Which DVD Recorder do you feel is best for COPYING DVD's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-01-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Sony HX-900 and LOVE IT for the HDD and other features.

Will "most likely/eventually" go out and get a Phillips 3575 from Circuit City when they arrive. "HOPEFULLY" that new batch of units will have the new FIRMWARE in them, and not have as many hiccupps as others have had. Especially with the digital side of the tuner for recording. Plus the editing hiccups, but that seems to be avoided(along with the firmware update if you want it from Phillips) by doing the EDITING FIRST(commercials, beggining/ending, etc...) and THEN dividing the title(if applicable). Not the other way around.

Anyway, I am also very familiar with the old Panasonics and always liked their recording capabilities.

I especially LOVED(and miss) the FR mode to be able to put content onto a DVD-R up to 2HR 55min without really any resolution loss.

I know, out there now near me and everywhere, that the Panny ES15(and other analog based DVD recorders) are going SUPERCHEAP to get rid of them.

Especially on OPEN BOXES when you can get them for $80 or less.

I would be using this type of DVD Recorder ONLY for Dubbing DVD's.

I am pretty sure that it is/was a good idea to avoid the Panny ES20/ES40V models, since you could not PAUSE during an FR recording on those models.

But it was changed back(I had a Panny ES30V which did this without a problem. It was the predecessor to the ES20/ES40V) with the ES15 and ES25 models, correct?

Anyway, that is what I want to know.

Are those Panny's NOW just as good, or should I be looking at the leftover Pioneers, Sony's, or OTHERS for that application.

Like I said I really liked the Panny's FR mode for this type of thing, but if you could sway me into thinking that the Pioneer and it's MN modes just look better, i will go that route.

Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have two standalone DVD\\Hard Drive recorders,
but for copying DVD's I use the burners (and software)
in my computer.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-04-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi SteelersRule!

I have an HX-900, too, thanks in part to you, and I love it. Gets my vote as maybe the best HDD recorder ever made in terms of quality. Tried hard to get another and never could. Finally got a Toshiba XS-35 which is good except very sensitive to the CPMS flags.

I used to use my 2 LiteOn 5005's (with the patch) to copy DVD's and they were very good for this, but now I do it all on my laptop or desktop PC. With the new multi-drives it's a snap. You can buy a great Phillips DL, DVD-RAM, +/- R/RW external drive for as little as $40-50 at NewEgg.com when on sale, if you don't already have a burner.

Anyway, you can make a digital (lossless) copy of DVD's on your PC or laptop - that's the way to go. Use DVD-Decryptor, DVD_Shrink, ImgBurn, etc. (all free) or other software. Lots of info all around but post here or PM me if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help.

If you are burning mostly non-protected stuff you record off TV, then you might want to give the Toshiba XS-35 a look. It has very full-featured editing capabilities and the best Menu generation features I've ever seen in a HDD recorder. Takes some reading and head-scratching to figure out the interface, but once you do, it's awesome. Comes close to PC software in features. Image quality close to the HX-900 (rare to find!). You can even save images from your recorded video and use them as Menu backgrounds. Pretty cool! (It has some quirks, but I'm getting used to them. It is a bit picky about media used. Another advantage of the PC approach is a wider range of media compatibility and almost limitless flexibility.)

Good luck!

Bron
post #4 of 12 Old 08-04-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

Hi SteelersRule!

I have an HX-900, too, thanks in part to you, and I love it. Gets my vote as maybe the best HDD recorder ever made in terms of quality. Tried hard to get another and never could. Finally got a Toshiba XS-35 which is good except very sensitive to the CPMS flags.

I used to use my 2 LiteOn 5005's (with the patch) to copy DVD's and they were very good for this, but now I do it all on my laptop or desktop PC. With the new multi-drives it's a snap. You can buy a great Phillips DL, DVD-RAM, +/- R/RW external drive for as little as $40-50 at NewEgg.com when on sale, if you don't already have a burner.

Anyway, you can make a digital (lossless) copy of DVD's on your PC or laptop - that's the way to go. Use DVD-Decryptor, DVD_Shrink, ImgBurn, etc. (all free) or other software. Lots of info all around but post here or PM me if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help.

If you are burning mostly non-protected stuff you record off TV, then you might want to give the Toshiba XS-35 a look. It has very full-featured editing capabilities and the best Menu generation features I've ever seen in a HDD recorder. Takes some reading and head-scratching to figure out the interface, but once you do, it's awesome. Comes close to PC software in features. Image quality close to the HX-900 (rare to find!). You can even save images from your recorded video and use them as Menu backgrounds. Pretty cool! (It has some quirks, but I'm getting used to them. It is a bit picky about media used. Another advantage of the PC approach is a wider range of media compatibility and almost limitless flexibility.)

Good luck!

Bron

Yep, still love my HX-900, and it is going strong.

Near me in NW Pennsylvania, there is a Sony Outlet store.

About 3 months ago, they had a few REFURBISHED HX-900's for $179+tax and a BRAND NEW HX-715 for $199+tax.

I bought the HX-715 to give it a shot because it had the title divide, the SSP mode(2HR 30min), and it was an upconvert DVD player as well with HDMI out.

i tried it out, but returned it because the newer TVGuide Menu on that unit did not play well with Time Warner Cable.

It always set the clock ahead 3-4 hours for some reason and cost me some recordings at the time(this was in April, and Friday Night Lights, LOST, Smallville, ER episodes were getting really good coming down the stretch) and this really pissed me off.

