Can you ID this device? Pioneer for 149 canuck bucks?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-2007, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Before I leave work early to cross the border and get "some" of these, can anyone ID the device in the crappy picture? This is a scan somone posted of a sale somewhere in Montreal. Fine print says they can be demos, refurbs and obsolete models.

Backup plan is a Pioneer 550H at futureshop for $379 US. Luckily it's less than an hour drive for me.

Thoughts?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Do you know what store it's at? It looks a little like a Pioneer DVR-440HX-S 80GB HDD DVD Recorder, which is a British model.

Anyway, with a flyer picture that ambiguous, along with what you mention is in the fine print, I wouldn't count on the picture and what they actually have in stock being one and the same.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Excellent Point about what is actually there, vs. what they print is there. This ad is for J.Sonic Services, posted in the Montreal Gazette. Someone just convinced me that taking that 150 and putting it towards the new 550H should make me happier. Can anybody argue the point the other way, if you assume it is the british model? Does that mean PAL tuner?

Someone should check these out though, and post what they found. Maybe someone from, say....ummm...Munschreaul!

Have at it - check out shopping * montrealgazette * com, look under the newspaper ads tab and then under the appliances and electonics sub-category.

There's your ad, mate. This place is directly across from one side of Ikea.

Hae a great day.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
No matter how shady they might seem, I actually assume it wouldn't be a British PAL model, as it wouldn't work here at all, since Canada is NTSC. I called them for you, (514) 341-5789, but I just got bounced around from one extension to another and never got to speak to anybody.

Although you might get a good deal on whatever this turns out to be, your best bet, IMO, is to go with the 550H or the 650H at FS or BB.

If you're coming up across the border, you might have to pack a few more greenbacks than you used to, in light of recent currency trends. I'm reminded of this Saturday Night Live sketch.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page