get lost. If I buy a 47 will I also have to buy a HDMI cable or does it come packaged?
They also have a Any comments would be appreciated.

I am confused though as to the differance between these recorders and the ES46 that I saw at Sam's a few months ago.
post #24 of 634 Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 PM

The 47 does not come with an HDMI cable, but the (identical?) Costco version (DMR-ES475V) -- which is $299 -- does. If you are thinking about a 47 and need an HDMI cable that seems like a pretty reasonable deal.

As far as I can see, the 47 includes four basic features that the 37 lacks: HDMI, upconversion, EZ Sync, and the SD card slot. After using the 47 for a couple of days, I could live without any of those features. I briefly tried the SD card slot yesterday; my initial impression is that is is SLOW reading ~1MB JPEG images. Like the HDMI output and upconversion, it does not seem to be a "gotta have it" feature on this unit. Again, your setup and/or needs may be different than mine.

I'm not familiar with the ES46, but I do know that it does NOT have an ATSC tuner, whereas the 17/27/37/47 models do.
post #25 of 634 Old 06-19-2007, 07:04 PM

I purchased the dmr ez47v last week. I've tried to get my speakers (older Magnavox) to work through a brand new Sony receiver str-dg510. I can't get the speakers to work for dvd or tv play, but speakers work for tuner use. The thing that I notice with the pany is that there isn't a in input/output for digital coax cable. I can hook the rf to the tv but not the receiver. I think this might be main reason I can't get speakers to work. Should I consider a different dvd/dvd recorder? I'm probably going to take back the receiver and get a different sony, one that isn't so high tech, the Sony HT-DDW790 because it is rated good and already has speakers. Any help would be appreciated.
post #26 of 634 Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 AM

There is an optical digital output from the EZ47 that you can use to your Sony receiver to give you full DD or DTS output. IMO, co-ax or optical are the same.

The only glitch I have been bothered by so far is that after every DVD watching session, you need to press "TV/VCR" on the Panny remote, otherwise I get no picture from my Samsung t5054 plasma even after switching inputs to "cable box"

I wonder if I use a high-quality splitter from the wall coax and send a individual signal to the TV and another to the EZ47 I can avoid this minor problem? Not such a problem for me, but the wife keeps calling me at the office wondering what's wrong with the TV!

I continue to be perfectly please with the DVD PQ of this player. As I've said before, this is the keeper until there are cheap, quality HD-DVD/ BRD players available in a year or 2
post #27 of 634 Old 06-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastexas View Post

Not such a problem for me, but the wife keeps calling me at the office wondering what's wrong with the TV!

With WIFE'S one must KISS or you will be in trouble. When will they make a set that if you want DVD all you would have to do is push one button or simply say "DVD". Same for VCR etc.
post #28 of 634 Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM

I've noticed that there are is quite an obsession with Panasonic here... Okay Panny people... question... I am seriously considering getting a Panny combo dmrez47vk[u]... however I have noticed that all the Panny's that I've seen DO NOT come with an IR Blaster... why is this... I anticipate problems without one... and if so would I be able to purcase one later (aftermarket)... is there even gonna be a connection???
If so what would be a good aftermarket one??

Any recommendations/comments/concerns... Thanks
post #29 of 634 Old 06-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Tex, the EZ47 or EZ475(includes HDMI cable) doesn't have an IR blaster or port. The Panny is hard to beat if you want to record widescreen programs. The VCR will record analog programs in 16:9, but not digital programming. The DVD-RAM is like a hard drive -- Random Access Memory -- allowing playback and recording at the same time AND can record widescreen/16:9 digital programming. NONE of the other disc formats allow all of this.
I looked at all of the available DVD-RAM recorders and most are lacking in some way. I don't think that any others support DVD-RAM cartridges. LG doesn't have S-video inputs and Toshiba didn't seem to support DL recording. I watch for sales and have accumulated several hundred discs -- most at $1 or less each on sale at Best Buy or computer shows. I've never had a problem with Fuji or Panasonic discs and I suspect they are both made by the same company.
I mainly record, watch, and then erase everything, but I have probably a hundred discs with TV recordings awaiting viewing or erasure.
I use standard CD cases and I number them and the discs with a permanent marker and use Post-Its for content on the cases.
I hope that this helps a bit. I wish that this thing was available with a LARGE HDD and recorded in true High Def instead of down-converting and then up-converting, but the OTA recordings of HD programming are ALMOST as good as the real thing recorded by my Sony DVR HDD250 . More than one tuner would be nice, too. wyntrout
post #30 of 634 Old 06-30-2007, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbudman View Post

Any recommendations/comments/concerns... Thanks

Check out the Panny DMR-EH75. It has an IR blaster which will control many cable and satellite tuners.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page