Toshiba all DVDR w/HDD models (RD-XSxx) - Comparison of Editing Features - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-29-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
NOTE: First, I was tempted to put this under the "all models" post for HDD replacement, however, while this is the same "all models" it is a completely different topic, so I decided to make a new thread.

This would include the three 3x series and the three 5x series: 32, 34, 35, 52, 54, 55.

I have had a RD-XS32 for a couple of years and just got a Philips DVDR3455H for practically nothing.

I don't know if I've been spoiled by my Toshiba or whether the Philips simply has truly poor editing features - but the bottom line is, I simply CANNOT live with this Philips unit so it is headed to eBay and I'm thinking I should replace it with something with equivalent or even superior (frankly, I think that may be impossible) editing features than my 32.

The only deficiencies (I don't really mean diviciencies, but rather inconveniences) I have noticed on the Toshiba is that I have to go to a completely different menu to assign a thumbnail to a chapter and the inability to delete a recording while another is being made.

If I can't edit in chapter breaks WHILE doing Time Shift, than I'm not interested in such a machine.

I think they key to editing superiority is the ability to fully edit commercials and what is the best thing to while sitting thru a commercial? Edit!

While I might consider some High Def DVD recorded w/HDD only if it could ALSO burn DVDs, I don't think I would buy any Blu-Ray unit because of the hideous compression logistics that seem to be present in every BR content I have ever see (at BB). ((On the other hand, I have NEVER seen a HD image anywhere and frankly, haven't seen any advertising to speak of for HD.))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-30-2007, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

and the inability to delete a recording while another is being made.

So you mean some others do let you delete a recording while recording?

I thought only more "sophisticated" PVRs could do that (e.g. Tivo and presumably cable PVRs).

This inability is indirectly what caused me to hose the hard drive on my XS32.. I put in a blank DVD to dub something off (so I could then quickly stop the recording, delete the dubbed recording, then restart the recording).. and it hung with the blank DVD-R in. I force rebooted (bad idea now I know), which corrupted it.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
No, I didn't suggest that some could delete while recording - only that it would be a nice feature - especially if you are running out of hard drive space!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page