Toshiba Error 7000...what to do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I accidentally unplugged my Toshiba XS54 while it was totally idle, but when I plugged it back in, I got ER 7000.

I haven't taken it apart to see if the HD is actually not responding, but what things should I try?

I know there's a thread about replacing the hard disk, but is there anything I can do to reformat this one?

thanks--
g@hoxnet.com
--Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Which 7000 error code are your receiving?

From what I have gathered, the ER 7061 code is for the hard drive and the ER 7071 code is for the dvd drive.

If it's 7061, swapping the hdd may solve this problem. Make sure that you use the recommended replacement drive.

If it's 7071, shut the unit off by holding the power button until the time is displayed (instead of the error code). Unplug the unit. When you open the case, you will see a white plastic piece at the front of the dvd drive near the silver plastic hinge on the face of the unit's dvd opening. The white plastic piece slips in the groove of the hinge to stop the units dvd door from being opened while the drive is engaged. Push the white plastic piece in toward the dvd drive; sometimes the mechanism gets sticky. Plug the unit back in and press the power button. This may solve the 7071 error.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

It's not 7000-something, it's just 7000 even.
BTW, I replaced the DVD drive on the unit a few weeks earlier, but that seemed to work okay...
thanks
--Gary
post #4 of 7 Old 08-02-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If it's 7000 and it's the original drive, likely the buggers gone bad. I think some folks have tried them in their PCs to see if they could get them to format. Best to replace the thing.

Before that though, first carefully pull the cable from the rear of the drive. Not the whole PC board assembly which plugs into the HDD but only the ribbon cable itself from the socket on the small PC board. Then carefully reinsert the cable checking the depth of the fit and trying to power up with different stop points along the way. These ribbon cables/connectors are very touchy.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM

With regard to a 7071 code - check ribbon connections to board, specifically the narrow ribbon connecting to the middle of the board near/behind the back-side of the rewrite - check the ribbon to make sure none of the contacts are bent and/or touching one another and that ribbon is securely attached to the board's harness.

Had a unit in which the 7071 code/error was recieved after replacing a rewrite - found a contact on ribbon which appeared to be slightly contacting another contact - straightened contact with small bladed screw driver and reattached ribbon to board - which cleared 7071 code/error and proper operation of unit resulted.

Note: due to location of ribbon connection to board, it is easy to have ribbon pull out of harness and/or twist/bend contacts in ribbon when changing out rewrite - best to disconnect and re-connect ribbon before/after change out.

GL
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavisloop View Post

I accidentally unplugged my Toshiba XS54 while it was totally idle, but when I plugged it back in, I got ER 7000.

I haven't taken it apart to see if the HD is actually not responding, but what things should I try?

I know there's a thread about replacing the hard disk, but is there anything I can do to reformat this one?

thanks--
g@hoxnet.com

--Gary

I think this happens sometimes if you have a DVD in the drive when you pull the plug and start it back up. But if you are still having the problem, I guess that's not the solution. In any case, pulling the plug on an idle RD-XS54 should not cause any problems whatsoever. Are you currently using TVGOS?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM

good info to me, which cleared 7071 code/error and proper operation of unit resulted. thank you 1.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page