But I could kick myself in the ass for doing it because about a month later, TWC got the TVGuide thing straightened out(My HX-900 NOW receives it's TVGuide data with no problems after going "DARK" when TWC took over in Nov. 2006 from Adelphia, who ALWAYS sent it out with no problems), but I had already returned the unit to the Sony Outlet store, and proceeded to inform another poster(FAS, I believe) where to go get one since he was near where I am.

Next time I will keep my mouth shut

Keep all the goodies for myself.

Thanx for the recommendation on the external DVD recorder, but I am just such an amateur/novice when it comes to computers that I don't trust myself with installing new software and gettinng it to work right.

I got an Open Box Panny ES15 for $85 out the door from Circut City the other day, and am happy with it.

I have had Panny's in the past, and liked them alot. the LP mode is EXCELLENT, and the FR mode(Boy, I wish my Sony had that) is excellent up too 2HR 55min. EXCELLENT RESOLUTION on one DVD-R.

Plus, like the Sony, the Panny "plays well" with MIJ(and Taiwan) MAXELL DVD-R/-RW/+RW. Never a bad burn yet on either the Sony or the Panny with that media, and I just picked up the last of the MIJ Maxell 50PK's in my area, at least that I know of.

Later.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-04-2007, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you made the right choice going with a Panny because as good as the Pioneer's were from what I remember reading the Panny's Full Resolution in the "LP" 4 hour mode was better than the Pioneer's & I would suspect that in the "FR" Mode the "LP" Mode has to have something to do with the picture quality when recording programs over 2 hours.

I only have an older Panny clone that doesn't have the "Full Resoultion" in the LP Mode but as you know my daughter has the ES30V & she tells me she can see a difference in her older Panny E55 without the full resolution in the LP Mode & the ES30V with the full resolution in the LP Mode.

I've been thinking of grabbing a Panny ES15 myself but everytime I say I'm going to go hunt one down something seems to come up

When & if you get the Philips & if you have the time I'd like to see a Test Report on it
post #6 of 12 Old 08-04-2007, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the Sony is one of the most reliable burners - rarely any failures - in fact, none that I can recall recently. I read about the clsoeouts and tried to find a SONY Outlet store near me. I found a store near DC, but it turned out to be a "SONY STYLE" store (or something like that). So I missed that great opportunity.

Enjoy your Panny!
post #7 of 12 Old 08-06-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

i also use the very excellent es15. 3 hour movies look great in lp mode. i just recorded the hbohd showing of 'the rock' friday am. so now i have it on my sa8000hd set top box w/hard drive in HD and a very good dvd-r of 'the rock'. both in anamorphic widescreen, of course. WOOHOO!! as they say. the only downside of the es15 is that anamorphic w/s flics wont play on 4x3 tvs w/out looking vertically stretched, but ive finally purged my hovel of said tvs. ps i used s video circuits/cables w/ sima ct2 inserted.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-06-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

i also use the very excellent es15. 3 hour movies look great in lp mode. i just recorded the hbohd showing of 'the rock' friday am. in anamorphic widescreen, no less. so now i have it on my sa8000hd set top box w/hard drive in HD and a very good dvd-r of 'the rock'. WOOHOO!! as they say. the only downside of the es15 is that anamorphic w/s flics wont play on 4x3 tvs w/out looking vertically stretched, but ive finally purged my hovel of said tvs.

Great stuff. Just curious. What is your setup for getting the full widescreen image from the SA8300HD to the panny?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-07-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

i have the sa8000hd, not the sa8300hd. i dont know if the analog outs are as flexible as the 8000hd.
'assuming' that they are, set aspect ratio controller (if remote is same, ar control button is way down on bottom right of remote, just above PIP control buttons.) to 'stretch' , thats basically it. that will cause the image on 4x3 tv (or w/s set to 4x3 w' side black bars) to be horizontally squished. on 16x9 screen, it will look normal (wide). most of the hdtv content lately is copy protected so if u still want to continue u may be skirting the law. youll need a sima ct2 or the like to actually copy anything. use the s video circuit, its better pq. 'the rock' was originally in a 2.35x1 ar, hbohd zoomed/scaled/?? it out to 16x9, still very stunning! i called SIMA corp. last week. they said they no longer import and/or market the ct-2, ct-200, or scc-2 'enhancers'.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

i have the sa8000hd, not the sa8300hd. i dont know if the analog outs are as flexible as the 8000hd.
'assuming' that they are, set aspect ratio controller (if remote is same, ar control button is way down on bottom right of remote, just above PIP control buttons.) to 'stretch' , thats basically it. that will cause the image on 4x3 tv (or w/s set to 4x3 w' side black bars) to be horizontally squished. on 16x9 screen, it will look normal (wide). most of the hdtv content lately is copy protected so if u still want to continue u may be skirting the law. youll need a sima ct2 or the like to actually copy anything. use the s video circuit, its better pq. 'the rock' was originally in a 2.35x1 ar, hbohd zoomed/scaled/?? it out to 16x9, still very stunning!

I have had the 8300 for well over a year. It can't be done. There is no way to make anamorphic DVD's.

Ray
post #11 of 12 Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The 2006 Pio 640 is incomparable for ease in copying burned non-copy right protected DVDs- In fact the Pio DVDR's (HDD) are the only ones that will do this. They are actually as easy if not easier than a computer. Pannys will not do this.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martig View Post

I have had the 8300 for well over a year. It can't be done. There is no way to make anamorphic DVD's.

im just learning that some sa hd stbs have different software installed, even in the same model. mine apparently have SARA (?) software which allows the squeezing effect while other sa stbs may have PASSPORT (?) which apparently doesnt allow the effect. im basically clueless on this issue, so far. maybe talk w/ cable co?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page